• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Silencer advice for 5.56

Black Rifle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2006
Vermillion, South Dakota
I am looking for a recommendation what silencer brand to purchase and why. It will be going on my GAP built AR.
DSC00850.jpg

Re: Silencer advice for 5.56

It's not free, but Silence Research does extensive testing here. I bought an SWR Trident-9 and couldn't be happier after reviewing their 9mm tests and supporting videos. Haven't seen the .223/5.56 test, but one is available from 2008.

Just an FYI...

I'm happy with my Ops Inc 12th model, but it requires a specific mounting system and barrel taper.

AAC m4 1000, probably the best bang for the buck. I have the YHM phantom and I am not that happy with it, I wish i would have sprung the extra couple hundred for a better can. live and learn i guess.

CJG

I would tell you any 30cal can is just what you need.

The best way to find out what can you need to get, is to go to a range and be next to some when shot.

Living is SD, I think that you can stir the pot here on SH and other internet locations and see if can owners would like to have a meeting at the range / farm and let you all hear there systems.

Just an idea

John

Rank the following features in order of importance for yourself:

- Weight
- Length
- Mounting system
- POI Shift
- Sound Reduction
- Materials used for construction
- Full auto rated
- Do you want to use it on some thing as short as a 10.5 with a carbine length gas system and a standard front sight tower
- Price

I run an AAC M4-2000 on 3 different AR's and am happy with it. If I was choosing one for a precision AR only, it would be an Ops Inc Model 12, or an AAC SPR-M4.

After hearing several different models at various competitions, I was personally impressed with the SRT Arms line of cans.
I purchased a Typhoon with the Atlas Universal mount in September.
http://www.srtarms.com/
FN2000_Typhoon7.jpg

(Still waiting on the Form 4 though.)

Besides being impressed with the perceived sound of the can, I also based my decision on three other significant things.
- SRT Arms has the "Atlas Universal Mount" which allows the mounting of the can on any muzzle device that uses the 22 mm standard NATO-specification bird-cage type flash hider pattern.
(This allows me to more easily use my can on a lot more host weapons.)
- SRT Arms cans use a proprietary baffle design that supports accuracy by not disturbing the projectile with gas pressure variance like a K baffle can do.
- Due to the proprietary AZTech baffles, .22lr use is not a problem since there are not any blind holes or chambers to clog up.
Just run a magazine of 5.56mm through it and all the crud from the .22lr will either be incinerated or dislodged so it can be easily removed.

+1 for Silencer Research membership.
It is a worthy investment prior to purchasing any can.
One thing to keep in mind though, perceived sound levels are very subjective.
Test results also significantly vary depending on environmental conditions.

I hope this information is helpful to you, but you really need to poke around to decide for yourself which sound suppressor is right for you.

That is the FN FS200's Flash Hider.
FN2000_Typhoon1.jpg

It is just one of the Pics from SRT's site.
I choose it to illustrate the flexability of the mount and the size of the can.

The owner, Doug Melton customized the one I purchased so that it works with longer Flash Hider's such as the YHM Phantom II by removing the stop in the mount.
(Same OD as an A2 FH & the slot spacing is the same.)
This mod is pretty slick because it allows the can to be mounted to soooo many other mounts.
The stop was only there in the first place to help index the can so that the user could easily mount the can in the dark.

A good start:

"Rank the following features in order of importance for yourself:

- Weight
- Length
- Mounting system
- POI Shift
- Sound Reduction
- Materials used for construction
- Full auto rated
- Do you want to use it on some thing as short as a 10.5 with a carbine length gas system and a standard front sight tower
- Price"

I would add:

- Requirement for disassembly
- Caliber step down application
- Dedicated or removeable

You are not going to be too impressed with the K can. I can give you a few reasons why offline. Lose the break and get a Thunder Beast. Zak, Ray and Shane are on this forum, contact them and get it set up with your dealer. You won't be disapointed.