• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SS 10x, or Falcon 4-14x? Need help quick.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but a search didn't come up with the answers I need to know in the next 2 hours.

I'm looking to get my first scope for my first rifle and I can get either of those. I've read that they are great budget scopes and should do what I need them to.

I'm just wondering if a fixed 10x will still be able to shoot 100yards as well as well as out past 600yards. Are there any big drawbacks for the 10x? I'd like to get the 4-14x, but if the 10x is still usable at shorter distances then that's alright.

Anyone have any photos of a 10x scope at 100yards just so I have an idea?

Thanks,
Coby

Re: SS 10x, or Falcon 4-14x? Need help quick.

Bonus question: My local gun shop has a EGW 15moa base, should I get it or try and find a 20moa?

Thanks

SS10X has known quality and a fairly consistent resale value; Falcon seems to be hit or miss though I have never owned a Falcon myself.

What sort of work @ or under 100 yards?

Need some more info on the rifle/caliber and what exactly you plan on doing with it.

I had a Falcon 5.5 x 25. It was OK. Eye relief was not great. Scope tracked ok. Big and cumbersome knobs.

The SS look ok. Never owned one.

Either one should get you to 600.

I'd go 20 MOA base.

Except for the higher mag I can't think of anything the falcon beats the SS10X at, either standard or HD model. Go with SS.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS10X has known quality and a fairly consistent resale value; Falcon seems to be hit or miss though I have never owned a Falcon myself.

What sort of work @ or under 100 yards?

Need some more info on the rifle/caliber and what exactly you plan on doing with it.
</div></div>

Thanks, I ordered the SS 10x. No shooting really under 100 yards, but probably close to 100.

The rifle is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD in .308. Mainly just a recreational precision shooting rifle. Nothing crazy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x44 FFP is less-expensive ($669) than the SS 10x HD.</div></div>
Yeah I wish I could afford one of those, but my budget was $400 tops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WSM 650 AM Radio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Falcon 5.5 x 25. It was OK. Eye relief was not great. Scope tracked ok. Big and cumbersome knobs.

The SS look ok. Never owned one.

Either one should get you to 600.

I'd go 20 MOA base.

</div></div>

Okay, thanks. Im going to go up to Impact Guns to see if they have any bases that are 20moa, but from what I've seen the only ones in stock and in my price range are 15moa or 0moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of those two the SS10X is the better option. Canted base shouldn't be necesary.</div></div>

Okay, I ordered the SS.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Except for the higher mag I can't think of anything the falcon beats the SS10X at, either standard or HD model. Go with SS.

Flyingbullseye</div></div>

Glad to hear I made the right decision, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I ordered the SS 10x.</div></div>

So you're talking about the older one with mixed-units? Mil-based reticle and MOA knobs?

Not the 10x HD?

Yeah, not the HD. Is there anything wrong with the older version you speak of?

Clamber,

There is nothing wrong with the non-HD.

For what it is, it is fine and much better than other options in the same price range.

When you get the money and feel comfortable jumping up a level, it will make your experience much more enjoyable with a same/same set-up. Until then, be happy with the SS10X and if you aren't- throw it up for sale and watch it be gone in no more than a few days.

The MIL/MIL feature of the Falcon is VERY valuable, I dont know if I would go as far as saying it outweighs the quality of the SS. But something to think about.

There should be nothing wrong with the 15 moa mount, 20 is kinda the standard, but from the shooting scenario you describe, I think 15 moa will be plenty. Just out of curiosity, who has one locally?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clamber,

For what it is, it is fine and much better than other options in the same price range.

When you get the money and feel comfortable jumping up a level, it will make your experience much more enjoyable with a same/same set-up. Until then, be happy with the SS10X and if you aren't- throw it up for sale and watch it be gone in no more than a few days.

</div></div>

Awesome, that's reassuring, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MIL/MIL feature of the Falcon is VERY valuable, I dont know if I would go as far as saying it outweighs the quality of the SS. But something to think about.

There should be nothing wrong with the 15 moa mount, 20 is kinda the standard, but from the shooting scenario you describe, I think 15 moa will be plenty. Just out of curiosity, who has one locally?</div></div>

Impact Guns up in Ogden has a EGW 15moa base, but it's $40 so I don't know how good it is. I might look for another brand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Impact Guns up in Ogden has a EGW 15moa base, but it's $40 so I don't know how good it is. I might look for another brand.

</div></div>

I have a 20 MOA EGW base that has been modified to 40 MOA and it holds a 2 lb + Razor to repeatable zero, consistently. I'm not easy on my equipment and the scope has a couple marks in the paint where it got hit pretty hard.

I think it's a fine base.

John

I would avoid mixed-units like the plague. There is simply no good reason for this configuration.

Midway recently had a Bushnell 10x mil/mil for $299 & Weaver SFP 3-10x mil/mil for $399 (pretend it's a fixed 10x).

I have Falcon 5-25x50mm & 5-25x56mm. SS 3-9HD and 10x HD. IOR 3-18 SH, and Premier 5-25x.

My brother-in-law has the Falcon 4-14x.

Plus a whole box-o-scopes from before I knew anything about mils and dialing elevation / holding wind.

I'm sold on FFP & same / same reticle & knobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clamber,

For what it is, it is fine and much better than other options in the same price range. </div></div>

I have the 3-9x HD & 10x HD and they are very nice. I haven't used the older version but everyone seems to agree the quality is very good and they provide a lot of bang for the buck.

I just don't think there is any excuse for mixed-units. That's a deal-breaker.

yes, but apparently those are above his price range. He could sell the SS10X non HD for 250 if he doesn't bash it around and save his money in the mean time to upgrade to one of those.

It basically turns into renting the thing for pennies on the dollar and he gets to play now and pay more later without much loss.

I understand your point and agree, but, not everyone can afford the options you mentioned right away. Scope now with high resale value later...or wait another 2 or more months without shooting his rifle? hmm, not a hard choice.

mil/moa is a PITA, but you still made the right choice going with the SS, of for no other reason than the tracking. The experience that I had with the SS scopes was that they are right on. I could twist the knob all day long (and I did) and it returned to my 100 yard zero. I've never owned a FM scope, but that's because of all of the people talking about how great they are and just shrugging off the fact that the scope was ONLY off by a couple of clicks when returning to zero.

SS10X has good resale as well. I've bought 2 at 300 and 250 used and sold them for 275 and 220 (the 220 one I beat the SHIT out of). And yes they both held zero/tracked just fine.

Assuming you ordered the scope through SWFA, I'd consider contacting them and going for the SS 3-9X for 0-600 yard shooting. Be realistic: first rifle and wanting to shoot out to long distances. Get a rock-solid FFP mil/mil variable and shoot it until you outgrow it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS 3-9X <snip> Get a rock-solid FFP mil/mil variable and shoot it until you outgrow it. </div></div>

Shooting clay pigeons @ 300yds with the SS 3-9x I didn't feel I was giving up anything to the Falcon 4-14x.

For ~$540 the SS 3-9x is pretty sweet.

Well now you guys got me worried. The scope is already in transit.

Is there something wrong with mil/moa other than the time it takes? I'll still be able to learn proper shooting techniques with it, right?

This SS wont be my last scope. I just cant afford anything else at the moment. I'm a poor 19 year old saving up for college.

If I still didn't have a bunch of stuff to buy, then I could probably get the 3-9x, but I still need to order some of the basic necessities.

So I guess the bottom line is, will this standard SS 10x scope allow me to be able to shoot accurately and learn the basic techniques?

The SS will be a great beginner scope. I have one and will put another on my next rifle. Don't be worried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SS will be a great beginner scope. I have one and will put another on my next rifle. Don't be worried. </div></div>

Yeah, don't worry about all the dickflipping you didn't do wrong buying a SS10X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well now you guys got me worried. The scope is already in transit.

Is there something wrong with mil/moa other than the time it takes? I'll still be able to learn proper shooting techniques with it, right?

This SS wont be my last scope. I just cant afford anything else at the moment. I'm a poor 19 year old saving up for college.

If I still didn't have a bunch of stuff to buy, then I could probably get the 3-9x, but I still need to order some of the basic necessities.

So I guess the bottom line is, will this standard SS 10x scope allow me to be able to shoot accurately and learn the basic techniques?
</div></div>

Nothing wrong with a mil/moa scope, you just have to do extra math to adjust for shots. If you have a ballistic app on your phone/PDA then there won't be any problem at all.
Matching reticle/turret will eliminate that extra step which take a few seconds at most, it won't make you a better or worse shooter by any means.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you just have to do extra math to adjust for shots.</div></div>

The last thing I want to do once the timer starts is extra math...

I used to own '68 Harley XLCH Sportster. Neat bike, but the brake & shifter were reversed from anything post-1970 when they were standardized. I used to ride a lot of different bikes as a kid and it was "annoying" to say the least trying to remember where the brake was on the particular one I was riding at the time.

Mixed units is wrong. Yes, you can start with mixed knobs. Then "unlearn" later when you start over.

Or you could just start out right from the beginning.

Alright, so it's just more of an inconvenience thing. I got it with 1 day shipping since I'll be out of town, so it should be here tomorrow if this massive snowstorm doesn't delay the plane.

Then on probably Friday I'll get a base and rings and then be able to zero it. I haven't zeroed a rifle other than a .22 before, so this should be fun.

Oh and about a ballistic app, I have an iPod Touch, are there any good ballistic programs that you guys would recommend?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you just have to do extra math to adjust for shots.</div></div>

The last thing I want to do once the timer starts is extra math...

I used to own '68 Harley XLCH Sportster. Neat bike, but the brake & shifter were reversed from anything post-1970 when they were standardized. I used to ride a lot of different bikes as a kid and it was "annoying" to say the least trying to remember where the brake was on the particular one I was riding at the time.

Mixed units is wrong. Yes, you can start with mixed knobs. Then "unlearn" later when you start over.

Or you could just start out right from the beginning. </div></div>

I agree with you completely. If you don't have time to spare (LEO, sniper, competition shooter,...) then there's no excuse for mismatch. But he is just learning, doesn't hurt. He can upgrade to a NF or USO down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well now you guys got me worried. The scope is already in transit.

</div></div>

Dont worry buddy, lots of people have been using and continue to use the mil/moa setup, thats how I started and once you master it you'll be that much better when you do step up to a mil/mil or moa/moa. I will guarantee you that once you do, you'll never go back. If you need a hand, or a spotter/wingman, PM me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two popular app are
FTE Ballistic: http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/
and BulletFlight: http://www.knightarmco.com/bulletflight/
</div></div>

Thanks. I'll have to get one to use sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well now you guys got me worried. The scope is already in transit.

</div></div>

Dont worry buddy, lots of people have been using and continue to use the mil/moa setup, thats how I started and once you master it you'll be that much better when you do step up to a mil/mil or moa/moa. I will guarantee you that once you do, you'll never go back. If you need a hand, or a spotter/wingman, PM me.</div></div>

Haha, thanks. I appreciate that reassurance!

Just down the street
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bonus question: My local gun shop has a EGW 15moa base, should I get it or try and find a 20moa?

Thanks</div></div>

You'll never know the difference.

I got it today and it seems pretty nice. I've never had a scope like this though so I'm curious how everything works. I see the turrets are removable, so I'm assuming that once it's zeroed, then you take the turrets off and re-align them at 0?