• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Which Hensoldt scope for 260?

ToKeepAndBear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
3-12 or 4-16 for a 260 TRG?

Sounds like all the importer's rifles (Hudisco) wear the 3-12.

Jason on here seems to prefer the 4-16.

Sounds like Lowlight has both. I watched his videos and read his posts. I did not see any direct comparisons of the 3-12 or 4-16 other than only the 4-16 has the NH1 reticle. Maybe he or someone else that has both could detail preferences and thoughts on magnification for a 260. I am located on the East Coast, definitely not as open as out West.

I have already decided I want the mildot reticle. The NH1 and Horus hurt my head, too busy for my tastes.

I will be shooting most of the time probably 100-600 yards. 1000 yard range about 2.5 hours away, probably get there every now and then.

I am planning on doing some deer hunting with the rifle as well. Seems like the brightness of the 3-12 with a 56mm objective would be awesome at dawn and dusk.

Thanks,
Ladd

Re: Which Hensoldt scope for 260?

Ladd,

The 3-12 will give you a tad bit more FOV and a bit ore elevation travel. The 4-16 will give you the higher magnification range.

What I can tell you is, is that the glass clarity makes up for the less magnification of the 3-12. Thats not to say that the 4-16 is bad, but the 3-12 just makes up for its less mag with image quality.

Shoot JRose a PM on here, he has both and has done a direct comparison. But with either scope, its 6 in one hand and half dozen in the other.

Austin @ HDC

4-16.

The 3-12's elevation travel is moot on that caliber seeing as both offer more than you can effectively use.

As far as FOV and image quality, I don't see a real difference myself. Not to say it's not as Austin described, but instead that if there is a difference, it's so small that I don't notice.

I vote for the 4-16, more mag never hurts and its what my .308 AI and my Custom .260 both wear.

Austin's got it right on the nose. The 3-12 will give you a FOV of 120m at 1000m and the 4-16 will give you 87m at 1000m (min mag). For hunting, the wider FOV might be more benficial for you. If you want to do some further paper punching, 600+, the 4-16 will help a bit more. 6 in one and half dozen in the other is right though, both are absolutely top notch in every feature.

I would go for the 4-16 on the 260. The 3-12 does indeed give you 30 mils of elevation as compared to 22.4 mils on the 4-16, but I don't think you are gonna eat it all up with a 260, unless you are planning on pushing the limits out to a mile. However, whichever you choose, I think you will be astounded by the clarity of the glass. I have a 4-16, and I kind of wish I had that NH reticle.

I run the 4-16X56FF on my .260. It wont be my last Hensoldt!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run the 4-16X56FF on my .260. It wont be my last Hensoldt!</div></div>

That is one of the drawbacks of buying a hensoldt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ladd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have already decided I want the mildot reticle. The NH1 and Horus hurt my head, too busy for my tastes.

</div></div>

I have used all three reticles in shooting and cannot conceive of how the NH-1 is busy? The mildot is of course the Daddy of all and the horus can be busy to some individuals. But personally I think the greatness of the NH-1 is that it has such an open FOV but with many reference lines for hold offs and RE throughout the entire reticle at any given magnification. A lot of people are excited about the MSR reticle but if you study it, it's a much busier verion of the NH-1. Plus the entire reticle in the NH-1 illuminate unlike the horus, which only lights up certain mildots, or the MSR, which only illuminates the center crossair.

Not Hensoldt going with S&B 4-16 PM11 on my Sako 260 to start. May switch 5-25 PM11 over from a TRG 22, will see. I do have access to 1000 and the 260 is going to out shine 308 past 600. January delivery didn't happen, but I'm ready when they hit.

I have the 3-12 and I've compared it to some 4-16 scopes (not the Hensoldt though). I'm more than happy with mine but I am keen to have a look at the NH-1. I would suggest you try and get the two scopes side by side. Not a easy thing to do, but you're looking at dropping a lot of dough so best to get as much info as possible.

If only they would offer the NH-1 in the 3-12... it'd be a stella combo.

Im going on a hog hunt in a few weeks, if you want, I'll try and take some illuminated through the scope pics at around 5am for the dawn visual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only they would offer the NH-1 in the 3-12... it'd be a stella combo.</div></div>
Bijan, I'm kind of dragging my feet on my purchase in the off chance that something like that materializes (hint, hint). If they could make that happen, I'd order one today. My rifle is not here yet so it's really no big deal for me.

... How do we make that happen
grin.gif
?

Let me answer this as I just had a 3-12 and it is more than enough to get you to 1K. With the Henny's, the quality is so good the picture really looks great. I hit 3 of 5 shots at 1K with a 308 in high winds with a 12x.

Second, what difference does the caliber make? Zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me answer this as I just had a 3-12 and it is more than enough to get you to 1K. With the Henny's, the quality is so good the picture really looks great. I hit 3 of 5 shots at 1K with a 308 in high winds with a 12x.

Second, what difference does the caliber make? Zero. </div></div>

People like you....you get all the cool kit.

I am kind of surprised by the overwhelming 4-16 recommendation. I anticipated for mostly 100-600 yard shooting, with some hunting thrown in for good measure, the 3-12x56 would be the shoo-in.

I find it interesting that the importer's magnification of choice is the 3-12 (for up to 300 win mag according to Austin) and the vast majority of users here prefer the 4-16 magnification. Maybe Lowlight could share his experience and views?

The NH1 is certainly not as busy as the Horus. But the 4 thicker lines that surround the mil-dot reticle seem to provide almost a ghost ring feel (at 3 or 4x) for close in shots on movers. I must admit I do most of my hunting with iron ghost ring sights, would probably just take some getting used to if I had the NH1. The NH1 is I am sure a more versatile reticle for precision target shooting. However, for natural pointability, being able to see at lower power, and speed, the mil-dot seems more natural to my brain for practical shooting and hunting the Eastern woods.

I really appreciate everyone's posts and opinions. My only real reticle experience is with mil-dot SS scopes and horseshoe ring acogs.

Should I try to give the NH1 a chance? Are my opinions about the mil-dot and NH1 off base? It would be nice to see them both side by side.

Ladd

Ladd,

Just to relay some information. On the 3-12 and the 4-16. Both reticles are 100% usable at the lowest magnification. They are not like some where all your holds disappear, you can still hold with the dots or hashs.

Austin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only they would offer the NH-1 in the 3-12... it'd be a stella combo.</div></div>
Bijan, I'm kind of dragging my feet on my purchase in the off chance that something like that materializes (hint, hint). If they could make that happen, I'd order one today. My rifle is not here yet so it's really no big deal for me.

... How do we make that happen
grin.gif
? </div></div>

Mate, pull the trigger on the 3-12. I've bugged Deadly and Nathan about it and they've said it's settled and only for the 4-16. Call them one last time just to double, triple check, but that's the way it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MILDOT IT IS!!!

grin.gif
</div></div>

Good call....

S&B's new 3-20x56 is probably the most versatile scope on the market today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B's new 3-20x56 is probably the most versatile scope on the market today.</div></div> Care to elaborate?

The power range IMHO. While the 5-25 is nice I prefer the lower end of 3 power and very rarely find myself needing anything in excess of 20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ladd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am kind of surprised by the overwhelming 4-16 recommendation. I anticipated for mostly 100-600 yard shooting, with some hunting thrown in for good measure, the 3-12x56 would be the shoo-in. </div></div>
I don't know why this is a question. If the 4-16x were substantially larger or heavier than the 3-12x, there might be one. Since they are <span style="font-style: italic">roughly </span>the same size and weight, the major differences are the total elevation travel and the low and high power magnifications. With a 40MOA rail, the 4-16x has over 70MOA of up elevation, plenty for very long range shooting well beyond 1km, and it can be dialed down for hunting or whatever! No need for hand wringing on this one, my 260Rem wears a 4-16x FF. If you ever want to use your Hensoldt 4-16x FF on another rifle or for long range shooting, it will have the needed capabilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I can tell you is, is that the glass clarity makes up for the less magnification of the 3-12. Thats not to say that the 4-16 is bad, but the 3-12 just makes up for its less mag with image quality. </div></div>
The Hensoldt spec sheet states that the 4-16x has better image resolution than the 3-12x (3 arc seconds versus 3.75 arc seconds). However, I agree that a 3-12x Hensoldt can see better than many other 4-16x scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B's new 3-20x56 is probably the most versatile scope on the market today. </div></div>

Is this scope even on the market yet?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B's new 3-20x56 is probably the most versatile scope on the market today. </div></div>

Is this scope even on the market yet?????</div></div>

Maybe next year??? Who knows???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B's new 3-20x56 is probably the most versatile scope on the market today. </div></div>

Is this scope even on the market yet????? </div></div>

Its sniper's hide Austin, people recommend non-existant shit all the time. Stir up some hype, and people jump on board-biggest beta testing pool a scope manufacturer could dream of, and people line up to pay full price!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd do 4-16 without a doubt </div></div>

You do realize that Hensoldt is like turning to the dark side.....

Is this scope even on the market yet?????</div></div>

Not yet but I am signed up to be "one of the biggest beta testing pool a scope manufacturer could dream of"
smile.gif
Should be April 2011 if you were wondering. Funny part is even being new it will still probably have less units going back to great customer service to be "tuned" than some well known companies, not speaking of Hendsoldt of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You do realize that Hensoldt is like turning to the dark side..... </div></div>
We have cookies

I have both and might be selling one of them. They are basically the same scope. If I was going hunting, I'd take the 3-12. Also, if I was putting it on a TRG, I would get a Near base and Alpha mount.

April 2011 they say.

Remember, it was at SHOT 2010 (over a year ago)!! Lots of other things were promised for 2010 but not delivered by other manufacturers as well.

That's the truth OEJ. Shit happens and sometimes even the best plans and intentions don't come to pass. Doesn't mean people aren't trying but in today's "GOT TO HAVE IT NOW!" society people get all bent when something isn't there the exact date scheduled.

To the OP, between the two get a 4-16x with the NH1. You'll learn to like it better than a standard mildot.

I've got both the NH1 and Mildot in the 4-16. If you think there's even the slightest possibilty of you having to mil....get the NH1.....otherwise....get the NH1.

If I could send my mildot to deadly to get a reticle swap I would.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remember, it was at SHOT 2010 (over a year ago)!! Lots of other things were promised for 2010 but not delivered by other manufacturers as well. </div></div>

I realize that, but my point was directed at this comment....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B's new 3-20x56 is probably the most versatile scope <span style="font-weight: bold">on the market today</span>. </div></div>

Thats a bold statement to say when the scope hasn't made it into the wild as of yet.

It sounds like the 4-16 NH1 has the most votes.

Can someone please explain how the NH1 reticle improves your shooting/ranging/corrections.

And in reference to "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" - Lowlight....Lowlight....Lowlight.....Lowlight.............

Originally Posted By: sititunga1
S&B's new 3-20x56 is probably the most versatile scope on the market today.

As a photographer, I can say that more available focal length/zoom/magnification does not necessarily translate into a better picture. I will always choose a sharp prime over a mediocre (and usually heavy) super zoom.

I find I am more creative and purposeful with a narrow range zoom or prime. It requires previsualization before pulling the "trigger".
Ladd

I was going to buy one of the new S&B 3-20s. Notice I said <span style="font-style: italic">was</span>.....

I've been running a 4-16 FF Hensoldt for the last year or so. I've used almost everything out there and as far as I'm concerned, nothing can touch it. With that said, the 3-12 is good, too and actually better for multiple targets at multiple distances where you may have to zoom in & out frequently (Steel Safari for example).

I work with several people, like myself, who spend our professional time behind glass, Army and Marines. We all also own and shoot each other's rifle. The glass includes Leupold, S&B, USO, Swarovski, NF,& Hensoldt. I can honestly say the Hensoldt is the standard bearer. I think I put it best one day. Hensoldt's are like crack for your eyes. Once you try it, you're done son

Ladd,

Not that I am aware of.

Best bet would be to see if someone close to you has one that you could check out in person.

Any through the scope pics of the NH1 at 4 power?

I have seen the 16x pics, just curious about reticle visibility at lower mag.

I thought long and hard about this purchase as it is so much $$$. I decided on the 3-12x56 after talking with Hudisco and messaging Lowlight, both people that have used the 3-12 and 4-16 extensively.

I am comfortable with the mil-dot reticle (actually prefer it), more concerned with ease of use, brightness, and not interested in benchrest tiny groups on paper. I primarily hunt with iron sights and shoot my bow with open sights, 12 power is going to seem like a lot!

Thanks for all the comments! Can't wait to get it and the TRG! Now I just have to get a can.

Ladd

Yeah, that 3-12 is very nice. I use the 4-16 on my TRG42 338, and shooting out to a mile, I wish I had a few mils more of elevation. With the 4-16 I can get exactly to a mile with the scope cranked all the way. But I do appreciate the extra magnification that the 4-16 offers over the 3-12. still waiting for the damn tax stamp for my 338 can; over 3 months now.