• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

16" Barrel on a rem 700

Country DeVil

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Co
I was at the range today and I saw a guy next to me shooting a rem 700 .308 with a really short barrel. I asked and he said he had the barrel cut to 16 inches and its plenty accurate but he did loose a little velocity but not enough to matter because he can still hit 1300 yards.

does anyone else have 16" barrels and if so can you post pics?

Re: 16" Barrel on a rem 700

1300 yds he is a little off on his range there. Id call BS real quick. Think more like 800ish. Not that the gun couldnt do it ( i highly doubt it though) but the 308 rd itself isnt a great performer out that far.

How about a 14" barrel? With the new scope 900 yard 15" plates really aren't that hard to consistantly hit now. It's a 7-08 and velocity is still supersonic at 900 and will be very close at 1000 yards but we don't have a 1000 target yet. A friend has a 260 and my son has a 7IHMSA and all are very accurate at the 900 yard line. Winds plays havoc with our slower velocities but we're getting better about reading that. Just ordered a 20moa mount that should really help past that 900 yard line. I'm right at the top of my adjustment now. Load is 43gr 4064, Rem 9 1/2 primer and Sierra 150 HPBT match bullet.

Shorter barrel length doesn't necessarly mean less accuracy to a point.

Ahh, the picture.... Don't laugh... it really does shoot that well.
7081.jpg

Topstrap

I don't know, in the rifle caliber pistol pictured above, I can see it - there have been many years of success with that configuration from T/C models and other firearm companies. I don't really know the benefit of using a 16" bbl, while planning to effectively shoot long range. Can hits be obtained at distance with that rifle? Of course ~ and it could look good doing it as well. Looking forward to some pics!

Seems a little short to hit something effectively at 1300 yards. We were getting keyholes at 850 from a 22" barrel under certain weather conditions...

yeah i agree with LoneWolf, if you throw enough lead at it for so long you are bound to get hits.

if it doesn't snow here in the next few weeks, i will try my 18" barrel at 1340 yards and maybe 1460 yards just for shits and giggles. will i hit the target? i have no idea yet. i think i might though as it was making hits just fine at 1k at 250 feet elevation and the 1340/1460 targets are at 5500 feet. i do know it is going to be more challenging than my 300 win mag.

can you hit a target at 1300 yards with a 16" barreled 308? i'd say probably but would also like to know the target size and shots fired to hit ratio on it.

I actually needed an extra hunting rifle as a loaner for a friend next week so Ryan Field cut down an old PSS barrel I had laying around to 16.5" and we threw one together with various spare parts. Here's a pic:

_MG_1301.JPG

Velocity was 2625 shooting 155 Scenars in a non-max load.
Same load in my 18" DPMS was 2700
Same load in my 22" DTA SRS was 2850

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HA!, a loner for a friend. Can I be your friend? </div></div>

yea really lol

I have been out at the McMillan Sniper range and watched hits on the 900 yard steel target (think it is actually 910 or 920) with a 12" rifle. took all the elevation and 2 mildots, but hits were consistant.

I have a POF 14.5" and am thinking of cutting down my Savage from 20" to 16.5"..........

Thought I'd drop a picture of where we shoot at our 900 yard targets. Range is Rayners in Eastern OH. Not exactly the flat elevations and constant wind conditions as some ranges but you shoot across a few valleys and tree groupings. It can be quite challenging. There will be shoots each month starting in February. It is set up for rifles but they allow us to shoot along with them with our pistols in a separate class.

raynersdistanceq.jpg

Topstrap