• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

trg 42 338LM muzzle brake-? about installation

inalabama

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
birmingham, al
i just picked up my trg 42, i am curious the experience some of you may have had installing the muzzle brake. the manual indicates that after putting it on the threads you tighten the attachment bolt on the brake but there is no discussion of making the connection more permanent [the way a gunsmith would glue/fasten it down].

any issues with this-do i need a more permanent attachment for it to work optimally? also how does this brake perform compared to a badger?advice is appreciated, thanks in advance

Re: trg 42 338LM muzzle brake-? about installation

Nothing further is needed, just tighten until you can't turn the brake by hand. I cant speak to the comparison with a Badger but having shot a # of other brakes I would say it is reasonably efficient.

I have the 338, it is pleasant to shoot.

thanks crumpett, hey another ?, the manual talks about possibly having to adjust the rotations on the threads back from fully turning into the threads if the gun pulls to one side, did you ever experiecne that or was it really as easy as it sounds?, screw it on, tighten the bolt and shoot?

Look in the packaging. There is a installation instruction card. As I remember you torque it to 85 inch pounds.

Put it on, tighten the bolt, now shoot!. My 338 tends to jump the muzzle to the right if the brake is located with the ports vertical, with the ports canted approx 30 degrees right it is much easier to stay on target.

you should notice a small screw on the trg muzzle break (it is not the recessed allen screw/set screw), it should be pointed straight up. screw the break on as far as it will go, then unscrew it just enough so that the little screw on the break is straight up and down. then tighten the recessed allen screw on the side, i dont know how much you should tighten it, i barely tighten mine. i hope this helps. i am also assuming the trg 42 is the same as my trg22.

I had trouble with over tightening the brake on my 338LM. If I tightened the pinch bolt to tight the bullet would hit the end baffle causing the bullets POI to be way off. Now I just tighten enough so the brake barely can be turned by hand. Problem solved and the brake does do a good job at reducing recoil.

thats exactly the kind of thing i was wondering about, thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txfireman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should notice a small screw on the trg muzzle break (it is not the recessed allen screw/set screw), it should be pointed straight up. screw the break on as far as it will go, then unscrew it just enough so that the little screw on the break is straight up and down. then tighten the recessed allen screw on the side, i dont know how much you should tighten it, i barely tighten mine. i hope this helps. i am also assuming the trg 42 is the same as my trg22.</div></div>

That little screw is an attachment point for a mirage band. I guess, if you're using a mirage band, centering the muzzle brake might be proper.

hey sterlingshooter, have you used one of the mirage bands? i was looking at accessories at http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/sako_trg.htm
and it looks like that goes with the "Sako TRG 22/42 Emergency Front Sight". i am guessing, but this looks like an added fornt sight setup if mirage is so bad your scope is useless. anyone know more about it?

Actual sako spec on muzzle break torgue is 85 inch pounds fwiw

chuck

Mirage bands are useful when sustained fire, such as in NRA LR, will heat a barrel enough to cause the target to seem to disappear. I'm talking about when using iron sights though.

Be a little cautious when tightening the allen key bolt. I broke one using a torque wrench. You only have to tighten it so the compensator isn't turning by hand.

JB quited making the 18x1mm brakes

It is a shame as most users ended up throwing away the SAKO unit (if they had a chance of trying a TRG with the JB) and buying a real suppressor that didnt blow the ground off and disclose your position with every shot..... without really reducing that much of the recoil.
Once you try a JB you will use it.....

DONT, DONT make the conection permanent there is no reason and could mean trouble if you ever bend the brake after a "crash".
I have seen some AI brakes slightly bent and rendenring the rifle inoperative, just by falling muzzle down from vehicles.

If it is not super glued on, just unscrew it and keep shooting.

ed