• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Were back!

HA!

Went to Manatee a couple of weeks ago with my sons, older son's GF father/brother met us there as well. First time shooting LR for them (our sticks), they had a ball. One of those rare days where the wind didn't wreck havoc down the ditch and hits were assured at 1000 (nice when you're trying to show off, lol...).

HOWEVER...
Hadn't been there in a while, and not a fan of the lack of steel at the 600 yard berm. A couple of big ass 12" swingers, and silhouettes- not much to shoot at. I asked where all the individual swingers/posts setups were that used to be there, and they just said the posts kept getting shot out and they didn't want to keep repairing them.

HUH?
What are we paying $20 for every time we show up? They can't maintain these target setups/install new posts? Asked if we could bring our own, and got the same answer I've gotten for years- "Sure- but anyone can shoot at it". Once again- HUH? Why is it that placing steel is fair game for everyone's bullets- but a paper target isn't?? Could you imagine if we just started shooting at everyone else's paper?

The more I go there, the more I dislike the attitude and management of that place. It's patently obvious which is "Club" steel- and if they're not going to provide fucking targets to shoot at, we should at least be able to bring our own.

If there were an alternative place to shoot at least 600 yards, I'd be there instead- in a heartbeat.

I was there two weeks ago and there were at least 7 club targets, on the right half of the 600 berm. The wind chime track was shot off that day but the rest of the club steel was intact.

​​​​​​We routinely bring our own steel out there and often the ROs will tell shooters to lay off the targets we bring, though i really don't care as long as they aren't shooting them with .50 cal or AP at mine!

What benches were you seated at? Is it possible that your access to the right hand side of the berm was blocked due to being benched near the eastern end of the line?

i definitely understand your take on the current climate over there though. We used to be able to park our targets down in the valley, at UKD, for a good challenge.

I also brought a half case of soda out and we shot them at the 465 berm. Great fun that day launching those spinners that leave no doubt that they've been killed!

and the loss of the left bank at 565 is also a palpable loss. ..

5th works best for me. Have to be in Jax with Little Cub the weekend of 3/12. Little shit took a position with the Mayo Clinic there and starts when she graduates from Gatorland...

Looking at apartments for her new home. ..

As if there aren't perfectly good hospitals to run right here in Tampa...

Going to try for the 12th here...
Younger one will be on spring break from UCF, his older bro will have his long weekend off from HCSO...

Looks like today's too breezy for my abilities down the ditch- I'd be cussing all day long. It's howling up here in Pasco.

We gave our new piece of steel a work out today boys!

Attachments

• photo49126.jpg
    photo49126.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 29
Hi guys, names Kevin I am new to the forum and just got into long range shooting. I am in the Tampa area and would love to meet up at one of your guys outings in the near future. I work odd shift work so am off every other weekend and many weekdays. Look forward to going to one of your meet ups.

Glad you found your way over here Kevin.

So whos down for crushin some steel on either the 2nd or the 9th?

I go shoot at manatee about once a month. Anybody into the F class matches? Been thinking about doing that as well.

I think this is the longest time this thread has been dormant. I did a little recon at the range Sunday. Manatee is under new management. You can not put out your own steel but, Tank, the new rso has fill the 600 with plenty of options. He has also talked about opening the 480 berm aging.The range has a few new changes, all for the good. Right now the range is under eye of the county. The last email I got from them is that the county wants the land they gave the range as a buffer back. Management is in the process of updating most of the range to comply with what the county wants. I believe this is a good thing.

DD,

Good to hear from you on this. I get the emails as well and was concerned about the new lay of the land down there. It is always a grim tiding to hear about rounds going off range. Especially in this highly litigious Era.

Shucks about not being able to place or own steel though. Maybe they'll lighten up in certain cases as they have in the past.

I received word the other day that a new range in east Hillsborough Co is slated to open soon. Its going to be east of Hwy 39.
Gonna have options to 2K

Thanks for the link. Something to consider is this quote from the article:

The owner of the range has agreed to return to the county for a new, conditional-use permit or terminate operations once construction begins on the nearby Eagle Ridge residential development.

bolding is mine.

How many of you guys are staying put?
I'm staying (Sarasota) and have everything boarded up and locked down, will check in and keep everyone updated as it gets closer and passes through

I'm home for the duration, come hell or high water. This one seems serious, so now is the time to hunker down. I feel dirty saying that since it was popularized for political purposes, but it properly expresses what one needs to do in some cases.

Okay, you're over by park square.
We are over in phase 1 off of Lithia Pinecrest.
We used to live half way between Beavis Elementry and the aquatic club in Martin Meadow. Hated the neighbors and the unnecessary high mortgage.
Current house is 200sf smaller and $150k cheaper. I can live with the difference. :^)

There is a small range on 39 about 15 minutes from here.
It's called the Shoot Shack, and yes it's quite the shack. The last time I was there, the owner Gary said they were about to open a 300yd lane. Hopefully that's done by now.
You could always give Gary a call to see if they are operating. 813-610-6695

Went shooting for the first time in over six months.
The guy on the end bench had a couple of nice rifles, so being the curious guy I am, I took a peek or two at his targets.

When they called the range cold, I went down that way to pull my target.
Stopped for a minute to talk about his rifles and it turns out he's our own
shotdown .
We chatted for a few minutes, but I had to cut it short, Rebecca wasn't feeling well.

J,
good talking with you today. It's nice meeting fellow shooters that live close by.

Hopefully we can get together soon and send a few rounds down range.
PM me if you're up for it.

Went shooting for the first time in over six months.
The guy on the end bench had a couple of nice rifles, so being the curious guy I am, I took a peek or two at his targets.

When they called the range cold, I went down that way to pull my target.
Stopped for a minute to talk about his rifles and it turns out he's our own
shotdown .
We chatted for a few minutes, but I had to cut it short, Rebecca wasn't feeling well.

J,
good talking with you today. It's nice meeting fellow shooters that live close by.

Hopefully we can get together soon and send a few rounds down range.
PM me if you're up for it.

It was perfect timing, haha. Great meeting you and your family today. It was really nice to get out finally. I will definitely need to get back out. Have a few more rifles that I would like to check zero on and chrono them.

I got quite a bit done today in the 2 hrs I was there. Checked zero on one rifle, started to put rounds down the tube on a new rifle, and load tested with my 3-Gun AR.

Glad to hear you weren't outside when that 3pm storm came over.
Rebecca and I were in Publix when it hit. I brought the umbrella, but it was completely useless. :^(

Did you talk that other guy into loaning you his LabRadar. ;^)