• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Silenceco brake threads

Btrain

Shooter up!
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
KS
I know a bit random but looking for opinions… bought this from the PX - when I went to install I got a couple threads in a it got really rough. On further inspection it looks like some red locative residue / agree? If I heat the break enough to further breakdown the locative will it damage the break? Appreciate the thoughts

BV

Attachments

• 4CEE1114-5C47-42E4-B4EC-E42092794C4C.jpeg
    4CEE1114-5C47-42E4-B4EC-E42092794C4C.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I know a bit random but looking for opinions… bought this from the PX - when I went to install I got a couple threads in a it got really rough. On further inspection it looks like some red locative residue / agree? If I heat the break enough to further breakdown the locative will it damage the break? Appreciate the thoughts

BV
You shouldn’t have to heat it up enough to hurt anything.

BV
As far as I remember, the SiCo brakes are made of stainless. If you are trying to install the brake on a stainless barrel, particularly if dry, you run a real risk of galling the threads and seizing the brake in place, wherever that hapens to be.

This may or may not be controversial, but I put some nickel based anti seize compound on the threads before starting. When I get it screwed all the way on, I tighten it up with a large/long wrench, then I give the wrench a couple of good hits with a dead blow hammer. Haven't had any problems since I started doing it that way.

Zip Strip paint remover will breakdown red thread locker if you don't want to use heat.