• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns The great .45 bullets

BBURCH

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
South Caroilna
I am just now starting to load for my XD 45, I have been looking for a good bullet to run for conceal carry and just to shoot.
I am leaning to the Speer 185 Gold Dot HP.

Thoughts......

Re: The great .45 bullets

Here we go...

Here on the 'hide, we've had arguments in the past regarding whether it's OK to CC handloaded ammo.

Regardless of that

I think we can all agree that someone "just now starting to load" should not be CCing their handloaded ammo.

I think a pretty good solution is to call your local LEOs and ask them what ammo they use. If they don't use 45, just pick something.

Personally, in my 45, I carry the Hornady 200gr XTP +P @ 1055fps.

just CC the same brand and type of ammo your local PD does, you can also duplicate carry loads for practice but it is better to CC factory ammo.
hope this helps, now do whatever you want.

turbo54 I have been hand loading for awhile just not for a .45. I hand load everything thing that I shoot so I think I know what Im doing there. I was just trying to find out what these guys load for a 45.

I like the XTP for accuracy, the Gold Dot for carry. It just opens better, more reliably. Softer bullet. XTP can sometimes close up instead, then it works like an FMJ.

I carry Gold Dots in 10mm, all handloads. If I didn't shoot handloads, I probably wouldn't shoot at all.

I was just looking at some double tap 185 gr bonded loads that are showing 1200 fps and 612 ft lbs out of a 5". I plan on using these in my Springfield xds

Send me a PM if you want to buy bulk reloading bullets and I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

For the .45ACP, I remain a fan of 230gr bullets moving at around 875-900 fps. This is also consistent with the recommendations of DocGKR (Dr. Gary Roberts):

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Note that this velocity is straightforward to obtain using published loads and a 5" barrel, but shorter barrels (particularly those 4" and under) will likely require +P or equivalent overpressure loads to get the velocity that is required for proper expansion.

If you want to do a lighter, faster bullet, then you may want to look at the Barnes XPB copper 185gr projectile, as this is the only sub-230gr bullet to make DocGKR's list. That being said, it appears that the manufacturer no longer offers this component as a retail product.

We're all adults here and can make our own decisions as to what to carry for defensive purposes, so I'm not preaching but simply offering a fact when I state that I carry only factory ammo for defensive purposes. Winchester Ranger T 230gr +P works in a variety of barrel lengths, so it's what I use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mftGL4VY8QQ

This guy has quite a few gel tests. He does a good job of being consistent from ammo to ammo, caliber to caliber. It's at least a good comparison.

I agree that the Gold Dot looks great. I'd say just don't buy the cheap hollowpoints, as they actually don't always expand.

And I hope you will find a good practice load AND a good carry load. I agree to practice with the carry load, but practice LOTS with a practice load. I like 200g swc or 200 rnfp with bullseye (old Major power factor load in IPSC). My xdm stacks either load and runs w/o issues.