• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Go Go's movie....

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So a non-sequitur for here on SH... but for those of us who grew up in the late '70s and early '80s... The GoGo's were a sort of punk, pop, fun, great music staple. In the early days of SNL, their appearance was one of the really great shows.

Last year, started to hear about a movie about their history. And it came out... about the week Covid started. So totally screwed the movies' theater appearance in most places.

It's on cable now, though. And is a really great 'rockumentary' about a band that was simply fun... in a fun and simpler time. And Belinda Carlisle is one of the greatest talents as a singer and a musician in the latter part of the 20th century.

Totally worth watching if you are a boomer.... Or an X-er. Or simply like good, rocking, punkin' 80's music! Along with Sweet Home Alabama, Burnin' Down the House, Rock Lobster, Green Grass and High Tides Forever and Pinball Wizard... part of the soundtrack of my teen years. Love it!

Awesome!

Sirhr

Dont forget the fact that Belinda Carlisle was (is?) Very, very hot. Very. Hot.
I was a teenager at that time, too :)
Thanks for the recommendation!
Jordan

Reactions: Tallahassee
Charlotte was a hot one.... still is!

1597192143102.png

Too bad she was a massive heroin addict...

Sirhr

I'll have to check that out....I caught some old video of them at a hotel after a show and they had the fellas lined up for inspection.....several made the cut for further "T&E".

Lot of good documentaries and such out about musicians and bands it seems. The Motley Crue one, and the Queen/Freddy Mercury one was interesting. The Rocketman one fell short for me after the first two. Will have to check this one out.

I'll have to check that out....I caught some old video of them at a hotel after a show and they had the fellas lined up for inspection.....several made the cut for further "T&E".

from a few articles i read about them, they were just as bad as the male bands when it came to "roadies"

I saw them open for the Police in 1981? I will check out the movie for sure.
That was a big part of the movie. While they were opening for The Police, their album passed The Police on the charts... first all female band to do a no 1 album and write the songs, etc.

Sting apparently bought them Champagne and was very classy about it!

Sirhr

Banannaramma was another late 80s all female group that rocked.
Heart during their Magic Man/Barracuda era showed women could rock as hard as men.
OMG, the Bangles. Amazing group. When I was in Egypt one of my bucket list items was to 'Walk like an Egyptian' with a matching Hieroglyphic in the background. Almost got it...
Mh3XwlR.jpg

The headless guy to the left on the pillar was what I was trying to copy...

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
For the Bangles lovers... their live "Return to Bangleonia" show 20 years ago (???) has great renditions of their old favorites and some new cuts (well, they were new in 2000). Someone gave me the DVD for Christmas. I was rather disappointed in the recording quality. But even a Youtube posting sounds ok with headphones. Here's the best (at the moment) Youtube full concert (well, most of it). For a great version of "Manic Monday," start at 17:25, use headphones, and crank it up.

It was a great film. Knowing about the LA punk scene, it makes sense that they were a part of it. But being in high school at the time, those girls were just part of the 80s alt/ new wave pop scene for me.

To the poster above, music aside and almost a decade later but gotta agree that Susanna Hoffs > Beinda. I’d walk like an Egyptian any day.