• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Nice to see some activity here!

Hoping to see what the improvements comprise at MGA. I haven't been down since March. .. Fucked up my back in July and just getting back into recreational stuff .

So I contacted the Manatee range and the 600 yd berm is open. The 1000 yd berm is undergoing renovations.

They also mentioned that you have to qualify to shoot the 600 yd targets. Anyone know what that's about and what it entails?

Guys,
I went right after Erma passed and they opened. The range has gone to a very square range. One lane, one target. No more going from one distance to another. The lanes are 50Y, 100, 200, and 300. That is it. To shoot at 600 you will need to shoot 6" group at 300. You can thank all the potato heads for that. Look I got a RPR in 6.5, I know what I am doing. I will still go from time to time, can always use a good laugh. Thinking hard about paying my dues for the coming year. DD

That sucks. I want to be able to get some DOPE at 600 and 1K. Do you know if you have to qualify every time you show up to the range?

I doubt it. That would be unusual. Why don't you come up to Volusia December 9th for our once months Saturday LR practice and Qualifying? We can shoot out to 1000, but there are no benches or tables. We have a platform at each of two stations or shoot from your truck in a cow pasture. Plenty of steel out and always someone there to help spot.

you can get numbers at all sorts of data points.

I doubt it. That would be unusual. Why don't you come up to Volusia December 9th for our once months Saturday LR practice and Qualifying? We can shoot out to 1000, but there are no benches or tables. We have a platform at each of two stations or shoot from your truck in a cow pasture. Plenty of steel out and always someone there to help spot.

you can get numbers at all sorts of data points.
I recently found out about Volusia but was unable to sign up for the practice/qualifier this month. Do you have to qualify there every month to shoot the local match? That is the closest LR match that I know of but it's 2:30 hrs away.

If you have dope out to 1000 that is verified in your rifle, you can shoot the match. We do not qualify anyone at the match. Nor do we test you. If you haven't shot out to distance at all, you can opt to pay less and just shoot the short side. The short side is the morning portion, that includes targets and steel out to only 300 meters. The long side has targets anywhere out to 1000, sometimes 1200.

There are two long range practices almost every month. The second Saturday of each month and the Wednesday before the match. You can qualify just the once at one of these practices and it is a relatively informal process. The whole purpose is to make sure that you and your rifle are repeatable and can safely put rounds on target out to 1000. This allows you to gather your dope and ensures us that you will not be flinging rounds over berms or otherwise shooting in an uncontrolled manner.

Safety is paramount, but we also expect that you will all act responsibly as adults. We are not babysitters and there is no "staff". Just a couple volunteers that would probably rather be shooting, but want to make sure that people have a chance and a place to shoot.

If you have dope out to 1000 that is verified in your rifle, you can shoot the match. We do not qualify anyone at the match. Nor do we test you. If you haven't shot out to distance at all, you can opt to pay less and just shoot the short side. The short side is the morning portion, that includes targets and steel out to only 300 meters. The long side has targets anywhere out to 1000, sometimes 1200.

There are two long range practices almost every month. The second Saturday of each month and the Wednesday before the match. You can qualify just the once at one of these practices and it is a relatively informal process. The whole purpose is to make sure that you and your rifle are repeatable and can safely put rounds on target out to 1000. This allows you to gather your dope and ensures us that you will not be flinging rounds over berms or otherwise shooting in an uncontrolled manner.

Safety is paramount, but we also expect that you will all act responsibly as adults. We are not babysitters and there is no "staff". Just a couple volunteers that would probably rather be shooting, but want to make sure that people have a chance and a place to shoot.

Cool. Got to join you guys. I do have DOPE out to 1400 yds with my 6.5 and 1600 yds with my 6XC. I'm relatively new to the Southeast and most of my shooting was in the Southwest. So I wouldn't mind verifying data here in the Southeast. Hope to catch you guys in Dec.

I'm coming back.....

Attachments

• photo85749.jpg
    photo85749.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Queequeg
I will probably make it at some point, but I am not looking forward to the 3 hour drive each way to do it.

Its unfortunate that Manatee has brought grief to itself with the whole Gene debacle and other dramatic stupidity that quite frankly, I am surprised to see that the club has survived. Considering that a few of us have invested our own time, money and effort in our own steel to use there.... its sad that the range has become what it has become.

With that said, I hope Jtac opens soon, and or I will have to drive 3 hours. Hope to see you guys soon, even if is blasting steel at a mere 3 hundo... wont even have to dial for that.

I get it. It seems that there is often drama involved with these clubs. We are not without some here either. But if you do want to drive the 3 hours to come here, make it worth your while and attend a LR practice or a match. Then you'll have a full 1000 yards available and rarely even 1200. We're a fairly decent bunch of shooters here and welcome everyone.

Add me to the "bummed out" list over Manatee....went a couple of weeks ago for the first time since re-opening. We went mainly to do some load development/chrono on my son's rifle, and were dismayed at no more 1k. I "qualified" for 600 with the rifle I had with me- but you've gotta do that with every rifle/scope before they'll let you shoot there.

Seems the owners don't really have a clue.. lady there started spouting off about how hard it is to shoot at 600 and as I rolled my eyes at my son she mumbled something about a second story/raised shooting platform on the roof of the clubhouse that made no fucking sense. Since they tell me the club was nearly shut down by the County guess it's better than nothing. But, you can't learn to shoot well at 1k yards when you only have 600 available.

Given all the huge, wide open spaces we've got in the middle of this State, there's gotta be SOMEWHERE, off-grid public land, where one can discreetly send a projectile for less than a mile safely like out West?

If anyone has some super top secret info I promise to be discrete....

Holy shit I can see this thread again

Can’t wait till JTac opens up
We were supposed to compete in their TAG (Tactical Athlete Games) but they moved it to TN

I’m dying to shoot outdoors
Been shooting at reload and that turned into me building
1-AR9
5-AR’s in 5.56
Lmfao I gotta get out of the house

And I picked up another Suppressor from Crux
It’s their Axe9 for my 9mm’s

Oh and 2-USO scopes
MR-10 for the 16”
SN3 1.5-6 jng mil reticle for the 14.5”

Also sent in my 30cal Archangel to be converted to Crux’s new PMS (precision mounting system) so that I could use it on the 5.56’s too
That was in August but was just informed I’m getting a completely new 2018 model.....it pays to be patient.

I picked up a Accu Tac BR-4 bipod and it’s awesome. I like it better then my Atlas bt10

I think that’s everything

Pic time ?

Attachments

• BE368DD5-1C6E-4DFE-A7D4-0662882F0FE6.jpeg
    BE368DD5-1C6E-4DFE-A7D4-0662882F0FE6.jpeg
    484.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 5586FFDD-3334-4F90-A0E4-ABF8FBA2C75F.jpeg
    5586FFDD-3334-4F90-A0E4-ABF8FBA2C75F.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 59
  • F3B6A1C8-A4D2-4203-8C95-B105ED9C825B.jpeg
    F3B6A1C8-A4D2-4203-8C95-B105ED9C825B.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 54
  • F7C2B8A6-FE72-45DE-9EE9-252541D27757.jpeg
    F7C2B8A6-FE72-45DE-9EE9-252541D27757.jpeg
    620.3 KB · Views: 53
  • E1FE5724-683D-4C4D-8381-937E59972C54.jpeg
    E1FE5724-683D-4C4D-8381-937E59972C54.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 63
  • CB544376-9D2C-44AB-9D3E-B8A7A67AADAC.jpeg
    CB544376-9D2C-44AB-9D3E-B8A7A67AADAC.jpeg
    480 KB · Views: 57
  • 519B5655-F13D-422B-8322-BB0F0ED7F026.jpeg
    519B5655-F13D-422B-8322-BB0F0ED7F026.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Manatee just recently said that there are no plans on opening the 1K yd berm in 2018. They have other priorities.

Did you have to pay to qualify for the 600 yd target?

Can't wait for JTAC Ranch but it would be nice to know the membership fees. Memberships for FL ranges are crazy high.

The new rifle shoots really good
Got to put about 75 rounds through it this past weekend

It's a rugar in 6.5 creedmore with a 3-17 uso

Add me to the "bummed out" list over Manatee....went a couple of weeks ago for the first time since re-opening. We went mainly to do some load development/chrono on my son's rifle, and were dismayed at no more 1k. I "qualified" for 600 with the rifle I had with me- but you've gotta do that with every rifle/scope before they'll let you shoot there.

Seems the owners don't really have a clue.. lady there started spouting off about how hard it is to shoot at 600 and as I rolled my eyes at my son she mumbled something about a second story/raised shooting platform on the roof of the clubhouse that made no fucking sense. Since they tell me the club was nearly shut down by the County guess it's better than nothing. But, you can't learn to shoot well at 1k yards when you only have 600 available.

Given all the huge, wide open spaces we've got in the middle of this State, there's gotta be SOMEWHERE, off-grid public land, where one can discreetly send a projectile for less than a mile safely like out West?

If anyone has some super top secret info I promise to be discrete....

Holy shit, what happened to that place?

Years ago when I lived in FL I used to go there as it was the only place that actually had anything more than a 100yd range that didn't totally suck. It was always run well with Gene being there (is he still there; I know he had health issues) and it was usually the same group of RO's and people running things.

From your description, it sounds like this isn't even the same place. No 1k range? Qualifying to fucking shoot? What is this faggotry?

Hell I remember getting sent to the 'hidden' 200 yard range in the back or Area 51 by Gene when there were too many idiots out front and we wanted to do actual drills. If they needed to change anything, it was the fucking group of the same 6 fucking guys with their custom wildcat bullshit guns that got out there at like 7am, shot 2 rounds and then camped their gear on the first 10 lanes and sat in the fucking clubhouse all day.

The only problems I ever had was when some guy decided to be an RO that also was a welder (he welded some of the range stuff) and he just wanted to go full press safety safety safety rules because safety; think his name was Mike or something, he was just a fucking moron and self appointed himself 'Lead RO' or some shit when in reality he did the club absolutely no favors with anyone by being there.

What the fuck happened?? Did they sell it or something? Sounds like a fucking pain in the ass place to go now.

Just got an email they will be closed for the next 4 weeks.... as far as public land goes. I haven't seen any.

Holy shit, what happened to that place?

Years ago when I lived in FL I used to go there as it was the only place that actually had anything more than a 100yd range that didn't totally suck. It was always run well with Gene being there (is he still there; I know he had health issues) and it was usually the same group of RO's and people running things.

From your description, it sounds like this isn't even the same place. No 1k range? Qualifying to fucking shoot? What is this faggotry?

Hell I remember getting sent to the 'hidden' 200 yard range in the back or Area 51 by Gene when there were too many idiots out front and we wanted to do actual drills. If they needed to change anything, it was the fucking group of the same 6 fucking guys with their custom wildcat bullshit guns that got out there at like 7am, shot 2 rounds and then camped their gear on the first 10 lanes and sat in the fucking clubhouse all day.

The only problems I ever had was when some guy decided to be an RO that also was a welder (he welded some of the range stuff) and he just wanted to go full press safety safety safety rules because safety; think his name was Mike or something, he was just a fucking moron and self appointed himself 'Lead RO' or some shit when in reality he did the club absolutely no favors with anyone by being there.

What the fuck happened?? Did they sell it or something? Sounds like a fucking pain in the ass place to go now.

I pretty much quit going there when Gene got really sick.
That and the RO you mentioned. He treated everyone like they were complete Fudds.
He pissed me off.
Got on my case while I was placing a rifle in a dual rifle case because the one already in the case was pointed towards the parking lot. I reminded him that no matter how I did it, one would always be pointed south. The dumbass tried to tell me to place both in the same direction. He couldn't understand that doing so would cause damage to the wood stocks.
What a complete fuckwad.
That was the last time I ever went there.
What was even worse is that he demanded I case the rifles with the bolt open and the chamber flags in.
This is the same guy that allowed the fellow next to me load magazines while people were down range.
I asked the guy to put them down and the RO said it was okay because he knew him.
WTF???

Well reading about Manatee is kind of sad. Was hoping to find someplace near Fort Myers to shoot and meet folks.

Last edited:
arntr2 ... dont let us deprive you of shooting. It just sux that the max you can shoot now is 600...and thats after "qualifiying". And, you can no longer put your own steel out, and you can no longer get dope at intermediate ranges.. 500 600 700 800 900 like we used too...

anywho..... whens Jtac opening? lol

Reactions: arntr2
Thanks Ren might still have a look. There are other choices (closer) and don't need long range yet. New so have a ways to go and a lot to learn. Done a lot of pistol shooting all my life but not much rifle (w/scope) ways.

When they get their burms rebuilt...again... I may make it out there in a month when they are done. Keep your eye on this thread, we usually try to confirm a solid date between all of us before we go.

Reactions: arntr2
Shit...wanted to go shoot with my son over his spring break from UCF.
I can only wonder what it is they're doing that takes 1-1/2 months...

Is anybody local to MGAC or attending the member's meetings? I think they have been broadcast but some old fashioned minutes would be nice. Latest email to members states they want an additional $100 per year for membership. Time to re-open has been stated to be mid-April. I have already inquired about JTAC as well.

Not fully disclosing what problems the range supposedly has/had with the county and simultaneously asking for more money while the range is unavailable to members is in pretty poor taste. The last time I recall the 1,000 yard line closing down was many years ago when turkey hunters were claiming bullets were making it into the woods to the north.

During the same time period I remember walking out to a 100 yard target and hearing a bullet pass by overhead from somebody shooting steel behind a berm to the west with some kind of handgun.

Yep, the last time I was there (3 weeks ago)no one else was qualified to shoot at 600 yard but me and the would not open it up for one shooter