Night Vision The Official: Steiner C35 Thermal Clip-on Review and User Thread!

nrar15

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2003
Indiana
Got mine last week from @DownRangeThermal. Great experience, BTW.
I haven’t mounted it on a rifle yet, but I’ve been able to play with it a bit.
For those who have zeroed theirs, approximately how much does one push of the button move POI at 100 yards?
For those who have zeroed theirs, approximately how much does one push of the button move POI at 100 yards?
Think I seen somewhere that it’s 1moa.

cake5150

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Fort Wayne, Indiana

The manual says ~1 MOA increments, but my experience zeroing it on several platforms says slightly more than that. That said, I created a more refined foil target that allows me to get a slightly more precise zero that tested great this past weekend. I should be able to do more experimentation next weekend.

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    It took a few. When I first received my C35 I found the screws that held the base on to be a little loose. After tightening I finally went and zeroed it. Probably about/around 9 or 10 right and 10 down to get it zeroed.

nrar15

Private
    Minuteman
    May 19, 2003
    Indiana
    Got my C35 today played with it a little. Hope to get out later this week. From what I am seeing it’s going to take me a while t get my settings where I need them. This thing is awesome fr the price.
    My mount was on backwards easy fix. Have never owned a thermal with anything but BH or WH the color pallets are great. I am color blind blue green so lots of times there is no definition to me. This is the first thrermal I have really liked.anyone else have settings that work for you. TIA

roostercogburn98

Crawling America, one mall at a time
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Nov 3, 2010
    My mount was on backwards easy fix. Have never owned a thermal with anything but BH or WH the color pallets are great. I am color blind blue green so lots of times there is no definition to me. This is the first thrermal I have really liked.anyone else have settings that work for you. TIA
    Black hot seems to give me the best detail

Reactions: Concrete shooter

roostercogburn98

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Nov 3, 2010
    I am Red/Green and delve into some blue/yellow (always have to remember light on top is stop).

White hot is my go to.
    White hot is ok for me, just looks off for some reason

m1ajunkie

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 22, 2010
    Kennewick, WA
    Where did we land on getting a throw lever extension made for the focus on these? Has any one actually offered anything for sale yet?

nrar15

Private
    Minuteman
    May 19, 2003
    Indiana
    I am finding that conditions are playing a big role in what pallet I use. What worked in daylight wasn’t good at night. And distance seems to effect it too. I will be doing some more gooning to get the hang of it my PVS 22 and PVS 27 is more to my liking at this point.

roostercogburn98

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Nov 3, 2010
    Force of habit for me from when I first fielded the M2A3 Bradley back in 2000-2003. The color pallet was cool for some things but white hot just worked really well for me.
    M2a3 had a better viewing screen as well.

Reactions: stefan73

monkeypunch

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 29, 2022
    OK
    After reading this thread about 87 times, I ordered a C35 tonight. I really don't need it, as I have a Super Hogster right now, but 640 core at that price point is too tempting. Thanks everyone for sharing all the intel here. DRT, can you make sure it gets to me before my wife gets home from her business trip??? Thank would save me a ton of grief.

wizardpc

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
  • Jul 12, 2019
    After reading this thread about 87 times, I ordered a C35 tonight. I really don't need it, as I have a Super Hogster right now, but 640 core at that price point is too tempting. Thanks everyone for sharing all the intel here. DRT, can you make sure it gets to me before my wife gets home from her business trip??? Thank would save me a ton of grief.
    Me too. I had a thermal clip-on on my list for year-end bonus and decided to just borrow from myself and get it early
    (I did run it by the wife first to avoid that ton of grief :) )

stefan73

Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    Me too. I had a thermal clip-on on my list for year-end bonus and decided to just borrow from myself and get it early
    (I did run it by the wife first to avoid that ton of grief :) )
    First rule of fight club
    shush1.jpg

What mama doesn't know;);)

rbutcher

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Nov 18, 2019
    I’d also be in for a focus throw lever

SCGunner84

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Sep 19, 2018
    Anyone know where to get ocular mounts for the C35? I saw they were using them on YouTube in some of Steiners videos. Thanks.

roostercogburn98

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Nov 3, 2010

SCGunner84

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Sep 19, 2018
    How about has anyone tested it with the krg bravo enclosed forend? Would like to use on my bolt gun instead my ARs?

Glassaholic

Send it!
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    Appreciate the reply but this is something like I was referring to, mounts directly to your scopes objective. https://nightvisionguys.com/adaptor-for-thermal-and-nv-clip-on-attachments-be80958
    At the risk of sounding like a complete noob when it comes to thermal (which I am), it is my understanding that when you have a rail mount thermal clip-on you do not need the thermal ocular to scope objective adapter, that is only needed when your thermal has no base mount. @SkyScrapin correct me if I’m wrong.

srt-4_uk

Private
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Aug 6, 2011
    Nebraska
    At the risk of sounding like a complete noob when it comes to thermal (which I am), it is my understanding that when you have a rail mount thermal clip-on you do not need the thermal ocular to scope objective adapter, that is only needed when your thermal has no base mount. @SkyScrapin correct me if I’m wrong.
    Only if you have a stock that has a bridge. Doesn't really work for typical hunting stocks.

Reactions: Glassaholic

Glassaholic

Send it!
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    Only if you have a stock that has a bridge. Doesn't really work for typical hunting stocks.
    Well that’s a very good point. I know Burris makes those adapters for the sister version of this thermal, has anyone checked to see if those work with Steiner. Also Steiner C35 is a heavy beast, any issues with putting that much weight on the end of the objective and subjecting it to recoil? Not for the thermal but to the host day scope it is mounted to.

Reactions: deersniper

monkeypunch

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 29, 2022
    OK
    Got to play with mine a bit tonight, and compare it to my Super Hogster. These are my only two thermals. I didn't feel like the C35 was any better looking than the 384 core Super Hogster. Maybe my expectations were too high? I figured I would see a big difference between the two. Also, it could just be the nature of a clip on vs dedicated scope. I played with the settings a bit, which helped. I set my contrast at 70% and the brightness at like 40%. I had it in front of a Swampfox Arrowhead 1-6x. I tried it in front of my PST II 5-25x, but it was way too much base magnification. And I don't feel like the Arrowhead has terrible glass. Hopefully I can play more this weekend. The C35 100% needs a focus throw lever!!!

Reactions: roostercogburn98

SCGunner84

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Sep 19, 2018
    Reactions: Doogie

PlinkIt

GunNut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 30, 2014
    Virginia / North Carolina
    For those of you considering the objective mounts...

I'd vote just don't do it given my past experience with objective mounts from other companies & the weight of this thing...
    You also need to to push down on buttons & twist on thermal for focus

Leverage is a powerful force

Maybe your accuracy requirements will allow for the flex though so take this with a grain of salt

SCGunner84

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Sep 19, 2018
    For those of you considering the objective mounts...

I'd vote just don't do it given my past experience with objective mounts from other companies & the weight of this thing...
    You also need to to push down on buttons & twist on thermal for focus

Leverage is a powerful force

Maybe your accuracy requirements will allow for the flex though so take this with a grain of salt
    That is a very good point i haven’t considered. If I were to go this route sounds like a bridge/enclosed forend would be the better way to do for use on my bolt actions. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Reactions: shootingnut

PlinkIt

GunNut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 30, 2014
    Virginia / North Carolina
    ...sounds like a bridge/enclosed forend would be the better way...
    Finding a way to rail mount my previous unit is how I "fixed" my accuracy issues.
    Don't get me wrong maybe Burris/ steiner have figured it all out and know how to beat the issues... but physics just seems to favor this being a loosing proposition

I will also say watch for loose screws on the mount with the C35. I noticed others mention it already so I don't think its an isolated event

m1ajunkie

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 22, 2010
    Kennewick, WA
    I've taken my C35 to the range a couple times now and I've noticed occasionally the image washed out immediately after a shot. This is a problem because I cannot spot my impact when the image washes..... I run a calibration on the optic and the image returns.

Are any of you seeing the same kind of washout? Is this an issue that I need to run by steiner?

Here is a video clip I pulled out of content I'm filming for my review video last night. Target is a 2/3 IPSC at 615 yds. Video is only accessible through this link:

Youtube video

cake5150

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 7, 2014
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I've taken my C35 to the range a couple times now and I've noticed occasionally the image washed out immediately after a shot. This is a problem because I cannot spot my impact when the image washes..... I run a calibration on the optic and the image returns.

Are any of you seeing the same kind of washout? Is this an issue that I need to run by steiner?

Here is a video clip I pulled out of content I'm filming for my review video last night. Target is a 2/3 IPSC at 615 yds. Video is only accessible through this link:

Youtube video
    I've shot with mine on six hosts including a piston gun and a 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun with some pretty rowdy vibration, fortunately no such experience.