• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Just listed my very lightly used 300-WM Barrel Conversion Kit for sale in the Post Exchange. Hoping one of you guys wants it so I don't have to sell it on GunBroker. Let me know if you have trouble finding it. Should be easy to spot ...

1645489848329.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 308Nomad
Gunbroker take your time don't be in a hurry i was outbid on one by a dollar it went for 5201 new the next one i bid 5250 in 300wm got it for 5200 new

They are around. You just have to be Johnny on the spot. Bought this 6.5 Creedmoor MRAD from Midway, of all places, last September. Not SMR. Wasn’t thrilled with the available caliber, but it is what I shoot the most of. Bought a 300NM barrel from EuroOptic immediately after.

Maybe you can help me. Today I received a .338 Lapua MRAD barrel direct from Barrett. I haven't fired it yet. I scoped the barrel and found these rust colored streaks from the muzzle back about 9 inches. I went through 5 cleaning cycles with a mild solvent and the patches came out clean. The substance remains. Do you think it's rust? It looks the same as it did prior to cleaning.

Attachments

• Photo_20220302190349.jpg
    Photo_20220302190349.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 100
Maybe you can help me. Today I received a .338 Lapua MRAD barrel direct from Barrett. I haven't fired it yet. I scoped the barrel and found these rust colored streaks from the muzzle back about 9 inches. I went through 5 cleaning cycles with a mild solvent and the patches came out clean. The substance remains. Do you think it's rust? It looks the same as it did prior to cleaning.
I would contact Barrett

Shoot it! I doubt it’s rust. They come in those vacuum sealed bags. Kinda looks like copper. Shoot it, if it doesn’t shoot we’ll give Barrett a call.

So I might have missed it but what is the difference between the Gen 1 lower and Gen 2?
Also does anyone know where you can buy just the MRAD bolt head?

The lower? Nothing that I know of. Gen 2 upper is upgraded to Mlok. Bolt heads are headspaced and matched to each barrel kit. Check with Barrett if you have an issue.
Gen2 upper also has the lever in the bolt to easily swap bolt heads. But you can buy that direct from Barrett as many of us here did for the Gen1.

View attachment 7761551

Company in Germany makes this for an AR frame... fits the MRAD. It's spendy. Probably delicate and probably wildly impractical. But I love Palm-rest grips and have on a couple of other rifles. And they are amazing with a bag. I think this is going to be my Christmas Present to myself... Meh... $300 is like an afternoon on the range. What the heck. Wood on a black rifle always looks classy!

That full-length/partial tripod rail posted above also looks like a worthy accessory.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Need to do a bit of Woodworking Saturday to get it on the MRAD trigger guard. But it will fit.

06843EA5-2E6B-4932-B231-80079C9C7FEE.jpeg

Those Germans sure know how to make some nice stuff!!! Pix Sat when I get it all fitted!

Sirhr

The lower? Nothing that I know of. Gen 2 upper is upgraded to Mlok. Bolt heads are headspaced and matched to each barrel kit. Check with Barrett if you have an issue.
Rep I talked to said that gen 2 is mlok and that these were recently built factory guns and the only difference between the and current production is the serial # prefix. Current production have EJ prefix, the hybrid has a CJ prefix.

So, I might of missed this in the 36 pages.
Can the MRAD bolt design take the same pressure, say as a Defiance, Surgeon, etc? (top bolt manufactures)
Looking to add a 33XC or 37XC and was wondering if the MRAD would still be a top choice.
Thanks

Can the MRAD bolt design take the same pressure, say as a Defiance, Surgeon, etc? (top bolt manufactures)
Looking to add a 33XC or 37XC and was wondering if the MRAD would still be a top choice.
Thanks
The longest cartridge the MRAD will handle is 338 CIP. It’s a unitized design. There is no way to make it longer, without major re-engineering. 33XC and 37XC are XL cartridges. Think Cheytac length.

The longest cartridge the MRAD will handle is 338 CIP. It’s a unitized design. There is no way to make it longer, without major re-engineering. 33XC and 37XC are XL cartridges. Think Cheytac length.
so a person wouldn't be able to single feed a 33xc into an MRAD?

so a person wouldn't be able to single feed a 33xc into an MRAD?
TBH, that question is well outside my wheelhouse. Perhaps measure the loading/ejection port? It’s my understanding that the 33XC is a really long cartridge. Barrett has custom barrel extensions available now. One of the reasons I finally bought a MRAD. Although it took 4 months to get them.
So could you make a 33XC barrel? Probably. Would it work? Who knows. Not an engineer.

Reactions: babyguppy
Thanks
Yea, you can do it. You have to single feed though. Working on it right now myself. Bartlein 32inch 37xc mod BB left hand, gain twist 1/11 to 1/10. I have a ton of sierra .375's from when I played with a cheyatc improved- recoil was not pleasant with 144 grains of powder.

Edited to add- there is a good thread somewhere on the net where Ryan Pierce has a lot of experience with 33xc for hunting but by 300 rounds said he was losing .25 inch of rifling every 100rounds or something to that effect. I have a barrel and another extension in 338 and was planning on doing a 33xc also but i think i might stick with lapua for that for the longer barrel life.

Last edited:
Thanks
Bugholes is spinning me up a 33XC 30" Bartlein ModBB when the Maker's kit arrives in mid-March. In response to the barrel burner post above, folks just can't help themselves when it comes to wringing out every last bit of velocity out of their barrel. I plan on NOT running right to the ragged edge on velocity when developing the load.

As a side note, I called Barrett and asked them about running my AM338 can with an extra 400-500 fps over 338LM. Their response was "no problem". The 275gr Badlands solids I have planned should run about 20-30% higher ft-lbs than the 338LM so not much of an extra burden on the platform. I also have (200) 285gr Warner Flatlines to play with.

Not sure I would be comfortable with the 37 or 41XC in the Barrett. There is a 2-inch portion of the maker's kit machining that is 1.1". That puts the chamber wall for the .585 bolt face at 0.2575". I read somewhere it should be minimum of 0.30". I am headed to Texas in mid-April for 2 days of one-on-one ELR training with Chase Stroud. Depending on how that goes, I would like to do a dedicated 41xc build using a 1.35" barrel and corresponding action.

Reactions: stitch222
TBH, that question is well outside my wheelhouse. Perhaps measure the loading/ejection port? It’s my understanding that the 33XC is a really long cartridge. Barrett has custom barrel extensions available now. One of the reasons I finally bought a MRAD. Although it took 4 months to get them.
So could you make a 33XC barrel? Probably. Would it work? Who knows. Not an engineer.
33xc is about a half-inch longer than 338LM case. You can single feed all day long. I've read you have to break the action and remove the bolt to eject an unfired round but I will find out for sure soon.

Finally after weeks of pulling parts together, my MRAD is ready to go!

.338 (working on getting a .300 NM barrel done). USO SN-9 scope... external adjustable. LRA bipod. And a Karl Nill Grip from Germany. It's actually an AR-15 grip and required some minor inletting/fitting. But only took about an hour and it's beautiful! I have some pictures in the Metalworking and Woodworking for Guns thread showing the fitting if anyone wants to use the PSG-1 style grip. It is dead nuts comfortable!

Now if spring would just get here! Meh, not long now!

mrad grip 8.jpg

mrad grip 9.jpg

mrad grip 9a.jpg

mrad grip 7.jpg

Fireforming rounds all loaded up... some top notch solid bullets ready to load after that! Did I mention... winter sucks?

Well, off to my next project while I wait for a chance to really wring this one out!

Some great rifles on this thread!

Sirhr

After a year or two of using these rifles, what's the consensus about shooting short action (training) rounds from them?

Its it enjoyable or is your MRAD best left setup magnum /ELR full time and train on other guns?

Cheers

.338 (working on getting a .300 NM barrel done). USO SN-9 scope... external adjustable. LRA bipod. And a Karl Nill Grip from Germany. It's actually an AR-15 grip and required some minor inletting/fitting. But only took about an hour and it's beautiful! I have some pictures in the Metalworking and Woodworking for Guns thread showing the fitting if anyone wants to use the PSG-1 style grip. It is dead nuts comfortable!

View attachment 7821149

View attachment 7821150

View attachment 7821151

View attachment 7821148

Fireforming rounds all loaded up... some top notch solid bullets ready to load after that! Did I mention... winter sucks?

Well, off to my next project while I wait for a chance to really wring this one out!

Sirhr
you up for making another one in the near future?:D

No need! Anyone capable of shooting an MRAD is capable of fitting one of the grips to their MRAD. Seriously... it's that simple!

Sirhr
oops, I didn't realize it was an AR15 grip.. I thought you had to do some wood working to get it on there. (y)
I just pulled the PDF
MRAD PDF

oops, I didn't realize it was an AR15 grip.. I thought you had to do some wood working to get it on there. (y)
I just pulled the PDF
MRAD PDF

Post 177. Shows the process. It's an AR-15 grip, but the MRAD is slightly different in the trigger guard. So very slight woodworking and it fits like a glove!

My big challenge now.... who makes a soft case that can take a wide bipod! The LRA cradle bipod is amazing. But when any of these cradles fold, they leave a wide footprint. The only thing I can think of, short of a big pelican case, is to convert a Stinger case. I have a couple floating around. And think I could reconfigure the interior not just to carry the rifle but mags, ammo, spotting scope, etc. This doesn't even come close to fitting in the original pelican case with the bipod... and not even close in a drag-type bag.

What do you guys with wide-hinge/cradle bipods do for cases?

mrad grip 9b.jpg

Or does everyone just take the bipod off? Or are tripods the only thing anyone uses nowadays? ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

So I've been dealing with health issues, etc., and haven't made any firearm related purchases in about a year, saving up for home repairs and have a few sticks I haven't even fired yet, but finally got my MRAD/Mk22 setup handled. Still haven't been able to take it out to shoot, haven't been shooting in over a year now! Longest I've ever gone in like 40 years. As close to a Mk22 as you can get. Barret is currently still filling military orders so yeah, they're not easy to come by in any form.

This isn't work that LRI did though. I can't say much more, sworn to secrecy. Bottom line is it's best not to send these rifles off for "custom" work. I wish I could say more. Like a Glock, best to keep it stock. More than one version so best to do your homework before buying one. They look the same on the outside but barrels aren't compatible with older uppers for one (without a factory modification that requires complete removal of the retaining bolts).

Of course I had to put the NV shit on it just for cool guy points. Suppressor is an Elite Iron Sierra SD.

Mk22 24in. .338LM with Elite Iron .338 Sierra suppressor and wrap, 5-25x ATACR with Tremor 3 r...JPG

View attachment 7821149

View attachment 7821150

View attachment 7821151

View attachment 7821148

Sirhr

Of course you'd have the SN9... Man I used to want one of those! Basically an observation scope with external adj. for wind/elevation. Always wanted to see a closeup of the Apollo 11 footprints on the moon but I only have a 5-25x on mine!

Seriously though, looking back it would have been nice to have gotten the 7-35x instead. I'll be happy just to be able to take it out at this point though.

So I've been dealing with health issues, etc., and haven't made any firearm related purchases in about a year, saving up for home repairs and have a few sticks I haven't even fired yet, but finally got my MRAD/Mk22 setup handled. Still haven't been able to take it out to shoot, haven't been shooting in over a year now! Longest I've ever gone in like 40 years. As close to a Mk22 as you can get. Barret is currently still filling military orders so yeah, they're not easy to come by in any form.

This isn't work that LRI did though. I can't say much more, sworn to secrecy. Bottom line is it's best not to send these rifles off for "custom" work. I wish I could say more. Like a Glock, best to keep it stock. More than one version so best to do your homework before buying one. They look the same on the outside but barrels aren't compatible with older uppers for one (without a factory modification that requires complete removal of the retaining bolts).

Of course I had to put the NV shit on it just for cool guy points. Suppressor is an Elite Iron Sierra SD.

View attachment 7822616

Of course you'd have the SN9... Man I used to want one of those! Basically an observation scope with external adj. for wind/elevation. Always wanted to see a closeup of the Apollo 11 footprints on the moon but I only have a 5-25x on mine!

Seriously though, looking back it would have been nice to have gotten the 7-35x instead. I'll be happy just to be able to take it out at this point though.
hubble.jpg

The SN-9 was a great score with thanks to a friend here on SH... We both scored! Rifle AND SN-9 for $999. I paid for both, he kept the rifle, I got the scope. We laughed all the way from the pawn shop to the bank!

Mine is a 30x... and one of 3 made. JBWIII has one. I have one. The other is... somewhere.

Thanks, man! Cool MRAD up there!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Needs a PSG-1 wood grip ;-) Ah ha hahhaa.... gorgeous rifle!

Is this the 338 version? Please share some video if possible.
It is. I am out of town for two weeks but will snag some video next time I am at the range. Will be in Texas for ELR class with my 33XC MRAD Barrel (if it arrives in time) Easter weekend so I will for sure get some video then.

Reactions: m1ajunkie
I originally made the post below in the 300PRC update thread but wanted to share here as well to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

I've run into an issue with my Barrett MRAD 300 PRC barrel that has me scratching my head. I'm using ADG cases that have 5 or 6 firings on them, previous firings went through through a RPR that never gave an issue. Loaded these cases up and ran them through my MRAD once, no problem, then reloaded them as I've always done and now every case is getting stuck in the chamber. Very difficult to pull the bolt even on relatively mild loads.

I ran 10 virgin cases through the rifle today with zero issue, so it's clearly a reloading/ die issue.....

Through research here on the forum I've narrowed it down to my chamber is tight and my hornady bushing die isn't sizing the case web small enough and the case is sticking in the chamber making it hard to pull the bolt back.

Here are the measurements at the case web (.2" up from the base) I'm getting for reference:

Virgin ADG case- .5265"
Fired case- .5305-.531
Resized in my hornady die- .5295-.530"

Is this something I should contact Barrett about? Do they make "small base" dies for 300PRC? Reaming my chamber is apparently an option but is that normal?

My loads for reference:

230 atip- 77.7gr H1000- 2850 FPS
250 atip- 75.9 H1000- 2750 FPS

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I originally made the post below in the 300PRC update thread but wanted to share here as well to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

I've run into an issue with my Barrett MRAD 300 PRC barrel that has me scratching my head. I'm using ADG cases that have 5 or 6 firings on them, previous firings went through through a RPR that never gave an issue. Loaded these cases up and ran them through my MRAD once, no problem, then reloaded them as I've always done and now every case is getting stuck in the chamber. Very difficult to pull the bolt even on relatively mild loads.

I ran 10 virgin cases through the rifle today with zero issue, so it's clearly a reloading/ die issue.....

Through research here on the forum I've narrowed it down to my chamber is tight and my hornady bushing die isn't sizing the case web small enough and the case is sticking in the chamber making it hard to pull the bolt back.

Here are the measurements at the case web (.2" up from the base) I'm getting for reference:

Virgin ADG case- .5265"
Fired case- .5305-.531
Resized in my hornady die- .5295-.530"

Is this something I should contact Barrett about? Do they make "small base" dies for 300PRC? Reaming my chamber is apparently an option but is that normal?

My loads for reference:

230 atip- 77.7gr H1000- 2850 FPS
250 atip- 75.9 H1000- 2750 FPS

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
How much you trimming the brass? I don't see that mentioned.

How much you trimming the brass? I don't see that mentioned.

Trimming to a length of 2.570".

I've got myself a redding die on the way and arranged a trade for some lapua brass. Hoping to be able to give those items a try this weekend and see if they make a difference.

Thinking of swapping my .338LM barrel for a 6.5CM barrel..... any one have a lead on a 6.5CM barrel in stock?

Have any of you guys on here owned/used both the MRAD and an AI such as an AX or AXSR/AXMC? Looking for some insight. I’m wondering if I should ditch my AT 6.5 for one of these MRADS, but have never even handled one. They shoot factory ammo well enough? I’ll be at the mercy of factory match for awhile, unfortunately. I’m looking at 308/6.5creed/300PRC mainly, and 6creed if that’s possible for one of these. Just wondering if I should save the coin and get an MRAD, or take the AX/AXSR plunge?

Have any of you guys on here owned/used both the MRAD and an AI such as an AX or AXSR/AXMC? Looking for some insight. I’m wondering if I should ditch my AT 6.5 for one of these MRADS, but have never even handled one. They shoot factory ammo well enough? I’ll be at the mercy of factory match for awhile, unfortunately. I’m looking at 308/6.5creed/300PRC mainly, and 6creed if that’s possible for one of these. Just wondering if I should save the coin and get an MRAD, or take the AX/AXSR plunge?
I was debating the same thing. I love the AI but after handling a MRAD and going through costs etc. I ended up with an MRAD and I love it!

Both are accurate rifles. The only down side to the mrad is the barrel extension if you wanted a custom barrel chambered. Its about $400, or a factory barrel is $1500. With the AI you can get barrels straight from eurooptic or mile high or any other smith that has the print for around $800. That's about the major difference when it come down to these two systems. I have an mrad, always wanted an AI but just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Very happy with my MRAD.

Reactions: HD1911