• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

which reloading press?

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
Its time for me to get a new press. I was looking at the redding Boss, Big Boss and Big Boss II. What is the difference and how do they compare to the Rockchucker supreme?

Re: which reloading press?

If you use the search feature, you'll find a bunch of threads.

But I'll try to help. What calibers do you plan to reload?

Let me sum up the next 100 responses you're going to get.

The Redding T-7 is the best!! (and I agree)

The Forster Co-Ax is the best!! (I don't disagree)

Pick one of those two and go crazy!

I'm not sure I need a turret press, I haven't got that far into the reloading game yet to understand the need for the turret. Does it make reloading 20 or so shells at a time that much easier? I usually load a few then change calibers and load a few more. The biggest caliber I load is 7mmRM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure I need a turret press, I haven't got that far into the reloading game yet to understand the need for the turret. Does it make reloading 20 or so shells at a time that much easier? I usually load a few then change calibers and load a few more. The biggest caliber I load is 7mmRM.</div></div>

This is EXACTLY why you need a T7, it makes loading a few at a time even easier, you never remove/reset the dies, just turn the turret head.

You need a T7, just get over it and order one today, PM me for my address so you can send the thank you card after you use it a few times
smile.gif

The Redding <span style="font-style: italic">Big Boss</span> is an oversized version of the <span style="font-style: italic">Boss</span>, except that it has a removable bushing to accept oversized dies (and the Hornady LnL bushing conversion). The <span style="font-style: italic">Big Boss II</span> is a modified version having a thru-the-ram primer disposal facility. These presses are designed to handle full-sized magnums. The T-7 turret press has a similar capacity. The <span style="font-style: italic">Boss</span> is designed to handle 06-sized cases and smaller. A visit to the Redding website will verify these assessments.

The older RockChuckers were good quality pieces of similar capacity to the <span style="font-style: italic">Boss</span>, but were designed to handle swaging practices, not needed with jacketed bullets. The newest version, the Supreme, doesn't live up to its forebear's reputation, being loosely fitted and of off-shore origin. Look around for documentation.

www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php...rue#Post1077314

You guys always make me spend more money than planned, but oh-well. T7 it is.
Its nice to have a place to ask questions and get real answers fast.

Forster Co-Ax. Most accurate press I've ever used! 2 second die changes are also very nice...

"...20 or so shells at a time that much easier? I usually load a few then change calibers and load a few more."

Sounds like you load like me. I've been doing it since '65, started with a (Lyman) six hole turret because it would "obviously" be faster, right? Wrong. I finally set it aside and have used single stage presses for all my rifle work over the last 25+ years.

Why? Two reasons.

One, precision is lessened. There is NO way a turret can be indexed laterally as accurately from hole-to-hole as a fixed single stage is. And the turret HAS to have at least a little bit of slop, or spring in the mechanism, or the turret couldn't turn, right? Die hole-to-ram misalignment and/or turret spring is no help for precision work.

Two, loading speed is really no better. Swapping dies in a turret takes the same amount of time for two to four at once or one at a time on a single stage. Swapping those massive turret heads in a T-7 press seems impractical, and VERY expensive, to me.

Today, I only use my old turret for hand gun stuff and that just for nostalgia's sake. It's an old friend but it's no faster, so,...???

For the cartridges you list you will find no lack of capacity or quality with any of the single stage Reddings.

I have a Rock Chucker II but wouldn't buy it again, especially since their body castings are now made in China. Why should I pay their elivated price so RCBS can have a greater profit margin and lose US jobs in the process? Redding's are made in the USA!

Forster's Coax is a great press (as are their excellant dies) but with a significant user handicap; the lever comes straight out and that limits freedom of movement at the press more than I like. Also, I prefer to use a mix of special purpose dies, in mixed brands, so getting a bunch of Forster lock rings for all those I use would amount to more money than the "quick change" die system is worth to me.

A Harrel's press would be great I guess ... if I was a deadly serious competion shooter who could afford a batch of those expensive turret heads set up for all my cartidges, ready to go. I'm neither. But I think I can precision reload just as well on MUCH less expensive presses!

I have a Dillon RL 550B for bulk loading of .45 ACP and .223 Rem. I have been very happy with the consistency and accuracy of the ammo I have produced on this press. It can be a little pain in the ass to get a new caliber up and running smoothly but once you do it's worth it for the volume of accurate ammo you can produce.

I recently retired my Redding Big Boss press after 25+ years of reloading match-level ammo for a variety of calibers. For the most accurate .308 loads I replaced it with a Forster Co-Ax press that so far I am extremely pleased with. Hard to go wrong with any of the presses mentioned in this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jasmck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the Harrell's Precision turret press? It is worth looking at. </div></div>
The small, lightweight presses are designed to be portable for BR shooters who reload at the range. For general purpose, a cast iron press is rigid, durable and wear resistant.