• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Savage fns11 30-06, converting to 7mm wsm?

CaveMD

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2012
Alabama
I have a 30-06 savage fns 11, I want to use the longer action of the 30-06 to convert to 7mm wsm and still be able to mag feed 180gr bergers for 500-800yd shots

I know I need 7 wsm barrel and a new bolt or bolt face. Is there anyone with a 30-06 savage and some 7 wsm bullets that could test and see how many 7wsm bullets will fit in the 30-06 magazine?

Re: Savage fns11 30-06, converting to 7mm wsm?

FOr an internal blind mag you'll get 1 less in there. If it holds 4 06 rounds you'll get 3 WSM.

ETA: The swap isn't necessarily as easy as a bolt head and barrel, especially if you want to feed from the factory internal magazine and feed rails.

There is an option to do this really easily, but you will have to inlet your stock. I have a 270 Win that I converted to a an LA 7 WSM. The first thing I did was contact Kevin Rayhill at Stockade about his bottom metal that utilizes a non-modified AI 300 Win Magazine to feed in the WSM. I then inletted the stock to fit the bottom metal. Once the inletting for the bottom metal is complete it is a barrel and bolt head swap situation that feeds flawlessly.

My suggestion would be to use the .280 Rem (essentially a 7mm-'06 with a slightly longer shoulder length) in lieu of the 7WSM. Same bolt face, essentially the same feeding due to the .30-'06 based case design. 1Kyd is possible with 150gr Noslers and on up. Twists of 1:9" are typical, but bullet weights over 168 may want faster.

The WSM will require a different bolt face/head, and some barrels may be based on the larger magnum barrel shank dameter. IMHO, it's not necessary when the .280 can do as well as it does, and barrel life will probably be superior.

For hunting, my 280 likes the Hornady Custom and Superformance 139gr SST loads; flat and hot.

Greg

I've done this exact swap, except mine was on a 116.

All you need is a magnum bolt head, new barrel, and a magnum centerfeed magazine.

You don't need to go to a DBM of any sort. You don't need to go to a large shank barrel or action.

It will hold 3- barely. They will feed just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My suggestion would be to use the .280 Rem (essentially a 7mm-'06 with a slightly longer shoulder length) in lieu of the 7WSM. Same bolt face, essentially the same feeding due to the .30-'06 based case design. 1Kyd is possible with 150gr Noslers and on up. Twists of 1:9" are typical, but bullet weights over 168 may want faster.

The WSM will require a different bolt face/head, and some barrels may be based on the larger magnum barrel shank dameter. IMHO, it's not necessary when the .280 can do as well as it does, and barrel life will probably be superior.

For hunting, my 280 likes the Hornady Custom and Superformance 139gr SST loads; flat and hot.

Greg</div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking, except I also want to ask why the hell you want 180 Bergers for a 800yd maximum shot. There's hardly any difference in wind between a 180 and a 162 at those ranges. But there is $15/box price difference, greater throat wear, and more recoil.

I have done load developkment with the .280 Rem using Nosler BT's in 120, 140, and 150gr weights. My guesses would be that the 150 would make it OK to 1Kyd supersonic, and the 140 to 800. I have the chambering in a pair old Ruger 77 MKI's. One is a 22" Sporter and the other a 24" Varmint. I develop for accuracy with the 24" varmint, then test the same loads in the 22" Sporter. So far, they seem to like the same loads well enough to use in the Varmint for precision work, and the Sporter for hunting. The chambering seems to be fairly easy to find accuracy with.

I concur with Ratbert both on account of cost, and also on account of recoil. It's not the kind of chambering capacity I'd really be wanting to shoot with any more bullet weight than is absolutely necessary; but that's just my own personal aversion to recoil talking.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I concur with Ratbert both on account of cost, and also on account of recoil. It's not the kind of chambering capacity I'd really be wanting to shoot with any more bullet weight than is absolutely necessary; but that's just my own personal aversion to recoil talking.
</div></div>

Even if recoil doesn't bother you, I've never met anyone who was made a MORE accurate shooter by increasing recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geargrinder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done this exact swap, except mine was on a 116.

All you need is a magnum bolt head, new barrel, and a magnum centerfeed magazine.

You don't need to go to a DBM of any sort. You don't need to go to a large shank barrel or action.

It will hold 3- barely. They will feed just fine. </div></div>

Thanks, I'm glad someone actually answered my question
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaveMD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geargrinder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done this exact swap, except mine was on a 116.

It will hold 3- barely. They will feed just fine. </div></div>

Thanks, I'm glad someone actually answered my question
smile.gif
</div></div>

Believe it or not, this is a discussion forum. Not a Q and A session. When you ask a question in a public discussion forum you cannot complain when the mob chooses what aspect of the question it wants to discuss. You are mining for answers, not having them delivered by fedex. Sometimes when you sink a mine you hit gold and sometimes it caves in and buries you. Frequently it's somewhere in the middle, take what profit you find and do not necessarily toss aside valuable nuggets just because they were not the gold you went looking for.

Man, that pun got deep fast. Ha, I can't stop.

I am also interested in building a Savage 7mm WSM to shoot 180 gr Bergers. All I have currently is a large shank barrel...nothing else. I'm looking for suggestions from Savage 7mm WSM shooters who may have had to build their rifles. Should I start with a 30-06 like Cave MD or start with a 270 WSM or 300 WSM and just swap barrels? I definately want a DBM. The reason I think someone may recommend the 30-06 may be better is because the long action may give more clearance for the long round and may provide less feeding problems from a DBM. All opinions welcome. Thanks.

Before you jump in here, have you looked into shooting 208 A-MAX's from your 06?