• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Silencer Shop News Update: ATF eForms Launch Imminent!

Hey RS14, thanks for reaching out. It seems like the eForms site is working, you might want to hit up the ATF at 304-616-4500 to see if they can sort out your account. You're in the window for approvals we've been seeing, hopefully, you get some good news soon! - Chase
I'm going to give them a ring in the morning.

Efile submitted to ATF 2/24/2022 aka 196 days and waiting.
Efile submitted to ATF 3/9/2022 aka 183 days and waiting.

Reactions: RS14
Just received the last approval from 5 Eforms submitted on February 18th.
First approval on 7/29 and last on 9/6. Thank god we have an efficient computerized system now.

From what i understand (just internet reading...i have 0 experience otherwise) it seems a large majority of the problem, now at least, is at the background check done by the FBI. I dont understand the hangup but I have a few theories.

One theory is that since we're stuck in the NFA association, the background check has to be more exhaustive and something similar to getting suitability clearance to work on a government project containing sensitive information which can take a couple weeks (side note...having said clearance does not help expedite the approval process). However, I would think they could gain some efficiencies there by either adding a flag in the FBI system for individuals that have cleared a check within the past, say 6 months, which could then be linked to the ATF system. This implementation would mean that as soon as the ATF examiner gets the form they could run a check against the FBI system, validate the individual was recently cleared, and boom...insta-approval. Alternatively, since the forms are now distributed digitally, they could link multiple forms based on name / social number. Then its one check and they'd all get cleared. However, as we here know, "efficiency" is not a word in the government vocabulary.

The eForms system, from what i have seen, is kind of cludgey. They are essentially running an imbedded PDF engine but the form remains the same. Those systems can be kind of buggey due in part to the amount of resources required for rendering + processing...as we've seen. It would have been a nicer / more reliable design if they'd updated the eForm submission to be more of a standard web form with traditional text fields, boxes, and radios like those digital firearm transfer forms at the big retailers. Plus, it probably would have been less overhead from a development perspective to have gone that route. I'm arm chair quarterbacking and making a lot of assumptions about how their backend systems work though.

The current eForms implementation does address one of the previous lags in the process which was the literal mailing of forms between the agencies. I understand the previous process as; the ATF would get the form, it'd sit until an examiner was assigned, reviewed, sit until a batch worthy enough was stacked, batch mailed to the FBI, sit until an FBI investigator was assigned, checked, validated, then mailed back, sit until the examiner picked it up again, reviewed, approved, stamp assigned, mailed. Each one of those "sit and waits" was probably 1-2 months.

Anyway, I think the eForms system is a decent start to resolving a broken system. I think / hope we'll continue to see the eForms submissions be ~2x faster than the paper forms as evident in the timelines (200 days vs 400 days). A few additional changes in the interaction between the agencies would make it better and expedite the process though.

....or they could just remove suppressors from the NFA act since they dont really belong there and are, IMO, safety items similar in nature to earplugs...but they're scary and according to the movies will make firearms as quiet as rubber band slapping your wrist ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They also generate tax revenue that can be erroneously used for things that it shouldnt be...like subsidizing student loan debt or padding a politicians wallet.

Reactions: stefan73
Congrats on the approvals, we love to hear it! Which 5 did you grab? - Chase
Sandman s, nomad l, Cgs hydra, and cgs mod9. It would be nice if they would do batch approvals on forms submitted on the same day. Seems like it would simplify things as well. Have you seen any batch approvals on eforms?

Sandman s, nomad l, Cgs hydra, and cgs mod9. It would be nice if they would do batch approvals on forms submitted on the same day. Seems like it would simplify things as well. Have you seen any batch approvals on eforms?
That's a solid roster of suppressors, you're covered from rimfires up to magnum calibers! We have seen customers and dealers post about batch approvals, they don't seem to be super common, but they do happen. - Chase

thanks for the response. i should have guessed that considering my experience dealing with the inefficiency of government agencies. lol

Ordered.................. 11/23/21
Ready to Certify.....02/09/22
Email Approval.......09/13/22

216 days from certification
294 days from order date

Better than the paper form 4, but I was beginning to wonder whether the paper form I have pending would win the race.

Reactions: 30calDeath
Ordered.................. 11/23/21
Ready to Certify.....02/09/22
Email Approval.......09/13/22

216 days from certification
294 days from order date

Better than the paper form 4, but I was beginning to wonder whether the paper form I have pending would win the race.
Nice! We love to see that. Enjoy that R9 - Chase

Last edited:
216 days on an efile approval is not something to get excited about. Unless you're the guy who was approved. And he should have been approved 3 months ago

Totally hear you, while we can't speak on how the ATF chooses to process applications, we like to celebrate when folks get approvals.

Last edited:
Reactions: LV Precision
I'm a 12/1 but i'm pretty sure it's paper. I think i missed the eforms hold for submission by like 3 days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pessimistically optimistic that the eforms backlog will start to move quicker considering i 'think' the bulk of the eforms submissions were Februarys. If memory serves they held a bunch and then flooded the queue. I have to hope anyway since my eforms certify's are 4/27+.
Then again, this is the government so who knows.

I'm a 12/1 but i'm pretty sure it's paper. I think i missed the eforms hold for submission by like 3 days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pessimistically optimistic that the eforms backlog will start to move quicker considering i 'think' the bulk of the eforms submissions were Februarys. If memory serves they held a bunch and then flooded the queue. I have to hope anyway since my eforms certify's are 4/27+.

I’d be surprised if things sped up anytime soon with eforms all but coming to a stop and the approval times increasing daily. I’ve only consistently seen February and some March approvals in the last few months, all the while submissions keep pouring in. By the time they clean up paper forms and decide to get back to eforms the backlog is going to be massive.

I have 3 cans March 4th and a magnus May 4th, I’ll be lucky to get the magnus by the end of the year at this rate and that’s the one I want the most.

Last edited:
I hear you. I've been watching the approval threads slogging through. I have 2 on paper from December that are probably going to beat my 3 on eforms from early May. Oh well.

In two more weeks, I will be right at a one year wait for a Dominus. So getting one from December seems optimistic, but who knows?

I’d be surprised if things sped up anytime soon with eforms all but coming to a stop and the approval times increasing daily. I’ve only consistently seen February and some March approvals in the last few months, all the while submissions keep pouring in. By the time they clean up paper forms and decide to get back to eforms the backlog is going to be massive.

I have 3 cans March 4th and a magnus May 4th, I’ll be lucky to get the magnus by the end of the year at this rate and that’s the one I want the most.

Why are the E forms all but coming to a stop?

Haven't been following much recently but still have one floating out there somewhere from May...

3/9/2022 Certified, Efile, SS, 208 days and waiting.
i have two from 03/17. just curious to know what control numbers and dates the atf are working on. btw, my congressional rep is contacting the atf to ask that question and to also ask why the efiles are slowing down. i have also asked that they find out why the atf people answering the phone only provide a “ pending status” when you call. i have been told by atf personnel answering the phone that is the only info they have access to. my question is, if you don’t have access to all pertinent info to be able to answer my questions, then why are you answering the phone ? but then again maybe i’m using too much logic, critical thinking and rational thought. what am i thinking, after all i am dealing with a government agency. duh.

Haven't been following much recently but still have one floating out there somewhere from May...
It’s obvious since they’re still working on February and the approval times are constantly getting pushed back. Rumor has it so they can get the paper forms finished.

It’s obvious since they’re still working on February and the approval times are constantly getting pushed back. Rumor has it so they can get the paper forms finished.
My one lone (and final) paper stamp cashed the first week of December 2021 will be glad to hear this news in three to six more months.

Can add March now…
Just saw a March 1 2022 submission on Reddit with an October 1 2022 approval…

Can add March now…
Just saw a March 1 2022 submission on Reddit with an October 1 2022 approval…
There’s been March approvals here and there but not consistent like February.

What is your certify date? Seems that Feb (maybe march) 2022 dates are being approved right now...
I think I certified in March technically because it took forever to just be able to do that plus I wasn’t even aware of it till I called in and checked with SilencerShop and that’s when they explained the whole certifying thing that I wasn’t even aware was part of the process

I think I certified in March technically because it took forever to just be able to do that plus I wasn’t even aware of it till I called in and checked with SilencerShop and that’s when they explained the whole certifying thing that I wasn’t even aware was part of the process
I would be happy to look at your submission and check it out, Forrest. Usually, orders get certified in less than 3 weeks, we're sorry that your experience was longer than that. I'll share an image of all of the steps: Here, to avoid confusion about what's next. I'll send you a DM to get your info. - Chase

I would be happy to look at your submission and check it out, Forrest. Usually, orders get certified in less than 3 weeks, we're sorry that your experience was longer than that. I'll share an image of all of the steps: Here, to avoid confusion about what's next. I'll send you a DM to get your info. - Chase
Thanks for reaching out

Per Capital Armory on the Reddit NFA sub:

They've REALLY slowed down on eFile approvals as they are clearing out the paper backlog.

This makes sense, as we heard several months ago on Vortex's podcast that when eForms launched, the examiners were more or less split between finishing approvals of paper Form 4s (which had already backed up before this point) and processing the new eForms (of which I'm sure there was an avalanche because of various unrealistic estimated wait times). And note that this is different than the issue affecting February '22 applications.

There are at least 3-4 months of paper F4s remaining in the system at this time (based upon personal experience and ), and so that hints at a conclusion of paper forms around the end of this year. Then the newly-formed clog of eForms will need to be addressed.

I don't see this mess resolved before the middle of next year.

Per Capital Armory on the Reddit NFA sub:

This makes sense, as we heard several months ago on Vortex's podcast that when eForms launched, the examiners were more or less split between finishing approvals of paper Form 4s (which had already backed up before this point) and processing the new eForms (of which I'm sure there was an avalanche because of various unrealistic estimated wait times). And note that this is different than the issue affecting February '22 applications.

There are at least 3-4 months of paper F4s remaining in the system at this time (based upon personal experience and ), and so that hints at a conclusion of paper forms around the end of this year. Then the newly-formed clog of eForms will need to be addressed.

I don't see this mess resolved before the middle of next year.

While i have no direct evidence to corroborate your assessment, from what i'm seeing, this is 100% spot on.

Watching the various approval threads, I think we'll see the 2021 paper forms thin out mid-late next month (at least I hope cause i've got a couple paper forms on a 12/1 certify date...i'm unlucky). As it stands, I'm seeing a number of late October and Novembers getting approved. Although that's not saying a whole lot cause there's everything from august through november ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then there's the deluge of eforms though. Those things are at a CRAWL now. Given the promise of the golden "90 day approval time" (remember that teaser of a 7 day approval...), a lot of folks jumped in (myself included). By the time they get the papers cleared (December timeframe), they'll still be processing the March eforms. Unless they turn and burn on those, expect a 1:1 month approval which means 7 months or so until THAT backlogs cleared.

....and all my eforms are early May...my timing is terrible.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Made another eform 4 purchase last week through the kiosk and certified yesterday. At the end of the phone call the dealer said eventually when it’s approved and I come to pick it up they want a printed copy of the trust and the stamp for their records. Sounds pretty shady to me since no other dealer has asked for a copy of the trust AFTER approval and I’m pretty sure they don’t get copies of the stamp to keep either. My thoughts are this shop was told by the sheriff to make a list of the NFA types in the county. I could be wrong but I don’t plan to provide them anything like that after the form 4 has been approved.

Edited for autocorrect typo

Last edited:
Reactions: 30calDeath
Made another eform 4 purchase last week through the kiosk and certified yesterday. At the end of the phone call the dealer said eventually when it’s approved and I come to pick it up they want a printed copy of the trust and the stamp for their records. Sounds pretty shady to me since no other dealer has asked for a copy of the trust AFTER approval and I’m pretty sure they don’t get copies of the stamp to keep either. My thoughts are this shop was told by the sheriff to make a list of the NDA types in the county. I could be wrong but I don’t plan to provide them anything like that after the form 4 has been approved.
They always keep a copy of the approved form 4.

Reactions: FuhQ
1666624571048.png