• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why Not Use Burris Signature Rings?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
After seeing how the Burris Signature rings work, I wonder why anyone would buy anything else. I recognize that many higher priced rings are exceedingly well made, and I do appreciate that, but the Signature rings offer cheap and easily adjustable MOA, no scope marring, no requirement for lapping, and cost about half as much as the more expensive rings.

The Signature rings do not appear to be as popular as I would expect given the apparent advantages, so am thinking I must be missing something. ??? I would be putting on an AR15, and they don't have much of a tactical look to them, but that is the only thing my novice mind can see that is really wrong with them for this application.

- Phil

Re: Why Not Use Burris Signature Rings?

Burris Signature Zee Rings are for light to medium duty use. Just look at the locking screw compared to Badger Rings or Leo Mk4, for example. Which means the the Burris are fine for us Mall Ninja's, paper punchers, and hunters. I have them on a Kimber 22lr myself.

However, on any rifle intended for actual Combat, or for LEO use, and for serious competitions where hard abuse is expected, sterner rings are required...IMHO

What I'd like to see is somebody making a robust ring that accepts the Signature bushings, or something plenty much like 'em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'd like to see is somebody making a robust ring that accepts the Signature bushings, or something plenty much like 'em. </div></div>

I agree with you 100%.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'd like to see is somebody making a robust ring that accepts the Signature bushings, or something plenty much like 'em. </div></div>
+2

I run them on my F gun, and it looks like they saved my Nightforce from getting seriously kinked a couple of weeks ago. The front ring got bent sideways when the rifle was run over, but the bushings pivoted so the tube didn't get bent.

I have managed to overtorque crossbolts twice. It's a real pisser to have the crossbolt twist in half, but I've learned to carry backups! I'd sure love to see a Badger style version.

I spoke with someone the other day that was using them on a 50BMG and said they were fine. I was actually looking for a solution for 50BMG and was wondering if you could use 4 of them (how the angle thing works with 4 rings per scope?). On my 308 the offset base is not much, and you can good Warne steel rings for $35. On the 50bmg the offset bases I and to choice from where just 0 and 30moa, I went another route and used 4 standard rings.

I use em on my 338Edge with a 5.5-22 Nightforce,with no brake. They hold great and no marks. Got em on all my Rifles and Pistols.
Guns1041.jpg

Guns1049.jpg

I have them on my .300 WM...no complaints.

I went with XTRs on my other rifles just because they looked better on that style of rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have them on all my rifles. From a 10/22 to my Tubb & even my GAP. Works for me. I would like to see inserts for the 30mm in something more than 0 though. </div></div>

There is .05 and .10 i have both.

I've always like the idea of them and like Greg, wished they had a HD version. I have very knowledgable friends that swear by them but I have never got past the fact that the inserts are a softer material and will "give" like in the post earlier where that "give" saved the scope. What if in a different circumstance it gave just a little and you couldn't tell by just looking? Maybee its not worth worrying about but its the reason I havn't used them yet.

okie

Whoa, back up...

Two sets of Signature Zee rings? What a great idea!

May require a bit of tape to accomodate slope (between insert and ring as a thin shim value - common vinyl electrical tape has a nominal shim thickness of 5 mils <that's .005">. If I were going to do this, I would place the tape between the bottom ring half of the rear one of each ring set pair, and the insert/scope tube setup. One layer may or may not be enough, or even too much, but the 'give' of the vinyl might make this less of a headache, precision-wise.). Two sets of Zee's should begin to approach the durabilty of something more 'Tacticool'. Only real problem I see is finding enough room on the scope tube, etc...

Greg

Three rings is common on Encore "Big-bore" pistols, I've always used "zero" insert when doing that. If already using a sloped base, you shouldn't need the offset inserts?...

(Edited to add), I've stripped those base screws, too. I drill and tapped one set of bases for 8-32's after the 6-40 hole stripped out (not the screw), and backed that up with a locknut on the outside. Biggest problem with that idea was the rail grooves had to be "opened up" for the #8 screw. But it is not going anywhere....

Cheers,

Bill

I don't use anything else. My guns see average use and get knocked around in the mountains, and the Signature rings have been nothing but reliable.

I've used ofsetting inserts to mimic a 20 moa base on my Magnum Research 10/22 - works like a charm!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil@TPSproducts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TPS has already done the burris posi-align ring compatible insert design in the past. We’re planning on re-introducing these in the fall.

Phil
</div></div>
Would love to see that- especially in the aluminium version.

I would almost certainly buy these now, if available. Especially, if they look like the existing TPS rings. But, need something now...

- Phil

Phil@TPSproducts said:
TPS has already done the burris posi-align ring compatible insert design in the past. We’re planning on re-introducing these in the fall.

Phil

If they come in alluminum and look like the current TPS rings I'm in for a bunch of 30mm.

Humm........aluminum and plastic, not sure if I'll ever see that as acceptable when mounting optics. Like I said though, I could be wrong, its happened before
wink.gif

okie

I like the solid Sako ringmounts even better. They are foolproof.

http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?ringmounts

They also make ringmounts for Tikka that fits the factory rails on Sako TRG.

The only limitation with the ringmounts is the choice of scopes, especially on Sako.

The ringmounts are 30% cheaper than the regular Sako/Tikka mounts

I have used them on my 300 ultra mag and my 6.5-284 f class rifle. Never had a problem with them coming lose or POI moving what so ever. I used them for the extra 7.5 MOA per .005" they give since a Black Diamond only has 52 MOA to begin with.

I agree that they need a more "tracticool" look. I still use a Nightforce or Badger style for serious work though. The Zee rings don't look as strong. Maybe it's just a mental thing but I like to give myself that extra piece of mind and know they are not going to move.

Well, goes to show:

There really isn't anything new under the Sun, and..

Great minds actually do think alike...

(Chuckle..., Snarfle...)