• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 10 issues

Metal Gear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
Ohio
I'm sad to say my Savage 10FCP-k in 308 has dissapointed me and is heading to Savage for repair.

Love the rifle, but it either has a short throat or too tight of a free bore, or maybe something different that is causing my issues. From what I have been told the rifle is designed around shooting the FGMM 168 SMK, and when I used this round it performed very well. However, with some other factory quality ammo I have tried it is giving me headaches.

Most recently, I decided to try out some Remington Premier Match 168 gr BTHP because I found it at a pretty good price and figured it would work well and be competative with the FGMM. Once again I encountered the issue of having a difficult time just to get the bolt closed with this ammo (same issue with some other ammo I have tried too). Upon extracting the live round I noticed scratches around the bullet. I gave another chance to a different round from a different box, and the same issue occurred only this time when I tried to extract the round it took the casing but left the bullet.

I knew about this problem months ago but decided to ignore it and just try different ammo out and hope I can at least find a couple types of match grade factory ammo beside the FGMM that worked well in the rifle. This time was the final straw as this happened only a few rounds into the start of my rifle time at the range. No one else was there and I didn't have my cleaning rod with me to knock the bullet out so I went home in a not so great mood. Luckily the day wasn't a complete waist because I did get some handgun shooting in before getting to the rifle.

So now my rifle will be in the hands of Savage. UPS is scheduled to pick the rifle up from my home this week, we shall see how long the wait is, and what the result will be. Rifle shoots 3/4-1 MOA with the FGMM 168's so no complaints there, but that can't be the only factory match ammo I can use in it.....

I read a recent post on here with the same issue with another type of Savage rifle, just hoping mine gets sent back to me fixed in a timely manner. If anyone has similar experiences with these rifles, or just some insight on the issue feel free to chime in as I am always happy to learn something.

Last edited:
Good luck with savage.My sons 6.5 has been back twice for the same problem.It is now fixed but the chamber is so rough it leave's marks on the brass.Had a bore scope ran up through it and they said the chamber was real rough.

Thanks. I hope they do a good job on mine and get it right the first time. If not I will probably just pay the money for a gunsmith to do it. The rifle is currently in transit to Savage. I will update this thread with the progress.