• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes trying to mount vx-7L on 700ss-5r

walexa07

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
I have a rem 700ss-5r, and bought a vx-7L in 4.5 x 18 x 56 with 34mm tube. The scope came with PRW rings that measured .928" high from top of base to centerline of scope. I bought a standard QRW 2-piece base. The scope still sits too high. I measured and the point of least clearance between the scope and gun is .180". This closest point is not even out where the cutout in the objective end is over the barrel.......it's back where the barrel swells at the chamber. Anyway, if the scope is lower my cheekweld will be better, and I'd like to take more advantage of the cutout objective end.I have read up on badger, farrel, leupold, and several others and can't find any rings/base to get the scope lower.

By the way, murphy precision has rings that are .825.........these are the lowest I have found and they are in titanium. I am considering ordering a set and just using them with my QRW base. Would really love some sound advice.

Waylan

Re: trying to mount vx-7L on 700ss-5r

That is the problem with the leupold design they make a scope that sits lower but do they make the correct ring? i would contact Leupold to find out if theymake any 34mm ring to suit their scope? if not Murphy's might be your only other option.

I would be curious to know how you like the scope too. Its an interesting design.

walexa007,

"Stop trying to lower the river, instead raise the bridge".

It is a fact of life is that you can only get 34mm rings down so low. Any ring solution that is Weaver based, or Picitinny rail based, has to clamp on the rails somehow, and that limits how low you can go with any rings.

The Murphy rings will lower your whole set-up by a sparkling 0.103", not much for $265. Not a damn thing wrong with Murphy Titanium Rings, but I doubt that just a little bit of a lowering is going to make a major cheek weld difference.

If cheek weld is the problem, instead consider raising your comb. Lot's of ways to do it, and most are considerably cheaper that $265.

If is the esthetics's of the whole setup, well not much can be done, with the 34mm tubed scopes. In 1" or 30mm, you have a great selection of solutions.

Bob

Thanks for the replies.

I talked to Leupold support and the PRW rings included with the scope are the only rings they make that go that low for 34mm tubes.

I wanted to change rings anyway as the only rings I've ever damaged a scope tube with was the PRW style. I mashed up a nikon prostaff on my son's 243 pretty good. Thank goodness the prostaff is only a $150 scope. So.....planning on changing rings anyway, was just hoping to go lower. .103" will have my minimum clearance at .077".

Just wondered if NEAR mfg or some other mfg had something that would suck up the .18" clearance.

As far as liking the scope.......this is my 2nd VXL. My other is a 3.5x10x56 with a 1" tube on a 25-06. I like the concept, the way the scope sits low, etc. etc. I've not experienced using other scopes like swarovski, nightforce, zeiss, or others, so I can't compare......but I do like the VXL series.

Waylan

good luck and i hope your scope works for you but i think after all of there marketing about making it easier and better to mount the scope loert to the reciever they would make a lower ring or they might have just left the scope with a roung abjective if you spin the scope and it still clears the objective. I would also aske about a lower rail some companies will make you a custom rail and that might drop it the extra 80thou and get the scope where leupold says it is supposed to be.

The concept sounds good but when other things like 34mm rings come into it it is not as easy to make the system work.

Thanks for the response, Wild Bill.

I have a vxl with a 1" tube and the way it fits the gun is awesome......I love it. But you are correct.........they should make a lower ring. This gun is heavy barrel, so there would be even more of a gap on a regular profile barrel. What amazes me is that their tech support stated I may have to go with higher rings due to the heavy barrel, when in fact there is excessive clearance.

But hopefully the scope will be well-accepted and lower 34mm rings/bases will become more available.

Regarding the custom rails.........it is difficult to get lower than the QRW bases. Murphy Precision had me send my QRW bases (since they are weaver style and not picatinny), and he plans to mill the slots out wider to accept his rings. Right now this is the best option I could find.