• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA 12x42 or 16x42 for .223 varminter?

Brettdec

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2010
Hello all,

Looking for comparison between the glass on these 2 budget SWFA scopes. This is for a Contender carbine I have had for years wearing a Leupold 4.5-14x40 with mil dot. The 14x works great for my purposes and I like the size and weight, but want to go with milrad adjustments.

I would just order the 16x if I hadn't read here that the glass is not as good as the 10x and 12X. One post mentioned that the 12X is better at reading mailbox and plate numbers at distance. Has anyone else had the same experience?

What really puzzles me is the fact that the 16x is slightly smaller and lighter. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance!

I run a 10x on my .223 I would do a 10x or 12x max. They all weigh the same and built on the same platform. I don't know why they would say that. But I sold a MK 4 to run an SWFA 3-15. Would never go back.

I'd go 12X (or 10X).

The MRAD reticle is fairly fine, and doesn't subtend much, making it very usable at 12X for ground squirrels, prairie dogs, etc.

I've got two of the 12X MRAD, mounted on LR rigs (308/30-06)

My older 16X mildot/moa is getting lonely sitting on the shelf.

I've run multiple 10x, 12x, and 16x SS's and currently own the first two. The 12x works best in my opinion.

Last edited:
I run a 10x on my .223 I would do a 10x or 12x max. They all weigh the same and built on the same platform. I don't know why they would say that. But I sold a MK 4 to run an SWFA 3-15. Would never go back.

Bender, how is the glass on the 3-15 vs. the fixed power scope?

Bender, how is the glass on the 3-15 vs. the fixed power scope?

Both at 10x they are about the same clarity and brightness. With the 3-15 maxed out the fixed 10x is brighter. I would do either 10x or 12x. Lota scope for the money.

Thanks for the advice! Pretty easy to see that a 12x is the way to go.

Now I'm waiting in line for mine to be built... They're backordered at SWFA and none available used!

Ya. It took two weeks when I was in line. Pretty fast for a backorder scope. Worth the wait. Promise.

Now I'm waiting in line for mine to be built... They're backordered at SWFA and none available used!

Damn..

First I've heard of one of their fixed power models not being in stock...

Good to know too, as I was getting ready to get a 12x for the .22, and move the 10x to another rifle.

Last edited:
The 2 rifles I use for prairie dogs have a fixed 10X40mm scope and a 4.5-22X42 scope. I much prefer the variable power over the fixed. Eventually, the fixed 10X will be replaced with a zoom scope. I would recommend a variable with an upper magnification in the 14-25 range. I use binoculars for glassing the towns and don't get behind a scope until I see dogs.