• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wood Pellet grills

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
This has prpbably been on here a bunch of times and I didn't pay attention so the Mods can nuke it or put it somewhere else.
My Son gave us a new pellet Z Grill and after a few problems, shipping damage, I got the bitch running. It is made of Chineseum and talking to the Tech Support line was not easy so I went e-mail to fix the problems. It is good that I can speak and read Gookanese/English translations.

Once everything was squared away, I am off to the races and loving it. Some nice chop-chop has come out of it. Pastrami and pork ribs so far and they both were really good.

Doing ribs again now and going to try a pork shoulder once this next blizzard moves through. Youtube is my friend on this project as I don't know shit about it but I do now have several kinds of pellets and buckets with airtight lids to store them in and Rub and Spices and all kinds of shit I never thought I would need.

Is anyone else doing this? Have I missed some threads along the way? What is good and what is not.

Had I known he was doing this I would have put a little more loot into it and get somethin Made in the USA, but never kick a gift horse in the mouth. FM

4502DBC2-6C84-485D-98AF-4B09DF6EB414.jpeg

I store my pellets the same way. I’ve got a deck to finish and after that there’ll be some ribs, a pork belly and a brisket going across the grates.

Reactions: Foul Mike
I have a Yoder YS480. Personal preference on pellets is lumberjack. I keep the bags closed with these: https://bbqlumberjack.com/bbq-pellet-handy-camel-carry-pour-seal/

I did a spatchcocked chicken this am for my meal prep, doing a beer butt chicken for dinner later, tomorrow I am making bacon (been curing for 10 days now air drying in the fridge) as well a 1 full rack of St. Louis ribs and 2 racks of beef short ribs (9.5# total 🤤).

Very addicting hobby. Get yourself a good instant read thermometer and a good stationary one with probes (get extra probes cause they don’t last.

Very addicting hobby. Get yourself a good instant read thermometer and a good stationary one with probes (get extra probes cause they don’t last.

Those 5 gal. bucket air tight screw on lids are great. Air tight, so pellets don't swell or become un usable with screw on lids. I get GAMMA lids from Home Depot.

Here is a Pro Tip.

Don't try to push the screw top lid onto the bucket by hand. You may damage the seal, cussin and bangin on it til in place.

Instead,--Start the rim of the bucket lid by hand but don't pound nor smack it. Seals come out of place when you do that.

Take the bucket and lid rim to a carpeted surface, don't do it on slick hardwood floors as you might skid, turn the lid side down with the bucket bottom up as long as you have it started, and sit on the MFer.

They snap right into place and your seals are still good.
Doesn't take a lot of force, but it works well. An Ass for every seat. FM

Do you guys think you can tell the taste difference from a stick burner?

Ive had a Traeger for over a year now. Pellet selection has been narrowed down to the Traeger Signature blend and Applewood.

Pulled pork is my favorite food to cook on it and is super easy. Next is chicken.

I keep my pellets in air tight buckets.

Feel free to call me if you want a good pork recipe Mike

Ive had a Traeger for over a year now. Pellet selection has been narrowed down to the Traeger Signature blend and Applewood.

Traeger owner here too. Can anyone confirm or prove false that Traeger signature blends of pellets are just flavored and not the specific wood mentioned? My father in law mentioned "Yeah man....Trager wood pellets are just flavored. It's not the specific wood."

I like my hickory and apple....But, if it's just flavored sawdust from Traeger, I'd be more than happy to spend my money elsewhere.

They definitely look different from each other and I use less pellets cooking than the other brands. I can also taste the difference. I get less temperature swings too.

I also have a Traeger. It was given to me as a gift from my kids. Smoked a pork shoulder last Sunday, smoking some corned beef brisket for tomorrow.

I use Traeger pellets because that's what the local hardware store has but I prefer Cookingpellets.com. They are kinda local to me and they sponsor one of my drivers at work and he makes some awesome meats with his set-up. Flavor is all that really matters so if Traeger is adding that I'm good with it, the cook and taste fine.

@Foul Mike - you made me laugh good with that OP.

Im busy this week and out of town next week (off grid adventure with my kid in UT desert)
Will be in touch about coming out to say hi after that. And I will bring you a couple books I use a lot for BBQ.
If you can get PBS on the antenna out there in BFE, BBQ University used to be played on there. I have learned a few things watching that a few years ago.

I just tossed 20 lbs of pork butt on mine this AM, they are at 150 and 156F respectively, looking to be done around 1700 if they cook like prior ones. This is a basic rub and a Carolina Vinegar sauce pulled pork. Make you sing and goes good with a little Colorado Kool-aid.

I like these butts, Not quite an axe handle wide like the kind on a squaw, but juicy and jiggle!!! 🤣 🤣

I have the Pit Boss pellet smoker. Had it 9 months and use it about once a week maybe more. The burner box is centered in the grill. It makes a great grill or oven but not a good smoker. You really can't get a brisket away from the heat so the bottom will burn. Only minimal smoke flavor. Pellets only have a small amount of the wood flavor, the rest is "hardwood" whatever that may be. For ease of use a pellet grill is as easy as gas but for smoke flavor I prefer a stick burner using mesquite.

Reactions: Snuby642
This has prpbably been on here a bunch of times and I didn't pay attention so the Mods can nuke it or put it somewhere else.
My Son gave us a new pellet Z Grill and after a few problems, shipping damage, I got the bitch running. It is made of Chineseum and talking to the Tech Support line was not easy so I went e-mail to fix the problems. It is good that I can speak and read Gookanese/English translations.

Once everything was squared away, I am off to the races and loving it. Some nice chop-chop has come out of it. Pastrami and pork ribs so far and they both were really good.

Doing ribs again now and going to try a pork shoulder once this next blizzard moves through. Youtube is my friend on this project as I don't know shit about it but I do now have several kinds of pellets and buckets with airtight lids to store them in and Rub and Spices and all kinds of shit I never thought I would need.

Is anyone else doing this? Have I missed some threads along the way? What is good and what is not.

Had I known he was doing this I would have put a little more loot into it and get somethin Made in the USA, but never kick a gift horse in the mouth. FM
I have a Z grill 450 model. It works really well and I am amazed how easy it is to cook some amazing tasting food. Haven't screwed one up yet.
The BIGGEST thing I love is setting the temp and walking away, not having to constantly check it every few minutes. Love pellet smokers.

Do you guys think you can tell the taste difference from a stick burner?
I think the pellet reasoning is that you can set and forget. the electronics will do all needed to maintain temp where you set it. For me I keep looking at a stick unit. The one I sorta like at the Made in the USA store lists at 2k. Hoping if to catch it 30% off someday.

Agree, what smoke you get smells like cardboard. The filler. I will find good pellets somewhere. I hope.

I use pit boss pellets. They claim 100% hardwood and are made in USA.
$9/20 lb bag at the local Walmart.

I will bring you a bag to try Foul Mike.
My Traeger has the centered burner.
doesnt burn stuff right over it.
I bought it cheap ($300, its the 36” version) used and $60 in parts its ran through 200 lbs of pellets and hundreds of dollars of all kinda of meat.
Very very happy so far.
I just dont have the time for a stick burner.

I have a Req Tec and love it. I use Pit Boss pellets, the competition blend, that are $15 for 40lbs at WalMart. I've used Louisiana pellets as well but couldn't tell a difference, especially for over 2x the price. Getting a local store that will stock Lumberjack soon, so I'll give them a shot once they're available.

I have been amazed at how stupid simple this thing is to use. I've been using drum smokers for years, these pellet smokers are child's play!

Some say you can't get enough smoke flavor with a pellet smoker, I disagree. First couple briskets and pork butts were almost too smoky to eat, had to figure out how to get less smoke.

Costco or Sam's Club prime briskets are cheap, so are their pork butts. For rubs, I like a lot of Meat Church rubs, Req Tec rubs (we put their freakin greek on just about everything), Cosmo rubs (particularly dirty bird), and Bearded Butcher rubs.

My wife says my wrap is excessive, I disagree...

FEB0C8F3-0B66-4156-920D-86DE8C0030CB.jpeg

Some points of merit on a stick burner.

They have to be watched over, adjusted, maintained for heat, smoke and flow and stoked occasionally.

Every day is different some suck to burn sticks.

Some times your wood is greenish or wet or dry as hell and just burns up.

The trick to all of this mess is to mumble, cuss flail your arms around kick the dirt.

You then make proper adjustments and restart your vigilance over thermometers and smoke levels.

Get a seat in the shade and a cooler of the proper drinks.
You then have plenty of time to reflect on what the pellet people are doing, chores probably. Lol

That and the belief I have that I prefer stick flavor over pellets but probably won't turn any down iether.

Reactions: uffduh and Gzilla
This! When you don’t wrap at the stall it’s easy to go 15-18 hours when cooking multiple large pieces of meat.
Don't confuse pellet nation with technical problems.

When your friends come over and the wife hands them a plate and says " I made this", then your stick burning buddies give you the stink eye.

Priceless.

+1 for the reqteq, I’ve got a Traeger and the bullseye from reqteq, the bullseye is twice the grill my Traeger is, it gets to temp super fast, cleaning is way easier, and the riot mode kicks ass, so far I’ve been able to hit 770 on riot mode, you can definitely sear a steak fast.

• Wow
Those pellets with undefined " hardwood" as a base.
Hopefully it's oak as a base then a flavor wood.

I use 50% oak and flavor with a variety of other woods sometimes 50 / 25 / 25.

I don't think any of the reputable brands would risk using junk in thier pellets.

Since we're on the topic......How do you guys smoke your brisket's and the temps? Smoke for a few hours, then wrap in foil/parchment paper and smoke again? What's your ideal internal temp? 205?

There's few things better than a smoked and juicy fillet mignon or brisket. I've got my fillet's down solid, but my brisket process needs some fine tuning.

Reactions: Maggot
Nom nom thread is filled with brisket advise, but 205 is gtg.

Smoke till the stall wrap and finish.
Works every time no matter size.

Reactions: ColinW
I smoke my brisket at 225 to 250 for an hour per pound over indirect heat. I also have a large steel bowl next to the fire full of dark beer and water to add moisture.

No FOIL!!!! paper FTW. So it can breathe
you lose your crust with foil.

Your at the range shooting and your wife is BBQing.

Sooner or later she will take it over.
Lol

Do you pellet guys wear velcro shoes?
I wear pink Chuck Taylors old man!!
E39FAD74-FED9-468A-9986-6D19A9883C72.jpeg
We all get it. You are old school and think a stick burner is the answer for all smoking. Some people work FT and raise young kids, as well as volunteer on top of that. Others are ok going the easier route
For some, sitting and drinking tending a fire isnt as feesible.
Does a stick burner make food that taste good? Yep
Have I ever heard anything other than “Oh man this is amazing” off my Traeger? Nope.

I’ve got a butt on my Grilla Grill right now; basically a nicer Z-Grill. I’ve had it about a year and a half and really like it. A buddy has a Req Teq and I think I like that better. I second the advice on having a good instant read thermometer as well as multiple probes to leave in while you smoke. Next best advice I can give is use recipes from www.heygrillhey.com. All her recipes are good, and she’s kind of sexy in a Mormon mom sort of way.

Rec-Tec grill, on about 5 yrs now. Love it. Bought one for my friend for his bday.

I tried gas heat and chips a couple of times so I could get a very low heat.

Was not satisfied with the results.

I've had many pellet smoked meats, I ate them.

I'm past the 7 day a week job with young kids and all that stuff.
I have well earned my retirement days leashurly poking at a real fire.

I burn a lot.

1616282241780692067210392722078.jpg

Thats 2 dead ones I saved to rebuild.

Since we're on the topic......How do you guys smoke your brisket's and the temps? Smoke for a few hours, then wrap in foil/parchment paper and smoke again? What's your ideal internal temp? 205?

There's few things better than a smoked and juicy fillet mignon or brisket. I've got my fillet's down solid, but my brisket process needs some fine tuning.

Trim fat, cut out deckel. Coat lightly in oil, sprinkle on SPG (salt, pepper, garlic powder) till evenly covered to preference. If not a prime brisket (and why wouldn't you buy prime?) then I'll inject beef bone broth throughout brisket.

225 till 165 internal temp, wrap in peach paper till the thermometer says 203 internal temp, keep checking till probe tender. Rest in a pre-heated cooler for at least 2 hours, 4 is preferred. Slice appropriately.

Bearded Butchers also have a good video on briskets

Reactions: MJF and ColinW
Been looking at getting my first pellet smoker but I think I’m gonna go with a gravity fed charcoal smoker.

I love my Yoder YS640. Use it 2-3x a week. It’s just too damn easy to use. From searing steaks and chicken to slow smoking briskets for 18hrs. I have buddies with big Yoder offset stick burners who are jealous of its simplicity. They stay up all night babysitting fires and dampers while I go inside, fuck the wife a few times, and then get 8hrs of sleep while they sit outside with the mosquitos. 🤣

• Haha
I think @powdahound76 belives I don't think pellet smokers have a place. That's not entirely correct.

I like the tradition of a stick burner with all the hassles of running it and some ruined meat learning how along the way, I had no mentors no YouTube.

It's a labor of love for friends and family and have tought my sons and working on the grandchildren.

Pellet smokers have a place just not my place.

Lawn's done now and my white tenners are covered in grass stains and dogshit. Lol

If I don't get a new trailer rig built with a vertical box on the end I may break down and get an electric or gas vertical for sausage making.

I have to find one that will do 100, 120 and 140 degrees

I didn't realize it until this AM that yesterday was "Meat Free Day" or some crap. Apparently @Foul Mike s favorite governor declared it because his boyfriend is VEGAN. So we all need to spend a day acting like a damn fool.

Makes the 20 lb of pork shoulder I smoked up taste just a little bit better......

Pellet smokers definitely have a place in the game now. They impart a less smoky flavor than a traditional stick burner. But honestly in my expierence cooking for 50-60 people at summer gatherings “most” people don’t like the strong flavor coming off a stick burner. You’ll have a few that do. But by large most people prefer a better balanced BBQ.

my Yoder applies enough smoke so that you know you’re eating BBQ. But also allows the flavors of the meat, rubs, and sauces to poke through. Combine that with the convienence of consistent temperature control and automation it’s a big win over side burners.

RecTec makes a decent product. For American made “heavy duty” use that will last a life time you should be looking at the Yoders and the Pitts and Spitts products.

yoder now incorporates the FireBoard temp probe system right into the controller. Which I feel gives a slight advantage over the Pitts and Spitts

I’ve also cold smoked cheeses on my Yoder. Very very Smokey flavor. Havecto let the cheese rest for a few days for it to mild out.