• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 LOADS - for 100 yard best load *DONT BE SCARED

shooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
WhAT IS THE BEST HANDLOAD LEGALLY HERE!!!!! THROUGH THE BOOKS!!! OR CLOSE TO THEM

For a 308 100 yd match. come on now tell bullet and maker, OAL, powder AND WEIGHT, and primer and brasss. any any other DANG
frown.gif
secrets for 100 yard one holers with 1x12 twist bbl.

Just for those who are afraid to give good data and participate to help all ather info too. 100 matches arent really a scret like 500 6000 meter or 1k.

Re: 308 LOADS - for 100 yard best load *DONT BE SCARED

rifle 700p 1 in 12 twist 26'' shoots 1/2'' 5 shot groups with 41g of varget under a 150g open tip match flat base bullet (sorry don't know who makes it, gun show special) winchester brass neck sized only and wlr primer, oal is 2.820 I haven't shot it through a chony but it is the best I can get out of what I got. Only problem is....groups open up considerably past 100yds, probably because it's a flat base??????vs boat tail??

Well, I use Barnes 165 grain solids seated .025" off lands. It is loaded with 43 grains of Benchmark. CCI LR Benchrest primer. MV of 2940 fps. This load consistently shoot well under .5 MOA groups out to 800 yards. However, this is what my rifle likes. What shoots good in my rifle does not mean that it will shoot good in yours. Just my opinion.

Did you look here all ready

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=323517&gonew=1#UNREAD

Varget 45.5 to 46 works well in two of my 12 twisty's pushing 168's of berger, Sierra, or nosler BTHP. OAL is as long as will run smoothly out of the mag with winchester and cci LR primers. 43 or 43.5 also showed promise if you dont like loading at the top end.

brass was lapua

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WhAT IS THE BEST HANDLOAD LEGALLY HERE!!!!! THROUGH THE BOOKS!!! OR CLOSE TO THEM

For a 308 100 yd match. come on now tell bullet and maker, OAL, powder AND WEIGHT, and primer and brasss. any any other DANG
frown.gif
secrets for 100 yard one holers with 1x12 twist bbl.

Just for those who are afraid to give good data and participate to help all ather info too. 100 matches arent really a scret like 500 6000 meter or 1k. </div></div>

Whether shooting with a scope or irons, the only thing that precludes anyone from one hole groups at 100 yards is basic marksmanship skill. I prefer a lighter bullet for the short line since high BC is not important there; and, less recoil can mean more predictable recoil, reducing the absolute need for perfecting the position. Of course, predictable is also a function of massaged ammunition, meaning ammunition which has a relatively low ES number. Be sure to deburr flash holes and experiment with primer brands to get an ES which is inside 20 fps, that's to say, if one hole groups are what you're shootin' for when marksmanship is already in the bag. Remember too, the bullet will always go in the direction the barrel's pointed. All there is to good shooting is therefore to know where the barrel's pointed. With today's factory match ammunition and a rifle that's not broken, knowing where the barrel is pointed is all about marksmanship fundementals. In fact, if you can't put all your bullets in one hole at 100 yards, something about keeping your perspective of aim and/or position consistent is likely amiss.

This may be a little long, but here we go.

I shoot a off the shelf 700P in .308 and this is what I have developed for this gun.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">100 to 200 Yd. Load</span></span>
168 Gn. sierra Match King
Seated .166 off rifling (Ogive seating length 2.080)
42.0 Gn. Reloader 15
Lapua Brass Trim 2.005
CCI-200 Primers
On a good day I can chew less than 3/8" hole with 5 rounds at 100 Yds and a little under 1/2" at 200 Yds.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">100 to 1000 Yd. Load</span></span>
175 Gn. Sierra Match King
Seated .158 off rifling (Ogive seating length 2.088)
42.8 Gn. Reloader-15
Lapua Brass Trim 2.005
CCI-200 Primers
This load will hold a 3/8" group at 100 Yds. and a 10" to 12" group at 1000 Yds. If I do my part.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Here is my routine</span></span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Brass:</span></span>
Trim to 2.005, champher flash holes inside, champher case neck. Then sort by weight .2 Gn. groups. Shoot only one weight group at a time.
The first firing with new brass I call throw away shots or use them to foul a clean barrel before I start shooting for accuracy. Use the cheapest bullets you can find for this.
Now, neck size the new cases that have been fired, wash in acetone, clean primer pockets, use a jewelers small screw driver to clean around the corner of the primer pocket where the primer anvil seats, measure and trim as necessary to 2.005 <span style="font-weight: bold">Every time</span> , re-champher case necks if trimmed or if burred, Polish inside of case necks with a .38 cal. bronze brush in a low speed drill be careful not to remove metal. Wash in acetone again and let dry over night. (Neck sizing only, eliminates head space and keeps the case to the dimensions of your rifles chamber, they usually will not fit in another .308)

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Priming:</span></span>
Seat primers firmly, should be recessed just below case head. Consistancy is very important. (Use a primer depth gage if you want)

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Bullets:</span></span>
Sort by weight .1 Gn. groups, then sort each group by Ogive to base dimension. (Sinclair Bullet Comparator) Shoot one weight and length group at a time.
If you are going to metplat trim and re-drill the hollow points do it first.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Powder:</span></span>
Triple weigh each charge on two different scales. one balance beam and one digital. After second weighing charge case. Then when finished with all the cases you are loading dump each case one at a time and re-weigh for the third time. Accuracy here is critical in maintaining velocity as consistent as possible. I can usually hold within +/- 15 fps. But there are times it won't as there are other factors at work.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Seating Bullet:</span></span>
Lightly touch bullet in seating die to straighten in case, rotate case 90 degrees then seat 1/4 of the way, rotate again and finish seating. (Measure each round)
I use a bullet comparator to measure my seating length from the Ogive of the bullet. Most bullets can be .003 to .005 difference in length from the Ogive to point, so if you seat by OAL your actual distance from Ogive to rifling can be off that amount.
You will have to determine the exact bolt face to rifling dimension in your gun.

There are many additional things others do reloading but I would rather
be pulling a trigger than sitting at the reloading table. Best of luck

I'm wondering if anybody's done any serious accuracy load development with Sierra's new 135gr .308 MatchKing. It would seem to me to be a nearly ideal bullet for short range loads at 100 and 200yd. Slinging all that lead with the 150gr and up bullets would seem kinda unnecessary at the shorter distances, where BC has its least importance. Might not be a bad bullet for 7.62x39, either.

have not shot the new 135mk in my 308 yet but i did have the pleasure of shooting some in a 30cal bench gun. shot a few ZERO groups and could be counted on to shoot in the ONES and very low TWOS. i ran the numbers through my ballistics calculator and with the added velocity, the 135 should shoot inside the 155 or 175 well past 500yds. may be a very good hunting bullet.

chuck

Interesting set of procedures. When do you full length or body size the cases? Any Annealing?

This is my routine. Shake brass out of lapua box into a bucket. Then get your hand primer and prime.(210M) Poor 46 grains of RL15 into brass. Then put a 155 scenar at 2.830 on top. This combo hasn't let me down. It will shoot 1/2 inch @100yds out of a Crusader and will hold moa out 1100yds, if you don't let the wind get you.

That is funny and probably true.

I shoot 46.3 grains RL-15 under a 150 at 2.800.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my routine. Shake brass out of lapua box into a bucket. Then get your hand primer and prime.(210M) Poor 46 grains of RL15 into brass. Then put a 155 scenar at 2.830 on top. This combo hasn't let me down. It will shoot 1/2 inch @100yds out of a Crusader and will hold moa out 1100yds, if you don't let the wind get you. </div></div>

This load works in my rifle too. I also use 45.8gr of Varget with comparable results.

Only when the bolt feels tighter than normal on closing. But FL resizing will mean the next shot will be off by 1" or more, wasted components.

Lapua cases are factory annealed. I used to anneal after 5 reloadings but the results seemed to affect the neck tension which changed the burning rate and reduces accuracy. I have some cases that have been used 10 times. I only resize the neck. Will shoot them until the neck cracks then throw them away.

I am fortunate to have my own 1000 Yd. range and can shoot any time I want. A big day for me will be 3 to 5 rounds, as my objective is a one round hit on the steel silhouette targets I have set up. I analyze each shot, and have learned how to read mirages and wind at various points between my shooting position and the target. Other factors that I've had to learn about beyond temperature, barometric pressure, altitude and humidity are corolis and spindrift which does affect 1000 yd shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I am fortunate to have my own 1000 Yd. range and can shoot any time I want. A big day for me will be 3 to 5 rounds, as my objective is a one round hit on the steel silhouette targets I have set up. I analyze each shot, and have learned how to read mirages and wind at various points between my shooting position and the target. Other factors that I've had to learn about beyond temperature, barometric pressure, altitude and humidity are corolis and spindrift which does affect 1000 yd shots.</div></div>

Umm... its a big world and 3-5 rounds sounds boring.

The 45-46 gr range of Varget seems to work best for the 308 Win. I'd work to find the nodes for your specific rifle and barrel but at least with that range it shouldn't take long.

BORING????

Not when your ultimate objective is to be able to have only one round with you, and be able to make a perfect hit cold every time at 1000 Yds.

Almost any competent shooter with 5 or rounds at hand can correct until they hit the target.

I may never attain a 1000 Yd. one round cold shot, but the challenge is the fun of it. And why not if it was easy everyone could do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only when the bolt feels tighter than normal on closing. But FL resizing will mean the next shot will be off by 1" or more, wasted components.

Lapua cases are factory annealed. I used to anneal after 5 reloadings but the results seemed to affect the neck tension which changed the burning rate and reduces accuracy. I have some cases that have been used 10 times. I only resize the neck. Will shoot them until the neck cracks then throw them away.
(snip)</div></div>

That makes a lot of sense. I am always amused when I hear about people who carefully necksize a couple of times and then full length resize. I prefer to full length resize every time using bushing dies and I don't anneal anymore either; I can't seem to fully control neck tension and it's more trouble than I care to deal with.

I am going to go against the grain, here.

The best 100 yard load will be developed around a flat base match (benchrest) bullet. These have much better characteristics in that critical microsecond when the bullet uncorks the pressure at the chrown. They also have better characteristics in stability (base drag) and at 100 yards, the BC is completely irrelevent.

My 20" .308 likes Nosler 168grn BTHP Custom Competition in front of 45.5grns of IMR-4064 with CCI 250 in Hornaday/Frontier match brass.

(just finished working it up today actually)

Just my initial testing. Remington SPS Tactical with Choate stock.

Hornady Match Brass trimmed to 2.005 Full length sized with LEE Dies.

175g MatchKings
GM215m Primers
43g Reloader 15
2.800 OAL

P1010115.jpg

45 varget,155 nosler custom comp,lapua brass,cci br2.i shoot this out of a savage model 10 fcp.with good results.i agree with mitch on the flatbase at shorter distance.

BIB 134 gr. Flat Base Custom Bullet
VV N140..44.4 gr.
Rem 700, Hart Barrel,
OAL Touching Lands

Consistently groups < or = .120's

In all 3 of my rifles, have 1-12 barrels.TRG-22,FN-SPR,and Kimber Advanced Tactical. I concistantly get groups in the .300-.450 range. Here is my loads.
Lapua brass
CCI-BR2 primers
43.5gr IMR-4964
168 Nosler Custom Comp. bullet
2.850 OAL

I've been working on loads for my remington 700 VTR. Right now the most accurate load I've found are below....

168gr A-max
Fed 210 primers
41.6 IMR 4895
LC Brass
chroned at: 2575fps

168gr A-Max
Fed 210 primers
42.8 IMR 4895
LC Brass
chronoed at: 2693fps

I was looking for a round that would be over 2600fps so for right now I am using the 42.8gr load.

my current pet load for my .308 Tikka T3 super varmint 24 inch, 1 in 11 twist

44.5 grains of ADI2208 (varget)
remingtion brass
cci 200 standard large rifle primers
sierra Game King 165 SBT BC .4 (1000 bulk reject rounds trimed and tumbeled)
OAL to fit the mag 2.830
2650 fps

i am currently making this round for 59c Australian each

not the best long range round but ive had it under MOA accurate at 640 yards with vertical stringing (heart beat
frown.gif
if only i could stop it :p )

at 100 yards against 1/2 plate of mild steel each round will be in the same hole (the hole in the steel is about 1/2 > 3/4 inch sized and thats plenty good enough for me.

when i get the rifle back from the smith (adding a muzzle break and what ever else he thinks best) i will redevelop the rounds. this time im aiming for a round that is 2700+ FPS

For benchrest I use:

Brass: Win {uniformed, flash holed, chamfered, deburred, neck sized}
Primer: CCI
Powder: Varget 43.6gr
Bullet: Lapua Scenar or Sierra MK 155
OAL: 2.820

This load has shot as well as 0.188" 5-shot groups at 100 yards in my M40.

For 100 yds?

WCC brass
Fed 210
168 SMK
41gr R-15

or

LC LR brass
Fed 210
155 Scenar
41gr R-15

Both of those shoot great at 100 and are very easy on brass.

200mgroup003.jpg

Might try this one....VVN150 just would'nt get the velocity I wanted(2725ish). Went to Varget, but it really shot well at short range. Good luck!

Wow, very nice shooting PGS!

I shot some new loads at 300 yards today, and my 22" bartlein 1/11.25 seemed to really like this:

Fed. GMM Brass
CCI 200
42.6 gr of H4895
175 smk
seated .015 off the rifling
2755 muzzle velocity
standard deviation was 2 fps
wink.gif

I shot this load and an identical load except with 43 gr of H4895 and the 42.6 gr group was right 15/16" center to center, and the 43 gr group was a little worse than 1 1/8" center to center at 300.

Re: 308 LOADS - for 100 yard best load *DONT BE SC

Lapua brass
46.0 gr Varget
Sierra 110 gr Varminter JHP .308
Federal 210M primer
2.650" COAL

Im getting .4" 5 shot groups with this load including cold bore with my factory Savage.

175gr SMK
WIN BRASS
fed 210
44.7gr Varget
.376" @100
seated to 2.80, of the top of my head, comparator length was 3.228"

all brass trimmed to 2.005, primer pocket uniformed, flash hole deburred, case neck chamfered and deburred.

my best 200yrd group .498" with 45.0gr Varget, same specs. Hodgdon lists this as a compressed load.

175gr SMK
Win Brass Trim 2.005
Fed 210m
42.5 748 or 43.0 R-15
COAL 2.798
Not sure on the temp sensitivity of the 748 yet but I like how it shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.A. Lawman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">175gr SMK
WIN BRASS
fed 210
44.7gr Varget
.376" @100
seated to 2.80, of the top of my head, comparator length was 3.228"

all brass trimmed to 2.005, primer pocket uniformed, flash hole deburred, case neck chamfered and deburred.

my best 200yrd group .498" with 45.0gr Varget, same specs. Hodgdon lists this as a compressed load. </div></div>

I just finished loading almost the same load you've stated but used Lapua Brass and my comparator lenght was 3.223"

Time will tell!!

I have had the best luck at 100 yrds with my 20" 1 in 12 FN SPR using 42.5gr Varget under 168 gr Sierra Matchkings using CCI BR primers and either Prvi Partisan or Lapua brass with a COL of 2.840. This load has proven to be very consistent and accurate for me. I've loaded several different loads increasing and decreasing the powder using varget or reloader 15. Increasing and decreasing COL. I've tried the 150gr and 175gr sierra matchkings and time and time again I always go back to the 168gr with 42.5gr of varget. For whatever reason seems to work great in that rifle for me at 100yrds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BORING????

Not when your ultimate objective is to be able to have only one round with you, and be able to make a perfect hit cold every time at 1000 Yds.

Almost any competent shooter with 5 or rounds at hand can correct until they hit the target.

I may never attain a 1000 Yd. one round cold shot, but the challenge is the fun of it. And why not if it was easy everyone could do it. </div></div>

+1

rem 700 5r
my buddy shot 5 rounds off a bench then i shot the last 5 left handed at the same target and all 10 were covered by a dime
44 gr varget cci standard primer lapua case 168 smk