• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SH ColdBore Challenge ! Test yourself...

Lies, Black Magic, Voodoo... Impossible.

Clearly you sold your soul to the devil in order to accomplish this, my guess it was on that hairpin corner towards Jacob's house, he is known to camp out there waiting for souls to entice.

Well, we did dance around a fire and say a secret chant. one step away from cutting our hands and becoming blood brother's so that had to be it ;)

I've heard people say that their zero changes when they go somewhere to shoot a match.
Two weeks ago I zeroed at 100 yards two AR-15s with Hornady VMax 55 in Colorado, at DA of 6,000'. This past week I took them to Rifles Only and they both were still zeroed at 100 yards with VMax 55, at DA of 1800'. There probably was black magic involved, and I think it was caused by Corona (Jacob's dog, the beer, or maybe both).

Or maybe Southwest Airlines banged the rifles around in the plane's baggage area just perfectly, so the scopes were exactly set for the conditions in Texas. If this is the case, I hope Southwest reversed the procedure so they're now back to Colorado DAs.

If your rifle looks at all like a boar's head, Corona will carry it around and adjust its zero for you.

If your rifle looks at all like a boar's head, Corona will carry it around and adjust its zero for you.
Unfortunately no, my AR doesn't look much like a boar's head. Furthermore, I didn't have any steak for Corona, so all she did was try to stay out of the wind and try to get everyone to scratch her belly.

ehusevaq.jpg

For those of you who have not been to Rifles Only, this is Corona:
ehusevaq.jpg
yma8uqej.jpg

Here is my final entry to the cold bore challenge. I am very happy I did this target, it has given me a lot of confidence in my CB for this rifle. When I started this the AW I used to shoot it was new to me and I only had fired a few rounds threw it for a quick load work up. I have spent the last 5 years shooing a TRG (primarily) and the AW is a bit different in ergonomics. I had one a few years ago but never shot it because I like my TRG better. But now I have given the AW a good chance it has grown on me and I am getting comfortable with it.

You can see the real progression of my comfort level in the rifle in this target from start to finish. I don't get a chance to shoot that often with work and kids so it has taken me a few months to get there. But I can confidently say that this rifle has no cold bore shift and if there is any it is the shooter. This is not always the case, but I would be willing to say the majority of the CB deviation is more cold shooter than anything to do with the rifle.

Here are the final results, all the same load with the same rifle shot prone at 100 yards 5 rounds each:

Here is my cold bore from today. 100m. Figured I'd just stop right there.
emazanyz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Un fortunately, that was the only shot I was able to fire. ?
a2ydeva2.jpg

Last edited:
Dayum! I peeled the handle off my bolt on my 300WM, but the entire handle came off. That stinks! But on a shinier note.... Excellent first shot!

Ryan

Does this qualify???

6mmXC with a 21” benchmark barrel
H4350@39g
105 Hybrid ~.020 from the lands
Norma brass
CCI primer
Per Magnetospeed over 8 shots = 2968fps SD=4 ES=13
Uncorrected pressure 28.77 @ 47 degrees called for 4.2 mil at 700

700 yards fouled coldbore (about 250 rounds down the tube since cleaning) and cold shooter, prone with a harris and a beanbag for the rear. The impact was 5" right of center and I was not holding any wind on purpose.
6mmxc006.jpg

Then I shot a group of 5 also at 700 yards holding .25 mil into the wind, group measures 3.5 inches overall and 2 inches vertical.
6mmxc005.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clear 62 degree day at the range with 10-15mph wind coming off the various tree lines switching it’s vectors as much as 180 degrees... well maybe not quite that much more like 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock. I attempted to capture an image with my cell phone through the scope but you may not be able to see it. Coldbore and cold shooter (first shot for the day) at 550 yards with the same load out of the 6mm XC holding .25 mil into the wind.
coldbore550-2.jpg

Close up
coldbore550.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clear 62 degree day at the range with 10-15mph wind coming off the various tree lines switching it’s vectors as much as 180 degrees... well maybe not quite that much more like 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock. I attempted to capture an image with my cell phone through the scope but you may not be able to see it. Coldbore and cold shooter (first shot for the day) at 550 yards with the same load out of the 6mm XC holding .25 mil into the wind.

Close up
coldbore550.jpg

Wow man! It don't get better than that!

I took on the Cold Bore Challenge with my Tikka 22-250. It's a factory rifle with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x scope on top. Looks like I had some "cold shooter challenge" problems on a couple of the outings.

Attachments

• CodeBoreChallenge_Tika22-250.jpg
    CodeBoreChallenge_Tika22-250.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 39
After about 450 down the tube I decided it was time for a good cleaning with some sweets followed by CLP and patched till the patches were mostly dry.

Clean cold bore and cold shooter at 100 with four more.
6-12-14007.jpg

What I found interesting is, I had moved the scope forward for better eye relief a couple days ago. So I knew the zero might be off by a little... ended up not much at all. I opted not to move it till I had some additional rounds down the tube. After 10 rounds, the POI had settled .1 mil high or about where shot #2 is.

I reset my zero, tagged the 550 steel, 650 steel, hit the steel at 600 for a few then went straight to 1k... holding .5 mil left into the wind for....
6-12-14008.jpg

Almost called the wind right, LOL. IIRC, this is a personal, all time best for a 5 shot group at 1k for me, 5 into 5.08” or .485 MOA... Really like this 6xc barrel/caliber.

After about 450 down the tube I decided it was time for a good cleaning with some sweets followed by CLP and patched till the patches were mostly dry.

6-12-14007.jpg

What I found interesting is, I had moved the scope forward for better eye relief a couple days ago. So I knew the zero might be off by a little... ended up not much at all. I opted not to move it till I had some additional rounds down the tube. After 10 rounds, the POI had settled .1 mil high or about where shot #2 is.

I reset my zero, tagged the 550 steel, 650 steel, hit the steel at 600 for a few then went straight to 1k... holding .5 mil left into the wind for....
6-12-14008.jpg

Almost called the wind right, LOL. IIRC, this is a personal, all time best for a 5 shot group at 1k for me, 5 into 5.08” or .485 MOA... Really like this 6xc barrel/caliber.

Nice shooting! what range are you shooting at?

Cold clean bore at 300 yard sighter target 2 shot then went right to the record target,, shot a 197-22x fourty rounds for score.

E917AE68-176A-41CD-BFBD-593ABB036012_zpsc7czyh4x.jpg

Pure luck. But first cold bore shot with 700 sps tactical 20" with SWFA 10x milquad. believe it or not this was some cheap Tulammo and after the first shot I had two light primer strikes on the next two rounds. I thought I broke the firing pin. I took out the bolt, did a quick shoelace and penny removal of the firing pin to check it. It looked fine. So I put it all back together and re fired the light strikes. They either missed the paper completely or went in the same hole. I swear on a bible all this is true. I moved to another target to try to replicate it with some black hills ammo and could not do it. Dumb luck I guess. Should have bought a lotto ticket that day.

Pure luck. But first cold bore shot with 700 sps tactical 20" with SWFA 10x milquad. believe it or not this was some cheap Tulammo and after the first shot I had two light primer strikes on the next two rounds. I thought I broke the firing pin. I took out the bolt, did a quick shoelace and penny removal of the firing pin to check it. It looked fine. So I put it all back together and re fired the light strikes. They either missed the paper completely or went in the same hole. I swear on a bible all this is true. I moved to another target to try to replicate it with some black hills ammo and could not do it. Dumb luck I guess. Should have bought a lotto ticket that day.

Maybe the wind blew the next round off the target? ;-) Otherwise, good shootin'!!!

What kind of target is that? It looks pretty useful. - Todd

Last edited:
I will look at the targets. They are provided for free at our private range. They have 5 separate bulls eye on the same sheet. Good to test new loads. IMHO the Tulammo was way more consistent than the Black Hills ammo. Except for the granite hard primers that is.....

This isn't the same target, but thanks for trying.

yes they are. The targets Bender is using in that photo is a Redfield sight-in target. I use the same ones. There may be some small variations but that's what it is. Just google it :)

I just came upon this thread and I remember an experiment I made several years ago with cold bore shooting. I put a target up at 450 yards and fired one shot at it on different days over a period of about a month. Since the range is in my backyard I could leave the target up the entire time. I would plot the shots on a chart that described the conditions, bore condition etc. I would spot the shots and mark them on the chart so I really wouldn't need to keep the original target. The squares in the chart represent 1" square. I did pick days when the wind wasn't a big factor because the point was COLD BORE. I didn't clean the barrel during this month but I did dry brush it out and run a dry patch after each shot. I did manage to keep my cold bore shots at around 1moa and the group centered so I considered the experiment a success.

Actually I did keep the target... just found it.

Attachments

• 20140720_215936.jpg
    20140720_215936.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
This one I will at least post. Had another one (different gun) that I was too embarrassed to show.

The first three groups show the cold bore in with the group. The last two groups round 1,2 are low with the third at my normal zero mark.
Possible scope ( did dial back from 500 & 1000 previous trips) Siii 8-32 quality scope tracks well and no history of any funny stuff.
Second maybe bore getting dirty? 100-200 rounds down it
Third... Just me
Ideas?

I think you're going to have to spend some time trying this again with your rifle, but this time just leave the scope alone and don't fire too many so that you can't question the dirty bore. See if you can say that you are consistent enough to print the cold bore shot and follow-up shots in the same area.

Got out for a bit today. Cold bore and shot #5 were In the center. Shots 2,3, and 4 were left. Think the coriolis got me. [emoji6] ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410133616.021876.jpg

6-12-14007.jpg

6-12-14008.jpg

Poetry. Sheer poetry...

Got out for a bit today. Cold bore and shot #5 were In the center. Shots 2,3, and 4 were left. Think the coriolis got me. [emoji6] View attachment 49120

Full moon tonight AND a 20 meter rock sliding between us and it, I'd say you did well given the disruption to the gravitational well... I decided to stay home and mow the lawn, :p

Might have to lay down some copper tomorrow though, swapped stocks on the XC, applied a devcon barrel pad and gave it a pre-cleaning for the match in two weeks over near Port Huron... either of you going to attend [MENTION=91385]Darkside-Six[/MENTION] [MENTION=13650]Graham[/MENTION]

Last edited:
Full moon tonight AND a 20 meter rock sliding between us and it, I'd say you did well given the disruption to the gravitational well... I decided to stay home and mow the lawn, :p

Might have to lay down some copper tomorrow though, swapped stocks on the XC, applied a devcon barrel pad and gave it a pre-cleaning for the match in two weeks over near Port Huron... either of you going to attend [MENTION=91385]Darkside-Six[/MENTION] [MENTION=13650]Graham[/MENTION]

I'm not. I really wanted to but my 8yr old son just started tackle football and I'm coaching so I won't be able to make it this year.