• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooter’s Hoodie (Prototype Pictures Up)

oda175365

Andrew
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2014
North Carolina, USA
Here are my thoughts-idea or directions to an already existing product appreciated.

I’m sure that I am not the only one who lives in a hoodie while working or shooting during the colder months. I have ideas on making it a little bit more friendly- especially to a long rifle or carbine shooter.

1. Install rear pockets- with elastic tops- possibly drawstring adjustable- sized around an AICS to AR15 magazine. Possibly a smaller/slimmer one to keep a kestrel or pocket rangefinder.

2. Reinforce the front with a low-mid count denier cordura for belly work. On top of the kangaroo pouch up to about mid chest level.

3. Same cordura on the elbows

4. Wrist sleeves on either arm to slap in a data card- think the old quarterback wrist play card books.

5. Lastly slam a thin layer of fleece or thinsulate with a small pocket for an air activated hand warmer.

Alright- so probably doesn't exist- or it’s not easily google-able. Please feel free to add thoughts- improvements. I plan to start a beta version this week. I have access to parachute riggers that work for beer- and all the nylon goods to boot.

Any manufacturers on here see this idea and want to steal it- please have at it. Just cut me a deal when you start producing them ??

Lowlight suggested a similar product on one of his podcasts earlier this year. His idea was a soccer goalie shirt (durable, with padded elbows) which would have back pockets like a cycling jersey.

I would love to see either of these suggestions become a real product. It is odd that no one has gone after the precision rifle market with purpose made apparel yet.

I remember @lowlight mentioning a similar design; and couldn't recall where he said it.

Lets see what kinda work the dudes at the rigging shed can produce. May not be the prettiest thing- but hey- Aint no fashion award going out at the range.

Google the Kifaru pullover. Its not cheap, but it includes cordura on the arms and the front pouch. Its also probably one of the warmest hoodies out there.

I think the back pockets are really the key innovation. That way you can lay prone and still have access to your items, like a kestrel or extra magazines, or phone.

I have Varustelekas hoodie.
It has a single back pocket, one pocket in the left arm near bicep and then the usual 2 pockets near my guts.

-Back pocket is not the best answer, at least the combined one. You have to search for the items for a while. Well, this can be sewn closed from the center and I guess I will have to do this. I hope it will improve usability.
I carry my gloves and hat there without even noticing, so back pockets are nothing but plus.

-I see much potential with the bicep pocket.
It is in a very accessible place, you can quickly reach there.

I would like to see this pocket in the other arm also.

Google the Kifaru pullover. Its not cheap, but it includes cordura on the arms and the front pouch. Its also probably one of the warmest hoodies out there.
Have one and its great. Its design is lightweight - think stuffed in ruck when not worn - so it doesn't have any bells and whistle on it, but it sure is warm, tough and useful. I never operate in cold weather w/o mine any more.

Have one and its great. Its design is lightweight - think stuffed in ruck when not worn - so it doesn't have any bells and whistle on it, but it sure is warm, tough and useful. I never operate in cold weather w/o mine any more.
For real. I made the mistake of wearing it hiking to and from coyote stands in Utah and I thought I was going to die from heatstroke.

I’ve thought about making a nice pullover with elbow pads and a rear pocket but after watching what’s happening to the guys with the new Arken scopes I don’t think I want to deal with the shooting community.

Reactions: Mattiejay6
Material dropped off the guys with the heavy duty sewing machines. We shall see what they come out with.

Had to look up the Arken drama. Whatever.... people will run their sucks.

Reactions: Mattiejay6
Posted elsewhere.....this would be a start for me.....

Add skid plates and elbow reinforcement it could only get better.

Going to try and talk one of these under the Christmas tree tonight while at TD dinner.

EDIT - Damn looks like they sold out of them all. It will be my life mission to have them make one more medium.

Last edited:

Going to try and talk one more f these under the Christmas tree tonight while at TD dinner.

EDIT - Damn looks like they sold out of them all. It will be my life mission to have them make ne more medium.
Im in on that quest. That is a serious hoodie. Minus 33, First Lite, and Varustelka make similar but light lighter merino products. Back in the damn Cabelas had a wool hunting line.

Im a merino wool snob. My yearly clothing allotment for my job I spend entirely on wool socks, shirts, and underwear.

Reactions: pmclaine

Going to try and talk one more f these under the Christmas tree tonight while at TD dinner.

EDIT - Damn looks like they sold out of them all. It will be my life mission to have them make ne more medium.
How about this?

Reactions: oda175365
I did mention this in my podcast and was talking about it with a shirt when I went to use a Soccer Goalie shirt in place of a jersey.

trip!e aught design also has a great hoodie with back pockets but it's the single long one.

as I noted we need to follow the lead of cyclist, they put better pockets behind them

I have a kick ass cycling softshell coat that would be great but it's Hunter orange

I did mention this in my podcast and was talking about it with a shirt when I went to use a Soccer Goalie shirt in place of a jersey.

trip!e aught design also has a great hoodie with back pockets but it's the single long one.

as I noted we need to follow the lead of cyclist, they put better pockets behind them

I have a kick ass cycling softshell coat that would be great but it's Hunter orange
I was pretty sure I had heard you correctly-Wanted to give credit where its due.

I have the beta version in the rigger shop getting sewn up. Just a decent heavy weight cotton hoodie as I didnt want to smoke a good wool or tech fabric version from the start.

Waterproof Duck canvas going on the front as a skid plate, on the elbows, velcro in the forearms to attach a data card, and light cordura on back making 3x pockets with adjustable shock cord drawstrings.

Well post pictures when I pick it up.

Thanks all for the input and interest

V/r

@Near miss I see you are in Finland; perhaps you could answer a few things. Do you know if they ship over to the US? If so, is it easy enough?
Should be doable, they say it is 9.99.

Screenshot_20191128-223019_Chrome.jpg

Cannot say if it is easy or not, I have not been in the receiving end but I have not heard of problems either.

Reactions: jameydan
This one would be interesting if not for being covered in so much marketing:

Cadence Hoodie

If either of these had the typical bikers three vertical pockets that Lowlight mentioned, instead of the single back-width stowage, I would pick one up:

Pearl Izumi Softshell

Chrome Hoodie

@oda175365 , I am looking forward to what you come up with. BTW, what sort of rigger shop do you have, perhaps the type that has to do with standing and running?

This one would be interesting if not for being covered in so much marketing:

Cadence Hoodie

If either of these had the typical bikers three vertical pockets that Lowlight mentioned, instead of the single back-width stowage, I would pick one up:

Pearl Izumi Softshell

Chrome Hoodie

@oda175365 , I am looking forward to what you come up with. BTW, what sort of rigger shop do you have, perhaps the type that has to do with standing and running?

Agreed- that first hoodie had the exact back pocket array Im after.

Have a jump shed (parachute riggers) access. Dudes have the ability to sew heavy webbing and nylon- and use them often to modify stuff.

Separately from the shooters hoodie- this thread has got me sourcing old wool blankets to make a decent anorak as well. @pmclaine

Reactions: pmclaine
Here are my thoughts-idea or directions to an already existing product appreciated.

I’m sure that I am not the only one who lives in a hoodie while working or shooting during the colder months. I have ideas on making it a little bit more friendly- especially to a long rifle or carbine shooter.

1. Install rear pockets- with elastic tops- possibly drawstring adjustable- sized around an AICS to AR15 magazine. Possibly a smaller/slimmer one to keep a kestrel or pocket rangefinder. As mentioned, cyclist have been doing this for years. I would think no draw string though; I would not want a string hanging especially on my back, hard to locate and release just in case it snagged. Another option would be a kangaroo pocked with elastic topped pouches but might get cluttered. Would have to test it.

2. Reinforce the front with a low-mid count denier cordura for belly work. On top of the kangaroo pouch up to about mid chest level. Its your design but for me, added weight and less climate control.

3. Same cordura on the elbows Yes with high dense foam.

4. Wrist sleeves on either arm to slap in a data card- think the old quarterback wrist play card books. I would prefer small zip pouches both arms. Orient zipper elbow to wrist.

5. Lastly slam a thin layer of fleece or thinsulate with a small pocket for an air activated hand warmer. Not for me, Lowe Alpine made these pockets in mitts and jackets back in the 80s and while a good idea, most of the hand warmers loose their effectiveness when moisture is applied during active use. I used saline hand warmers for years, instant very hot once activated to heat up the fingers and then a slow cool down and moisture will not effect their output. If you are like me and take a stove everywhere in cold, dump them a boil to reuse over the day.

Anorak design with a vertical pocket Vs hoodie with horizontal hand pocket.

Ape index is a must.

Bicept pockets.

Velcro wrist closure with a grab tab. Or, Thumb holes if the material over the palm is quite thin with some stretch, elastic around the wrist. Lowe Alpine started this in the 80s, super idea.

Two weights, 3 season soft shell no backing and summer UV protection.

Alright- so probably doesn't exist- or it’s not easily google-able. Please feel free to add thoughts- improvements. I plan to start a beta version this week. I have access to parachute riggers that work for beer- and all the nylon goods to boot.

Any manufacturers on here see this idea and want to steal it- please have at it. Just cut me a deal when you start producing them ??

Agreed- that first hoodie had the exact back pocket array Im after.

Have a jump shed (parachute riggers) access. Dudes have the ability to sew heavy webbing and nylon- and use them often to modify stuff.

Separately from the shooters hoodie- this thread has got me sourcing old wool blankets to make a decent anorak as well. @pmclaine

Got a message from Filson they were surprised by how quickly the Forest green hoodies sold out. In February they will be coming out with a batch of Navy blue.

I've been running one of the Varusteleka Sarma military color shells (plain OD green); I've been pretty impressed with it thus far.

Last edited:
Holy Smokes, that thing is almost $400!

It does have lot of features discussed in this thread, but it seems to be a winter only garment.

Its wool it will last forever for most users.

A three season garment if you live in temperate humid climates.

Will keep you warm on a wet early May day, ditto late September or will be a layer in January.

Alright Gents
Thanks all for following this thread- and the tons of good input. Should be able to post up some pictures/pick it up next week....Post all the holiday craziness.

This is just a beta version on a cheap hoodie- plan to wear it for a course Im teaching mid December. A quick test of utility and placement of pockets and cordura. I will post up all the dimensions and designs I have drawn as well.

I went on a wool kick and ended up picking up a Anorak/Vest Cut from Absell Wool. Because why not.

@45.308
Valid point on the drawstring- kinda similar to chopping them off for concealed carry work.

I had totally forgotten about the saline hand warmers- used them as a Scout (Long time ago)

I kinda shirk from pockets on the wrist- mainly because I like to roll sleeves. I never use the pen pockets on my flight suits.

I did worry about the heat build up on the cordura portions- well see how that wraps up. Most of my winter is 40-50 with higher RHs.

The vertical pocket design is clever- stop crap from falling out while moving.

Awesome! Thanks for the well thought out input??

If you can get past wool, I would look at Swazi. Between these two items, I have never been cold or wet. Durability is outstanding.

Feel they work well for matches too but as with all other options, could use a few more pockets.

OP

You mentioned "class use"

Thats primarily when I consider what I have for suitable shooting clothes and weather.

Most of my shooting is after work and what I wear is inappropriate for what Im doing but I make do.

Last year took a carbine class that on day one featured raw temps and steady rain.

I wore an Arcteryx anorak style full zip.

The long skirt on the coat kind of dictated I wear an HSGI slim grip belt/LB suspenders with the belt over the coat skirts.

Next day was spring warm with just a long sleeve t shirt tucked in with a two belt system preferred to secure handgun and magazines.

If you intend long tails how about button eyelets and inside buttons so you can fold the tails under and secure them so that way the garment is useable whether covering your pants/waist with a belt over the garment or worn garment tucked up so it doesn't cover your pants supported equipment belt?

Being stylish when out shooting matters.....

P4068506[1].jpg

Last edited:
We do make nice shit in this country if you search hard enough and pay.

I dont mind paying if I have it.

Quality lasts.

Thursday I wore a set of dress pants to Thanksgiving dinner that I bought while on leave in Helsinki, Finland - old school wool - forget what they cost me but it was a lot for a L/CPl and they came in handy in Moscow/Geneva/now for their warmth and good looks.

Buy once cry once is usually true. I have Arcteryx stuff that has survived 9 deployments- and Darn Tough socks that have well over 1000 miles on them. $40 a pair is well worth it.

Might feel good to buy Walmart shit when you look in the wallet- until it disintegrates right in front of you.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Alright gents- hoodie almost a wrap. One change that I picked up on here was to put velcro on the wrists. Picked up some PVC Data Card Patches from another hide member- should work out well. Also moved the kangaroo pouch on the front to chest level to help while in prone.
88297963-CDA9-400B-90F8-7A18205F504E.jpeg

Also- got a package from Asbell Wool today- their Pathfinder vest arrived. Quality seems on point- lighter weight wool- (say just lighter than a heavy wool blanket) and is warm as hell. May end up adding drawstring around the waist and possibly some back pockets.

Reactions: MosesTheTank
@lowlight
Pocket will hold my iPhone in the Lifeproof case with plenty of room to spare- can almost get an iPad in it.

Good thought on pocket location- just out of way for belly prone- but closer to front for ease of access. Almost similar in location LCE/ALICE type set up.

Wool blanket prob gonna be sacrificed soon for the change.

Going to try and talk one of these under the Christmas tree tonight while at TD dinner.

EDIT - Damn looks like they sold out of them all. It will be my life mission to have them make one more medium.

I have one of these in the fullweight. Front hand pocket has an elastic band sewn in that will hold 3 Pmags if thats your jam. Has side zippers that go from waist about mid chest to help with getting on and off. Ralph is a super nice guy and makes only quality gear. NOT FOR THE POORS...;)