• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sling for my AR

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
Hey guys, just curious...just picked up my first AR, and looking for a sling. Found some info on teh following...TAB, TIS, and VTAC here on teh Hide. Anyone care to chime in which one I should go with? 16" Carbine.

Thanks

Re: Sling for my AR

magpul ms-2. You can use it as a single or 2 point sling i love mine. If you go this route also buy the asap plate for it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">magpul ms-2. You can use it as a single or 2 point sling i love mine. If you go this route also buy the asap plate for it </div></div>

Did you get yours from Magpul? Or another vendor? I got my mags from Magpul, so I have thier site saved.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">every man on the planet needs a MAMBA.........and a right angle flashlight </div></div>

Call me the newbie..so, I'll bite. Whats a Mamba?

Mamba.jpg

kind of an ongoing joke with me and my cohorts, it's sold at every PX in the world. Used one in Iraq and is actually a decent sling. Just google Mamba Sling, they're sold all over

OK guys, well thanks for all of teh info and feedback. I really like that Magpul MS2, but if teh Mamba is the pic that you included, Im liking that as well...

Mamba come in black? Assuming it does...any sponsor on the site carry them? Or anyone I should deal with in particular? not wanting to get carried away ($$$$$) so price will be another factor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">magpul ms-2. You can use it as a single or 2 point sling i love mine. If you go this route also buy the asap plate for it
</div></div>

I use the Magpul set-up. I like it because it can be used as a single point or two point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wgwe5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out urban-ert slings @ www.urbanertslings.com , I have their e-rush sling and I really like it. It can be set up single point or two point. </div></div>

Matt (the owner) is a friend of mine and his slings are good to go. That said, I bought a Magpul MS2 several weeks ago and I like it so far. It's on the thin side and I don't think I would enjoy wearing it for extended periods of time without my vest on. It is also rather difficult to adjust but seems to be loosening up a bit the more I use it.

Magpuls down fall for me, it's just a tad thin, if it had or was offered with a bit of padding or was a quarter to a half inch wider it would gain a few points in my book.

Vickers Blue force and the Vikings sling work very well. But there are dozens to chose from. The new QA for Tab would likely be very nice too.

VTAC. I've used a lot of different slings including the MS2. All of these slings mentioned have their place and some of them are really great. In my opinion the VTAC is the most versatile, simple, useful for a wide variety of missions. It's great to shoot in multiple positions and great for weapons retention when doing stuff with your hands. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">magpul ms-2. You can use it as a single or 2 point sling i love mine. If you go this route also buy the asap plate for it </div></div>

Did you get yours from Magpul? Or another vendor? I got my mags from Magpul, so I have thier site saved.

Thanks </div></div>Yeah I ordered mine from magpul

Well guys, I think Im gonna flip a coin between the Magpul and the Mamba.

Even though in fear of sounding biased, Im liking teh Mamba, simply because of "Black Mamba" from Kill Bill/Uma Thurman,
laugh.gif

OK, well, to be fair, I will do a 2 out of 3 coin flip....

Ok, I flipped a 1982 Quarter, and I gave Magpul heads and Mamba tails.

Magpul won, 2 out of 3. I went to order it, and appears either out of stock, or at this time, only shipping to dealers.

So, I decided to do a 2 out of 3 on whether or not to call Magpul and see if that is teh case, or just order Mamba.

Mamba won 2nd time around (still gave Mamba tails). I just finished ordering the Black Mamba...
crazy.gif

Thanks guys for feedback

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">blue force gear vickers sling i love mine and price is fairly reasonable</div></div> The BFG Vicker's sling is what I've been using for the last two years, and I believe it beats everything else out there when it's going on a carbine. Quick adjustment to include capable of going long enough to transition to weak side shooting without removing the sling, no tail dangling of of it to get hung up on anything, and all around practical purpose in design. I'm also strictly a two point sling user.

Three point slings for me have too much stuff along side the rifle that gets snagged and hung up on everything, and it also gets in the way of the bolt catch during remedial action. Used one for quite a while when it was issued to me, and I dumped it first chance I had.

One point slings bob around and bounce too much for me when doing a transition to pistol, especially when moving. They also have no way to get them out of the way across the back when two hands are necessary (searches, climbing, etc). Took one for a three day test drive on the range and at work, and gave it back to the guy who gave it to me.

The biggest suggestion I have with it is if you go with a QD front sling swivel, make sure it won't rotate a full 360*.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">blue force gear vickers sling i love mine and price is fairly reasonable</div></div> The BFG Vicker's sling is what I've been using for the last two years, and I believe it beats everything else out there when it's going on a carbine. Quick adjustment to include capable of going long enough to transition to weak side shooting without removing the sling, no tail dangling of of it to get hung up on anything, and all around practical purpose in design. I'm also strictly a two point sling user.

Three point slings for me have too much stuff along side the rifle that gets snagged and hung up on everything, and it also gets in the way of the bolt catch during remedial action. Used one for quite a while when it was issued to me, and I dumped it first chance I had.

One point slings bob around and bounce too much for me when doing a transition to pistol, especially when moving. They also have no way to get them out of the way across the back when two hands are necessary (searches, climbing, etc). Took one for a three day test drive on the range and at work, and gave it back to the guy who gave it to me.

The biggest suggestion I have with it is if you go with a QD front sling swivel, make sure it won't rotate a full 360*. </div></div>

+1 for Vickers 2pt.

I tell you what guys, ya'll have all made good selling points on each one you favor, and I respect each and everyone of your opinions (is why I asked).

The good thing about the sling is, it's not what I would call, "costly". So, if I end up not liking the one I purchased, well, I have more opinons above, that I will gladly follow.
Truth be it, this will be my first experience with an AR and a sling (and again, is why I wanted you guys opinions).

At this point, when my sling gets here, need to put it on, take it out into the field, and put it to use.

+1 for Magpul I love mine and it is very versatile , I would also recommend the asp end plate and the new forward attachment point they sell fir when you want a two point sling.

For a single point sling look at Gear Sector GS-1P. For a 2 point that can transition back and forth from single point to 2 point look at Gear Sectors GS-2P. For a 2 point only look at the Blue Force Gear VCAS. It is easy to adjust and the tail does not get longer and shorter as you adjust it. I use a VCAS on my work shotgun and a Gear Sector 2 point on my work carbine. On the carbine I run a Tango Down PR-4 which offers three quick disconnect attachment points on the rifle (left, center, and right). When using it as a single point I attach the GS-2P to the left and center. When I want to switch it so a 2 point I simply unhook the left qd and move it to the forward spot on the rail.

Hey guys, thanks again for all of the feedback...I did make my purchase already, as said above. Will be here tomorrow...

OK, got here yesterday..didnt have time to mess with it...should have some pics later on this afternoon of it mounted....

I am using the "Patrol Sling" form Spec-Ops, easy to adjust, no extra straps to get in the way of the Bolt release, simple, easy to use.

Guess you last 2 guys read teh subject matter, but not what was posted in the thread
smile.gif

Already got it...I took pics last night of it mounted up, but my wife took camera to get some pics to develop...so, should have them up tonight...

Looks good, feels good...granted, havent had it out in teh field yet, but....

I second the Magpul ms2 w/ ASAP plate. Used mine for a yr in the sandbox. The set-up is bomb-proof, easy to adjust size, and single to two point changes take seconds, even on the go. Haven't seen a better setup yet.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">make one of 550 cord </div></div>

I know you already purchased one but +1!! I made a little paracord sling for my bolt gun and man everyone wanted to know where i got it. I got bored with the design so i sold it and now im making another with a different design.

Theres a few how to videos out there but with some extra time and a bit of an imagination you can create your own design.

Hey Cordoba---let me guess---you've got something to sell? 50 BS posts in one day!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Cordoba---let me guess---you've got something to sell? 50 BS posts in one day!! </div></div>

Good eye.
How many posts do you need to sell? 100?

He'll get that in a few minutes at this rate.

Better be something cool. All he has posted is:
"Badass"
"Sweet rifle"
"Awesome Gun"

He is up to 76...........

I purchased the MS2 Sling with the ASAP plate and used it for a bit, Pros fast easy transitions Cons thin strap that gets uncomfortable after a few hours.

The VTAC padded sling is supper comfortable, but a little slower to transition to the supprt side.

I ended up butchering the MS2 and using the hardware (QR Buckles) and transferring them over to the VTAC sling. Now I got the best of both worlds-padded comfortable sling with quick transitions to support side plus the ability to make it into a tradition two point sling. I'll try to post some pics later if I can. Only downside is a little bit of money. Took two slings in order to make one really good on. Goodluck.

I like the V-Tac or the Larue sling. The Larue has the QD buckle and it built by V-Tac from what I can tell since they are the same sling besides the buckle.

F-ing awesome idea, speedy. Must say that I'm thinking about copying you. You should def post pics, so we can see that (and so I can cheat, lol).
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">blue force gear vickers sling i love mine and price is fairly reasonable</div></div> The BFG Vicker's sling is what I've been using for the last two years, and I believe it beats everything else out there when it's going on a carbine. Quick adjustment to include capable of going long enough to transition to weak side shooting without removing the sling, no tail dangling of of it to get hung up on anything, and all around practical purpose in design. I'm also strictly a two point sling user.

The biggest suggestion I have with it is if you go with a QD front sling swivel, make sure it won't rotate a full 360*. </div></div>

+1 for Vickers 2pt. </div></div>

Late to the game but... Vickers here as well.