• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision The Official: Steiner C35 Thermal Clip-on Review and User Thread!

Thank you sir! I enjoy making the videos..... for sure I'm planning a thermal vs NV long range video. Got to get this washing out situation squared away first, I can't effectively make hits if I can't see impacts in the thermal.

Initial impressions, the steiner works fine for LR shooting. I was making hits on a full size IPSC at 855 yds no problem on 6x-8x magnification. Review video should be published by the end of the week.

M1Ajunkie,

Very nicely shot and edited shooting videos/content on your channel! I am impressed with your consistency on a gas gun. Your hair is different, but did you previously shoot comps on the East coast? Did you shoot a LMT MWS in 6.5CM at one time? I think I shot against you about 10 years ago at Fort Gordon in Augusta. You won that one day match with your LMT as I remember.

TKAB

M1Ajunkie,

Very nicely shot and edited shooting videos/content on your channel! I am impressed with your consistency on a gas gun. Your hair is different, but did you previously shoot comps on the East coast? Did you shoot a LMT MWS in 6.5CM at one time? I think I shot against you about 10 years ago at Fort Gordon in Augusta. You won that one day match with your LMT as I remember.

TKAB

Man you've got a great memory! You got me!

I used to shoot all kinds of matches there in the south east, moved out to WA state about 5 years ago. Less time to shoot matches due to work and now that I've started the youtube thing I almost enjoy that more. Actually just wrapped up my Steiner C35 review video last night so stay tuned.

ETA: I actually still have the MWS in 6.5, love that rifle

This may be a dumb question but is there a time of day that works best to zero the thermal. Like maybe dusk? I heard using a piece of foil will help in the zeroing process.

Steel with chrome paint works just fine anytime dawn / day / dusk / dark

I put a + or a line on my various plates now at different distances and it works great

If someone is willing to get me dimensions I can start offering them. Already off custom throw levers for hide members that are $15/ea.

Gonna have to lean on someone else..... I just shipped my C35 off yesterday so won't have one for a couple weeks.

@srt-4_uk is local, I'm going to try grabbing his and getting what I need.
I got 1.970
685C16C4-4C8C-4C78-88C0-CFC34B74967D.jpeg

Got my review video finished up..... thought those of you in this thread might enjoy a first look at it.

Love the vid... Couple things... The mustache adds 8.5 credibility points...Crazy how much flash that can has and....

My only criticism.....

NF is gross and Horus is gayier than aides for all the other aspiring hortas out there... Just a PSA 🤣

Last edited:
Love the vid... Couple things... The mustwche adds 8.5 credibility points...Crazy how much flash that can has and....

My only criticism.....

NF is gross and Horus is gayier than aides for all the other aspiring hortas out there... Just a PSA 🤣

Hopefully the stache outweighs the NF and Horus negatives haha

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
How much better is the actual image compared with the video?
Hard to quantify..... I feel like the actual image is better but not drastically better. I believe the video is fairly representative of what I was actually seeing while shooting.

Great video thanks. You mention that the reticle was hard to see in some of the thermal palates. Would it have helped to have had an illuminated reticle? Also, does a higher quality scope ($2,000+) really make a difference in your resolution since you are limited by your thermal resolution. My thought is that you could get the same resolution through the thermal using a $1,000 type scope. Also, you used a 4x16 in the video. Would you recommend this power scope or something higher magnification say 4x20? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a C-35 purchase but would like to know what day scope to consider first. Mine will be a bolt gun in AI, Cadex etc.

Great video can wait to get out and play with my C35 some more. Really impressed with it especially for the price. Now I am thinking I should have a S35 also😁.

Reactions: m1ajunkie
Got my review video finished up..... thought those of you in this thread might enjoy a first look at it.

Loved the video and after having mine for a couple months I agree with the assessment. It's a great budget thermal clip on. Biggest downsides to me are only being able to use the lower end magnification range, not having PID capabilities at ranges past 400 or so, and the 1 MOA increments to zero it are a bit large.

Great video thanks. You mention that the reticle was hard to see in some of the thermal palates. Would it have helped to have had an illuminated reticle? Also, does a higher quality scope ($2,000+) really make a difference in your resolution since you are limited by your thermal resolution. My thought is that you could get the same resolution through the thermal using a $1,000 type scope. Also, you used a 4x16 in the video. Would you recommend this power scope or something higher magnification say 4x20? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a C-35 purchase but would like to know what day scope to consider first. Mine will be a bolt gun in AI, Cadex etc.

Yes on the illuminated reticle, whenever I'm using the thermal I have my reticle turned on for sure. I can't quite say for certain if lesser glass would have a difference, but I'd tend to think it doesn't. Since you're limited by the resolution of the thermal screen I don't think the glass quality matters as much. As far as magnification range, past about 10x you can't see anything. So using a scope with power up to 20+ won't hurt you, but if it's an optic dedicated to the thermal then it's really not needed. I would definitely tend towards the lower mag range, I run a 6-36 Razor since that's my normal day optic and it gets annoying not being able to go down to 5x or 4x. Annoying, but also doesn't affect the functionality of it, so I just live with it.

Reactions: Glassaholic

Agree with what @shootingnut said in the post above. An illuminated reticle would be preferred..... I stopped buying illuminated reticles when I swapped to T3 because I don't like how they illuminate so unfortunately I don't have a scope to actually test this. Pretty obvious though illumination would be a benefit.

I'm always going to lean toward a higher quality scope especially when using clip ons. I would like a high quality scope for the daytime advantages primarily. If all you're going to do however is run with thermal maybe you could get by with lower quality.

Regarding mag range, I was only able to really use 8x mag on the top end so anything above that was no benefit. For the C35 I'd want something in the 2-4x range on the bottom side. I tried this on my 7-35 NF and didn't like it because I couldn't see enough of the menu to use. As you can see in the video, 4x on the bottom side works decent.

Thanks to everyone that's taken the time to watch!

For the C35 I'd want something in the 2-4x range on the bottom side. I tried this on my 7-35 NF and didn't like it because I couldn't see enough of the menu to use. As you can see in the video, 4x on the bottom side works decent.
I have ran it on a 1-4 NXS, and a 3.5-21 Bushnell HDMR II. The lower mag is a big help with viewing, and the 3.5 is almost too much for me to begin with on the low end. The illuminated reticle on the NXS is handy as well. I need to change the battery and see if that makes a huge difference or not. I am working on getting a stock inlet for an efr so I can run it on a 2.5-10 mark 4. I think it will shine quite well with that power range.

I ran into 8x being the real useful top end as well. Once you ID your target however, you can zoom in pretty high and still be functional enough to hit. At least that’s how I felt about higher magnification

Reactions: shootingnut
I have ran it on a 1-4 NXS, and a 3.5-21 Bushnell HDMR II. The lower mag is a big help with viewing, and the 3.5 is almost too much for me to begin with on the low end. The illuminated reticle on the NXS is handy as well. I need to change the battery and see if that makes a huge difference or not. I am working on getting a stock inlet for an efr so I can run it on a 2.5-10 mark 4. I think it will shine quite well with that power range.

I ran into 8x being the real useful top end as well. Once you ID your target however, you can zoom in pretty high and still be functional enough to hit. At least that’s how I felt about higher magnification

Agreed 100%..... given I'm primarily target shooting I haven't been thinking so much about target id capabilities but rather the ability to find targets, hold on targets and spot impacts to make corrections as needed.

Reactions: roostercogburn98

That was brilliant, enjoyable to watch. I am seriously looking at this unit (C35) from Strictly Offensive Kit and you helped me understand its capabilities and limits. Seeing you nestle into the dirt made me want to buy you a shooting mat :p Also, I was really nervous that cicada (or grasshopper) was going to get you ;)

dHJlZGlyZWN0cz0w

Seriously though, very well done, gave me all the information I needed and you were clear in communicating the right information, I have subscribed to your channel as I like your gear more than TheHorta's so you're going to be my new sugar daddy :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: m1ajunkie
I have ran it on a 1-4 NXS, and a 3.5-21 Bushnell HDMR II. The lower mag is a big help with viewing, and the 3.5 is almost too much for me to begin with on the low end.
Keep in mind the Bushnell DMR is fairly narrow FOV for 3.5x, I think you'll find other scopes more forgiving in this area that may offer a better experience.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I don't want to read through all the posts in this thread, can anyone tell me what is the ideal height for center of scope (from top of rail) to align with the C35 on a flat rail?

That was brilliant, enjoyable to watch. I am seriously looking at this unit (C35) from Strictly Offensive Kit and you helped me understand its capabilities and limits. Seeing you nestle into the dirt made me want to buy you a shooting mat :p Also, I was really nervous that cicada (or grasshopper) was going to get you ;)

dHJlZGlyZWN0cz0w

Seriously though, very well done, gave me all the information I needed and you were clear in communicating the right information, I have subscribed to your channel as I like your gear more than TheHorta's so you're going to be my new sugar daddy :ROFLMAO:

It's funny how many folks have commented about me not using a shooting mat since starting the channel..... I've tried shooting mats in the past and found they just annoy me so I just roll around in the dirt I guess haha. Thanks for watching!

It's funny how many folks have commented about me not using a shooting mat since starting the channel..... I've tried shooting mats in the past and found they just annoy me so I just roll around in the dirt I guess haha. Thanks for watching!
Some of us were born to roll in the dirt and play in the mud ain't nothin' wrong with that :ROFLMAO: I wonder what my drill sergeant would have said if I asked, "ummm, excuse me drill sergeant, can I get a shooting mat here...", I'm thinking his size 12 would have been up my pooper as he used to say ;)

Same here, I've used a mat but just love being in the dirt more. The way I see it, when I'm out in the back country hunting I ain't gonna be packing a shooting mat with me or even take the time to roll it out before a shot!

1.35" would probably be a March 4.5-28. I think @MOUNTIC is using the same scope, but I'm not sure what his ring height is so I'll let him chime in.
There's a post a while back where a guy tests out a pretty egregious height difference and the image was fine. However, I don't think he ever tested it with actual live fire, so it's hard to say if it would have an effect on dialing your scope for dope or zeroing the image itself.

Myself I'm running about a .1" difference and it works great, but your .15" might be too much. I'd try it out with the shorter rings first and just see how it goes.

Thank you, what is a good wiggle room around this? In other words, is 1.35" too low and 1.75" too high where you start to get shadow ?
Just use a Charlie TARAC (upside-down if you have to) in order to line everything up

more shit in the optical path = huge truck nutz my father always said…beef it up!

Lol j/k

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic
Anybody find a good padded case for these? Something I can attach to a belt or a pack or something? I've got a little 8x5x3 molle-ish pouch I'm using right now but it's a wee bit big and not very protective.

Ordered a C35 from Strictly Offensive Kit on Tuesday, shipped out same day. Got it this afternoon! Does anyone know specifically what model scope adapters will fit the threading on the C35? I saw a mention upthread about the Burris adapters, but they seem to be scarce.

Pretty sure I know the answer, but any reason not to use 9900mah batteries?

3.7v, and should get much longer life.
I would like to hear on this. Should have a s35 arrive today and ordered some 9900mah batteries. Is this a bad thing?

I would like to hear on this. Should have a s35 arrive today and ordered some 9900mah batteries. Is this a bad thing?
When a random chinese supplier on Amazon says they have 3x the energy density for the same price (or significantly cheaper) than a well-known brand, something is up.

I don't know that I would use them in a device that I would hate to lose in a fire/explosion.

When a random chinese supplier on Amazon says they have 3x the energy density for the same price (or significantly cheaper) than a well-known brand, something is up.

I don't know that I would use them in a device that I would hate to lose in a fire/explosion.
I feel similar, that is a crazy high number for mah... we've seen this before with other batteries and those with the equipment have shown they are usually grossly inflated and do not perform as hoped.

EDIT: The below 18650 batteries have the button and will NOT work with the Steiner C35 FYI
These batteries have served me well for several years and last a long time in my flashlights, plus they can be charged with micro usb which most of us have laying around
This is the non-USB version, but there have been times where I brought my light but forgot my charger so prefer the above USB version
EDIT: The above batteries have the button and will NOT work with the Steiner C35 FYI

These are fantastic for devices that use CR123A and can handle 3.6v

And these are fantastic for replacing AA batteries, excellent for high drain devices

Last edited:
These are fantastic for devices that use CR123A and can handle 3.6v
Isn't a standard cr123a 3.0 volts?

If I'm reading that correctly you should ensure that you put it in electronics with a voltage regulator of some sort in the architecture

Rechargeable always scare me unless a manufacturer says they were made to work with them because the voltages seem higher and sporadic when coming off different chargers.
So I always "ASSUME" they have built in a voltage control if they referenced rechargeable batts

I would also agree. I recently went down this rabbit hole and from everything I've seen, the current max capacity for these 18650 batteries is like 3500-3600 mAh, but there are a lot of shady vendors out there claiming ridiculous capacities.

Who's running a mountable battery pack on their rifle for one of these?

Another possibly dumb question: Is there any reason why I can't just sight in with the C35 mounted?

I mounted the scope and bore sighted it. I understand it will probably be off if I remove the C35.

86QePmv.jpg