• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Topic in New Tac Gaming Vid Article

SAWMAN

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
SW
www.tacticalinsider.com
Here's an interview article I just did with Tom's Hardware on the tactical video gaming, OPSEC, Sniper related stuff, etc. Due to the sniper info, I thought it might be of interest here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/call-of-duty-craig-sawyer-seal-opsec,3350.html

At some point, I'll either do a documentary, or a book on Sarajevo and the Sniper vs. Sniper campaign there between the Muslims and Serbs. Unique tactics, mindset, hide construction, etc. Very different approach to what I've seen in other theaters.

Re: Sniper Topic in New Tac Gaming Vid Article

Usually guys are ridiculed on here if they admit that they play Call of Duty type games. It isn't uncommon to hear something along the lines of "The only time you shot a (insert weapon system here) is when you were playing Call Of Duty in your mom's basement amid a stack of pizza boxes and bottles of Mountain Dew".

Curious to see how this will now play out given the "celebrity" status of the OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Curious to see how this will now play out given the "celebrity" status of the OP. </div></div>

Well, the best operators I know play these games. Why not? They're pretty fun. Now my 9 yr old son can work me over on those games if I'm not careful. Kid's got skills... Funny. It's also funny when I try to teach him basic stuff for real and he's not even ready for that yet. He's a bad ass online, though. Gotta love the irony.

Dude, its no dig on you, believe me. I have both an Xbox 360 and PS3. Love them both and great stress relievers. It's amazing how far these things have come since the days of Commodore 64 and Atari. The "realism" in some of these games is sick. They need to bring back the AC-130 mission from a few years ago.

At my job, we'll do demos sometimes or show and tells for schools or youth groups. When it comes time to demo the guns, the kids know all of the types of weapons and the nomenclature of each. When asked how they know this at such a young age, the overwhelming answer is something like, "It's part of my favorite loadout on Battlefield 3/Call of Duty 4". Its always good for a laugh that the kids know more about our weaponry then most adults.

Anyway, my comments were meant for the usual suspects here that are too tough to play these games.

I'm on PS3, I play them all the time... the only COD i have played multiplayer is the older ones, the bolt action servers with the WWII maps, I tend to fair better. I also do pretty well on the Battlefield servers, as opposed to high speed COD ones.

It's simulation, you can play a map over and over and work out kinks on how you entered a room, cleared a section and with most games, when you play the computer or the multiplayers they don't put the bad guys in the same place from reset to reset.

I haven't multiplayer gamed in a while, but I cruise around as Freddie's Ascot when I do.

I got too addicted to MW3 last year, enough that I sold my Xbox when it got nice outside last spring! lol

Wish I didn't, now that it sux outside, and black ops 2 came out! hehe

I hear ya, I was so Addicted to call of duty, Ive owned every one since the first Modern Warfare, it got so bad with mw3 that i would think of excuses to come home from work and play, i was meeting people on the game(multiplayer) and texting them about game stuff constantly, when i got into the top 100 rank for hardcore search and destroy i realized i had a problem and immediately sold the ps3 and went back to the gym lifestyle.

We got a PS/3. My better half wanted it for workout videos and I thought that one of the games would be fun and bought the game with a little MP5 looking gun. I think it was SOCOM. Was expecting to have a blast with it. I played something like twice and completely didn't get into it... Then again, never was much of a computer gamer.

The Sarajevo documentary, however... now that sounds interesting!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I don't own any late model gaming consoles, but do enjoy playing all the latest games at a buddy's house (he's a gaming addict). The things kids learn from these games is amazing! We took one of my friends 10? year old cousin out shooting one day. He asked me if he could shoot my AR, so I happy obliged. He has never touched an AR in his life. I handed him the rifle and a magazine and before I got the first word out of my mouth, he jammed the magazine in, gave it a second tap to make sure it was seated, racked the charging handle to load a round, and asked if he was clear to shoot. My jaw dropped..... I had to teach him how to use the safety, but his basic mechanics were as good or better than most! He proceeded to ring steel offhand at 50yds round after round! He goes with us every chance we get now and loves to keeps our magazines loaded!

Arma 2 is probably the most realistic game I've played. User interface is tricky but the community built around it is great. Plus users can make their own content so you don't have to shell out for DLC's.

Absolute newbie question here, but gaming in general. Can one use a game with a ceiling-mount projector? I was told (years ago) not to, because the constantly-on display things will burn-in and be permanent.

Any truth to that folks, or have things advance over the years? I ask, because games such as these spoken of here, are definitely interesting. I'd definitely like to try something like these out one day, but don't want to wreck our system that we have here. I can only assume that any of these games on a 109" screen at 15' would be "intense". Especially considering the detail that ya'll have alluded to.

Problems?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Absolute newbie question here, but gaming in general. Can one use a game with a ceiling-mount projector? I was told (years ago) not to, because the constantly-on display things will burn-in and be permanent.

Any truth to that folks, or have things advance over the years? I ask, because games such as these spoken of here, are definitely interesting. I'd definitely like to try something like these out one day, but don't want to wreck our system that we have here. I can only assume that any of these games on a 109" screen at 15' would be "intense". Especially considering the detail that ya'll have alluded to.

Problems? </div></div>

With DLP/LCD projectors, screen burn-in isn't an issue... you do however generally have to change ($$) bulbs every 3-4k hours of use, which can get expensive.

Even with older projectors and plasma units the newest games don't risk burn in. Newer systems even in pause will start a screen saver to minimize risk of burn in.

There are very few static displays anymore, but general rule is plasma and the old school CRT will burn in.

Newer plasmas have to really be abused to burn in but its still technically possible.

At the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot this fall there was a trailer that had a big sign saying "shoot the Call of Duty Guns here". Their line was three times longer than other rental tents.

Very smart on someones part to get most of the Call of Duty guns and market it that way.

I play multiplayer all the time with friends. I think it is a whole lot more fun with a few people in a party.