• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Supersonic rounds through suppressed rifle, hearing safe? Do you wear ear pro?

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
I am curious as to whether or not a suppressed rifle in the 26" barrel length range shooting supersonic ammo is hearing safe? Specifically your typical 308/260/6.5s/300s/and even 338s. I have heard and read that it is not hearing safe and ear pro should be worn due to the supersonic crack. I am unfortunately not around suppressors and do not have any access to try them out and see for myself. Please direct me to threads if this has been covered already. Thanks for your input.
Dan

I and my shooting buddy both shoot 26 27" barrel creedmoors suppressed. Hearing protection is optional. I personally am not bothered by it.

Depends if your asking OSHA or your audiologist.

140db is the line where OSHA says no longer hearing safe for the workplace, for an impact noise source and hearing protection is required. There are also formulas where you can input the level of sound, the number of exposure events etc... to determine as an employer/employee if its safe without hearing protection or not for sound levels < 140.

The trouble with moderately loud noise is a single event, or even 10's of events may have no lasting effect, but 100's or 1000's over years all add up, and eventually do damage to your hearing. I can say with certainty repeated exposure to 130db+ suppressed fire is damaging your hearing.

When you will care depends on how much other loud stuff you are, or have been exposed to and how much hearing loss you can tolerate before it impacts your quality of life.

There is no repair for hearing loss. Protect what you got.

If I shoot more than a few I wear ear plugs. I have shot a box of 50 without ear protection with only minor discomfort. I just prefer the extra protection.

Through a .22 you get a pop about 2' in front of your barrel. 5,56 is freaking loud but ok with an M4k just not exactly quiet. Gas guns are far louder to the user than anything else.

For suppressed supers I always use earplugs, my plugs are custom molded for clay sports so they work well for moderate levels. As has been stated, use protection for supers as the "crack" from the shock wave is still present. Suppressed subs should be safe for no hearing protection.

Always when I'm in my truck since it is stocked with them. Not to say I haven't shot 22-338lm suppressed, when going in someone elses vehicle and forgetting to grab them. Was surprised as hell how acceptable the 29" 338lm was the through a TBAC 338BA shooting in the woods.

If I shoot more than a few I wear ear plugs. I have shot a box of 50 without ear protection with only minor discomfort. I just prefer the extra protection.

If you get minor discomfort, you have already caused some damage.

A quick and easy way to test for threshold shift is, when you arrive at the range, set your radio to as low of a volume that you can hear. When you get done, see how much you have to turn it up to hear it.

Any threshold shift is telling you there is some damage. While most of this will be a temporary shift (in a few hours or the next day you will be back where you started), a number of such events over time will lead to permanent hearing loss.

I dont use earpro with subs or supers. Nice to carry comfortable conversation before, during, and after shots. No ear discomfort at all though for me.

W/full power loads my 22" .308 comes in at 127-128db (1.5x10" mono-core can)and I wear cheap disposable ear plugs if in the woods. At the range I still wear my muffs which are rated at a 33db reduction.

I always wear hearing protection unless I'm hunting (single shot)

Regardless of quality/type of suppressor a supersonic crack is not hearing safe. It may not do immediate damage but repetitive exposure definitely will.

Last edited: