• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

I have an old friend that lives in West Palm Beach. His google foo sucks and claims that he doesn't have anywhere to shoot rifles. Any suggestions for him?
Whats foo? He can go to the PBSO range though they have limited times open to the public its decent. OK Corral Club in Okeechobee is where I will now be going due to my experience at Okeechobee Shooting Center which is a decent range, just DONT use the gunsmith. Tell him in 2015 Palm Beach County will be opening a match level range about 25 minutes NW of downtown West Palm Beach. Anyway those are the closest to us here.

Whats foo? He can go to the PBSO range though they have limited times open to the public its decent. OK Corral Club in Okeechobee is where I will now be going due to my experience at Okeechobee Shooting Center which is a decent range, just DONT use the gunsmith. Tell him in 2015 Palm Beach County will be opening a match level range about 25 minutes NW of downtown West Palm Beach. Anyway those are the closest to us here.

Thanks for the info! I'll pass it on to him. Foo is short for fool. <label for="rb_iconid_11">
icon11.png
</label>

Last edited:
The PBSO range isn't too bad. Worse thing I found is that there's no cover over the shooting lanes so it can get hot. Wish it was open to the public more than just one or two weekends a month. They have off duty deputies as Range Officers and they're pretty cool unlike the Range Nazis at Markham Park which is where I used to shoot before moving to PB last year. Been meaning to get out to Okeechobee. It just hasn't panned out as of yet. Definitely planning on getting over to Manatee sometime soon. I'll be looking forward to the match level range.

Last edited:
The PBSO range isn't too bad. Worse thing I found is that there's no cover over the shooting lanes so it can get hot. Wish it was open to the public more than just one or two weekends a month. They have off duty deputies as Range Officers and they're pretty cool unlike the Range Nazis at Markham Park which is where I used to shoot before moving to PB last year. Been meaning to get out to Okeechobee. It just hasn't panned out as of yet. Definitely planning on getting over to Manatee sometime soon. I'll be looking forward to the match level range.

Heres a little on the new range deal. Mecca Farms $26 million sale to water district approved - Sun Sentinel I started reading the entire proposal packet but its long.

If you dare to read it here it is. http://www.pbcgov.com/fdo/admin/pdf/050213shooting_range.pdf

I think I may be able to sneak out to Manatee on the 2nd if anybody wants to join. Ill be working on some load development with some Varget, and if I have time, setting some steel out past the 565 berm. Id like to move off of that berm as we as a group need to be challenged more! Except for QQ cause he was absolutely astonishing me with his damn dope calls, and following hits, out to 700 on Sunday. On another note, At some point I'm thinking of trying to work on some unknown distance stuff too....size of the target, then using a mildot master for starters....

I also need to pick up some N150 from Gene if he still has any by the time I get there.

Does anybody need any Reloader 17? Ill cut you a great deal... 10 pounds for the price of 8.

Let me know what you guys think.

I think I may be able to sneak out to Manatee on the 2nd if anybody wants to join. Ill be working on some load development with some Varget, and if I have time, setting some steel out past the 565 berm. Id like to move off of that berm as we as a group need to be challenged more! Except for QQ cause he was absolutely astonishing me with his damn dope calls, and following hits, out to 700 on Sunday. On another note, At some point I'm thinking of trying to work on some unknown distance stuff too....size of the target, then using a mildot master for starters....

I also need to pick up some N150 from Gene if he still has any by the time I get there.

Does anybody need any Reloader 17? Ill cut you a great deal... 10 pounds for the price of 8.

So we will need to bring our own steel? When I get out there I plan to shoot steel at 1k.

I really do envy you guys (but in a good way...); I rose this morning to a faint pink glow in the low Southeast, a waning gibbous moon in the high Southwest, and 1 degree F. on the deck thermometer. The thermometer needle was quivering because of the wind gusts. Our pellet stove is essentially running non-stop. I don't expect to be heading out to the range until sometime in April.

Not to worry, this sort of weather allows lots of time for rifle maintenance and upgrades.

My Stag Model 6 Super Varminter AR now has an alternative CMMG 16 Bull WASP upper to go out and play with, and a new Moeller 6-32x44 side focus 30mm scope is in transit from the supplier, destined for my .30BR FV250 Match Rifle. Mil-Comm cleaner/degreaser, lube oil, and grease are just newly arrived so the CMMG upper can start out life with a new outlook. Over the next month(s?) a pair of family heirloom M700 LA rifles in 7mm Rem Mag and .25-'06 will be given an initial restoration with a new set of rings and some inexpensive hunting scopes.

Hi ho, hi ho...

Greg

Last edited:
300.. There is steel at 1000, and at 565. If you plan on just shooting those distances at the same ol' tired peices then you dont need to bring your own. We like to shoot at 600, 700, 750, 825... ect. For anything closer you can put clays on the 465 berm but no steel... anything closer than that is all paper punchin'.

Greg, were only a few days of driving away! There is a campground at Manatee to put an RV too. :)

Your welcome Alan! Its just good stuff all the way around!
One hour of instruction and a new shooter is born! I love it!
So when are we spec'ing out her rifle? LOL!

I did move the scope back a little bit, I didnt like having to crawl up on the stock that much either. You have also motivated me to get of my arse and get my trust going! The can is the way to go man... so nice...just a little shove and no noise.

Oh.. and how is FEB 23rd sound for everybody?

Can you guys see my pics I posted okay? I think you have to be logged in.

Laters,
Ren

Stick for her......
Glass S&B.....you're killing me here Ren
Timmney 517 flat trigger
M2013 .308
Rock Creek 11:27
AICS & Atlas

Damn if she gets an S&B I'm gonna have
to get a Premiere

Michelle and I are down for the 23rd!!!!

AL

Last edited:
Well... the Schmidt is... well... the Schmidt! LOL.
I had the Premier on that rifle but it will be going back on my SAC / X-Ring rebuild probably sometime next month or so. Just waiting for some other parts to come back.

Here is your chance...Hemiram is selling 3 premiers....
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...3-15-tactical-gen-ii-xr-mtc-dt-ccw-28mil.html

See you on the 23rd!.... be ready to engage past 500m!

300, that's interesting about the range. I know at one time they were talking about putting it adjacent to the current Sheriff's range at 20 mile Bend. The location in Loxahatchee is good place though, right next to Corbett. I wonder who paid off Burt Aaronson and Karen Marcus to allow them to even consider a shooting range.

I really do envy you guys (but in a good way...); I rose this morning to a faint pink glow in the low Southeast, a waning gibbous moon in the high Southwest, and 1 degree F. on the deck thermometer. The thermometer needle was quivering because of the wind gusts. Our pellet stove is essentially running non-stop. I don't expect to be heading out to the range until sometime in April.

Not to worry, this sort of weather allows lots of time for rifle maintenance and upgrades.

My Stag Model 6 Super Varminter AR now has an alternative CMMG 16 Bull WASP upper to go out and play with, and a new Moeller 6-32x44 side focus 30mm scope is in transit from the supplier, destined for my .30BR FV250 Match Rifle. Mil-Comm cleaner/degreaser, lube oil, and grease are just newly arrived so the CMMG upper can start out life with a new outlook. Over the next month(s?) a pair of family heirloom M700 LA rifles in 7mm Rem Mag and .25-'06 will be given an initial restoration with a new set of rings and some inexpensive hunting scopes.

Hi ho, hi ho...

Greg

Florida is way too hot and humid for my taste.

Florida is way too hot and humid for my taste.

Oh don't be a baby!

I've been working in construction here since 1978 and every year, around mid April, I start psyching myself up for what is coming: An unrelenting, monotonous, sultry, humidity that varies only in intensity when the sun is on you or the clouds build up for the huge (And often awesome) thunder storms, or the amazing evening breeziness.

I begin by telling myself "It isn't bad", "It's only 5.5 months" , "It's keeps the yankees away", followed by comparisons to Panama, Thailand, Equatorial Guinea, etc., etc.

In truth, it really isn't so bad but don't tell the New Yorkers, New Jersey, Massachusetts, know it alls or they will come in even greater numbers, vote for the same swine they vote for up there and then wonder where all their freedom went, just like they do up there!

But I'm not bitter.

Hi ho, hi ho...

Greg

Greg,

If you can squeeze in a vacay to the southlands, let me know. I'd be proud to be your host and you would love the place. Especially now that several of us are now going to be the hardest ass safety hawks on the line!

Ren,

I'd love to get there on the 2nd but I may not be able to make it as my parents are in the state visiting for the next three weeks and my Dad had been Jonesing to hit the links with my Brother, His nephew, Myself, and my oldest daughter! They live in Massachusetts and he hasn't played since early November.

He was talking about coming out to shoot with me though so who knows!

As to this RL 17,

I'd love to try this but 10lbs is a hell of a commitment! Why are you giving up on it?

Are they 1 lb canisters or the 5 lbs Alliant sells?

I appreciate (greatly) your offers and such. I am here because my family is here, and when we go South, we travel as an entire tribe (several vans full, even the cats, makes nicer haunts more affordable). Our voyage to Tybee, GA last Spring was a resounding success, and plans are well underway for a repeat performance.

Beyond that, OpSec forbids further explanation; as elucidated by She Who Must Be Obeyed...; only post-action reports are authorized. These days, our gallivants are fewer and closer held.

Tongue firmly in cheek, we'll see.

Greg

Last edited:
Ren,

I'd love to get there on the 2nd but I may not be able to make it as my parents are in the state visiting for the next three weeks and my Dad had been Jonesing to hit the links with my Brother, His nephew, Myself, and my oldest daughter! They live in Massachusetts and he hasn't played since early November.

He was talking about coming out to shoot with me though so who knows!

As to this RL 17,

I'd love to try this but 10lbs is a hell of a commitment! Why are you giving up on it?

Are they 1 lb canisters or the 5 lbs Alliant sells?

They are in the 5 pounders. I thought they were 8's like Hodgdon... anyways... if you wanna try a few lbs, Ill just bring you some to try. I just wanna load and shoot... Im tired of fiddling. For some reason my ass is just chapped with it. Ill bring you some on the 23'rd... if I still remember by then.

Dirt Dart, went to see Dr. Frank today and my new glasses are on the way. What a really nice guy he is! I met him up in Tampa at the Silver Dollar Trap Club, big match was going on, he couldn't walk more than 10 feet without gathering a crowd, everybody wanted his attention. I can see why, he took VERY good care of me and I would suggest that anyone needing glasses get in touch with him. Thanks, Dirt Dart!

I'm interested in coming out one day. Need to get my 7mm 08 running (needs glass and rings) then see what it's capable of

1/26/14
Anybody heading to manatee today? I've got more guns than time and a bit of "work" to do
Eta 8:30A, I'll be the one with the Bugholes shirt on, Ha!

1/26/14
Anybody heading to manatee today? I've got more guns than time and a bit of "work" to do
Eta 8:30A, I'll be the one with the Bugholes shirt on, Ha!

Cant make it today buddy! We went to the warbirds fly in at the Venice Airport. They had a B17 and a B24 liberator there, its not too often you can touch a piece of history like that!

But I did just get a Bartlein barrel from you last week. LOL!

Any chance you can clear your calendar for Manatee on Feb 23rd?

Looks like you boys been having fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still trying to make the 2nd. I'll be there on the 23rd barring anything unforeseen.

Turns out the USF Crew team Parents rowing event is on the 8th rather than the 1st so I won't have to worry about sinking a $30,000.00 rowing shell until next weekend! :D

My daughter is a hard ass and I will do my best not to embarrass her!

Al, if you need me to work up some loads for you let me know! Dale has my phone number.

Hey Jeff... I wont be able to make the second. Me and Levi are hanging out for the day. Looks like Ill be able to do Saturday (1st) tho. I sent you a PM.

Bill.... I would say right around 2.5 hours.

Saturday was a pretty good day. Load development is going pretty good and Ive got some pretty good directions I can go with Varget. 42.5 and 43.9 are looking to be sub half MOA... at 100yds they are any ways. I ran the loads up to 45gns of Varget and it held right around half for the hotter loads no signs of pressure. I'm probably going to stick to the cooler loads so when it gets hot in the summer I don't have to worry about pressure. I've always run a little cooler loads, but after seeing the kaboom, (even though hot loads weren't the primary culprit) it just re-enforces the fact to be safe instead of sorry.

Ive got about 80 rounds of RL-15 cooked up for the 23rd that do very well at 100 yards also. The more I shoot it, the more I'm liking the AI more and more! I'm getting tired of shooting paper though, and ready to ring some steel!

Come on...

Come on 23rd!!!!!!

I just hope I can keep up with Jeff and his 700yd headshots!

Saturday was a pretty good day. Load development is going pretty good and Ive got some pretty good directions I can go with Varget. 42.5 and 43.9 are looking to be sub half MOA... at 100yds they are any ways. I ran the loads up to 45gns of Varget and it held right around half for the hotter loads no signs of pressure. I'm probably going to stick to the cooler loads so when it gets hot in the summer I don't have to worry about pressure. I've always run a little cooler loads, but after seeing the kaboom, (even though hot loads weren't the primary culprit) it just re-enforces the fact to be safe instead of sorry.

Ive got about 80 rounds of RL-15 cooked up for the 23rd that do very well at 100 yards also. The more I shoot it, the more I'm liking the AI more and more! I'm getting tired of shooting paper though, and ready to ring some steel!

Come on...

Come on 23rd!!!!!!

I just hope I can keep up with Jeff and his 700yd headshots!

You are putting a lot of pressure on me Ren...

I'm looking forward to getting there as well! See you then!

Are we still on for Sunday boys?

I'm in!

Working up some loads this afternoon. Knocked some case prep: annealed and fully prepped some cases, resized some more that didn't need to be annealed and am about to load ~ 200 rounds of 155 SMKs (2156). Might run off some more 175s too if my mechanic neighbor isn't done with my truck by the time I'm finished with the 155s!

I need to get that sucker loaded up for an early departure from sunny Tampa!

I should be there for 8:45-9:15 depending on who is coming with me.

See Y'all there!

Had a blast out there today fellas! Sorry you couldn't make it Alan. Today was one of those magical days where I think I had about a 80 percent hit rate! I'm really starting to like moving past the 600yd mark!

Had a blast out there today fellas! Sorry you couldn't make it Alan. Today was one of those magical days where I think I had about a 80 percent hit rate! I'm really starting to like moving past the 600yd mark!

You were definitely On out there yesterday Ren! Good shooting on both rifles! Me, not so much.

Look forward to seeing you there next time. I'll find out just who this "Billy" douche is and let you know if I mixed it up with the Mayor of Spermo-lakes yesterday.

Thanks buddy! It felt quite good to make really good elevation and wind calls yesterday!

RE.....the cold line.....I found his response to us telling him not to pick up and handle his rifles on a cold line quite profound. I did not realize that multiple F-you's come out of the mouth of a person in the wrong, when they are in the process of handling firearms on a cold line. "I'm putting it away". LOL... I DON'T CARE! ITS A COLD LINE!

Everybody has a brain fart... just look at Alan blowing up his savage! But to tell us multiple times to F-off when telling him to stop handling his rifle on a cold line just does not sit well with me. Then.... to ask you if you want to fight? OMG!

Dude...Billy... calm down and think.....Ya messed up.....and we saw it....and we called you on it......its okay, just own up to it and don't act like your above the rules! Rule's for safety are there for a reason!

I'll have to wait until Thursday to call down there. No one home today!

Clearly the guy got upset when I referred to him, elliptically at the time, as an asshole. Recall that we were walking back from grabbing our targets when you had told Stan and me about the guy you witnessed previously, jumping all over a different imbecile for handling weapons on a cold line. I punctuated your sentence by saying "I damn sure don't want to be killed by a stupid asshole!". Or words to that effect.

Timing is everything and as it happened, that very same stupid asshole was walking out to the line and heard what I said! He must have had a guilty conscience because he knew I was talking about him! And then the F bombs began! And just what was he doing walking toward us anyway? His target was at least 10 benches down from your's. You don't suppose that little twat was looking to mix it up all along do you?

I would have loved to...

Not to stir the already boiling pot.... but the F-bombs started right when we spotted him on the line handling his rifles. As Gene would say, if there are no holes in anybody, what the hell are you guys worried about?.... Classic!