• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up West Kentucky Shoot @ Rockcastle on 4-13-13 9am-???

I think he'll be using a soft Hornady bullet. I saw him on Easter and just told him it'd be best to use the softest bullet he had. He thinks he'll only shoot maybe 10 rounds. If he hits at 1k, I'm sure he'll want to shoot more though.

I'll work on making a stand that'll hold up to a beating. My steel target is a 5/8" thick 12" round, so it'll probably be okay.

Hey, was one of you guys on this thread shooting some AR's at BGSL yesterday?

If so, thanks again for chrono-ing my 223 loads.

Back on topic of next weekend, I probably won't be able to go. Next time for sure!

Anything that a new to long range shooter should bring? Trying to think of everything from a shooting mat (will be a blanket for now) to my Kestrel. I guess if I forget something super necessary, then someone will have a backup. I don't have a rangefinder, but I'm assuming we'll be shooting at known ranges. As far as actual shooting, I'm bringing my rifles, scope, ammo (how much? I'm thinking 100 rounds each), some hex wrenches, my range cards, rear bag.

Any suggestions on obvious things that I may have missed?

a folding chair or plan on sitting in the dirt during down time. I hope somebody plans on bringing an extra tarp, mines good for 3 shooters and spotters. Bring some extra spray paint for your targets. Eye and ear protection is a must. There are no facilities onsite, so maybe some hand san if you plan on eating lunch on site, and Park Mammoth is going to be open for lunch if you need to eat and don't pack food. Dress in layers since its gonna be in the high 30s when we get there and will be round 60 by 2 pm. It wont be that sunny or windy, but spending all day outside you might bring sun screen if you are of fair complexion. Drinks of the non booze type......If you think of everything, you will end up packing yer whole house. Everything you pack, you will have to unpack and repack. Try to go light, be willing to share what you have, and maybe people will share with you if you forgot something.

TW/Shane

PS: Once we get in a habit of doing this, I had an idea of a pack in/pack out to give this a little more realism. We set up targets in advance. The next morning, we pack in from the fence. Everything you need in one trip. It would only be a couple of hundred yards, but it would give an idea if you ever thought about having to shoot while patrolling your farm or neighborhood. My fat butt needs to realize this bad:)

Last edited:
I'm in for sure.

I decided to try some 180 hybrids in 7mm-08. I'll be bringing a few of them with me, so if someone is bringing a chronograph I would appreciate shooting a few rounds over it.

Tevis,

Our other chrono person has already backed out for this event. If possible, make sure you bring yours.

Thanks in Advance,
TW/Shane

Just called Rockcastle. Everything is go! Please be on the lookout Saturday morning. There is a Cowboy Action Event going on. We don't want to scare the Cowboys;)

TW/Shane

Me and a buddy are in for sure. Not 100% sure we can get there by 9am exactly but we will do our best. The time change does help us some.

Should be nice weather and good times. Let me know if we need steel for that 1100 yard shot. I have some great targets. I can even bring my mobile shop, its an enclosed 16ft trailer that can service any type of firearm.

Got ya on the list. This is the first major gathering we have had. When in doubt of what to bring, bring what you feel comfortable with, and if we don't need it, its that less to pack up......ah hell, bring your big steel:)

Shane/TW

Just realized that I don't have a level on my scope... Is there any way I can rig one up or some place I can get one by Saturday?

Cabela's was where I was going to try first.

Rather odd requests; Anyone have any of the following? Weaver Tactical scope, Aadland rings, KRG Bolt lift, 700p stock? Just some things I am considering for a build.

Last edited:
Jonesy,
Ya might have to call a couple of gun shops. I used to work at a Gander Mtn, and if corporate didnt think we could sell 12 a month , the hook space was given to something else. Ya really don't have to worry about angles if ya don't find one. Most of us use rangefinders ( you can borrow mine if ya have to ) that either will tell you the angle or automatically calculate the distance to a flat line amount.

Jmanwit,

Don't know what rigs folks will be running, but when I was building my first gun I also ran into nobody having the gear I wanted. I ended up having a good business relationship with a gun store owner who always let me return anything as long as it was clean, I didn't destroy the box, and I kept the receipt. Might not work for everyone , but saved me a ton of money.

TW/Shane

Just realized that I don't have a level on my scope... Is there any way I can rig one up or some place I can get one by Saturday?

Cabela's was where I was going to try first.

You don't need one :)

Ill pack up the chono. i am also going to try my best to be there by 9. might not make it, i have to work tonight and will come in by way of scottsvagus.

this is my second time shooting my rifle and i do not have a rear bag is there anyone that has a spare that i could maybe borrow tomorrow? thanks in advance!

dont worry about it solid there will be alot of equipment there just feel free to grab what you need from greene, landis, or myself

Just got in from getting my truck and 4 wheeler from the family farm. If anybody is going to get there after 9am, no sweat. Just check in and pay at the Lodge, do all the paperwork, and come on out. If you have never been to the range, ask the Lodge folks, they will be happy to tell you how to get there. Relax, enjoy, this is supposed to be fun:)

TW/Shane

I was lucky enough to be able to make this shoot and had a great time. It was my first chance to shoot beyond 500 yards.

Met a bunch of cool folks. I think there were about 16 there.

Thanks to Shane for setting it up and also thanks to the folks that brought and set up the steel. There were targets at 250, 300, 325, 350, 375, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 650, 700, 750, 800, 850, 915, 950, 1000, 1050, and 1100 yards. There were more than one at some of those points.

By the way, I did manage to hit targets all the way out to 1100 yards.

It was a great day with almost perfect weather. Just a little wind at times.

Hope I get the chance to do it again. Just wish it wasn't a 4 hour drive each way.

Thanks again,

Joe.

Here are a few pics. Hope nobody minds me posting their pic. If so, I will take them down.

The range

I tried to get a pic of the targets but they didn't show up too good.

A couple of the line

Last edited:
I hope everybody had a good time. I hope we have more show up in the future. I hope HD1911 has good luck with his tenure of being "Point Man" on the next gathering. Ohhhh, wind sucks. To those that realized I was having a bad day hitting the target, I'm better than that. Wind had me all over the place. I should do better next time....and yes, I will bring the M1A Supermatch next time:)

Peace! Out!
TW/Shane

Any plans on doing another of these in the May/June/July timeframe? Would love to get a decent shoot in.

Words do not describe the utter dismay I felt for missing out on this. I had to cover a shift at work for a girl who's father is deploying. Next time... may have to try and set one up closer to Clarksville, of course we only go out to 400... I need to move...

Any plans on doing another of these in the May/June/July timeframe? Would love to get a decent shoot in.

I had a great time yesterday. First time past 500 yards for me. That being said, I want to get back out there ASAP for practice. Going to dive into the Precision Rifle match there July 19-21, so I need a bunch more practice!!

Any way we can get another thread going regarding the next shoot? McCrazy wants to shoot for May/June/July and I'm down with that (how about May AND July? :))

If we can get a consensus on days here we can start another thread. I will be in the States after mid-May but need some time to spend with the family and load some ammo up.

Guys ill have to Check with RockCastle about dates. Is the General Consensus so far, that late May will be the ideal timeframe?

Potential Shooters please chime in :)

Edit: are we wanting this to become a once a month ordeal?

I would love once a month. I'm in need of lots of practice.

Late of May is good for me by the way.

We may want to consider starting a thread like SGWW Group. This would allow anyone in the area to check in and see when the next shoot date is
Food for thought.

For those that may have questions. HD1911 is now "Point Man" on the next shoot. It is a PITA to be in charge of setting these up. We will be rotating this out with whomever wants to be considered in the future. I had fun doing it, but Ive got finals going on the next few weeks. I am for the monthly event idea:)

TW/Shane

So the only Open Saturdays in May are the 11th and 18th. And that could change at any moment.

Last edited:
May 18th is probably going to be too soon for me to make it but by all means set it up if it works for you.

If you book something in June as well I will do my absolute best to be there.

+1 for making this a monthly event, at least during the March-November timeframe. I don't shoot much unless I have to during the frozen months.

Greene and I have the prs match in FL at k&m on the 3-5 and the PTS team match in TN on the 25-26 so the 18th might be the only weekend we might be able to make it if we can squeeze it in.

Guys, I'm interested in trying this game. Not too far from some of you. Anyone willing to help a newbie get started? Thanks!

Yes, there are several people who would be willing to help you out. Do you have your own rifle and setup or need to use one?

Yes, there are several people who would be willing to help you out. Do you have your own rifle and setup or need to use one?

Thanks for the reply, Green. I look forward to giving the tactical matches a try. I'm not a complete newbie, just new to this discipline. I've been shooting short range benchrest for several years now, and I build those rifles for myself and others. I've probably got a gun or two that I can get my feet wet with, and have built quite a few for long range competitors. I just know very little about the game itself. I'm not far from Rockcastle...about an hour...near Bowling Green. I can certainly use all the help I can get. I saw a few posters from my general area and was trying to figure out if I knew them. If anyone is willing to help with a few stupid questions and some range time, I have a place to shoot. Thanks very much, Green. I hope to meet you soon.
p.s.--To add to that, I'm pretty ignorant to what other equipment will be needed, aside from the rifle.

Last edited:
Feel free to ask me anything you want. Always happy to help if I can. Shoot me a pm if you want, I will try to guide you as best I can.

Greene

Gents,

Our next shoot is May 11th @ RockCastle, 9am. Sorry for the short notice, I truly apologize.

Gents,

Our next shoot is May 11th @ RockCastle, 9am. Sorry for the short notice, I truly apologize.

Thanks for posting! I'll do my best to make it. How many rounds should I bring? I know that may be a silly question, but hey, I have never shot this discipline. I'll be lucky to have to gun ready, anyway.