• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Sauer SSG 3000 full write up and myths clarified.

Got mine last week from PSA. $1279 to my FFL. Deinstalled action from stock, inspected and reinstalled. Torqued down screws. Groups tightening up after 40 rnds. Cleaned after each rnd first 5 and then after every 6 rnds. 3 shots of fed 168 gmm in one oblong hole is the best I have done. Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5x56. Nikon M223 30mm 20moa mount. Shoots 175 grain otm well also. This thing is a beast. Long and heavy. Love the trigger.

Jimmy....did yours come with a German Test Target? I'm wondering why some do and some don't:confused:

Jimmy....did yours come with a German Test Target? I'm wondering why some do and some don't:confused:

No, mine did not. Gotta box with bolt and wrenches, owners manual and "cleaning" kit. My plastic gun case had the corner broken out of it and the flash hider sticking out. Was a little worried about the rifle but not a scratch on the flash hider and the gun shoots great.

I just got my SSG 3000 yesterday at Wal Mart for 997.00 + tax on sale here in central NC. I read on another forum that Wal Mart was deeply discounting some of their rifles and I had to check it out for myself because frankly I didn't believe what people were saying. Sure enough it was like 30% off regular price so I took it home with me. I was told that if the rifle didn't sell by Monday it would return to regular price. It came with the "SIG SAUER" marked Flambeau double rifle case, manual, small tools (bolt tool & allen wrenches), AR style cleaning kit (5.56 steel rods, .30 cal brass brushes, tooth brush type brush, patches, empty oil bottle & nylon AR type pouch w/ALICE clip), cable lock & German test target. I took my Bushnell HDMR scope off my Rem700 that I built and will try it out either sometime later today or on Monday. I read that the flash hider was a bear to remove, but mine was super easy. Once I loosened the small grub screw I was able to unscrew it with just my hands. I can't wait to see how she does!

I talked to Sig USA customer service last week regarding the same question. The guy I spoke with told me all they have at this time are 308 barrels and .22 conversion kits. He was not sure if or when they would be offering anything else.

Has anyone else been advised that the .22 conversions are available and if so at what cost?

That's what I was thinking when I saw the big Rollback tag under the rifle. I was originally looking for a 716 as I read elsewhere that they were also going for 997.00 but that WM didn't have the 716. There is only 1 other WM in town that sells firearms but I didn't feel like driving across town with my 6-year-old in tow.

That's a deal!

Now I would like to know if the .22LR conversion is actually available AND if it's a reasonable price. I won't pay more for a conversion than I paid for the rifle itself.

Sales rep dropped off an SSG for me to test out. It was 24" outfitted wit a 4-20 weaver tactical. I was extrely impressed with the rifle. The grip was a bit too straight for me, but I'm used to the A-5. The two stage trigger broke very crisp though it did have a little over travel. That could poss be taken out though.

The action was slick and the mag fed reliably every time. Being used to Remington's the 60 degree throw is nice.

Most importantly is how accurate it is. I shot 168 gold dot and FGMM. Five shots with the FGMM covered with a penny and a sub half incher with the gold dot as well.

Great rifle at a great price.

KJ

The short throw is really nice and the bolt travel is super slick, the things that threw me was it uses a long action (w/no option for long action caliber conversions) and the super long magazine. I can load projectiles way out there if I need to and not worry about running out of magazine length. Today is shot for me so it looks like Monday will be my first firing with my new toy.

The short throw is really nice and the bolt travel is super slick, the things that threw me was it uses a long action (w/no option for long action caliber conversions) and the super long magazine. I can load projectiles way out there if I need to and not worry about running out of magazine length. Today is shot for me so it looks like Monday will be my first firing with my new toy.

That is because it is the same action as the Sauer 200STR which is very popular in the 6.5X55, so the long action and long mag are better suited to that caliber.

I didn't see a separate part on the barrel that was threaded, but not sure... But after you mentioned it, I see a separation!!! I think you're correct from the looks of it!!
eby2u2ep.jpg
7yhy4u3y.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've been banging my head against the wall for a year now and here is what I've found so far , their is no extension on a factory barrel " as per Sauer Rep. in San Antonio TX referred by SIG USA " , Border is a waste of time both on the computer and the phone ,
according to the Sauer rep in SA any competent smith with a five axis CNC should be able to produce extensions or chambered barrels from stock !
So my question is , IS THEIR ANY SMITH in the US willing to do so ?, and WHY NOT !
I think someone with the equipment and ability could really make some $$$$$$$$ from Americans with new and old ( Sauer 200 ) Sauer Rifles .
The most accurate factory rifle I've ever purchased , 25-06 , 5 rnds in a dime at 100 yds with relative ease .
I've posted about this before , I'd REALLY like a custom barrel in 280 Ackley Improved but I'm just about ready to give up and have a custom Rifle built . Too bad , the bolt throw and speed/smoothness of my 200 action is un-matched by any action I've tried so far !
I've had a few offers but refuse to give it away , so it will set collecting dust until a reputable smith has a eureka moment !

I called a WM here in Or. They had one and it's price was the normal $1490.00+. I've been trying to avoid getting hooked into buying one of these but if the .22 conversion is available at a reasonable price I'm sunk.

jbell , I'm going to inquire with a few machinists here in Albuquerque and see if it can be done for a reasonable cost . If so I will definitely let you know !

Please PM me if you see an SSG 3000 for a good price at your local Wally World. I am willing to pay you halfway between the Walmart price and the $1399 I can get it for locally.

finally got mine out to the range - too bad all I have here in CT is 100 yards. put 30 privy partisan 'match' through it, cleaning after each 10, nothing special in groups, ~1.25". cleaned it again, and tried 5 FGMM 168 gr. of course, had to pull off one, or it would have been a single ~0.3 MOA hole... but, for the first day, I'll take just over 1/2 MOA, considering the total lack of rifle trigger time this year so far.

some more practice for me, and this will get really fun.

really happy with the SSG-3000...

Attachments

• SSG 3000.jpg
    SSG 3000.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 46
I was able to shoot my rifle this morning for the first time and right before the day turned boiling hot & humid. I used a large bag up front and a small cartridge box under the rear of the stock to help stabilize. The scope used is a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 HDMR w/H59 reticle and Warne steel QD rings and the distance was 100yds. I didn't adjust the trigger any, though I do need to take up about 1/3 of 1st stage and if I can figure out how to lessen the 2nd stage pull as the manual doesn't say how to do it and also states that only a gunsmith should do it otherwise the warranty will be voided. Anyway, I shot my rifle just the way that I got it from WM and I didn't follow any "break-in" procedures.

The ammo that I shot was 4 different reloads that I developed for my Remington 700 that I built from the action up so I didn't do anything special for this rifle. I shot 10 rounds of each load in 2 5-shot groups. I could shoot 3-shot groups to show tinier results but I believe that 5-shot groups do a better job of what the rifle & shooter are capable of. The projectiles used was 178gr AMAX that I didn't crimp, 178gr AMAX that I did crimp, 168gr AMAX that I crimped & 168gr Combined Technology black lubalox coated that I also crimped. I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die as IMO gives a much better & consistent crimp. I know that there are a lot who feel that crimping shouldn't be done while others believe in it...but I really don't want to get into or even start that discussion, I just stated what I did because it's a factor in my results.

I shot the groups randomly and I let the barrel cool down so that it was barely warm to the touch before shooting another group. I didn't develop any loads for this particular rifle, they were all for my other rifle that I developed from the ground up and exhibit top accuracy and consistency. I shot them because I had them on hand and I was curious to see if they would give me some sort of starting point or if even the rifle liked those particular projectiles & weights. I was truly amazed how she shot with the uncrimped 178gr AMAX projectiles and it's possible that I can tweak the powder charge to squeeze another hundredth or so, but I'm also thinking that I should put another hundred or so rounds down the tube to see if it settles some and possibly tightens up.

The best 5-shot group was with the 178gr. AMAX that I didn't crimp and it measured .54" CTC and was very consistent. The other group from the 178gr. AMAX uncrimped rounds measured .359" CTC but was with 4 shots as I pulled one as I'm still not used to this trigger. I will still need a few more range sessions and if I can find out how to lessen the 2nd stage pull then I believe that I will have better control over this beast. Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase and other than trying to source some magazines (are there any that hold more than 5 rounds???) I'm going to replace the unnecessarily long flash hider with a compact brake.

Has anyone gotten the 18" rifle yet? And how does it come pair to the longer rifle.

i did have to drill out the grub screw on mine. it was too small and tight to get out without buggering up the (socket ?)
anyway the barrel has a recess drilled in it where the screw is so if you have to drill ,don't be concerned about ruining the threads.
was going to drill and tap the brake i got but used a crush washer and it's plenty tight.

Nice looking rig to be right out of the box and ready. I'll be watching to see if a bbl maker picks this up, would love to have one in 6.5CM or .260

So after reading this thread a few times I broke down and picked up an 18" SSG 3000 today. The "plastic" stock is pretty hard core for a plastic stock. Feels very solid.

Still have not made up my mind on a scope yet. So it will be a little while until I can shoot it and work up some loads for it. I picked up a Steiner 4-16x50mm for it last week. Ordered a Spuhr mount which should be here in the next day or two.

I do have a question for you guys. What bore guide/s work with this rifle? NVM I have a lucas on the way

No test target with mine.

Got her put together.

11590824.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Sig 3000 and a TRG 42 and both have an absolutely great trigger and are very accurate. I bought the TRG 42 because the stock is a little cheap on the Sig 3000 but not as much as my Steyr SSG 04 which while also very accurate and having a great trigger that stock is very, very cheap.
Walmart was having a great sale on the Sig 3000 which has a MSRP of $1500 and they were selling it for $999.00

SKU numbers

FYI

I see some SSG 3000 offerings on the webs with conflicting listings, such as an American version with a classic McMillan stock photo at a killer price. From what I have gleened:

SKU

RSSG-H24B-308 .... SSG3000 308 1:12 (McMillan stock)
RSSG-H24B-308-P .... 24" Patrol (American stock)
RSSG-H18B-308-P-TB .... 18" THREADED BARREL

Haven't gone down the rabbit-hole enough to decipher each designator, but this is what I have found so far....

Last edited:
Do anyone know if i can get my hands on a spare stock for this rifle somewhere? (the new plaatic one)

Any tips is very appreciated.

FWIW I just finished a 3 day LRP class this week. I don't hand load yet so was using CBC (Magtech's top line) 168gr sniper hpbt. At 400 yds (397, we couldn't fire until we had mil'd the distance to within 5 yards of laser result) everything (other than my bad's, it was a class after all :) ) were under an inch. At 600 (606) it opened up to just under 3 inches. After that things went south. It loves the 168s but the 168s seem to not like going past 600. At a thousand (1018) I would hit all around a 10 inch plate (within inches) but never hit the plate. Another gentleman at the class also had a SSG 3000 and he was shooting Federal Gold Match 175 and eventually hit the 1000 yd plates (10 and 8 inch) 2 out 3 times.

I have both the Sako TRG 42 in 300 WM ( as well as as an unfired TRG 338 Lapua so far) and the Sig 3000 and the only difference I can see is the recoil. Both are equally accurate giving between .5 and .4 moa at 100 yards. Maybe my Sig is a little more accurate than it should be when compared to the TRG but that is what is. Both have been fired with 175/190 ( 300 WM) Fed. Match.

I finely got a chance to shot my new Sig this weekend. Weather has been a bitch the past few weekends.

I only had PPU 168gr Match and 168gr FGMM to try in it. After getting a good zero at 100 yards I tried some groups with the PPU first. I am new to shooting this precision stuff but got what I would call good groups for me.

The best of the PPU groups was just over an inch. I shot 100 rounds of the PPU and it seems like the head space is all over the place with this ammo. Some of the rounds were very hard to close the bolt on. Three of the rounds I gave up on. Should not be that hard to close a bolt. I checked the three rounds in a case gauge and they are a little long, did not expect this with factory ammo.

The FGMM was much better. Best group with it was right at 3/4" which for me is very good. No problems closing the bolt on any of the Fed ammo.

Very happy with the rifle so far. I did call Sig to ask about the spacers on the butt of the stock. They sent me one of the thicker ones at no charge. I am 6'5" tall and it helps.

Hey Folks,
I've been lusting over this gun for a bit and finally PTT...

I expect the gun in about a week and half and I'm trying to order some of the support stuff to get here with the gun. I know I'm going to put a rail mount bi-pod on it, so I need a center to center measurement between forward sling studs. I haven't decided if I'll remove the studs or adapt for a short rail, but knowing this will give me more options it think.

Beside getting the measurement, Questions, Comments, and Just Plain Wise Crack remarks are all welcomed

Thanks
K

Hello everyone,
I have never liked the cheekpiece on the new style stock, so when Mcmillan had the $$G stock in inventory so I went ahead and ordered it Sunday. It came in yesterday and i was excited to swap out the stocks. I ran into a problem where there is a spacer called a baseplate part #511 that is molded in to the new stock, but a separate part for the Mcmillan stock. It is a small plate that goes around the magazine release button and the front attachment bolt goes through to the barrel insert. I was wondering if anyone has done this stock swap and was able to get this part.

Last edited:
I took the Sig 3000 to the range today and using 168 grain Federal Match was able to get .5 inch groups at 100 yards.My friend who is a better shot got .4" groups. For the price this rifle sells at, I have seen them on sale at Walmart for $999 they are amazing. I paid $1359 about and I was thinking about buying the sale one at Walmart but didn't.
Using a Steiner Military 34mm tubed scope and will try the 175 grain Federal Match at 200 yards. Maybe the Sako TRG 42 in 300WM or 338 can do better but not yet with me, I need to practice more.

It looks like this is the most comprehensive post on the ssg I can find, so I thought I'd post here... I was wondering if any non Macmillan stock ssg owners ever considered changing out their stock with one of these..

www.larschassis.com/products/ Scroll down to the bottom...

I'm a new shooter so I'm sure the stock the rifle comes with will exceed my ability but the stock listed above states

"AICS Magazine compatible"

it's probably not referring to the ssg variant of this stock, but I was hoping someone could comment and educate...

Thanks
K

Last edited:
It looks like this is the most comprehensive post on the ssg I can find, so I thought I'd post here... I was wondering if any non Macmillan stock ssg owners ever considered changing out their stock with one of these..

LARS - Long range Aluminium Rifle Stock Scroll down to the bottom...

I'm a new shooter so I'm sure the stock the rifle comes with will exceed my ability but the stock listed above states

it's probably not referring to the ssg variant of this stock, but I was hoping someone could comment and educate...

Thanks
K

There's no way I can think of to make an SSG compatible with AI mags, short of drastically cutting on the action, IIRC.

www.larschassis.com/products/ Scroll down to the bottom...

Thanks
K

Heya, im a sauer 200str owner and im very tired of my stock not fitting me anywhere so when i saw the stock you linked to. I became very interested and i have sent him an email with some questions and hopefullt i will have some information to share and hopefully one will be shipped over here very soon :D, too bad it's so wide in the front and i really hope the pictures are not telling the truth because the grip looks short ass hell.

Sorry for my bad english.

// Johan

Has anyone sorted out the barrel adapter/ barrel replacement issue? If you could get barrels spun up in adaptors off the rifle like a DTA I'd sell my 700 and Mcrees today to buy one of these.

Last edited:
As far as I know that dude in Denmark is the only one selling barrel extensions. I emailed him 2 weeks ago about ordering some and haven't heard back. We really need someone in the states to produce these.

This sounds like something LRI might like to tackle. Chad is always tinkering and once he got a program set up it would be pretty easy to duplicate.

Love the rifle, hate the stock. Wonder if anyone in the U.S. is going to do an aftermarket stock. It would for sure give the TRG a run for it's money.

I did shoot the McMillan version a few years ago and it was so solid and accurate, it was love a first shot.

As far as I know that dude in Denmark is the only one selling barrel extensions. I emailed him 2 weeks ago about ordering some and haven't heard back. We really need someone in the states to produce these.

Yep, I would buy one tomorrow if I knew I could replace the barrel.

Hello everyone,
I have never like the cheekpiece on the new style stock, so when Mcmillan had the $$G stock in inventory so I went ahead and ordered it Sunday. It came in yesterday and i was excited to swap out the stocks. I ran into a problem where there is a spacer called a baseplate part #511 that is molded in to the new stock, but a separate part for the Mcmillan stock. It is a small plate that goes around the magazine release button and the front attachment bolt goes through to the barrel insert. I was wondering if anyone has done this stock swap and was able to get this part.

You can easily find it in sweden, norway, denmark, try skyttetjanst.se in sweden email [email protected] or landro.no in norway [email protected], the price is probably 30$ + shipping.

Has anyone sorted out the barrel adapter/ barrel replacement issue figured out? If you could get barrels spun up in adaptors off the rifle like a DTA I'd sell my 700 and Mcrees today to buy one of these.

Yep, I would buy one tomorrow if I knew I could replace the barrel.

Just find a gunsmith that can make the stock barrel to a adapter if you still want the stack barrel have him redo the chamber and thread the barrel and so can screw it onto the adapter he built with the back end, that's how we have always done it in sweden, norway, denmark before the danish people started selling the adapter (my guess is that the danish guys are reusing old worn out barrel's to build the adapters, a competion shooter here wears out a barrel or two per year so we have plenty of scrap barrels)

Great thread.
SSG will be here Thursday. Been doing much reading. Have a 20 moa mount on the way for my 8x32
For the owners that have placed a muzzle brake, what seems to work with this gun and does it match the barrel profile?

Great thread.
SSG will be here Thursday. Been doing much reading. Have a 20 moa mount on the way for my 8x32
For the owners that have placed a muzzle brake, what seems to work with this gun and does it match the barrel profile?

Muzzle is .750 I believe, so the JP large profile at .750 OD would be a good fit. I had an extra .875 one laying around and it was excellent on the SSG. The .750 would be a better fit.

JP Rifles

I have the AAC single chamber non-mount brake on mine. While very effective it doesn't match the profile that great.

Great thread.

I have been considering getting a brake from Silencerco or TB, in case a suppressor is in my future.

Have an of you fella's shot any of the heavies out of this gun yet,wondering how the 208amax or 215vlds would do thanks.