• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

10-22 question

calebintn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Allright I have searched but can't find it anywhere.
How short can I go with a heavy 10-22 barrel before I start losing accuracy. I see some guys running 16" barrels how do they perform compared to 18" and 20"s?
Also with an aluminum 10-22 reciever will a fluted barrel perform better and is it worth the weight reduction?

Re: 10-22 question

I have a couple of the Tactical solutions barrels that are 16 in. Both are fluted, and one has the threaded end. They do just fine. Accuracy is excellent. As far as to how they compare to the 18 & 20 in barrels that depends on the barrel & ammo you use. If you go with a steel barrel the fluting helps if you are going to carry the rifle hunting alot.

I believe a typical .22lr rimfire bullet will attain its maximum velocity within 14" of barrel length; anything much longer than that will merely rob muzzle velocity due to increased friction.

I believe barrel length and accuracy are largely independent, though balance affects shootability, especially in less supported positions.

Velocity is much less important than consistency of velocity.

10" match barrel Contenters often shoot close to 1" @ 100yd.

My 21 1/2" Clark shoots pretty well, too.

Use what feels best; there is no "right" answer to .22 barrel length, although I understand the benchrest hardcore use longer barrels.