• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sendero or 700p or XCR Tactical

danb303

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Alabama
I want to add another gun to the collection. I mostly let them set in the safe but when I do use them I usually just shoot paper. I do some deer hunting and have one shooting house that has a possible 450 yd shot. I currently take my 7 mag (Weatherby Vanguard) to that shooting house. Not a fan of the Vanguard so it will get the axe....

I have narrowed it down to either the Sendero or the 700p and possibly the XCR tactical. I would take a 300 win mag but would rather stay with the 7mm (I think)

For the split duty what is the better deal? I know they no longer make the 7mm P but they are still available. That is what I am leaning towards but I would like more input. THANKS!!!
Looking for things like twist, weight, stock good or bad etc....

Re: Sendero or 700p or XCR Tactical

I have an XCR in .300 mag. It has a 26" 1 in 10 twist barrel. I think they only come in .300, .308, and .223. Mine shoots great, will shoot .5 - .75 moa all day long with the proper loads. It is well balanced and not too heavy for a dedicated hunting rifle.

I have shot many Senderos and I think the HS stock they have is a little better (stiffer) than the B&C stock that comes with the XCR. Although I really enjoy my XCR, the Sendero is a slight step up in quality in my opinion (mainly based on the stock). Altough I really like the trynite finish on all the SS metal of the XCR. Also, you will probably have a wider variety of chamberings in the Sendero.

Having said that, I don't think I would trade my XCR for a Sendero, as mine happens to shoot extremely well with a wide range of bullets 150 - 180 grain.

Either way you go, they should all be shooters, able to fill your needs.

EDIT ( I think the weight of an XCR is 8.5 to 9 lbs, without optics/rings/bases)

I think you will be fine with any of them. They are all completely capable of doing the job your intending them to do. I have the 700P in 300 RUM and love it but I wouldn't be biased to get an XCR or Sendero as long as I could get them in the chambering I was looking for. If you want 7mm then I'd just look for any one of those 3 guns in a 7mm and get it.

I would also chime in and say any of the 3 mentioned may suit you well. I do have a few questions that come to mind.

Are you in a unfriendly hunting climate? Reason sendero sfII is available in a ss finish and the xcr is stainless that is coated. The pss is regular steel, and will require slightly more maintenance if in inclement weather.

Second, I prefer the hs stocks, many prefer the bc. Have you tried both on? The xcr has the bc stock, the sendero/pss have hs.

Is weight a big concern? Senderos are available in fluted versions that will shave a little weight.

Last, It appears you are a fan of the .284 bullet, this will limit you as the xcr( unsure if they do 7mm), pss( they are out there) and sendero( few of older models, unsure on newer sf II models) are far and few in these calibers. You may want to look into a .308 bullet as they seem to be a lot more popular in these series of rifles.

Good luck in your search, happy hunting etc

I'd get a Sendero. Just looking on gunbroker and it looks like it will be hard to find an xcr tactial or pss in 7mm. The Sendero is a great gun from what I've read. I'll be picking mine up today in 7mm saum...

I have a sendero in 7mm STW. Great shooter just heavy. My nephew just bought a XCR in 308, I am impressed with the gun, fairly mid weight well balanced ,great trigger. My next gun will be a xcr in 300 mag..good luck with your decision, and the XCR should save you a few bucks over the Sendero..gun for gun

All helpful information. Thanks.

The only reason that I like the 7mm is that I don't reload yet and the 7mm seems to have a real good selection of ammo in this area. I just found a used Sendero with a brake installed in a 300 win mag. I am watching it.

thanks for the info

You can get reloads made from a few diferent guys here. Talk to Chad from Dallas Reloads he goes by chadtrg42. He could make whatever rounds you want until you can reload.

I have an XCR Compact Tactical that I bought here in the classifieds. I used to own a 7mm RM in the original Sendero. Love the CT, Loved the Sendero (and wish I still had it). Both rifles shoot/shot sub-MOA, the sendero with boring consistentcy (every load I ever came up with). Of the two, I think the Sendero was the better gun, but my CT is much handier in tight quarters.

Can't abide that palm swell on the PS......

Kaiser Norton

I have an SPS Tactical (308) with the 20" barrel. I love it and it shoots real well.

I don't mind the palm swell. I'm a little larger than average so my hands fit the swell pretty well.

I bid on a 700p 7mm but I didn't meet the reserve. If I were in a hurry I would likely try to meet it but I hate to get in a hurry..

Does anyone know the weights and the twist of those 3 guns? I think Rem website has the twist but never the weights???