• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shooting in snow?

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
Is it okay to shoot in light snow?

The reason I ask is because I finally got my 700 done, and I'me dying to go shooting, but I think its supposed to snow this weekend.

If its just a real light snow that's not effecting visibility I still might go if there's no problems with doing so.

Is there anything I should do/not do when shooting in snowy conditions?

Re: Shooting in snow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it okay to shoot in light snow? </div></div>

yup

Damn...

The things peeple worry, fret, and chew their nails over.

Nope, don't go shoot in the snow, you might melt........

mpaj2.jpg

Yes. Snow means peace and solitude at the range.

Hopefully no one gives you too much crap about asking that. Someone asked about shooting in the rain a while ago and that thread got pretty long.
smile.gif

its fine, it snowed 8" in the 6hrs i was in the field shooting last weekend. needless to say we couldn't see any of the plates we put up past 450yds hell even that one was tough to see.

Light snow...heavy snow...snow squall...several feet of snow...its all good!
wink.gif

All joking aside...shooting in the snow is great. Visibility can get a little rough depending on how heavy its coming down, but otherwise...have at it. Use caution depending on the terrain you'll be shooting on (slipping/sliding/falling hazards are increased) and be sure to protect yourself from the elements and give your rifle setup a good clean-up/wipe-down when you are done as you'll have gotten it good and wet (making it more prone to rust, etc.).

Lubrication may be a factor. Some oils and greases can gum up or absolutely turn solid. Obviously, use rated products.
Returning frigid firearms into a warm environment, ie, vehicle cab, building, etc (to include going back and forth) can cause condensation to form and freeze/melt cycles to cause problems.
All of that can cause parts to rust and components to lock up. Perform proper weapons maintenance.

Okay, thanks guys. I know that people do shoot in the snow, I just wasn't sure if there are any precautions/preparations regarding the rifle itself.

I've been shooting in the snow quite a bit in the last few weeks. If I didn't, I wouldn't be shooting at all! The only downsides I have seen thus far have been the cold, and the fact that your ejected brass will melt the snow around it, then it will freeze to your brass, making an ice encrusted empty casing! Of course, I do shoot an Arctic Warfare, so perhaps THAT is why I have had such a positive experience... Haha!

Not to hijack, but I too am curious about shooting in heavy snow or rain. I've shot in light snow and rain, but I was curious if a heavy downpour or snow storm could effect accuracy at all?

Accuracy at normal rifle ranges: precipitation has essentially little/none effects. Get with the ULR guys for their input.
Precip is neat because you can see trace GREAT! However, if its too thick you can't see squat thru optics - depending on magnification/conditions. Go to backup irons as needed.

Think about it.

If it's raining or snowing heavily, visibility will be the limiting factor. If it's snowing heavily, I can't see 100 yards. Even in a light snowfall visibility is typically a lot less than 1000 yards.

If you can see the target, go for it.

Don't even waste your time, the bullet will blow up about a foot from your muzzle after hitting a snowflake....

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't even wast your time, the bullet will blow up about a foot from your muzzle after hitting a snowflake....

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Dude, that only happens while shooting in a hailstorm...

Send it to me so I can break it in for you.
I couldn't think of a more peaceful time to spend some time on the trigger; it just doesn't snow much around NE TX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nachtadler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...Hopefully no one gives you too much crap about asking that. Someone asked about shooting in the rain a while ago and that thread got pretty long.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Good memory!

OP, do yourself a favor and delete this thread ASAP to spare yourself the title of "can you shoot in the snow post guy"

Haha, it's no biggie. I ask stupid questions quite often because quite frankly I'm pretty new to shooting and really new to bolt-action shooting.

Even if you are new to shooting... Have you never hunted in the winter time?

We had a huge storm come through elk hunting this year. Couldn't see 50yds with the naked eye, nothing through the scope but white. My rifle didn't seem to care.

Visiblity definitly more important than the snow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't even waste your time, the bullet will blow up about a foot from your muzzle after hitting a snowflake....

laugh.gif
</div></div>

This only applies to cartridges with a muzzle velocity over 5000 fps; underneath that threshold the falling snow will impart a spin decay element to the bullet, sapping the rotational velocity and causing increased spin drift at shorter ranges. You should counteract this effect by dialing in at least 3-4 mils left into your scope before shooting, then taking your ammo and rolling them around in your hands for a solid ten minutes prior to shooting in order to warm up the projectile and keep the snow from freezing to it. Alternatatively you can skip this step by taking a double dose of SpinD (Warning: consult a doctor before using any medication designed to counteract planetary rotation).

<span style="font-size: 8pt">I ready it on the interwebs, so it must be true. </span>

Remember it's the Christmas season so mix a little eggnog with the SpinD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not this shit again....</div></div>

Sorry...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not this shit again....</div></div>

Sorry...</div></div> This one along with the Across Water Shots thread does make for a good laugh at least.

Enjoy the dogpile! I'm waiting for Aubie to join in on it for a little payback.
laugh.gif
(Not that you went after him though.)

5271306016_171e191c58.jpg

Shooting in the snow is lots of fun. You can read the wind really well just by watching the snow come down. The only limiting factor is if you have a white out, can't see much when that happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember it's the Christmas season so mix a little eggnog with the SpinD.</div></div> now that mad me laugh and think of Lowlight's Spin D video and that long ass thread on that subject.

--HIJACK--

What about shooting underwater? Do I need to attach a snorkel to my action?

If I want to shoot from the moon to a distant star, do I only calculate spin drift? What about star dust?

That's why I gave Aubie ("Rainman") the opportunity to offer Clamber some well-learned advice on shooting in inclement weather conditions (LOL). Aubie earned my respect in the shooting in the rain thread because he was a good troop about all the ribbing.

Now it's time to create a new nickname for Clamber. Here it comes...

Wait for it...

SNOWMAN!!!

20071212-riedel-gentleman-snowman.jpg

I know...not original, but it still fits. Enjoy the snow AND your shooting Clamber. Happy Holidays!

Yay, a nickname.

I got to the range today, and no more that 2 minutes after I put my mat on the ground it started snowing. It wasn't bad and I could still see the target well, but then the wind came and made it worse.

I'll try again tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why I gave Aubie ("Rainman") the opportunity to offer Clamber some well-learned advice on shooting in inclement weather conditions (LOL). Aubie earned my respect in the shooting in the rain thread because he was a good troop about all the ribbing.

Now it's time to create a new nickname for Clamber. Here it comes...

Wait for it...

SNOWMAN!!!

20071212-riedel-gentleman-snowman.jpg

I know...not original, but it still fits. Enjoy the snow AND your shooting Clamber. Happy Holidays!</div></div> Dang, I was hoping you were going to use an image of Snowman (Jerry Reed) from Smokey and the Bandit....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ykrvak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh.....never mind. </div></div>
I understand... me too.

I was out during the start of a blizzard we had out East today (still raging, actually). Just my luck, as soon as I get to my range, the snow and wind kick up, with the wind blowing directly into my face. I couldn't where I was hitting even at 100 yards through my spotting scope, so it turned into a very short trip.

What do people do in the field about snow and scopes? (spotting or on the rifle). It seems like the lenses can get covered in snow very quickly, and then there isn't much you can do salvage it in the field.

A sunshade can help that issue, or some tape on the objective blocking 2/3 of it leaving a slit to view through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TargetTerror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was out during the start of a blizzard we had out East today (still raging, actually). Just my luck, as soon as I get to my range, the snow and wind kick up, with the wind blowing directly into my face. I couldn't where I was hitting even at 100 yards through my spotting scope, so it turned into a very short trip.

What do people do in the field about snow and scopes? (spotting or on the rifle). It seems like the lenses can get covered in snow very quickly, and then there isn't much you can do salvage it in the field. </div></div>

Stretch pantyhose over it and put a rubber band to hold it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TargetTerror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was out during the start of a blizzard we had out East today (still raging, actually). Just my luck, as soon as I get to my range, the snow and wind kick up, with the wind blowing directly into my face. I couldn't where I was hitting even at 100 yards through my spotting scope, so it turned into a very short trip.

What do people do in the field about snow and scopes? (spotting or on the rifle). It seems like the lenses can get covered in snow very quickly, and then there isn't much you can do salvage it in the field. </div></div>

Smart folks stay indoors drinking hot toddies, and while away the hours chasing the women folk around the furniture. They don't try to shoot in blizzards.........

Watch your bolt, if it's below about 20 degrees when it's snowing the flakes will melt on the bolt and try to freeze up on you, same with DBM setups. Best to use is a dry lube as well because oils will tend to start gumming up around those temperatures and you get extended lock times. Other than that snow shoots are the best.

Actually it's a fair question. There are things to consider as some have explained. There's even a gun that's made more robust for winter conditions, it's one of the best out there (AIAW). I think shooting in winter conditions adds to the challenge of the sport, it makes you a better or at least a more experienced shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not this shit again.... </div></div>

You've been here since August, is it that bad? You know you don't have to click on every thread, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inGobwetrust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not this shit again.... </div></div>

You've been here since August, is it that bad? You know you don't have to click on every thread, right? </div></div> Wow... OK salt dog.

After you sort through all the BS you may find a nugget or 2 if you are serious about shooting in snowing conditions.

Lessons from the Winter ASC Match

REMOVE all oil (don't forget the firing pin)

Close the action and keep it closed. Learn to open and single load quickly w/ gloves on. Snow inside the chamber will result in a wonderfully water marked piece of brass and insane chamber pressure if you can actually get the bolt closed. The less time the gun has an open bolt the better off you will be. If you have to open the bolt for range safety rules, drape the rifle w/ a towel.

Learn to catch the brass as you eject or the ice encrusted brass will occur as mentioned before.

Sunshades, ARD's and flip caps. USE THEM.

Don't bring a warm rifle into a freezing environment if you can help it. Conversely be prepared to do a FULL clean and lube after a snow shoot. Don't forget the trigger group and scope ring bolts. Yes, you have to take the rifle out of the stock.

If there is snow build up in the front end of your scope there is also snow in your barrel.

Just some remembrances, some of which I observed and others that I experienced. YRMV, IMHO etc.....

Cheers,

Doc

(insert comment to make a new shooter feel stupid and make me look cool to the other internet sniper masters on the forum)

Side note: theres no dumb question...some times its the beginner who asks a supposidly stupid question and then gets an answer all of the "internet sniper masters" didnt know and then even they learn something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inGobwetrust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not this shit again.... </div></div>

You've been here since August, is it that bad? You know you don't have to click on every thread, right? </div></div>

You been here since Oct. 2006. It obvious you haven't posted much or responded to much for whatever reasons. So, who cares how long he as been here and how many threads he has responded to. When he wants your opinion he will give it to you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SGT. JMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inGobwetrust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not this shit again.... </div></div>

You've been here since August, is it that bad? You know you don't have to click on every thread, right? </div></div>

You been here since Oct. 2006. It obvious you haven't posted much or responded to much for whatever reasons. So, who cares how long he as been here and how many threads he has responded to. When he wants your opinion he will give it to you!

</div></div>

My point, Jason, is that he doesn't have to click on a thread if tha's all he thinks of it. True, I don't post a lot, I shut the He'll up and try to learn instead.

Patrick