• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision The Official: Steiner C35 Thermal Clip-on Review and User Thread!

So what’s the preferred optic in front of the C35? Vortex 1-10? From what I’ve read sounds like 8-10 is max usable?

So what’s the preferred optic in front of the C35? Vortex 1-10? From what I’ve read sounds like 8-10 is max usable?

8-10 is no chance.

I'm running an older USO sn3 1.8-10 and rarely get over 4x

I bet that nxs 1-8 would be awesome.

I also just got a March 1-10 shorty and will see how that goes.

Reactions: autorotate19
I have mine in front of a 1-8X ATACR and a 4-16X ATACR.
8X is getting toward the upper limit of mag with the C35.

Has anyone tried this in front of a TA44 or TA33. I really want a set up with a piggyback RMR on 10.5 gun, so I can still us passive aiming with nods with thermal mounted. I have a 4x acog with rear mount RMR, and no matter what I try, my helmet lip or nod mount hits and I can’t get proper sight picture. Thinking I need more eye relief. I like the acogs cause light and short, and can still fit laser on top rail with thermal mounted.

NX8 1-8 is also an option as one of the shortest lpvos , but would have to move CQBL to the side of rail to make room for the c35.

Whats the furthest everyone is shooting with these on coyotes etc…. Im assuming most guys are using holdovers? Im guessing 500 yards would be as far as anyone would wanna shoot at night on animals. Trying to figure out which optic has the most useful reticle for this. Dialing would be great but seems like it would be difficult at night.

Whats the furthest everyone is shooting with these on coyotes etc…. Im assuming most guys are using holdovers? Im guessing 500 yards would be as far as anyone would wanna shoot at night on animals. Trying to figure out which optic has the most useful reticle for this. Dialing would be great but seems like it would be difficult at night.
I’ve only shot a little over 400 on coyotes with it. I know someone above said no chance from 8-10. But I’ve had good luck with 10x at 400-430 yards. Using holdovers.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Dreaming sometimes ain't a bad thing.

Dream it and maybe it will happen. :)

I would think that a some point Steiner would bring out a Gen 2 C35 version if they are gonna stay in the Thermal Game.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Dreaming sometimes ain't a bad thing.

Dream it and maybe it will happen. :)

I would think that a some point Steiner would bring out a Gen 2 C35 version if they are gonna stay in the Thermal Game.
Thermal tech seems to be improving at a rapid pace, almost feels like every 6 months there is some new core or tech or something. Steiner just released these just over a year ago didn't they? But I agree, companies who want to play in this game need to upgrade fast - still waiting for a company to come out with a replaceable core, but I suppose all electronics and software need to be upgraded with a new core so probably doesn't make much sense. Like with DSLR and Mirrorless digital cameras, if you can wait about 2 years you can get some awesome gear at about half the price.

@SkyScrapin let me know when that ClipIR-ELR drops to $2500 :ROFLMAO:

For those that sent their C35's in for more tension on the mounting lever, is there any indication on what they did to tighten it up?

For those that sent their C35's in for more tension on the mounting lever, is there any indication on what they did to tighten it up?
I didn't need to send in my C35 or send in the mount disassembled to them to tighten the mount, Steiner just sent me a new replacement mount and I just replaced the mount with the new one and it was a much better fitment.

Just got my replacement mount the other day too and it seems somewhat better. If I have anymore issues I've decided I'm going to add some shim stock to the spacer plates in the mount.

Fits nice with a 4x Browe BCO.
IMG20230217212451.jpg

Last edited:
That’s good to know they just send replacement mount. Mine slides back and forth on KAC 3.1 rail. I added some foil tape in the spring plates and that seemed to do it, so have been putting off send it back in.

Has anyone used this on top of a 300wm or similar? I’ve seen it talked about but not mentioned actually done.

Trapper does the foil work pretty good? I'm about to try some shim stock in between the plates tonight.

With my new mount I still have a very slight amount of movement and I missed 3 out of 3 shots on yotes last night. I'm not entirely blaming it on the mount just yet, I'm gonna confirm zero this afternoon but I'm still gonna add shims.

I know one of the guys selling these way earlier in the thread had talked to adm about making a mount but said they wouldn't. The stock mount is a horrible design.

If a machinist could make a mount with two 1/2" cross bolts, I'd be in. I'm not a fan of throw levers, especially when they are not adjustable.

Reactions: BurtG
Does anyone know the reticle subtations on S35? Especially #9 Thanks
I emailed them asking for MIL/MOA measurements for the reticles and was told they don’t have that available. Planning to get out on a cool, but sunny, day with a white grid target and black electrical tape to try and figure out general measurements for the reticle I use.

ETA: never mind, seems HH has that info. Thanks, HH

Last edited:
Reticle info for the S35.
Thank you so much 🥰.

Question, "NOTE: The reticles do not change size in Mils with digital zoom." Does this mean they are essentially FFP, they are always accurate no matter the zoom? Sorry I'm simple and for some reason that quote reads strange to me.

Trapper does the foil work pretty good? I'm about to try some shim stock in between the plates tonight.

With my new mount I still have a very slight amount of movement and I missed 3 out of 3 shots on yotes last night. I'm not entirely blaming it on the mount just yet, I'm gonna confirm zero this afternoon but I'm still gonna add shims.

I know one of the guys selling these way earlier in the thread had talked to adm about making a mount but said they wouldn't. The stock mount is a horrible design.
Yea, it works. I would expect a 3000 optic shouldn't need foil tape on the mount, but 🤷‍♂️. I could easily slide it back and forth on KAC 3.1 rail, and added the shims till I couldn't. Probably wouldn't hurt to add a few more layers!

Still no answer if anyone has used this on a 300wm or similar? I know the rating was 800g? (or some unit of measurement).