• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Why shoot coyotes?

boudin

Minuteman
Nov 2, 2009
Augusta, GA
My dad just forwarded me an email with these pictures of monster buck in Oklahoma being taken down by a couple coyotes. My wife has always questioned my dad and I's stance on coyotes, primarily because she lived in Jackson Hole, WY for a stint and fell in line with the folks that think they're "pretty to see when you're out hiking"... this is the side that's not so pretty to look at and one that most of the glassing hikers aren't privy to. Now that I've got her good-and-hooked on venison, she's come to understand the role of hunters in land/game management and little better, and these pictures really serve to solidify our perspective on why you don't let a song dog walk.

Choot 'em Liz....

241.jpg

325.jpg

329.jpg

331.jpg

334.jpg

342.jpg

Re: Why shoot coyotes?

But that's not what I saw in ANY of the Disney movies?!?

Nature is truly beautiful you just have to understand what makes it so and take that with the truth.

Unfortunately so many of the people who only know nature through Disney or the other list of "Nature" shows are the ones who push the policies that give us the wolves killing the Elk and coyotes threatening whitetail populations and house pets in suburbia

Well we will chalk that up as another reason to shoot them. I have picked up more dead sheep and calves that I ever wanted to.

I never hesitate to pulling the trigger on one. Heck most of the land I shoot on I was told by the owners. I lose my rights to the land if they catch me not shooting at them. So I always shoot unless it is truly unsafe. I told one guy that I could have shot at one but it was between me and your girls playing out side. I tried to move on it to make it a safe shot but it got away. He was ok with that.

That's a shame, they got such a big buck. They're hell on the deer populations as well as quail and rabbits too. Might be a reason why my Uncle gave up rabbit hunting after 40+ years of owning beagles! Every coyote you see should get a lethal dose of lead poisoning!

Nice buck but the coyotes are just doing what coyotes do. Its nature. That being said, I have no issue popping them when I see them.

Damn, looking at the slide show, seems like the poor bastard endured a sustained attack before finally falling.

that is some pretty fortuitous camera placement! Thanks for sharing these pics.

I completely understand that it's a part of nature. I've just always wondered how realistic the notion of coyotes taking deer down was, as a justification for waxing 'em. This really served to substantiate claims that I've heard for years, but never witnessed. To boot, I always thought 'yotes only posed a threat to younger, smaller deer, but that's obviously not the case.

I have a hard time believing that a buck like that was taken down by a couple of coyotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hard time believing that a buck like that was taken down by a couple of coyotes. </div></div>

Come to the heartland. It happens to cows as well as deer. Believe it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hard time believing that a buck like that was taken down by a couple of coyotes. </div></div>
A single coyote would probably let the deer go but two or more are always a threat. They will run a larger animal until it is exhausted and then you see the rest in the pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice buck but the coyotes are just doing what coyotes do. Its nature. That being said, I have no issue popping them when I see them. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Come to the heartland. It happens to cows as well as deer. Believe it. </div></div>

Here the damn things are everywhere, catty as hell, will NOT come in to a call, and scarce when a rifle is in hand. We've lost over 30 lambs in the past 12 months, as well as 3 new born calves last spring. On just this 280 acre farm I've killed 2, my buddy has killed one, another guy has killed 3, and the state trapper has killed 18 with poison, since last December. Yet lambs are still getting killed and you can hear the yotes just about every night.

The deer, however, seem to be doing just fine...........

Many people who say this is just part of nature, and that the coyote is just making a living like all the rest of nature's beutiful animals, don't realize that coyotes usually eat big game <span style="font-style: italic"> alive</span>. They start at the tail and work up. They don't tear out the throat, or break the neck, ensuring a clean kill. They just cripple the animal and start eating.

Coyotes are deadly predators. They have to be to survive.

While out lion hunting early this year we came upon this fresh coyote kill. Found it because magpies flew out of the draw as we went by.
423.jpg

419.jpg

As you can see,although not suffering as much as the buck in the OP, the deer suffered trauma to his rear legs, then was taken down.

On large prey,as said before, coyotes start eating from the rear, frequently while the prey is still alive. If the method of feeding isn't enough to say coyote, the deer was examined for signs of a lion kill. There were none.

And we brought the <span style="text-decoration: underline">experts</span> in. Ran two lion dogs around the carcass, not a single bark indicating lion scent was heard.

This next coyote was tearing up the deer on a ranch I hunt. Rancher was finding dead deer weekly in the draws and creek bottoms. Again, magpies were the key to locating the carcasses.

No lions on the place, too far out in the plains. I told him it was most likely a coyote or two. He asked me to try to find the culprit.

Just at daylight I snuck into a bedding area in greasewood covered flats. Sat my Airedale up on a hill above the flats to the south.

I waited until the sun had risen just enough to light up the flats and howled one time. I saw this coyote sit up about 500 yards out, looking around. He turned away from us and I howled again, he swiveled his head and located the direction of the howl.

It was obvious that he saw the dog on the hill and came to investigate.

Without all the details, he took a 115 grains Barnes TSX from a .25-06 through his right shoulder and out behind his left ribs.

380.jpg

When Purdy and I examined him, his belly was bulging with fresh vension, hair and bones. Rancher hasn't lost anymore deer since this guy was killed.

However, on the same ranch, the rancher sees packed up coyotes kill floundering antelope that have broken through the crusted snow, as the coyotes lope along on top.

He reports that the coyotes don't always eat what they kill when he sees this event occur. To the observer, it seems to be just for fun at times.

I kill them for fur, to help ranchers who lose animals to them, to introduce kids to predator calling and for sport.

That's a 62 pound Airedale by the way.

Pretty much calling Bullshit on the kill, especially on the whitetail. It would be 1-in a Million for two coyotes to attack and kill a healthy mature whitetail buck or mule deer for that matter.

Besides predators don't attack/ kill the ass, they will eventually have to work towards the neck. Both the mule deer and whitetail appear to be just eat/ scavenged for the most part.

But nature is nature and she doesn't discriminate based on antler size or age. And for all the P.E.T.A folks she is never as humane as a bullet, even a misguided one......

i live 75 miles north of you,it happens all the time especially near the end of the rut when the deer are worn down. kill them all,then shoot them again for me. THX T.M. Inc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty much calling Bullshit on the kill, especially on the whitetail. It would be 1-in a Million for two coyotes to attack and kill a healthy mature whitetail buck or mule deer for that matter.

Besides predators don't attack/ kill the ass, they will eventually have to work towards the neck. Both the mule deer and whitetail appear to be just eat/ scavenged for the most part.

</div></div>

Don't get out of the house much do ya......or pay attention to critical parts of a conversation.

As alluded to already, and confirmed by the natural order of the stinking damn coyote, healthy or not an animal can be run nearly to death, literally, and put in such a state of fatigue that killing it is virtually a snap.

ALL of the coyote kills I've seen personally, sheep, calves, deer, ALL have the most damage to the hind quarters...meaning that's where the attack is concentrated...on the least defensable part of the body....AFTER of course, they do what they do, which is run them as far and as long as it takes to weaken them enough to kill them.

That slide show is 220 photos long, beginning to end....that's a lot of photoshopping if it's BS.

Don't be so sure Single shot. We have very large bodied deer in Illinios. Not quite as large as Canada but close. I have personally witnessed this on large healthy deer. It is more common on run down bucks after the rut. This set of pictures is exactly how the coyotes slowly brought down a deer that would dress 200 pounds. The instance I witnessed there were 5 dogs working together. I have also seen first hand trail cam pics of the coyotes work in the spring. One camera by a den captured 13 fawns beeing taken in a 3 week period.

That is pretty neat how it is caught on camera. Coyotes can do tons of damage to big game along with livestock, especially here in ND towards end of a long winter where the deer are exhausted and can't get around near as good through the snow as the coyotes.

I grew up on a large, working ranch in the Big Bend area of Texas. My family has lost literally thousands of sheep due to coyote predation. In one year alone, we had 400 lambs killed by coyotes despite our best efforts to fight them with traps, snares, hunting them from helicopters, and hounds. They reproduce as fast as you can kill them.

I've told people here in the big city about the 400 lambs killed figure and have been told that number is simply preposterous...can't be real...there's just no way. I once had a guy who worked on wolf re-introduction efforts in Montana and Idaho tell me that I was lying and that my inflated figures were typical of ranchers who skewed numbers in an effort to misguide people. He told me that in a "just" world, people who killed coyotes or wolves would be put in prison where they belonged. We nearly had a fistfight.

People who have never had to make a living from the land sometimes refuse to believe that those poor little coyotes could do so much damage. They can. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Me, I'm just a city boy.............
crazy.gif

Rthur, your correct, post rut deer are routinely killed by apex predators. But the WT sequence was taken in Aug potentially the healthiest time of the year for that deer. The Mule deer is speculation but I was mainly referring to the first.

I'm not saying the photos were Photoshopped the dogs got a good meal that night. I just stating, that buck was most likely already injured. It has been presented as if the dogs attacked and killed a awesome buck in his prime. I seriously doubt the TWO yotes ran that deer to the point of exhaustion, possible anything is possible but I will call BS all day.

Of course all you saw (past tense) was the damage to the ass, I all ready stated that......

Dont get the wrong impression, I've killed hundreds and will continue to blast the little fucker every chance I get. But they do serve a purpose, and should not be removed completely from any ecosystem.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="color: #000099">I shoot coyotes because I can! </span> </span> </span>

Year round seasons, no bag limits, extremely intelligent & challenging, and deer season only last a couple weeks here!
wink.gif

I can and still make money "working" the land. Please......

I currently have a piece of property, just a hobby farm of 10K acres, and we don't have any yotes.I am the first to say it would be better off with a few.

They won't walk past me without my stick bark'n I can tell you that. I relish the moment I get to turn one inside out. If I run out of bullets I'll just run the bastards over with my YOYO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I currently have a piece of property, just a hobby farm of 10K acres, and we don't have any yotes.I am the first to say it would be better off with a few.
</div></div>
thats a hell of a hobby farm there singleshot...LOL...
i do agree with your thoughts on the coyotes killing a healthy deer, i would be willing to bet alot of $$$ the whitetail was sick or wounded of some sort before the dogs started the killing, i have hunted coyotes my whole life, got some great footage and some crazy pics, seen some even crazier shit, and have yet to actually see a coyote take down a healthy full grown buck, not post rut, not one with blue tongue, or CWD, but a full out healthy buck, i've seen em predate on wounded, weak, diseased animals as well as yearlings and fawns... I am not saying it hasn't happened, but it "usually" doesn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">people in SD are smart...... you must be a city boy also </div></div>
LMAO, if you call being 35 miles from the nearest "village" a city boy... then yes sir.

Yotes aren't a problem up here anymore. Wolves seem to hate them more than
we do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have a piece of property, just a hobby farm of 10K acres, and we don't have any yotes.I am the first to say it would be better off with a few.
</div></div>

I am certain all the ranchers between Hondo and El Paso who still raise livestock for a living (and not just a tax exemption) would be happy to let you have theirs at no cost.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have a piece of property, just a hobby farm of 10K acres, and we don't have any yotes. </div></div>

Singleshot85,

OOOOH! OOOOH! (hand raised)
My turn, MY TURN, to call <span style="color: #FF0000">Bullshit</span> with a Capital B.
laugh.gif

You're west of San Antonio and on 10K acres and you claim you don't have "any"
crazy.gif
coyotes...please.

I've hunted South Texas, Tilden and Christine. I know that's not in your "backyard" exactly but it (your post quoted above) <span style="text-decoration: underline">sounds like </span>you're saying Kinney County or maybe it's just <span style="text-decoration: underline">your</span> 10K acres don't have "any" coyotes. I'm sure TX P&W would disagree.

Did you mean "many" and it was a typo? I could live with that. Easy to do and understand.

Maybe the "bullshit" flag you threw and the manner you threw it was a little excessive and you meant to type "In my experience" or "In my opinion". I think that's what got some folks stirred up a little.
wink.gif

I'm not trying to anger you, just trying to help <span style="text-decoration: underline">everyone</span> tone it down a little. I always try to read my post before I hit "send" in case I might be misinterpreted. It happens.

There are some guys on here, including me, who have been calling and killing coyotes LONG before you were born. ALL my kids are older than you (using a 1985 year of birth).
shocked.gif

A couple on here do it for a living. I'm not going to argue with their experience.

I ran through the entire slideshow of the deer attack from the original post. I find it to be unusual to have so much of the attack caught on camera. But stuff happens that none of us can explain. Just because it can't be explained or seems unusual doesn't mean it IS bullshit. Maybe the deer was used to hitting a feeder there and was comfortable with the area. We don't have the whole story. Probably never will. He darn sure may have been previously injured.

Because digital photography is easily modified by some people (NOT me) I can understand anyone's tendency to be a skeptic.

I'm a retired homicide supervisor and former SWAT sniper. I've seen some pretty crazy things, but we didn't use digital photography on crime scenes because it hadn't been invented yet. I've got a skepticism bred through many (34 at this point) years of seeing things go on in the world most wouldn't ever see or comprehend COULD occur. I don't like digital photography because we DON'T have a negative to back it up, but that's the way things are today. I have to adapt.

Anyway, you're welcome to your opinion. And I hope you get some coyotes on your hobby farm. They are a hoot to call. Bobcats at night with a spotlight in S. Texas are a blast as well.

By the way, I'm <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">ecstatic</span></span> that OSU smoked OU this year.

As a true Texican, if you start now, you can hate OU early for next year! (I've got family/friends in Austin, Fort Worth, Dallas, Coleman,Pflugerville, Seguin, Dripping Springs and Corsicana)

PS, my rancher buddy (from the airedale pics)on his 95K acre working cattle ranch routinely uses a motorcycle to check cattle. He also routinely chase/runs coyotes until they can't run anymore, then stabs them with a pocketknife, stomps them or bashes them with a rock. He says when their rear end starts to wobble, they're about done. I'm willing to believe the coyotes know the same about deer and antelope.

Merry Christmas to all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can and still make money "working" the land. Please......

</div></div>

I call BS on no yotes on 10K acres, how the hell would you know whats all on your 15.6 sections of land?

I hunted on his place for 4 days 3 nights and never heard the first dog day or night. Before you go throwing rocks I'd say lower the BS flag a little. He's a straight up guy. Not everyone lies on the internet. Just the other 95%. The other possibility is that they knew I was in town and got the hell out before I could my hands on them.

Its funny, I hunt and have been around when people shot coyotes, I never have, always felt a little bad about shooting them just to shoot them. I never cared if others shoot them though, I just dont or didn't care. My choice not to shoot them was personal. After pictures like this and watching that video on wolves, and how they kill elk and farmers animals, just to kill. Lets just say the next yote or "wild dog" that crosses my path will be hateing life.

OP. awesome pictures thanks for posting. what are the odds of catching that

take them out they do a lot of damage to ranchers and other wild game. they also breed quickly and have large litters. the population has to be controlled for a healthy environment.

Kinney Co. especially N. of HWY 90 was/is Sheep and Goat country and has been since 1800's. The good old boys ran the country into the shits by over stocking over grazing part of that equation was the eradication of coyotes. Because of poor range management practices like these there is very little top soil and out of control cedar thickets. Shit like Anthrax and blue tongue are a concern every year. The ecosystem is fucked, but at least on the mend.

I know every inch of my ranch, and besides that I have 36 hunters that are there every weekend since Sept. and between all of us no one has heard or seen a coyote in at least the past 10 years i'd say we don't have any........

Like I said before I drop'em every chance I get but if you are a real steward of the land you realize the play a vital role and exterminating all of them is a huge mistake.

does it suck from our point of view if a big deer gets his ass eat'n out, sure...... but who's to say I or you would have got'n him anyway........

kt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Like I said before I drop'em every chance I get but if you are a real steward of the land you realize the play a vital role and exterminating all of them is a huge mistake.
kt

</div></div>

exterminating anything is a mistake, but killing off the whole coyote population, is gonna take a bit more than a few planes and cyanide can do... i read somewhere you can kill up to 70% of the dog population and it will have no negative effect on the next years crop, and trust me, i don't care if your the "best" hunter/trapper, you aint gonna kill over 70% of the dogs in ur area, they move, more will move in, they're smart, and they'll get by ya somewhere.