• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where is 6arc going?

Im really hoping that it will be that for me as well
The cost of a bench LR bolt gun in 6 ARC will be alot more than an AR-15 upper. Revise one you already own, or buy an inexpensive upper reciever and HG. You're gonna buy a new barrel anyway. Bolt and mags $125. You can put any AR-15 lower assembly underneath it to make it go BANG! Honestly not as expensive as one might think. Do it and months from now you'll look back and say "Why didn't I do this sooner!" lol

The cost of a bench LR bolt gun in 6 ARC will be alot more than an AR-15 upper. Revise one you already own, or buy an inexpensive upper reciever and HG. You're gonna buy a new barrel anyway. Bolt and mags $125. You can put any AR-15 lower assembly underneath it to make it go BANG! Honestly not as expensive as one might think. Do it and months from now you'll look back and say "Why didn't I do this sooner!" lol
Already planning that way. Making a second upper for my 556 ar that is a precision coyote gun or whatever. Got an areo enhanced upper with handguard on a recent midway sale. Barrel will probably be a bartline from cle

Reactions: Lazyfaire
Depends. If you have a switch barrel set up itll be just as cheap as an AR: bolt and barrel only

Depends. If you have a switch barrel set up itll be just as cheap as an AR: bolt and barrel only
No I get it. That's what I did. But not everyone has an extra AR. Barrel, bolt & a mag are the only things to swap out. Doesn't have to be a $1000 barrel (cf). Proof makes a steel barrel for $560. BA sells SS barrels for less than $300. Don't remember what I paid for the bolt but maybe $50. Low price is possible. My point was for him to go ahead and do it. Get into it. Its a fun cartridge.

I do suggest that people pick up a couple of boxes every time they come across them. To just build up an inventory of cartridges so that you can develop a bunch of brass if you want to reload them. Have a buddy who only had 40 pieces of brass and he was crying. Finally sold him mine.

...this recent vid by SILENCERCO will most likely entice some folks that have been sitting on the fence about 6ARC... 2K with an 18" tube and factory ammo (y)

Just watched it. Zero info, just some shooting. I did like at 2:32 when the guy fires a round and goes to run the bolt and just ends up fingering the rifle.
But without knowing how many rounds they sent it means nothing. I've hit a raccoon at 1100 yards with a 22" 5.56, sounds super impressive if I don't tell you how many consecutive days he came out to get shot at over and over.

Just watched it. Zero info, just some shooting. I did like at 2:32 when the guy fires a round and goes to run the bolt and just ends up fingering the rifle.
But without knowing how many rounds they sent it means nothing. I've hit a raccoon at 1100 yards with a 22" 5.56, sounds super impressive if I don't tell you how many consecutive days he came out to get shot at over and over.
I think he was working the safety, MAYBE.

Reactions: padfoot 37
Well, ordered a 20in rl gas 6 arc bartlein barrel from CLE with matching bolt. Got a areo precision enhanced upper and handguard, just need a gas block and a bolt carrier! Very excited.

Well, ordered a 20in rl gas 6 arc bartlein barrel from CLE with matching bolt. Got a areo precision enhanced upper and handguard, just need a gas block and a bolt carrier! Very excited.
Let me know how that barrel does for you, especially if you run factory stuff though it. I was set to buy a Proof until a saw CLE make one.

Let me know how that barrel does for you, especially if you run factory stuff though it. I was set to buy a Proof until a saw CLE make one.
I will, it will be a bit before i get a gasblock, tube, mag and ammo money wise to test it out but i will share when i do. From my research based on others experience, it should shoot amazing.

Start buying your ammo. New (empty) brass is hard to find. But you will love shooting the cartridge

Start buying your ammo. New (empty) brass is hard to find. But you will love shooting the cartridge

Yep, I've never actually seen a box of virgin 6mm ARC brass for sale, but I've been able to pick up several boxes of 105gr and 108gr factory ammo as I found it (usually between $26 and $30 per). The factory fare tends to shoot quite well, and then you have your brass.

Last edited:
Agree. I would just pick up 2-4 boxes whenever I went into the LGS. When everything else was going through the roof 6mm ARC was still like $20-21/box. It has become more popular

Can occasionally find it on line. You just have to be persistant about it.

I just got a case of the 105 this week.

Only 1 case left & free shipping on a case.
$240 a case shipped isn’t too bad.

I just got a case of the 105 this week.

Only 1 case left & free shipping on a case.
$240 a case shipped isn’t too bad.

i think that the linked 224 Valkyrie is different than the 6 Man Bun ammo. JMHO. maybe close enough on the insta social media scale, though.

Brownells has some precision hunter in stock with free shipping

i think that the linked 224 Valkyrie is different than the 6 Man Bun ammo. JMHO. maybe close enough on the insta social media scale, though.
Oops! My bad yeah this is a 6ARc thread. I have both.
Bought the case of 224 just for the brass & the 75 shoots well. It’s a good contrast to the cost of ARC ammo.
Why is ARC $10-20 more a box than Valk???

The 108’s shoot well in my ARC, but to hell with paying $35+ for it.

Just got new pills & Brass for the ARC & Valk (500 Starline inbound).

This will make Snuby madd! Sorry man, but ARC brass is unobtanium & Hornady wants Lapua prices for it if they ever sell it.

image.jpg

Wow
Pretty desperate to resort to shoving Lapua through an ar.

Respect !
It’s a really nice AR & doesn’t beat the brass up :)

The reason I held off on any grendal variant AR’s is because I thought the brass would go south quickly. Turns out it holds up much better than Valk brass in my experience so far.

Reactions: Snuby642
Specs I've read looks like 6.5g is milder than the valkyrie but I still added an h2 with a flat wire spring and agb to slow the bolt opening.

Was shooting suppressed.

Oops! My bad yeah this is a 6ARc thread. I have both.
Bought the case of 224 just for the brass & the 75 shoots well. It’s a good contrast to the cost of ARC ammo.
Why is ARC $10-20 more a box than Valk???

The 108’s shoot well in my ARC, but to hell with paying $35+ for it.

Just got new pills & Brass for the ARC & Valk (500 Starline inbound).

This will make Snuby madd! Sorry man, but ARC brass is unobtanium & Hornady wants Lapua prices for it if they ever sell it.

View attachment 7872723
Now that’s just mean…

😄😄

• Haha
Practicing to run for office .
I misspoke myself. 6mb

It looks like someone was shooting 6 arc suppressed.

1653074062952.jpeg

Laying on the ground at the range yesterday.

Heck, I don’t reload but have recovered all but a few pieces of brass from my range trips. I put them all back into the boxes they came in and stash it away.

I might have to start reloading when I get more retired.

Reactions: Snuby642
I may have a few more in my range pick up stash. I only take brass that I pick up myself from where lazy-assed m-fr’s don’t pick them up themselves.

If I ever get around to sorting it from the other miscellaneous crap I pick up, I’ll offer it for sale cheap to first person that responds.

Who is the target audience for the 6mm ARC, long range paper punchers and varmint hunters?

Who is the target audience for the 6mm ARC, long range paper punchers and varmint hunters?
Hornady developed the cartridge and brought it forward in 2020. The special ops people were wanting a lighter cartridge so they could carry more ammo over longer distances. From what I have read the 6mm ARC shoots flatter and hits harder at longer distances, with more energy than a 308 (at long distances). Barrett & the mil people developed a lightweight rifle to use it in. Proof Research CF 18" barrel. I turned a Barrett REC-7 (300BO) into a 6mm ARC. It weighs under 7lbs (unloaded).

Evidently, various unidentified special ops groups are testing it out in the field.

For reloaders, find someone who shoots 6 ARC and doesn't reload. Make a deal with him/her to pick up his brass and buy it from him. Troll the line at the range to see if you can spot someone. Or you can just go buy it.

Hornady developed the cartridge and brought it forward in 2020. The special ops people were wanting a lighter cartridge so they could carry more ammo over longer distances. From what I have read the 6mm ARC shoots flatter and hits harder at longer distances, with more energy than a 308 (at long distances). Barrett & the mil people developed a lightweight rifle to use it in. Proof Research CF 18" barrel. I turned a Barrett REC-7 (300BO) into a 6mm ARC. It weighs under 7lbs (unloaded).

Evidently, various unidentified special ops groups are testing it out in the field.
I was just wondering the target audience, I know how it came about. I had Hornady make a 100 custom dies sets in 6mm Predator same as 6mmAR, 243LBC,6mm Grendel several years ago. Ben Syring at Hornady ordered a barrel from me and about a year later the 6mm ARC was born. He told me it looked interesting and wanted to try it. Robert Whitley was the first guy to stick a 6mm in a Grendel case around 2006-7, I did it for my own personal use in 07.
I know the 6.8 had a military origin and intended purpose but have never heard the military wanted the ARC. Due to bolt strength and mag concerns I can't believe the military would even think about it.
So the largest sector of gun owners is home/self defense then hunters then target/recreation shooters. ETA who is Hornady targeting? Sorry I haven't kept up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazyfaire
I was just wondering the target audience, I know how it came about. I had Hornady make a 100 custom dies sets in 6mm Predator same as 6mmAR, 243LBC,6mm Grendel several years ago. Ben Syring at Hornady ordered a barrel from me and about a year later the 6mm ARC was born. He told me it looked interesting and wanted to try it. Robert Whitley was the first guy to stick a 6mm in a Grendel case around 2006-7, I did it for my own personal use in 07.
I know the 6.8 had a military origin and intended purpose but have never heard the military wanted the ARC.
So the largest sector of gun owners is home/self defense then hunters then target/recreation shooters.
Terrific provenance on the cartridge, thanks. Once the military/Hornady/Barrett media came out in 2020 there have been a lot of barrel makers creating barrels for the new cartridge.

The bolt is a Grendel type 2, but the most difficult has been the magazine. Due to the fat short cartridge it was a problem finding a 20 rd mag that was flawless. Almost like a 22 mag mag, the bottom of the case had to sit against the back of the mag or else they would get ‘out of whack’ and misfeed. Point is many of these things didn’t get fixed until the big boys stepped in and helped to create a much larger market.

I am not discounting your participation in helping what was an obscure cartridge to come forward. Such things only add to the history of an item. Thank you for your info.

The Grendel with a .136 recess is weaker than the bolt with the .124 recess 7-8% but still weaker, any engineer can explain that in about 30 seconds. The bolts below are the Titan, quite a bit stronger than the type 1 or 2.
IMG_2157.JPG

Reactions: Evlshnngns
So you guys shooting the ARC aren't using the same Grendel mags that have been around since 2007-8? ASC made them then CPD split off and started making them in house. Bill A was using Lancer for a while. So what are these new ARC mags?

Stronger than your average bolt. The bolt on the far right is the 800 series was designed to allow shooting a 6BRX(308 diameter) in and AR15, it came first around 2007 there were also Grendel and 6.8 versions. The second from the right and second design is the 750XD also works with 308 sized, Grendel, 6.8 sized cartridges. third from the right is the Titan, I designed it for Grendel/7.62x39 sized cartridges, never made those for the 6.8. 2 bolts on the left are 5.56 and 6.8 I believe.
IMG_0370 (2).JPG

The Grendel with a .136 recess is weaker than the bolt with the .124 recess 7-8% but still weaker, any engineer can explain that in about 30 seconds. The bolts below are the Titan, quite a bit stronger than the type 1 or 2.
View attachment 7874662
Would the Titan be only for bolt action rifles? Do they make one for the AR-15 ?

EDIT -- Didn't see the variety of bolts until I opened my laptop, sorry. Question: Then which of the two on the right would be best for the 6 ARC? And what might the difference be between them? And thanks for offering this info up.

So you guys shooting the ARC aren't using the same Grendel mags that have been around since 2007-8? ASC made them then CPD split off and started making them in house. Bill A was using Lancer for a while. So what are these new ARC mags?
Honestly do not remember where the mags came from. I know of no new mags for the cartridge. Doesn't mean there arent any. Some of the ones I have are 17rd Israeli made for 300 BO. That said they only fit 11 of the ARC. Pic to follow
The orange tape is how I separate calibers

Attachments

• 0597508C-722A-42B6-A495-3EDC22D8F31A.jpeg
    0597508C-722A-42B6-A495-3EDC22D8F31A.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Constructor
Honestly do not remember where the mags came from. I know of no new mags for the cartridge. Doesn't mean there arent any. Some of the ones I have are 17rd Israeli made for 300 BO. That said they only fit 11 of the ARC. Pic to follow
I remember those and that was probably what Bill A (Alexander Arms) was recommending. Should be good mags, IMI.

As I understand it the fat casing on one end and a narrow tip on the other in a mag (as originally tried in a 223/556 mag) did not feed well (OAL in the mag was too long) if the rounds got out of alignment. Think I read somewhere that Magpul was not going to make one for the 6 ARC, but not sure just when that was tho. I have it in an AR and use 10 round mags and racking the bottom and then the side to align them works for me everytime. Love the gun and the round.