• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SH ColdBore Challenge ! Test yourself...

Cold bore cold shooter this morning... Verifying and final testing of 6mm XC match load, prone with bipod and rear bag laying in the drizzling rain. Steel plate is 700y, 5 shots, 3” vertical, 4” wide 4.5” total.
P091214_1047.jpg

Gave this a go today, not sure if it's a pass or fail as I'm touching the edges of the circle. This was a clean cold bore, I was gonna wait until next time I was out with a fouled cold bore but figured what the heck, might as well try this with a CCB. After the third shot I made a 1cm adjustment right and fired 47 more rounds and the zero stayed center. I'm interested to see if I have a 1/10 mil right impact next time I clean the barrel or if this was just me.

AX308MC 26"
S&B PMII 5-25
Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR BiPod
Rear Bag

FWIW when I printed the target from the link, the colour(black) came out very faint, like light grey but the dots were exactly 1". When I saved the picture and printed it the black came out nice and dark but the dots were only 0.950". After checking with the calliper the three shots should have been in the circle if it were a full 1".

Here's a pic that shows the "smaller dots". Maybe everyones is like that?? Either way...

One observation i have made while doing this clean, cold bore shooting has beenswitching to hoppes #9 rather than my old standby brakefree CLP, I have tightened up my 1st and 2nd shot considerably and groups of five show little to no fliers... I guess no more CLP for the precision rifles for me.

Niles, that is a good point. I have never been a big fan of CLP in the bore (or for anything actually). I want an actual solvent / bore cleaner to use when cleaning the bore for 2 reasons: mainly a solvent made to specifically clean the bore will work faster with less strokes of a cleaning rod and second you will be able to fully remove the solvent when the cleaning process is over. CLP and similar "multi use" liquids are designed to naturally stay behind and typically need to be removed with a solvent or wear, hence the last two letters Lubricant & Protectant. If you could easily remove the liquid with a few passes of a patch then it is not going to lubricate or protect anything very well.

My clean cold bore shots are never much different than my fouled cold bore and I attribute this to my cleaning regiment.