• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR17 vs KAC SR25 E2 CC (ACC)

In my experience the scar throws flyers at long range due to the pencil barrel quickly heating up.
The scar would not be my first choice for a 800m rifle. I feel it works best as a lightweight battle rifle with an Acog or a red dot

QUOTE="RaymondPembrose, post: 8032184, member: 140388"]
SCAR Heavies are cool and lightweight for what they are, but the recoil impulse is sharp and you're paying for the coolness more than anything else. As others have already said the SCAR is a battle rifle and the KAC is a DMR/sniper rifle. In my eyes, the KAC is a more capable platform at longer ranges that can perform as well or close at closer ranges to a SCAR, and it won't eat optics.

13" SCAR's are dumb and not what you want for an 800m gun. It will throw flyers. 16" gas gun is where its at.
[/QUOTE]

In my experience the scar throws flyers at long range due to the pencil barrel quickly heating up.
The scar would not be my first choice for a 800m rifle. I feel it works best as a lightweight battle rifle with an Acog or a red dot
Again, to each his own. Does it tend to string shots after extended shooting, especially with a can on? Sure... thats why I bought the 13 inch barrel. Problem solved and ive gone through multiple mags of fast fire and still had no issues grouping. Its predictable and consistent stringing, so id have no problem still making hits. My shooting buddy has a 16 inch Scar, and with 168s or 175s its consistent at 1000m all day long. Not everyone has the same capability we do, or the same experience, but for anyone who spends the time with a single platform and feeds it properly, uses good glass, and good shooting techniques, any weapon can shoot well.

Would it be wonderful as a CQ rifle with a red dot or acog? Sure... but why not have a multi role weapon with a variable low power optic just in case? Sometimes I like dragging 3-4 rifles out to shoot long range, other times I go with friends or to instruct, and its nice to just have a 7 lb rifle that I can join in on the fun with and know I can do anything from zero yards to 800m without issue. Is my 20 inch LMT better at 1000m? Sure... 800M? sure... but its also boring to take a known powerhouse out and just plink steel over and over and over.

Has OP shot either one of them. Regardless of what anyone says about either. It's going to come down to personal preference. I know for me, I wanted to like the scar, but I got behind one and I wasnt a fan. I have an ar 10 and it didn't do anything better to make me want to get it.

Reactions: dbransco
KAC, FTW.

First off, they've NEVER LET ME DOWN. I mean that when I was in the army, they supplied us with cutting edge free shit, stuff that wasn't on the market, prototype shit. LOVE those guys (and gals). Their shit has saved lives (and taken 'em too) both with equal zeal and efficiency. FN made my SAW and our 240's and the beater M16 I carried in basic. I also have pretty hi-speed FAL too.

But when it came to me buying one with my own money, I went KAC and didn't look back. As for the can, dude, fuck it and just save for the new KAC PRS can that fits that mount. Their new cans are really nice and I'd go so far as to say it's the best all around can made, equally well made for precision or abuse or anything in between.

IMG_0861.JPG

Reactions: tex68w
Has OP shot either one of them. Regardless of what anyone says about either. It's going to come down to personal preference. I know for me, I wanted to like the scar, but I got behind one and I wasnt a fan. I have an ar 10 and it didn't do anything better to make me want to get it.

Good advice here. People get wrapped up with what the “in” crowd is running. They are both good tools and may or may not serve your purpose. I have had 5 or 6 SCARs and they have all shot .75 MOA or better at 100 yds and been very accurate out to 450-500 yds where I typically used them. I don’t have any groups or confirmation for their accuracy at distance. I also had a SR-25 and it was fantastic, I just don’t feel real comfortable with AR10 platforms for whatever reason. It seemed real well built and shot fine. Test target was right at .7 MOA and I did not test for long enough to share any real relevant data.

Last edited:
KAC > Scar all day. Literally the only possible advantage to the Scar is the piston won't have as much blowback when suppressed (just whatever pushes back in the barrel which a good can should resolve). The KAC doesn't have bad blowback though due to the carrier design (it's an LMT) and a Geissele charging handle basically negates the rest.

Not sure where you're seeing suppressor mounting issues with the KAC but the ones I have met have been 5/8-24 with a regular shoulder. The Scar muzzle on the other hand has some mounting issues, some muzzle devices won't work with it because there's basically no shoulder, I know I couldn't use my AAC SD mounts on either of the Scar 17's I had.

I never killed any optics with my Scar's but one thing I noticed which drove me crazy and the reason I dumped them was a wondering zero. Not sure what causes it in them but they both did it. Sometimes the zero would shift during a shooting session, but it would always be a different POI from one day to the next. Within 1.5-2MOA of previous but just annoying because I could never trust it.

The LMT MWS in standard is a little heavier than the KAC but IMO it's worth it. I LOVE the platform and it's ability to swap calibers so easily and the fact the forend is stiffer than crap so you don't have to worry about IR lasers shifting from flex (if that's your thing) or the receiver flexing and changing POI from loading the bipod. The new Mlok version of the MWS is about .5lbs lighter too which is pretty significant. There's also lightweight barrel options and you can always have it dimpled to cut weight too.

This is what I'd do if it were my money:

- Buy Mars-H stripped lower and all LMT parts to complete it. It comes with all the bolt catch parts and mag stuff so you'd need: enhanced buffer tube, QD end plate, castle nut, buffer/spring, buffer retainer and spring, pivot pins/springs/detents, safety detent and spring. I'd get Geissele trigger of my choice, and the KAC trigger guard since it's nicer than the LMT options.

- Get a SBA3 brace and build it out as a pistol lower first since ATF ruled that as long as it's a pistol first it can always go back and forth.

- Get one of their DMR stocks because they're amazing (honestly puts the magpul PRS to shame). Last year they ran them 50% off for black friday I believe so I'd wait to check that out. Also carbine stock of your choice. Sopmod is great but so are plenty of others.

- Order Mlok upper. If you call LMT they will do the order any way you like it, they are great to deal with. Personally I'd try to get it without the CH and just get a Geissele but I'd definitely get their BCG because it's the best one money can buy (KAC uses it). I'd get a 13.5" CL barrel for a pistol setup, and a 18" SS barrel for a precision setup.

- Nice "lightweight" optic setup whether its a 1-8 like an ATACR, CQBSS, or PMII short dot or something more precision like a MK5 3.6-18 with a 45 degree RMR as well. If going the precision optic route I'd also get a dedicated red dot like an Aimpoint T2 or Trijicon MRO to run with the 13.5" setup and I'd put both in good mounts with bolts and clamp bars, not any QD crap. If opting for a 1-8 I would just run that with both setups.

Thats my advice after having no less than two dozen large frame AR type setups.

I've decided to just buy both and make my own decision. Either keep both or sell the one I like less. Thinking I'll go really lightweight with the SCAR with a COMP M5 and an ATACR on SR25.

Not sure where you're seeing suppressor mounting issues with the KAC but the ones I have met have been 5/8-24 with a regular shoulder. The Scar muzzle on the other hand has some mounting issues, some muzzle devices won't work with it because there's basically no shoulder, I know I couldn't use my AAC SD mounts on either of the Scar 17's I had.

Everything I've seen says that all the current SR25s, including the ACC/CC, come with 3/4-24 threads. And they have the same issue as the SCAR where they don't really have a shoulder, and the muzzle devices time off of the crown rather than a shoulder. Definitely wish I could just buy one threaded 5/8-24; not interested in rethreading.

Reactions: tex68w
SR-25s have always been 3/4x24, and it’s not a problem there is plenty of crown to use. More than ok the SCAR and with better options for muzzle devices.

KAC SR25 plus MAMS for the win. Add a 762 QDC to ice the cake.

Not sure how valid this is but have heard the SCARs 17s are really hard on optics....

Not really interested in getting a MAMS or a QDC at the moment. Both are expensive and heavy.

I'm ditching my MAMS for the yet to be released QDC brake.

Haven't heard of this. I'm assuming this will be a traditional brake vs what the MAMS is?

Damn good looking rifle! I only wish it had right side bolt hold open like the MARS.

its one thing to our cheap optics like Aimpoint, Nightforce or Schmidts on a SCAR, putting a clip on you bought with your own money in there takes big balls.
^ why I shouldn’t have bought a scar.

Fn products run forgoes according to that big range in Vegas so they have durability going for them.
I paid $3500 for a 17 during a panic then added a trigger and mag well so I’m stuck with it unless I want to loose money. But it is light handy and reliable. If it wasn’t an optics killer I would like it a lot more.
Breaking a optic with a lifetime warranty is a different story than breaking electro optic clip ons that don’t have warranty or in some fasss zero support when it breaks. Like older and grey market thermals / peqs/ etc.

A thread about optic breakage that includes stuff like .mil changing what optics can be ran and also TNVC reccomding not running nv/thermal/laser on scar

Oh and then there’s this from a previous discussion. So lol at the people that say they don’t break optics. This isn’t “just some guy on the Internet “
I guess I'm one of those anecdotal posters. As mentioned eariler I had a few ACOGs and a NF die on top of a Mk17 and had Leupold Mk4 that got the shit shaken out of it. During my time using the platform professionally since 12'' I've seen a few other dudes have similar problems too. Again I don't know why the SCAR-Hs are rough on optics, I mean its just a .308, I don't think its recoil but more the recoil impulse though the upper receiver. As it was said above the new SOPMOD stuff is being hardened, and I don't think that any of us who have used the MK17 professionally are surprised.

On top of this I've never seen the problem in Mk20s, and of the few SCAR-H I've seen ran though courses, I haven't seen the same issue but again that was less than a hand full of rifles and a couple thousand rounds. My bottom line, a few hundred rounds though your SCAR-H while wearing a Vortex PST over the last few years isn't exactly a definitive test, you might get away with it for a while but make sure your warranty is good for your optics or have tax payers buy them, lol.

Last edited:
I would go with a MWS.

Pof reputation is horrible but a lot of people like that new revolution.

MWS for the budget minded and those who want to easily swap calibers and SR-25 for those who simply want the best. I am fortunate to have a SR-25 once again, ECC K1 clone, but if I didn't have the budget for it I would certainly choose the LMT as my alternative.

Pictured are the ECC M110 K1 clone and EMC Delta Turn-in with URX3.1 rail swap also K1 clone-ish.

Attachments

• RwsGrmb.jpg
    RwsGrmb.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 296
  • jQP6gbq.jpg
    jQP6gbq.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Reactions: Blackfoot 7
I've kinda decided to get both. Got a SCAR17 for a good deal about a month ago, and now waiting to see what 6.5 creedmoor news is upcoming from KAC before buying an SR25. A 16" 6.5CM SR25 sounds really fun, so hopefully I'll be able to buy one as a complete rifle at some point. As of now, KAC is only offering a 22" 6.5CM upper, which I'm not very interested in. Gonna be SBR'ing the SCAR17 to 13".

I've kinda decided to get both. Got a SCAR17 for a good deal about a month ago, and now waiting to see what 6.5 creedmoor news is upcoming from KAC before buying an SR25. A 16" 6.5CM SR25 sounds really fun, so hopefully I'll be able to buy one as a complete rifle at some point. As of now, KAC is only offering a 22" 6.5CM upper, which I'm not very interested in. Gonna be SBR'ing the SCAR17 to 13".

You can get a Deadshot barrel for the SCAR in 6.5C as well.

Reactions: theLBC