• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA-SS Tax Day Group Buy: 1-6, 5-20, and more!

Mine was ordered seconds after the combo went live and it arrived Monday. First impressions are positive. It's heavier than I expected, but the glass, adjustments (clicks) and reticule is better than I imagined. It really needs a cattail though....any suggestions?

^ well they say a SS 1-4 cat tail will work. But I'm with you, it definately needs one.

On the heavy side for sure. I knew was going to be since that is what they describe on SWFA SS 1-6x page, 22.4 oz.
By comparison the Vortex 1-6x24 Gen II is like 3 oz. or so heavier.
It's not surprising given they are 30mm tubes and the turrets mechanisms on the SS I think are such that they necessarily require that heft. Throw in the caps and the illumination & battery, in this case 2 if you like a spare, but you get the point.

I don't know why the vortex competitor is so heavy, though. Must be built with some stout quality parts.

Last edited:
Got my 1-6 and the turret caps. It appears there is a thread protecter installed on the optic. Anyone have a method to remove it that doesn't involve some kind of pliers?

ETA: yes the 1-4 cattail works fine, I installed it last night.

Last edited:
Ordered 190686, haven't heard anything. Build it was going to go on never happened so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. Will decide when it gets in.

190677 here. We must have just missed the last batch....Darn it! That's ok, what another week? Super excited...

RE the thread protector rings...There is a tiny groove cut into the edge of the ring 180 degress apart. I was able to catch my fingernail on one and spin it...

Received my 1-6x today. Order #190651 placed on 5/21/2012 9:13 PM. I actually rec'd the 5-20x50 about 1 week after the order. Now the Bobro 30mm slightly fwd mount is back ordered. I guess I'll have to wait just a bit longer to get the 1-6x mounted...

It seems to be in stock at this place

http://www.sportoptics.com/bobro-en...neItemId=8a9b2eb2-5b1d-46fe-b3d2-5607211002bb

$20 more but if you want it now.........

Thanks for the tip. I spoke with CS at SWFA re: another item and they mentioned that there is an SWFA co-branded model of the Bobro...same Bobro mount just has the SWFA logo on one side and it was in-stock/available (link below). Same price, so I got that one instead.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx

RE the thread protector rings...There is a tiny groove cut into the edge of the ring 180 degress apart. I was able to catch my fingernail on one and spin it...

I tried to get those rings off using a nail in the TINY groove, but they were screwed on too tight. I knew I'd gall it whether I stuck a dental pick in there, or used pliers, so I wrapped the ring in tape, and used parallel-jaw pliers. Unfortunately, I had to apply enough torque that I galled the rings up anyway.

Oh well, the turret caps are on now, and the galled rings will have to be disclosed if I sell it - which I highly doubt I ever will.

The only concern I have is that the turret came off, since gripping the ring with enough force to unscrew it ended up applying enough clamping force to cause the turret to unscrew from the tube. I'm a bit concerned that the water resistance has been compromised, but I was able to screw the turret back on pretty tightly, so I think it'll be OK. It would have been nice for SWFA to include a spanner tool designed to remove the protective rings - or specify that the factory put the rings on finger-tight only. I mean, they're only there to protect the threads.

I ordered the SWFA version as well. It wasn't at all clear from their website if the "regular" Bobro mount they're selling has the screws on top or on the bottom. They're using an older picture.

I was told that all the new Bobro mounts (either SWFA branded or not) now have the screws on the top so any new order will have the new style. Haven't received mine yet, as it is being held to ship with the 1-6, so we will see. I was promised that they were on top though...

I was told that all the new Bobro mounts (either SWFA branded or not) now have the screws on the top so any new order will have the new style. Haven't received mine yet, as it is being held to ship with the 1-6, so we will see. I was promised that they were on top though...

Customer service said the same thing when I spoke with them, that all the new Bobros will have the screws on the top. He said the SWFA/Bobro cobranded mount did in fact have this updated config with the screws on top, so that was another good reason for me to go with the co-branded one in lieu of the Bobro one being out of stock. I got the ship notice and it is supposed to arrive this Thurs. Will know for sure then.

How far have you guys had to unscrew the eyepiece to get the focus right on the 1-6x? I've got mine adjusted to where it looks in focus, but its unscrewed enough that there are some exposed threads in front of the locking ring. Not really a big deal, but I wanted to see if this was typical.

I had no luck trying this. But thanks, at least I know I was going down the right path.

I had no luck trying this. But thanks, at least I know I was going down the right path.

Mine was too tight for finger nails so I have a teensy weensy jewelers screw driver, flat head, & I carefully set the driver head in the ring slot. I slowly with steady control applied counter clockwise pressure against the slot and she came free pretty easy. No damage from driver & it's all good.

I'm starting to feel like I'm at a large party table in a restaurant and everyone ELSE received their food 10 minutes ago.

I'm starting to feel like I'm at a large party table in a restaurant and everyone ELSE received their food 10 minutes ago.

The chef is overworked, under paid, the government is on his ass & his wife is cheating on him. He's still working on that soufflé, though, and it is delicious, I'm here to tell ya'!!

Mine was too tight for finger nails so I have a teensy weensy jewelers screw driver, flat head, & I carefully set the driver head in the ring slot. I slowly with steady control applied counter clockwise pressure against the slot and she came free pretty easy. No damage from driver & it's all good.

Interesting...mine came with the turret covers installed and the rings in a separate little plastic bag (in the scope box).

so if i had to pick up a new mount, which is the one to go with? the LT-104 or the Bobro? Or something else? Looking for best bang for my buck, really - just needs to be solid & functional. Otherwise, its going in a Burris PEPR, which I'd probably also be ok with.

I just ordered a new scope from SWFA. From the looks of the order #'s posted here, I'll be planing a high school graduation for my 10 year old son before I get it. lol!

so if i had to pick up a new mount, which is the one to go with? the LT-104 or the Bobro? Or something else? Looking for best bang for my buck, really - just needs to be solid & functional. Otherwise, its going in a Burris PEPR, which I'd probably also be ok with.

The bobro is king as far as I'm concerned. The newer fixed fixed my only beef with it by putting the screws up top.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The BOBRO is a better mount that will return to zero better than the LaRue. I had a LaRue SPR-15 QD for a USO sn3 and it was fine. The BOBRO is just better that's all. So far with the SS1-6 mounted in BOBRO I have removed it a couple of times at range to slap on my SS 12x that is mounted in a Burris PEPR. The Burris I thought was decent because I never removed it until I got the SS 1-6. Since I have been switching both scopes since I got 1-6 I now know that the Burris is junk compared to BOBRO QD. The PEPR won't return to zero & I have to adjust windage knob of 12x re-zero.

There is another mount, GDI, that is supposed to be the best but its cost is $535 if you can find one. So too me BOBRO is best for AR flat top. There are others, American Defense and, and umm, whatever....

But too, it also might depend on how far you think you are going to shoot with your new 1-6. Obviously the mount that will return your scope to zero more accuracy would be a better choice if you going to shoot for distance. Of course the farther you shoot the more important it is to have an true RTZ (return to zero) mount. Since 1-6 isn't a choice for LR shooting (why I have a 12x which could now use RTZ mount) the LaRue will be good enough. LaRue used to be the best but not anymore. But I would probably be happy with the LaRue for my 12x too.

Edit; but yeah, I thought I liked the P.E.P.R. before. Now I call it the P.O.S.

Last edited:
Done. Will get the wife on along with as many as possible. ;)

SDINFANTRY, if you are talking about "liking" SWFA on Facebook in order to get the coupon codes going you are kinda late. The promo is over since last June or July. It's just that we are now finally receiving our orders for the SS HD 1-6x. You will have to pay full price now.

Thought I'd share my build now that it's all together.

9KerBnhl.jpg

XLnpBWQl.jpg

NPLLsZvl.jpg

paDCfYnl.jpg

NoFail, yeah I realized that once I liked the page and saw the numbers lol. Thanks. Will be placing an order anyhow.

The BOBRO is a better mount that will return to zero better than the LaRue. I had a LaRue SPR-15 QD for a USO sn3 and it was fine. The BOBRO is just better that's all. So far with the SS1-6 mounted in BOBRO I have removed it a couple of times at range to slap on my SS 12x that is mounted in a Burris PEPR. The Burris I thought was decent because I never removed it until I got the SS 1-6. Since I have been switching both scopes since I got 1-6 I now know that the Burris is junk compared to BOBRO QD. The PEPR won't return to zero & I have to adjust windage knob of 12x re-zero.

There is another mount, GDI, that is supposed to be the best but its cost is $535 if you can find one. So too me BOBRO is best for AR flat top. There are others, American Defense and, and umm, whatever....

But too, it also might depend on how far you think you are going to shoot with your new 1-6. Obviously the mount that will return your scope to zero more accuracy would be a better choice if you going to shoot for distance. Of course the farther you shoot the more important it is to have an true RTZ (return to zero) mount. Since 1-6 isn't a choice for LR shooting (why I have a 12x which could now use RTZ mount) the LaRue will be good enough. LaRue used to be the best but not anymore. But I would probably be happy with the LaRue for my 12x too.

Edit; but yeah, I thought I liked the P.E.P.R. before. Now I call it the P.O.S.

I have no intention of removing the scope, so I don't even really need a QD mount.

Last edited:
Nothing for me yet - Order Date: 5/21/2012 - Order Number: 190689

Looks like 190677 is the farthest one. Only another week or two for mine, I hope. lol.

I ordered off the original 1-6 FB coupon and have not heard anything yet. Can't do anything about so might as well relax. I'm sure all will come in good time.

Order #190656 made on 5/21 at 9:14pm and I have not heard a word from them. I tried to call them back in December to give them an updated Credit card number and they would not even take the time to update my info. They told me they would call me at a later date to get a new cc number. I guess I'll give them a call on Monday.

If anyone finally gets their SWFA SS HD 1-6 and wants to sell it please let me know.

GAP