• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Shot group at 600 yds

Re: Shot group at 600 yds

Thanks. Hope it gets better with practice. Tried LL dot drill @ 100yd today. Now that's a humbling experience!

I havent tried that yet. Will be shooting a match tommorrow. Bringing my son to shoot it also. It is 600 yard match in the prone. We will see.

My son and I both did the match. He did really good. I shot better on the 2nd through 4rds. The first set I shot . I grap the wrong ammo. My head was up my ass. By then there was no hope of winning. They haven't posted the scores yet. I will be off 200 pts from misssing the 1st set.
All and all it was a fun time. I'am going to do a few more to see. My son for only being 13, he shoots pretty dam good.

I shot the 600yds F-Class today in Des Moines Iowa. I shot 772 with 18Xs for 1st place. My son shot 699 with 8Xs for 6th place. It was a pretty good time.

I shot the first string in the match on 12 power and shot 198 with 6Xs, Realize my scope was not turn all the way up. I dial it to 25 power and shot worst on higher power. I should have left it down due to the mirage. The S&B scopes are great scopes. Really dont need to much more than that for 600yards. I may try my US Optic on the next match in 2 weeks. I kinda favor that scope more.

This is a first-class thread. It is fun to watch progress. I am in a similar situation. Gotta love the haters... Those groups suck, etc., etc. It takes courage to put yourself out there.

I can always take my smallest group for the day or toss out flyers and talk about how great I am or the gun is. These quarter minute shooters @ 600 yards don't seem to make it out to competitions!

Also, a really important thing to remember when you talk about group size is that the number of shots is critical. I went into the statistics of this on another thread, but 1 MOA in a 10-shot group is much more impressive than 1 MOA in a 5-shot group. And it is not just because there is more of a chance for flyers. Statistically, the more shots you shoot, the wider the spread should be. To someone used to shooting 5-shot groups, the 10-shot spreads are going to sound wide.

The F-Class is all I have around me. It also gives me something to compare and learn from. It goes in 4 strings of shots with each string 20 shots. Each shot is worth 10pts with a total of 200. A perfect score is 800 for the match. Out of 80 shots I shot 28 in the 9 ring, 18X, and 34 in the 10 ring. The 10 ring is 1moa.
There is diffintely alot better shooters than me. But this is what I did. It is another way to help read the wind and shoot.

I figure out why my son (13yrs old) didn't shoot as good the barrel on his 243 is throated out. You can shoot 5 rounds and the barrel is copper up. This weekend he will shoot my 308 at the match. I hope he cleans house except for me. Ha My 308 shoots great. Can't wait until this weekend.

Actually you want your son to clean house this time as you are shooting open class and he will be shooting T/R class. Remember to take the bipod for the .308 or he will have to shoot open too. This way you both can win the match.
grin.gif

Po-Po

Well the match today was good. I shot 776 with 26Xs for a win. My son shot shot 726 with 8Xs. He shot really good. He just needs to adjust for the wind. He is improving every match. Overall I shot a 97%. I don't really know what that means yet still learning the rules and how they work. It was fun.
When the scores get posted I will post a link.

The percentage shows where your scores fall relative to a scale regardless of how many shots were in the match - if you shoot 97% in your match with 80 shots and I shoot 97% in a match with 45 record shots, then we both have the same 'ranking'. From the NRA rule book...

Table III
Individual F-Class
High Master . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 98.00 and above
Master . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 96.50 to 97.99
Expert . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 94.00 to 96.49
Sharpshooter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 91.50 to 93.99
Marksman . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Below 91.50

The classifications above are computed based on a rolling 120 shot basis - when you get 120rds down range with an average score above 96.50% but below 97.99%, they should send you a card marked 'Master'. When you get 120 shots consistently over 98%, they should send you one marked 'High Master'.

Sounds good and all, and it's certainly something to take a small amount of pride in, but for any number of reasons it's not necessarily an accurate basis for comparison. Someone shooting a 6.5-284 is probably going to make 'High Master' way faster than someone shooting a .223 Rem, and someone who shoots only on their home range in low-wind conditions will have an easier time making classification faster than someone who either shoots on a Dorothy-n-Toto range. Right now the cards I've seen don't say whether the scores were shot F/TR or F/Open, mid-range (300-600yds) or long range (800+). But if you find someone who shoots consistent no-shit HM scores with a .223 Rem at long range on windy days... listen to what that person has to say!!!
wink.gif

I thought it was like 240 rounds fire. I don't know but that is what one guy was saying at the range. The ranking would be kinda neat for my son. I would like to keep his interest in this as long as possible.
I think it is still a good place to shoot. You will learn by scoring, marking targets, and shooting. If you watch the wind while you are scoring. Then juding how they shoot. You will become a better shooter if appilied.
Wind drift is wind drift. When the wind blows 8 to 10 mph from the west and 10 minutes later it blows from the east. It really doesn't matter on most cals. The wind does decide the winner most of the time.

who all shoots F-Class?

It would be nice to be able to shoot a Tac. match. We dont have anything around like that. I think the place the matches were held for the F-Class could do that but nobody wants to do that.
I might bring this up to a few people around and see if they would be interested in starting a Tac. match in Nebraska.

Is there anybody in Nebraska or around Nebraska that might be intertesed?

I believe the 240 is for re-classification in Across-The-Course shooting. 120 to get classified, and 120 for reclass in Prone. I thought 240 also at one time, and shot a two-day, 60rds per day 600yd match with my 6.5-08 Any/Any rifle (sling and scope) back when a) the classification percentages were lower and b) 600yd was still part of 'long range' and found myself the owner of a Long Range 'Master' card. Nowadays I can just about keep up with that with iron sights and a sling and a .308, but just barely (closest LR range to me is pretty tough).

Read the rules for yourself here:

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-index.pdf

I will look up on the site. Thanks for the link. I just started this. I going to start maybe later this year on Across the Croase. I want to get my son up on F-Class first and also myself.

All,

NRA LR classifications keep things interesting for shooters at all but perhaps the highest level. They're benchmarks which acknowledge the shooter's progress. They give the shooter something to shoot for. No doubt, most competitive shooters enjoy getting the recognition for their effort; and, no question about it, there's some gamesmanship that enters into it.

Shooting a .223 in any division is a handicap. I do not know of any folks out there that have earned an NRA HM LR classification with a Service Rifle since the rule change. But, if there is someone out there that has earned an HM with Service Rifle, on any range, even in windless conditions-that's still one hard holder who would certainly impress me.

I wouldn't bring a knive to a gun fight either. Shooting a 223 would be a great accomplishment. I have seen 1 person shoot with a 223 and it was his first time.He did okay, but for shooting a 223 he did pretty good.
I think, Why wouldn't you bring a gun that fits the bill. I think most of the shooting in Camp Perry is a 308 but not all. A 308 shooting 168s doesn't have the best BCs out there. The 168s have more wind drift. So should a person shooting a 175 or 155 lapuas be judge by a different class or a 6.5 cal. You shoot what you bring. Even then you would have to shoot pretty dam good to get HM.
There is a gentleman at the club who is I think about 71 or so. I think he is a HM. Hands down that man can shoot. He has been there and done that. I think his eyes are starting to give him trouble. But that is a man to be respected in shooting. He can shoot with the best. 3 matches ago he shot a 784 28X in Match rifle and a super nice guy. Hats off to him.

June match is over. My son took 1st and I took 2nd out of 15 shooters. I shot a 780 and my son shot a 785. All the advice is helping that you guys have given me. I do appreicate the help. Thanks

Shooting beyond 100yd is only going to tell you things about the wind that you can get right out of a ballistics spreadsheet. If the groups are so small you're tempted to go to 200yd, the message isn't that you need more distance to finish load development, it's that you're already done. If you're worried that the bullets haven't stabilized by then, the main news is likely that the MOA might tighten up somewhat beyond, so you're likely already seeing things as bad as they get.

Save the bore and the components for what comes <span style="font-style: italic">after</span> load development. If you, or anyone, are in a position to do unlimited load develoment in this current supply and demand environment, you've got far too many components on your hands for your own good.

LOL!

Greg

All done with loads. I have them shooting as good as I can get with the current knowledge I have. The guns both shoot in the 1s at 100 and under a 1/2 MOA at 600. My son shot 199 with a 15X with his gun.

Well my son took 1st again and I took 3rd place. Another hide member took 2nd. It was a fun day.
At the end of the match we shot at movers at 600 yards. I hit 2 out of 4 shots. My son hit a head shot out of 4 shots. I will post the scores when they post them.

I'm an F-er!!!!!
eek.gif

I've been called that before, but today I really was an F-er.
smile.gif

First time to try F-class match, and boy howdy, was it fun. Had a great time, Saw some familiar faces and made some new friends.
dar Sr and Jr can both flat out shoot, and it was fun to see the boy, he is a machine!!

I proved to myself I have more to learn, BUT, there is a ton of information and support given here on the Hide, and I truly appreciate the help.

You are a great bunch of guys, now go get F-ed!!!

Bill, nice to meet you. You shot really good. That rifle of yours shoots great. The matches are a great place to get some good pratice at.

It was a good time.

The largest thing that impresses me about this thread was the assholes nay-saying someone that gets out and shoots.

I'd venture 75% of registered members never get their safe queens past 200yds and post all the time about their sub-moa guns and shooting. There's a world of difference between shooting 200yds and 500-1K.

Perhaps your initially pictured groups don't impress the Aholes, but I for one sir, am impressed, especially that you are bringing up a new shooter (and even letting him kick your ass once in a while).

I feel poorly about the naysaying, as many potential contributors to the shooting sports may find themselves choosing new hobbies when they see shit like this:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You keep posting these groups they suck. if you shoot f/tr your screwed f/open you enen more fuck.</div></div>

When I shoot the only competition I worry about is myself, and if I'm progressing the objective has been achieved.
The origination of the NRA shooting sports was to have a country of capable riflemen for times of need, not a bunch of pencil-dick braggards.

Keep on keepin' on dar (and dar jr)!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The largest thing that impresses me about this thread was the assholes nay-saying someone that gets out and shoots.

I'd venture 75% of registered members never get their safe queens past 200yds and post all the time about their sub-moa guns and shooting. There's a world of difference between shooting 200yds and 500-1K.</div></div>

+100

Hardrock is a 600-1K yd 2 & 1 moa scoreing course, no one has ever shot 1 moa to clean that range,... ever.

All the internet shooters are just that, they talk shit, but never show up, anywhere. Even if a person comes in last at every match they shoot, they are light years ahead of all the shit talkers that never show up.

Wallet groups are for impressing those that don't know. Scores, even if last impress real shooters more than shit talkers.

And for the rest of you killers out there, your book or that odd looking code on your DD214 (assuming you have one)tells it all.

My son is a good shot. Maybe not the best. If I had to lose. I would like to lose to him. The satisfaction of his success is gratifiing enough for me. But it does make for a long drive home with him. Good thing is he is pretty humble. That helps.Lol

Excellent work dar, thank you for sharing your progression and your real world results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

All the internet shooters are just that, they talk shit, but never show up, anywhere. Even if a person comes in last at every match they shoot, they are light years ahead of all the shit talkers that never show up.

</div></div>

That may be the second signature line I'm gonna steal from you!!

Ya that might shut, a few up.
grin.gif

As for the rest of the heard, they'll just keep beating their chest and "Be all they can be", in their own mind.
laugh.gif

I've had some great advice from hide members here. Also have taken some tips and training tools from here. I tried to use all the tools and apply them. They do work if used.

The hide training and members are a great resource to pulled from.

My 13 yr old son at 775 yards shooting a Lv steel. About a 6 mph wind with a guest of 12 mph. Here is a video of him shooting.

dar1246

dar1246

after finishing load development with my sps .243 ai and 105 a-max i went back to the 600 yard line to fire three shots prone. it ended being a 1.1 inch group. by far my best group.