• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tacticool .22 Build **pic heavy**

S1erra1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2011
Nth Qld Australia
Hey all, New to the Hide so I thought I'd introduce myself with my latest creation, a custom stock built around a JW15A Norinco

Started with the Norinco A, cos it's cheap & B, it's basically a copy of a 452 so I should be able to upgrade the internals at a later date.
Here it is 5 mins after getting it home
grin.gif

P1040355.jpg

and with the raw materials

P1040356.jpg

First off I took the round bar next door as my lathe isn't big enough and bored it out to fit the reciever

P1040358.jpg

It steps down towards the front over the barrel as I needed enough meat to thread the end for the quad rail

P1040360.jpg

P1040359.jpg

Re: Tacticool .22 Build **pic heavy**

Next I cut a slot in the bottom of the tube so it would fit around the trigger and magazine housing

P1040363.jpg

then I cut the ejection port, I've no idea why it needs to be this big but I matched it up with the original dimensions anyway

P1040365.jpg

Cut the L shape for the bolt handle next, it's a pretty snug fit

P1040367.jpg

P1040370.jpg

P1040369.jpg

After that I couldn't go any further till the trigger was shortened, couldn't cut and re-weld it as the old boy took his welder home and I wasn't real keen on making a whole new trigger so I came up with the idea of making a simple trigger shoe

P1040391.jpg

P1040392.jpg

cut out for the grip

P1040393.jpg

P1040394.jpg

and trigger guard

P1040395.jpg

P1040396.jpg

Slot for the trigger

P1040397.jpg

trial fit of top and bottom

P1040398.jpg

drilling hole for the stock adapter
(dodgy way of doing it I know
blush.gif
)

P1040403.jpg

next was a wieght saving cut out around the mag

P1040405.jpg

full trial fit

P1040407.jpg

P1040408.jpg

stock adapter was next, adjustable for LOP

P1040411.jpg

my little brother having a shoulder

P1040416.jpg

P1040417.jpg

scope is just a cheap tasco knock off sitting there for the pic's

P1040415.jpg

Appologise for the split up post, my piece of sh!t laptop keeps freezing
mad.gif

Tried my hand at Cerakote next

All parts were sand blasted first

P1040427.jpg

P1040428.jpg

P1040429.jpg

then coated with Graphite Black and MicroSlick on the bolt

P1040434.jpg

P1040435.jpg

P1040436.jpg

Here's where it's at for now, I'm still waiting for the rails to turn up so I can mount the optics

P1040440.jpg

P1040439.jpg

P1040438.jpg

P1040437.jpg

Wow that looks awesome! Great fabrication skills. How does it shoot so far ?

I'd like to see some groups!!

A buddy of mine saw one of these norinco at a gun show last month and has been kicking himself for not picking it up to use kayak squirrel hunting.

Accuracy was the only concern, other than that he said the fit and finish of the rifle was very nice!

Holy Crap! That's a hell of a way to make an introduction. Outstanding job and welcome.

Very nice! I was ready for the old "I cut the airsoft..." thread! Pleasantly surprised!!

Nice work!

ha, I like the end result. Good work. May have cost more in time labor than buying a similiar, but way way more satisfaying to do yourself eh.

What she weigh?

Looks good tho,
Regards,
DT

Thanks all,

I haven't bothered to weigh it yet but it's not too bad, I'll see if I can find some scales

As for groups, I haven't fired a single shot yet as I'm still waiting for the rails to turn up so I can mount optics but I'll keep you posted.

That is really cool! Like others said, quite an introduction haha. Very impressed though, is this your first gun build??

Thanks again, this was my first attempt at something like this.
I bought a mini lathe and mill about a year ago and just had a play, started with simple bits like bolt knobs and muzzle brakes and moved on from there.
I'm becoming more and more addicted to this machining bis and I'm allready looking at upgrading

I can't see them either... Says photobucket bandwith exceeded!?! With such positive feedback I really want to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss334OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't see them either... Says photobucket bandwith exceeded!?! With such positive feedback I really want to see it. </div></div>

Likewise. No pics!

Sorry guy's apparently you have to pay for photobucket now.

I'll try and sort it out

i hope one doesn't have to pay for photobucket, i'll never post another pic again!

excellent job, like a "slip cover" for your rifle, i love it.

i was thinking of doing similiar to my mkii over the winter as a project, however i don't have such lovely tools as you, again, that's an excellent job.

i bet you can sell a hundred of them, if you are ever so inclined to sell them.

(i just got into photobucket, didn't need to pay, could it be an austrailan thing?)

Solid work! Your passion for firearms is well represented.

k9g

Thanks again all,

TP, photobucket is still free mate until you exceed your band width apparently, I'd say it's cos there are a few people checking out the pic's, not too big a deal it cost $3 for the month.

I am thinking of doing something like this as a kit to be sold for the MKII and 452, it may be a while tho.

if you make them, they will sell. and in masses.

if you could manage to do them for a low price (say 200.00 or under USD) even if the quad rail is omitted, you'll be busy as a bee.

put me on the list either way for a MKII version.

Too ezy mate,

I doubt I'll be able to produce em that cheap tho, not without a cnc setup anyway.

I'm hopeing when I get the bigger machines it'll cut down the time and therefore the $$$

I'd love a good cnc setup but the difference between a good manual mill and a good cnc mill is about 15grand so that won't be happening anytime soon.

this is very cool i would like to do something like this.

joe

Thanks again all,

The rails turned up an hour ago so fingers crossed I'll mount the scope tonight and get a range report up tomorrow

You've got some real talent. Thanks for sharing.

The old JW-15 is a pretty good place to start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eclipse57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The old JW-15 is a pretty good place to start. </div></div>

Yeah mate, I think so

Righto, got the scope fitted (el cheapo eBay job) and got a couple of quick shots in yesterday.

shooting at an old bit of ply @ 50mtrs from the prone but idiot me forgot my rear bag so most groups were over an inch
smirk.gif

did get a couple of good ones tho, here's the best 5 shot group

P1040470.jpg

the first three shots went into the same hole but it went down hill for the last couple

pic's of the range

P1040469.jpg

P1040465.jpg

Damn good looking rig. Nicely done!

WOW!!! I am so envious of people that have Mills and lathes. In particular, those of you that "Oh, I just have this spare metal around and I'll. . . . . make a cool gun out of it!"

In all seriousness, a very nice set-up, great photos with which to follow your progress. (applause!)

Thanks for sharing!!!

-G45

Thanks fellas, pretty happy with how it turned out.

Just waiting for my MKII to turn up now and we can start all over again

Man I bought almost exactly the same thing and made a a5 style stock from scratch only using hand tools. I thought I was hot stuff until 5 min ago. Now I've got my tail between my legs. Great job with the china special. I am very impressed.

Wow, nice work. As a machinist, I appreciate your work. Is it legal? Is it because you used the reciever from the other gun is what made it OK?

Thanks fellas,

Pygmycoho1, have you got any pic's mate? I'd love to see em, I find working with metal fairly easy but my skills are up to shit when it comes to timber.

longguntoter, Yes mate it's all 100% legal, It's basically just a tube gun style stock, Allthough I'm sure the boys in blue will be looking twice when I get my next safe inspection
smile.gif