• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors What is the best knife steel?????

Re: What is the best knife steel?????

thats a question with a million correct answers.

what will you be using it for? cutting only? prying? salty environments?

in my personal opinion, with all of the supersteels on the market, i still preffer 1095 carbon for my user knives, ive always found that (or 5160) to give me the balance of edge holding/flexibility/wear resistance that i look for in a knife, i know many people that buy into the supersteel faze and still have come back to the basics.

Carbon steel or stainless? S30V, a stainless steel is pretty good, it does take a lot of abuse and you won't have to worry about it rusting quickly on you. 154CM, AUS8 and ATS34 are also good popular stainless knife steels. Carbon steels hold a better edge IMO, but is more prone to rust. 1085, 1095, A2, D2, all are probably the most popular choices in carbon steel today. My EDC is a Benchmade 760 with a M4 tool steel blade.

Knives made of 5160 or spring steel are hard to beat. It will rust, so light coat of oil or a coat of wax will do the trick. Knives can be made of almost any steel 5160 holds an edge longer and is easy to keep sharp. In cutting competitions between knife makers almost every knife will be 5160 a few will be 1095 ( high carbon tool steel this is what files are made of ) In a survival situation you will want a knife that holds an edge and that is easy to keep sharp.

For a "tactical" knife, maybe 3V or CPM154?

I've gone back the other way lately, and taken a shine to the handmade, 1095 carbon, wood, leather, forged finish on the flats type of knife. Take a look at the knives made by Matthew Bailey, Daniel Koster, and Andy Roy of Fiddleback Forge. You can find them on bladeforums - dot - com, among other places.

Here's a few Fiddlebacks - pics lifted from Andy's threads:

Hunter with stabalized spalted Maple.
March100_1783-vi.jpg

Bocote over Osage
March100_1803-vi.jpg

March100_1804-vi.jpg

And check out this set (Bow Legged Chopper and a Runt)!!! Thats glow in the dark yarn micarta from Shadetree Phenolics, and its some kinda sweet!
March100_1813-vi.jpg

March100_1814-vi.jpg

March100_1816-vi.jpg

Here's a few Koster knives - pics lifted from Dan's threads:

A Monster Nessmuk
MonsterNessie0308-01.jpg

Specs:

8.5" blade of 1/4" thick 5160 carbon steel, tempered to ~58 HRc
5.25" handle of Cocobolo with brass corby pins and lanyard

blade is 2.75" tall at the widest point
balance is 1.5" in front of the handle - great for chopping

A Bushcrafter in 3V
Bushcraft0129-05.jpg

OAL = 8.5"
Blade = 4" of CPM3V, 1/8" thick, scandi grind
Handle = Cocobolo, red liners, stainless steel pins

A Nessmuk in 1/4 inch 3V (this Baby is mine!)
NessmukStag0916-01.jpg

The Fiddleback glow in the dark set is mine, and I took a couple neat pics of the Chopper the other day! Check 'em..

Here it is in it's normal condition.
DSC05761.jpg

Here it is after "charging" it with a Surefire E1B flashlight. The glow is plainly visible even with the lights on!
DSC05762.jpg

And here it is in the dark!
DSC05769.jpg

Anyway, here's some pictures of some Matthew Bailey knives from his threads, his stuff is absolutely beautiful. Just click the links.

"It is Don Hanson's W2, clay coated for a nice hamon. The flats are left as forged (cause I like how it looks!). The spine is fileworked with my random vine pattern.
The handle is some really nice stabilized buckeye burl. It is held together with three normal pins and one mosaic (plus epoxy).
The sheath is 8-9oz leather, hand tooled with a scrollwork design.
Dimensions
Blade - 4 3/4" tip to handle
OAL - 9 3/8"

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a few more:

attachment.php

For you guys that know about these things, how does Busse's "INFI" stuff measure up?

Thanks,
Erik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you guys that know about these things, how does Busse's "INFI" stuff measure up?

Thanks,
Erik

</div></div>

Can't go wrong with a Busse. One of the things I like about the Infi, it doesn't Rust easily. Holds an edge very well also. Only downside is the price, but then I guess a lot of customs are right up there in price also.

A2 is a pretty good Knife steel also,,,
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carbon steel or stainless? S30V, a stainless steel is pretty good, it does take a lot of abuse and you won't have to worry about it rusting quickly on you. 154CM, AUS8 and ATS34 are also good popular stainless knife steels. Carbon steels hold a better edge IMO, but is more prone to rust. 1085, 1095, A2, D2, all are probably the most popular choices in carbon steel today. My EDC is a Benchmade 760 with a M4 tool steel blade. </div></div>

Great Post.

Respect from the 361

I would say that W2 would be great as is 1095!
W2 has vanadium in it vs W1 (old file steel aka tooling steel which has a high carbon content and is a damn good knife steel which holds a great edge (takes and holds an edge extremely well but it is a heavier steel)) which aids in corrosion resistance but still needs the user to take care of it. 1095 is a little easier on the owner however my W2 chopper that I made hasn't had any issues with rust but then I maintain my equipment!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/3299478530_090f11afc1_b.jpg

There are some nice alloys out there that are good and some are absolute junk!

I would check in Bladeforums and ask some of the mastersmiths there if you are really looking into a custom knife. They are easy to talk to and generaly enjoy sharing their knowledge.

I have two that I use for EDC. The blade steel is ZDP-189 which's laminated with ATS-34. This is a Japanese super steel and it is made in the same fashion as the old samuri swords. Holds a great edge, but it is a bitch to sharpen.

I became a big fan of the Wharncliffe design after taking Michael Janich's "counter knife" course. It is a very efficient design. Anyway, I carry these two knives on an everyday basis.

CPM154, VG-10, D2, and S30V are my favorites. One of my favorite knives is ZDP-189, but it is nearly impossible to sharpen.

I've made blades from everything from 1080 to S30V. They all have their pros and cons, but they all make a good blade. Anything with a carbon content in the neighborhood of 1% will get plenty hard. The trick is in the heat treating process.

There are different steels for different purposes. No one steel "does it all". When someone says a "tactical blade", I translate that as being a really cool looking knife used to cut string and dig dirt out from under your fingernails. That crowd usually wants something stainless that they won't have to sharpen often. IMO, the best steel for that is S30V. It's stainless, has plenty of molybdenum for toughness and vanadium to reduce grain size. It's also damn expensive steel. But for the majority of my hunting knives, I use good old 1095 or O1. It gets almost just as hard (anything over 60RC is a PITA to sharpen), and with proper care during heat treat, you can keep the grain size down (O1 has vanadium also). But for something like a camp/survival knife, 5160 can't be beat. Sure it'll rust, but a differentially hardened peice of 5160 is just damned tough! A 59 RC edge with a spine like rubber can take some abuse.

There are probably as many arguments regarding "the best steel" as there are bladesmiths and knife makers out there, but that's my $.02.

JV

I've been at this a while, I would answer your question by saying that any well sharpened and cared for steel will serve you well. If your question is "what steel for a person that cant or wont sharpen and care for their knife?" Well, that is another issue all together and I would have to ask you a dozen questions as to how, where, what you would be doing with it.

Most any good steel will do the job......if its sharp.

The absolute toughest steel is "Vasco Wear" but it's so hard to work that knives made using it are very rare and VERY pricey.
M2 runs a very close second.
Most knife makers are too wussy to even try to make something out of those steels....it takes at least triple the amount of effort than say a 440C or 1095.
Another very very good steel is "Stellite" which is used to make the valve seats in an automotive engine....try working that on a forge
smile.gif

I have knives made from O1, D2, W2, 1095, 1086M, ATS34, S30V, 440C, and about every other alloy you can think of....but my little handmade Vasco wear blade will out cut and out last all of those put together.
You can even get it red hot and use it as a burning or melting tool and not hurt the temper
smile.gif

There are a lot of good steel out there. But the BEST in my opinion is INFI steel from Busse. I have knives with S30V, D2, 1095 etc but INFI beats them all. Yes, they are expensive but you have got to pay to play.

Check out the brutal test that was done to this Busse Skinny Ash most knives dont live thru this. Yes i know we wont be doing these things to our knives but the bottom line is it shows what it can stand up to.

What handgun caliber is most effective?

Same sort of question. Any of the steels listed is fine for the uses for which a knife is intended. If you want some super-knife that you want to use for chopping wood, kitchen usage, and doing PRK surgery, then you're going off the reservation.

What is your intended use? That should dictate the steel.

For those with the knowledge how bout SAN MAI III?
I know some dont like Cold Steel, but noticed they'r making a lot of their blades out of this now. I have a master hunter w/ the gut hook thats made out of carbon 5 and I hate that blade. The hook is nice but my Master Hunter with the Stainless blade is my go to knife in hunting season.

My hands down favorite is D2. REALLY good rust resistance, REALLY GOOD edge holding but doesn't take straining ur guts to sharpen sharpen. And very common compared to many of the more rare/exotic steels mentioned here. -Does not have to be expensive- (as far as nice knife pricing goes.)

Like Juan V mentioned o1 has good attributes as well. I'll go out on a limb and say that if you ask any knife maker here or any EXTRMELY experienced field knife user they will step up and say they do not carry a stainless blade in the woods.

You can moly gun coat D2, then buff off the gun coat and the stuff will not rust.

But with plain D2, I don't care if it gets a slight patina- just adds to the mojo- and will STILL out cut a SS blade...

Vote for S30V steel.

For specific knives, if you mean a survival knife that you can use for chopping, cutting, defense...then I would say a khukuri. If instead you mean a knife for self-defense only, then I would say look at the Emerson Karambits. If you want a folding knife, then one of Emerson folding karambits or P'kal with wave quick-opening feature. If you mean a concealable neck knife, then a shivWorks Lil' Loco or a HideAway Knife.

Busse Combat, Strider, and for the not so wealthy like me Zero Tolerance.

Whatever a KBAR is made of. I use mine for almost all my camping, hunting and fishing needs. I've had it for about 2 years and it's still sharp enough to shave with (haven't sharpened it yet). I oil the edge of my blade only (rest of it is black powder coated). It's the sharpest, most useful knife I've ever had the pleasure to own. The handle doesn't slip and the steel butt cap works well as a hammer when needed. It has enough heft to hack, yet I can use it to gut and clean rainbow trout (the blood channel is a pita). In my opinion it is the best knife available. The only improventment would be serations on the first 3-4 inches of the blade (closest to the handle) becuase cutting 1 inch samson line that has been towed on sucks.

1095 and 52100 would be my choices for a large heavy knife. I really like how M2 takes and holds an edge on some of my smaller knives. O-1 does very nicely as well. I have one blank in S60V that I need to finish up, and will be curious as to how that does. I've had 2 knives in D2 and you couldn't pay me to have another. wouldn't take much of an edge, and what it took wouldn't last the edge seemed to microchip terribly, and then hold at that point for ever.

What do you want the knife for, how much do you want to pay, and who do you want it from? If I wanted a reasonably tough knife with good edge holding and good corrosion resistance, 1095 carbon steel would not be my first choice. If I wanted an extremely tough knife and good edge holding without any requirement for corrosion resistance, 440C would not be my first choice. If I wanted a knife made out of the best possible materials with the best possible fit and finish, a mass produced knife would not be my first choice. If I wanted a reasonably priced knife with a reasonable level of fit and finish that can be easily replaced, a custom maker would not be my first choice.

As said, it really depends on what you want. My fixed blade from RAT is 1095 and my folder is S30V. Both have their benefits.

I like Japanese super steels. Cowry-X and VG-10 are great stainless steels... you can attain high hardness without becoming very brittle. For carbon steel, Japanese blue is quite nice.

The disadvantage of Cowry-X is that it is distributed to very few knife builders. The knife builders are almost all Japanese. Fallkniven makes a Cowry-X hunting knife, but it is actually made by Hattori and distributed by Fallkniven.

With Cowry-X, I believe that part of the issue is that the temper process needs to be done in a particular way. In order to buy Cowry-X, you have to know the process and the information is closely held.

Take a look at "Bearcat". Used for turbine blades where impact is a problem. Doesn't take a great shine, has to be specially heat treated...but tough as s.... JMHO