• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JustAnOldCoot

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2014
Idaho
Hi Folks,
I need to remove the worn out Pacnor 7mmx300 Weatherby barrel on my Sako L61R action. I was looking to move to 300 PRC to give the cartridge a whirl on a budget...is it possible for me to have my Savage barrel re-threaded to fit my Sako action? Seems like the Save barrels are 1.055 and Sako L61R's are 1.04 diameter (clearly thread pitches are different). Just wanted to see if anyone had an EDUCATED opinion on this one. Many thanks and God Bless!

Hi Folks,
I need to remove the worn out Pacnor 7mmx300 Weatherby barrel on my Sako L61R action. I was looking to move to 300 PRC to give the cartridge a whirl on a budget...is it possible for me to have my Savage barrel re-threaded to fit my Sako action? Seems like the Save barrels are 1.055 and Sako L61R's are 1.04 diameter (clearly thread pitches are different). Just wanted to see if anyone had an EDUCATED opinion on this one. Many thanks and God Bless!

I have a very educated opinion (27 years as a mfg engineer including machining), and I would not do it.

You mentioned the thread pitch is different between the two options. That's why not.

Reactions: JustAnOldCoot
No way you can machine the old thread off (only .015" difference in the major diameters) and re-thread and be any where close. The re-threaded barrel would just fall into the action.

Reactions: JustAnOldCoot
No way you can machine the old thread off (only .015" difference in the major diameters) and re-thread and be any where close. The re-threaded barrel would just fall into the action.

Even if you could get the diameters close to right, the pitch would be off enough that it will never work.

Even if you could get the diameters close to right, the pitch would be off enough that it will never work.
Oh no doubt! At the best you would be looking at split threads. I was just musing on how fine the pitch would have to be that taking .015" off the OD Would clean the shank up 100%. Even with 0-80 threads you would be under the minimun for the minor.