• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision The Official: Steiner C35 Thermal Clip-on Review and User Thread!

Isn't a standard cr123a 3.0 volts?
That's correct
If I'm reading that correctly you should ensure that you put it in electronics with a voltage regulator of some sort in the architecture
What we "should" do and what we "actually" do due to our own curiosity doesn't always add up. Most units have a range of voltages they will work with, I remember years ago everyone saying you should not use Energizer Lithium AA batteries in expensive camera gear, as a working pro I needed the extended length and so decided to risk it and none of that equipment ever failed using the higher voltage lithium AA's. I'm not saying there's a risk, but sometimes the benefit may be worth the risk, that is something you have to decide.
Rechargeable always scare me unless a manufacturer says they were made to work with them because the voltages seem higher and sporadic when coming off different chargers.
So I always "ASSUME" they have built in a voltage control if they referenced rechargeable batts
They used to scare me, but having used so many with all kinds of different devices with no noticeable adverse side effects I am not so concerned anymore. Maybe some of the cheaper "off brand" batteries which I tend to stay away from anyway may have more of an issue.

Who's running a mountable battery pack on their rifle for one of these?
I have one, just haven’t ran it yet.

I also went to the local smoke shop and bought two extra batteries and a quick charger. Spent maybe 45 bucks on two batteries and a dual charger

Reactions: Huskydriver
I feel similar, that is a crazy high number for mah... we've seen this before with other batteries and those with the equipment have shown they are usually grossly inflated and do not perform as hoped.

These batteries have served me well for several years and last a long time in my flashlights, plus they can be charged with micro usb which most of us have laying around
This is the non-USB version, but there have been times where I brought my light but forgot my charger so prefer the above USB version

These are fantastic for devices that use CR123A and can handle 3.6v

And these are fantastic for replacing AA batteries, excellent for high drain devices
You need flat top batteries, not button top. None of those will work.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I've been thinking about buying one of the $2700 S35s from down range thermal (https://www.downrangethermal.com/product/steiner-s35/) but the pricing makes me kinda wary, is there a catch with these? Early production or something?

I would like to hear on this. Should have a s35 arrive today and ordered some 9900mah batteries. Is this a bad thing?
I am very interested in hearing more about first hand experiences with the s35.
Researching thermals is what led me to this site, and dang what a wealth of information. Talk about drinking through a firehose.
Anyhow, the internet seems a little quiet on this particular product.....or maybe my google skills suck.
Guidance appreciated.

Crikey! I do remember reading about that, why would Steiner do that to us :D Oh well, disregard all my 18650 info o_O :p
Yeah, that's too bad. I already scoured the Fenix site for flat top batteries with the micro usb charging port (or even without) but no luck.

I am very interested in hearing more about first hand experiences with the s35.
Researching thermals is what led me to this site, and dang what a wealth of information. Talk about drinking through a firehose.
Anyhow, the internet seems a little quiet on this particular product.....or maybe my google skills suck.
Guidance appreciated.
The S35 is great but it has some major drawbacks. The mount does not cantilever enough rearward to work well on a bolt gun. An optional $150 mount will fix that. The battery housing is so big that if you use an action with a 90° bolt throw, your bolt handle will hit the thermal (depending on rail height). I wish the menu buttons were more like the Burris thermal with just a wheel and button. It would make it much easier to navigate menus.

If you are putting it on and AR, it is an excellent thermal.

Reactions: carbonbased
Local smoke shops carry the batteries and chargers by the boxful

The S35 is great but it has some major drawbacks. The mount does not cantilever enough rearward to work well on a bolt gun. An optional $150 mount will fix that. The battery housing is so big that if you use an action with a 90° bolt throw, your bolt handle will hit the thermal (depending on rail height). I wish the menu buttons were more like the Burris thermal with just a wheel and button. It would make it much easier to navigate menus.

Thanks for this. I am considering the Burris BTS-50 and Pulsar Talion XQ38 this reason.

Don’t see a lot of talk about the XQ38, but it’s not Chinese-made and it has in-board video recording, both unlike the Burris.

But I really don’t know crap about thermal. Seems hard to know who to trust.

Thanks for this. I am considering the Burris BTS-50 and Pulsar Talion XQ38 this reason.

Don’t see a lot of talk about the XQ38, but it’s not Chinese-made and it has in-board video recording, both unlike the Burris.

But I really don’t know crap about thermal. Seems hard to know who to trust.
I have the BTS 50 on a bolt gun. It would also benefit from the optional rear cantilever mount, but I made mine work with the factory mount. At the price burris is getting rid of them for, they are easily the best for the money.
I see onboard recording the same way I see an illuminated reticle. It's cool if it's there but It's not going to sway my decision. Other people absolutely have to have it.
What neat feature of the Burris that doesn't get talked about is the single 18650 battery can go in either way. It isn't polarity sensitive so swapping batteries in the dark is simple.

What neat feature of the Burris that doesn't get talked about is the single 18650 battery can go in either way. It isn't polarity sensitive so swapping batteries in the dark is simple.
That is brilliant, thank you Steiner and that might be why they chose to go with this particular battery style knowing this unit would be used a lot in the dark of night. Does the C35 already come with a plug for external battery or do you have to get an adapter?

That is brilliant, thank you Steiner and that might be why they chose to go with this particular battery style knowing this unit would be used a lot in the dark of night. Does the C35 already come with a plug for external battery or do you have to get an adapter?
It comes with cable for external pack. Can’t remember battery specs off top of my head, if someone doesn’t post before I get out to the shop, I’ll add it

Just to clarify, I was talking about the Burris thermal. Haven't tried it with the Steiner but it's not in the literature.
Nice. Can anyone confirm what mah comes with the Steiner from factory, 3400mah seems high for factory provided. Panasonic makes good Li-ion but how to know if this is real Panasonic or counterfeit?
That is the battery that comes with the unit.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the Burris thermal. Haven't tried it with the Steiner but it's not in the literature.
Since they are sister companies one would hope they share some tech, but could be wrong. Can anyone verify if the battery works both ways in the Steiner C35?
That is the battery that comes with the unit.
A 3400mah unit from the factory, I'm impressed, Steiner did their work on this, and to see these units selling right now for what DRT and SOK have them for, well that's what pushed me off the fence.

Both thermals are made by GuideIR So the same tech is definitely available. You're giving Steiner too much credit though. That battery comes with it if you buy with a GuideIR label.

If you go look at GuideIR website, I'm willing to bet the new thermals they introduced will be what Burris replaces the current BTS/BTC with.

Reactions: carbonbased

Thanks, useful info.

I attached a copy of the manual below. It does say to insert with proper polarity at the bottom of page 18.

...only one way to find out if they really meant it though. 🤣

Attachments

• nighthunter_c35_manual.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
  • Haha
Reactions: XP1K
These are the batteries that I bought.
They are the same as what came with my C35.
Free shipping on 50 bucks.

These are the batteries that I bought.
They are the same as what came with my C35.
Free shipping on 50 bucks.
Shit, that’s cheaper than the Imren versions I bought.

Is there any way to tighten the rail clamp mount for the C35? I can feel a slight amount of play when I install it on my handguard pic rail.
There are 4 screws on the bottom of the mount. You will have to wiggle the locking bar some to get full access to one side. Take them out and put some loctite on them when you reassemble

Reactions: twin_57_hound
There are 4 screws on the bottom of the mount. You will have to wiggle the locking bar some to get full access to one side. Take them out and put some loctite on them when you reassemble
Ah, sorry I meant to tighten the clamp mount to the pic rail. I see the four screws under the C35 that the clamp mount installs into the C35 but I don't think this is where the play I feel from the C35 installed on my rail. When I install the c35 on another handguard pic rail it has no play at all.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Ah, sorry I meant to tighten the clamp mount to the pic rail. I see the four screws under the C35 that the clamp mount installs into the C35 but I don't think this is where the play I feel from the C35 installed on my rail. When I install the c35 on another handguard pic rail it has no play at all.
Sorry, I haven’t had that issue with mine yet. I’d have to dig it out and look

Reactions: twin_57_hound

Call Steiner, they will send you a new clamp/mount. Had one to me the next day.

Also, Make sure the two big bolts that hold the clamp plate and space together are tight. If not. It will cause lateral movement. They were loose on both mounts from the factory. So remove the mount with the 4 screws. Flip it over and tighten the two larger ones.

If the mount slides back and forth on the pic rail between the slots, Steiner will get you squared away. If your pic rails are on the small side then they didn't leave much room for extra clamping force. Replacement is the only fix. They have extra clamps and will get you one out same day. Customer service was awesome.

Also, Make sure the two big bolts that hold the clamp plate and space together are tight. If not. It will cause lateral movement. They were loose on both mounts from the factory. So remove the mount with the 4 screws. Flip it over and tighten the two larger ones.

If the mount slides back and forth on the pic rail between the slots, Steiner will get you squared away. If your pic rails are on the small side then they didn't leave much room for extra clamping force. Replacement is the only fix. They have extra clamps and will get you one out same day. Customer service was awesome.
Sounds good!
I'll take a look at the mount by uninstalling it and checking over all the screws, and worse comes to worst I'll contact Steiner.
Thanks!

EDIT: What torque values should the screws be?

Last edited:
Reactions: MOUNTIC
Pardon me if this has been asked. Is this unit capable of giving you live video feed of what your seeing via cord to a screen say can the supplied cord plug into a tv and supply live feed. I understand there is apps ect but I do not want any type of delay real time data.

Thank you

Any of you gotten the steiner app to work on various Android based devices?

And when I stream the S35 over to an ipad it has no reticle at all... vs some videos online showing it only had a white reticle...

The S35 does also have a very ... "jumpy" visual effect when zooming in. It appears to be maintaining the point of aim within a couple pixels but it does look very disturbing when zoom is going up

Speaking of zoom... this only scrolling up/down by 0.1 at a time was a bad idea to my taste. It's too slow. This is basically going to be used with standard view and the PiP function for zoom. Would also be nice if you could adjust the zoom level for the PiP

Also speaking of zoom... there is some interesting scaling adjustments for zero at different magnifications that just don't make much sense to me yet... perhaps I need to read the manual a bit more thoroughly now, but certainly not the most intuitive experience

Dedicated scopes have their benefits over clip on units in some cases but steiner did a better job here making a clipon than making a scope... the software needs some refinement to get the scope up to being a better experience I think

That leads to the question does steiner have the ability built in to make major software updates to these without sending them in...

Think I'll be posting the S35 for sale or trade and see if I can get another C35 before our vendors here stop their discount.

Pardon me if this has been asked. Is this unit capable of giving you live video feed of what your seeing via cord to a screen say can the supplied cord plug into a tv and supply live feed. I understand there is apps ect but I do not want any type of delay real time data.

Thank you
So far I haven’t seen any noticeable delay using the app. I have ran my battery dead twice using mostly the app just to play with it while it was mounted on my tripod. I was scanning the fields around my house. It seems to keep up pretty good.

As for a cable to attach directly to a viewing device, there is a cable with a micro usb plug included. I understood it was for an external battery pack, but it might be capable of video as well. I run an iPhone so can’t plug it into my phone.

Reactions: COTTON_00
Any of you gotten the steiner app to work on various Android based devices?

And when I stream the S35 over to an ipad it has no reticle at all... vs some videos online showing it only had a white reticle...

The S35 does also have a very ... "jumpy" visual effect when zooming in. It appears to be maintaining the point of aim within a couple pixels but it does look very disturbing when zoom is going up

Speaking of zoom... this only scrolling up/down by 0.1 at a time was a bad idea to my taste. It's too slow. This is basically going to be used with standard view and the PiP function for zoom. Would also be nice if you could adjust the zoom level for the PiP

Also speaking of zoom... there is some interesting scaling adjustments for zero at different magnifications that just don't make much sense to me yet... perhaps I need to read the manual a bit more thoroughly now, but certainly not the most intuitive experience

Dedicated scopes have their benefits over clip on units in some cases but steiner did a better job here making a clipon than making a scope... the software needs some refinement to get the scope up to being a better experience I think

That leads to the question does steiner have the ability built in to make major software updates to these without sending them in...

Think I'll be posting the S35 for sale or trade and see if I can get another C35 before our vendors here stop their discount.
I don't know shxt from shinola about any of this stuff, but I did find one comment on opticsplanet that talked about the zero issue:

Wont hold zero, but that is "intended"

by anthony, Verified Owner from IL, United States Written on August 16, 2022

So instruction book came with the zeroing procedure not filled out. Figured I'd guess at it. Had issue. Reached out to Steiner.

Support ticket with steiner in regards to it not holding zero.

"Steiner Optics Support on 8/16/2022 7:50 AM MST

Hello Anthony,

The profile only saves your zero at the zoom power you saved it at. If you need a different a zero you will need to save it in another profile. Sight in at the zoom you want to use. Changing the Zoom changes your point of impact."

Returning now.

Would recommend: No
7 of 11 found the following review helpful.

I don't know shxt from shinola about any of this stuff, but I did find one comment on opticsplanet that talked about the zero issue:

Wont hold zero, but that is "intended"

by anthony, Verified Owner from IL, United States Written on August 16, 2022

So instruction book came with the zeroing procedure not filled out. Figured I'd guess at it. Had issue. Reached out to Steiner.

Support ticket with steiner in regards to it not holding zero.

"Steiner Optics Support on 8/16/2022 7:50 AM MST

Hello Anthony,

The profile only saves your zero at the zoom power you saved it at. If you need a different a zero you will need to save it in another profile. Sight in at the zoom you want to use. Changing the Zoom changes your point of impact."

Returning now.

Would recommend: No
7 of 11 found the following review helpful.
Yea I call BS on this one from what I saw

It's very disturbing to the eye how much the screen jumps around during zoom but with the scope sitting steadily it appears to stay within a couple pixels of zero based on where you stop.
Imagine a target makes up two pixels... it's on left pixel at a certain zoom level then as you increase zoom perhaps it falls to the pixels on the right of the item vs the one that was on the left.
What's disturbing is while changing zoom it appears to be bouncing around badly but when you stop adjusting zoom it falls back where it should be. I think it's an optical illusion more than an actual issue but I know people won't enjoy looking at it

Perhaps I'll get the unit back out the box and try to show what I am saying tonight

My S35 and a buddy's S35 will hold zero when you zoom in. When zooming, it looks like the reticle is jumping though.

Any idea what the useful life expectancy is on these (or any of the current thermals, actually) and how long factory support will be available on
this generation of Steiners (h,c, and s)?

My S35 and a buddy's S35 will hold zero when you zoom in. When zooming, it looks like the reticle is jumping though.
^ is the same thing I was trying to say earlier
It looks really jerky / jumpy when adjusting zoom but it seems to put the cross where it's supposed to be whenever you let off the adjustment

Now did you guys happen to play with the other zero adjustments at each zoom level? Cuz I never tested anything on that

Any idea what the useful life expectancy is on these (or any of the current thermals, actually) and how long factory support will be available on
this generation of Steiners (h,c, and s)?
I think there are too many variables to answer that...

Only thing you know for sure is how long the warranty is

I've owned various units over ten years old, and heard of units over twenty years old
Then some of us break everything and manage to kill things before the warranty even runs out

Steiner could service them for years to come or drop us like It's hot the minute the warranty runs out...

So I did remove the stock C35 mount and re-tighten the screws of the mount, 25 in/lb for the 2 larger screws to the two pieces of the mount and then 15 in/lb for the smaller screws into the body of the C35. I don't know if this is the correct torque amount but I didn't want to over-tighten the screws.
The clamp mount still has side-to-side play on my primary handguard, URX 4, but on other pic rail handguards it seems to be quite sturdy i.e. no play.
I contact Steiner today and they shipped out a new clamp mount to me, hopefully it fixes my issue.
Also if you know what torque values I should use please let me know.

Reactions: stefan73
So far I haven’t seen any noticeable delay using the app. I have ran my battery dead twice using mostly the app just to play with it while it was mounted on my tripod. I was scanning the fields around my house. It seems to keep up pretty good.

As for a cable to attach directly to a viewing device, there is a cable with a micro usb plug included. I understood it was for an external battery pack, but it might be capable of video as well. I run an iPhone so can’t plug it into my phone.
How far away from the device can one get before bad signal. And can the wifi of the device be used in areas of no service ie no cell service I'm assuming you need cell service for the steiner connect app to work?

How far away from the device can one get before bad signal. And can the wifi of the device be used in areas of no service ie no cell service I'm assuming you need cell service for the steiner connect app to work?
I haven’t tested distance yet. Usually it is just me out and I never think to see how far away I can get. I know it connects though wifi, so me being tech retarded I would assume it needs internet? Someone with some more up to date tech knowledge will surely chime in on that though.

Reactions: COTTON_00
I haven’t tested distance yet. Usually it is just me out and I never think to see how far away I can get. I know it connects though wifi, so me being tech retarded I would assume it needs internet? Someone with some more up to date tech knowledge will surely chime in on that though.
It's whats called a "peer to peer" wifi connection, where your phone connects to the thermal directly. It will disconnect your phone from any wifi network you might be connected to.
In some phones, you might have to take action to prevent your phone from automatically disconnecting from the thermal because the phone senses that the wifi connection doesn't connect to the internet.

I don't like the way the app works but it's probably the most reliable way of doing things.

Mine was good to 15-20 yards before video degraded and then connection cut out at about 20 yards. You shouldn’t need cell service. The unit creates a connection via wifi. Cell service is not in use for that