• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why do we love the MK12 so much?

Because reasons...
282C11C2-EAAF-4F02-94AA-C82CFFBDE535.jpeg

I don't know what's not to like. It's just a step away from basically every other shooting/combat discipline.

Talking about dodic ammo... with 77gr it's got a .1xx BC difference from the sr25 with 118lr at a faster velocity.
Take the can off and it's a usable 3 gun rifle
It's a few inches away from being cqb rifle, and is still usable as such
It's not too heavy for hunting pigs or deer

If I could only own one rifle, it'd be very similar to a mk12.

Edit: read through some posts. Definitely some great points about 14.5 urg’s filling the role ok, especially when outfitted with the mk6 kit. That being said, it’s a proof of concept and suggests that some sort of program of record that supports a squad level sniperish rifle that doesn’t differ too much from the other guns should exist. Even the big army has issued similar equipment as a stop gap, check out the 3rd ID spr’s

Last edited:
My opinion on the shorter vs. xxxx has a lot to do with either the theater most end users spent the most time in or as a civie, what the real intended use is. I don’t think I have ever heard anyone who spent a lot of time in A-Stan say they wish they had a shorter rifle with less ability to reach out there. They spent a lot of time in the cities of Iraq or (insert Shithole country here) and a 10.3-14.5 makes a lot more sense.

As a guy who wears jeans to work, I have all of them, and enjoy them all for various reasons but only one really does pistol distance to 750y well. They could have fluted the damn barrel though. I prefer to carry my 12.5”, but if I had to leave the house with only one there is no question that of all of the shit that I have it would be one of the mk12s. If I was shooting 3gun, it would stay in the safe...

Ordered a PRI Mod H Sunday. Now the 90 day wait. Hopefully the AEM5 gets restocked at Capitol by that time.

I can't believe I'm at that point in life where I keep thinking to myself "sigh - should have bought a Leupold Mk4 back before they were discontinued."

I can't believe I'm at that point in life where I keep thinking to myself "sigh - should have bought a Leupold Mk4 back before they were discontinued."
I honestly don’t miss that optic. Only reason i wish I’d kept mine is considering the price they’re going for now i could’ve made 100% profit. 1/2 MOA clicks and a TMR reticle. Definitely the weak link in that system. NXS 2.5-10x32 or 2.5-10x42 is currently what I’m planning. In the meantime since the XM3 is nowhere near done I’m going to use the 3-15x50 F1 on it.

Even then the 2.5-10x36mm trijicon credo or PST Gen II would honestly be more favorable in my eyes than the leupold. Don’t get me wrong it was a good option but the miss match in click value and reticle is just a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Don’t get me wrong it was a good option but the miss match in click value and reticle is just a deal breaker for me.

This is how many of us learned. Probably most over the age of 35 here cut their teeth on mixed systems. It’s not complicated and when you are using this type of system as designed you’d probably set the zero and use hold over/under with your range card as you’re likely not going to have time to dial anyway.

Matched turrets make a lot sense but all but two of my scopes are mixed and though I don’t claim to be particularly good at this shit it works. I will admit, my F1 with NP-R1 is probably faster than any other scope I have for 100-1000y shooting without touching a turret.

You can train through it if you want to, but I guess it’s really not necessary with the re-issue on the 24mm units and the availability of the 32 and 42mm.

This is how many of us learned. Probably most over the age of 35 here cut their teeth on mixed systems. It’s not complicated and when you are using this type of system as designed you’d probably set the zero and use hold over/under with your range card as you’re likely not going to have time to dial anyway.

Matched turrets make a lot sense but all but two of my scopes are mixed and though I don’t claim to be particularly good at this shit it works. I will admit, my F1 with NP-R1 is probably faster than any other scope I have for 100-1000y shooting without touching a turret.

You can train through it if you want to, but I guess it’s really not necessary with the re-issue on the 24mm units and the availability of the 32 and 42mm.

I agree it's doable just kind of pointless this day in age outside of staying clone correct. Of course an anecdotal argument and I'm making liberties here, one could argue the entire system is just that, this day in age :ROFLMAO: but I do love the rifle.

I truthfully would love the little thing if it was 2/10th Mil. I've had one mishap with that particular scope hunting because all my rifles are setup Mil/Mil, vowed never again and have been weening the fam off of MOA since I now have all of them (even the GF) into it. User error? Absolutely. Consolidated because it was the one optic in the safe that wasn't Mil? Also yes. Nothing wrong with MOA either I was fortunate enough to start 12 years ago with a Mil/Mil SN-3. To turn around an play a bit of a hypocrite if it had been Mil clicks with an MOA reticle I wouldn't mind it so much.

You also just reminded me that I'm 30. Shit time flies. I was sitting here thinking I'm only 29 and was like wait...oh yea.

Reactions: FatBoy
I honestly don’t miss that optic.

Oh I get it - I built mine in 2012 for OIF nostalgia, but hated the optic so much that I just kind of re-imagined it with a modern optic. But lately I find myself unexplainably longing for that stupid banged-up Loopy. Sure, the rifle feels a lot like what I trusted my life with, but I can't help but look at it like it's missing something. Like a step-child you raised, but who clearly is more his biological father than you.

Reactions: 5RWill
Oh I get it - I built mine in 2012 for OIF nostalgia, but hated the optic so much that I just kind of re-imagined it with a modern optic. But lately I find myself unexplainably longing for that stupid banged-up Loopy. Sure, the rifle feels a lot like what I trusted my life with, but I can't help but look at it like it's missing something. Like a step-child you raised, but who clearly is more his biological father than you.

tenor (8).gif

• Haha
Reactions: reubenski
I agree it's doable just kind of pointless this day in age outside of staying clone correct. Of course an anecdotal argument and I'm making liberties here, one could argue the entire system is just that, this day in age :ROFLMAO: but I do love the rifle.

I truthfully would love the little thing if it was 2/10th Mil. I've had one mishap with that particular scope hunting because all my rifles are setup Mil/Mil, vowed never again and have been weening the fam off of MOA since I now have all of them (even the GF) into it. User error? Absolutely. Consolidated because it was the one optic in the safe that wasn't Mil? Also yes. Nothing wrong with MOA either I was fortunate enough to start 12 years ago with a Mil/Mil SN-3. To turn around an play a bit of a hypocrite if it had been Mil clicks with an MOA reticle I wouldn't mind it so much.

You also just reminded me that I'm 30. Shit time flies. I was sitting here thinking I'm only 29 and was like wait...oh yea.
Wait till you hit your late 30's and you look back at your 30 year old self like "that fuck'n guy was an idiot".

The Holland is nothing special. BA barrel and basic parts. Only things really correct are the rings, rail, GB, and handguard.
Shoots 69 SMKs very well

The mod 1 is much more correct. I can't take credit for putting it together, but the guy I got it from went all out.
I did manage to find this gem for it though.
jOFduoG.jpg

Loves 77 TMKs over 23.5 XBR. I don't think I'll have the elevation to take it back out to 1000, but with the x50 nightforce and 20 moa mount, I was at 12.7 mils at 1000 yards.

Reactions: greg1147
Wanted to clone one and just built an upper with a Kriger barrel and ran with it. Wanted one when I was in, and if the opportunity arose, would get one. I have an upper with a 14.5” Noveske Afghan barrel that shoots lights out too.
bought a LaRue PredatOBR with the 18” barrel and it is great to shoot.

just have quite a few different clubs in the golf bag now,

Last edited:
Loves 77 TMKs over 23.5 XBR. I don't think I'll have the elevation to take it back out to 1000, but with the x50 nightforce and 20 moa mount, I was at 12.7 mils at 1000 yards.

I think you’ll be surprised. I run the NXS MOA/mildot 24mm in 1.3” Nightforce rings (0 additional MOA) I’m at 40.0MOA to 1k with 77SMks over 24.4gr RL15 in Wolf brass cases. This little scope has a shot load of internal elevation.

I think you’ll be surprised. I run the NXS MOA/mildot 24mm in 1.3” Nightforce rings (0 additional MOA) I’m at 40.0MOA to 1k with 77SMks over 24.4gr RL15 in Wolf brass cases. This little scope has a shot load of internal elevation.
Fingers crossed. Every little bit helps when trying to stretch 223 that far at 150 ft above sea level

Fingers crossed. Every little bit helps when trying to stretch 223 that far at 150 ft above sea level

With your load You’re probably 75-100 FPS faster than I am with a better BC. I’m at like 490 AMSL. 1k full sized IPSC is actually pretty easy,,,,, at dusk and dawn :). If there is a buffer fly fart of wind all bets are off, at least with my wind skills.

Pay close attention to your head position. The 24mm , at least mine, has significant parallax at 500 and beyond. The 32mm I run doesn’t suffer from this.

Edit: in the video he was running either a M3 or M2 variable. They cut him adjusting parallax, but he certainly did once past 300. I originally ran an M3 vari-x and love it but I can engage targets significantly faster with the compact NXSs from 50y to 600 using reticle holds. I never got comfortable using the M3 like that because of the image when parallax wasn’t set. In a perfect world I’d run a 32mm with the NP-R1. Not sure they exist...

10# spec is “optimistic “ :)

Last edited:
Reactions: shlouf
Its really hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of paying 1300 for a leupold that is 15 years old... The optics on the market nowadays in the price range beat it in every aspect across the board. Again, to each their own. They are nice rifles, and im sure they shoot great. I just cant understand the cost vs performance with todays options. That being said i have some old handguns that arent anything up to todays standards. The are unique in their own right, and thats why i have them.
I’ve built all 3. Agree with your point on the MK4. Sold all mine. Kept the Mod 1 and put a NF 3.5-15 on it.

Mod 0 was pure sex but the Mod 1 is the best shooter so that’s why I kept it

Top to Bottom

MK12 Mod 0
MK12 Mod 1
MK12 Mod H
MRE-ish
2163C668-9531-456E-9256-57F96819BC2B.jpeg

"MRE-ish"?? What dat?
Kind of a spin off of the delta MRE. Not really a clone
"MRE-ish"?? What dat?
Not really a clone of anything. Idea started with the early GWOT CAG MRE build, but with some changes. 15.1” Compass Lake Recon contour, AEMB and collar, ARMS 38 sex rail.

Bottom rifle
8AD0B9BA-398E-488F-B43E-7FC9FF0EB519.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s an interesting rail/block in front of the front sight. I don’t know that I have ever seen that before.

I have wondered as long as I have looked at MK12's, why did they leave the gas block exposed and not use a longer rail? I haven't dedicated much time to finding this answer for myself, I must admit.
Backup irons mounted to block originally?

I have wondered as long as I have looked at MK12's, why did they leave the gas block exposed and not use a longer rail? I haven't dedicated much time to finding this answer for myself, I must admit.
The exposed GB isn’t uncommon. if you think about it, the GB for any FSP rifle is exposed, along with the MK12 Mod 0, Mod 1, OG SR25, Mk11, and M110.

Reactions: McMayor and FatBoy
With your load You’re probably 75-100 FPS faster than I am with a better BC. I’m at like 490 AMSL. 1k full sized IPSC is actually pretty easy,,,,, at dusk and dawn :). If there is a buffer fly fart of wind all bets are off, at least with my wind skills.

Pay close attention to your head position. The 24mm , at least mine, has significant parallax at 500 and beyond. The 32mm I run doesn’t suffer from this.

Edit: in the video he was running either a M3 or M2 variable. They cut him adjusting parallax, but he certainly did once past 300. I originally ran an M3 vari-x and love it but I can engage targets significantly faster with the compact NXSs from 50y to 600 using reticle holds. I never got comfortable using the M3 like that because of the image when parallax wasn’t set. In a perfect world I’d run a 32mm with the NP-R1. Not sure they exist...

10# spec is “optimistic “ :)

id really just like to find the NXS 32mm in mils. i like the np-r1 but would snap up a mil-r in a heartbeat.

id really just like to find the NXS 32mm in mils. i like the np-r1 but would snap up a mil-r in a heartbeat.

May be your lucky day

• Wow
Reactions: clcustom1911
May be your lucky day

Wish it was the 32mm

I'm a fan of the 32mm. Although mine is the plain Mil Dot. Kinda wish I could get a MD 2.0, but I didn't like the Mil-R at 10X so I went with the Mil Dot.View attachment 7649315

Do you have any issues seeing the red dot over the turret? What mount/red dot are you running?

Do you have any issues seeing the red dot over the turret? What mount/red dot are you running?
No. It's a Burris FF3 in their 30mm mount. The top of the red dot body is planar with the top of the turret. As soon as you can peak over the top of the turret you can see the dot.

ETA: the view through the dot for anyone interested.
20190907_111325.jpg

Last edited:
made a few changes to mine the more I shot it.
Its getting less and less "correct" but I'm tailoring it to my use. I like the new paint a lot, but MAN does it look horrible until it gets all scuffed and worn in.

FINALLY got my AEM out of jail.
Added a flush cup in the stock so I could use a good sling
Added a LAW Folder because it fixed the super short LOP and well... folding guns are awesome.
Sold the Premier and threw on a NF4-20 ATACR because the reticle is SO much better for my use.

I will say, the 31-5 G2Mil was so much more usable up close on 3x and the NF is dogshit from 4-6x... so I do miss that part. I actually tried running it in a carbine class a few weeks ago and while it would have been halfway decent with the 3-15, it was ROUGH with the NF so I may try to add an RMR or something. Either on top or offset and keep the clone incorrectness going.
GCP_7354.jpg
GCP_6907-2.jpg

Yeah I have a 4-16 atacr on mine. I'll never change it, I love it. You can't expect to keep it 100% correct and actually shoot it in matches. Scopes were garbage compared to today's.

Reactions: gconnoyer
Scopes were garbage compared to today's.
Oh god yes. As much as I initially wanted to make mine as correct as possible for nostalgic reasons, I just couldn’t bring myself to pay money for the Leupold optic I hated so much.

Reactions: gconnoyer
I had a delta point red dot I was actually going to put on the sphur mount, but it ended up and found a home on my m17 the other day.

Those guns shoot so good, it's just a shame to put a shitty scope on it