• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$ 4,000.00 Want a semi auto .308 which platform

Re: $ 4,000.00 Want a semi auto .308 which platform

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If $4000 is your budget in total, I would set aside what you want for an optic first, then consider what your remaining budget is for a rifle.</div></div>

+1...A rifle only shoots as well as its optic. Its much better to have a superb optic and a good rifle than to have a superb rifle and a good optic.

Also, I see you're in the USAF. Thank you for your service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spaceman_Spiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If $4000 is your budget in total, I would set aside what you want for an optic first, then consider what your remaining budget is for a rifle.</div></div>

+1...A rifle only shoots as well as its optic. Its much better to have a superb optic and a good rifle than to have a superb rifle and a good optic.

Also, I see you're in the USAF. Thank you for your service. </div></div>

I have always bought the rifle first, and work my way up to the optics. I have Supersnipers all ready to go in standby as temps for my rifles until I can afford the optic.. however, I am thinking of reversing the trend, and get a USO first, and decide on a Rifle later.

Thank you all for your inputs I appreciate them alot. I plan on a $4000.00 budget for the rifle and another $2000.00 I have set aside for glass and anything extra I have after rifle and optics will be for upgrades the rifle budget alone is 4K. I have another 2K set aside for glass.

I am stationed at Mountain Home AFB in Mountain home Idaho for those of you that asked. Also don't worry about hijackin my thread it helps myself and others learn. I would build my own but have limited knowledge in this area i'm sure I could do it with research, time, a good smith for direction and all of you i'm just not confident yet in tackling such a feat. When I have owned one and become more familiar with fit and function and such I may venture into that realm I can only imagine the pride one must have building his own stick.

I own a few 223 platforms and have shot the militarys outdated 223 plenty but I love the .308 and I won't buy any other caliber unless you can find me some cash to feed a 338 lapua or a 50 cal? I reload for my remington 700 sps aac tactical so price of ammo is moot. I hope i've answered all your questions. Also I appreciate the thanks for my service I truly enjoy it and god has been good to me and my family i'm truly blessed to serve this great country. Thanks all i'll let you know what I do when I pull the trigger.

with your budget i think you have quite a few options

wish i had that kind of budget, like someone else said, i would probably look into getting a custom build that i can piece together just the way i want it.

(+1 ) J P LRP-07 Awesome Rifle

Noveske all the way...
LMT second choice
POF third
POF lower and upper with a LaRue Barrel third and a half...

Someone will probably try to murder me in my sleep for this but go with a 6x48 Acog for glass.... why, because you can bracket shots with a semi-auto using kentucky windage and its way easier on moving targets. And you can shoot with both eyes open when it gets so close that it gets blury in your scope. Its not super heavy, and you get a great field of view.

I am having one custom build as we speak

D&S Gun Works Ft. Smith AR is building me a custom
D&S Gun Works 1-479-252-6644
AR .308 usin a Mega Arms matched upper/lower
Kreiger Barrel 20" with M110 countour
Troy hardware
A2 style rear stock
Cera Kote entire gun you choose the color.
DPMS Chrome bolt carrier, Ambi Safety
Cost Est. of just over 2K leaving plenty of room in your budget for premium glass. I plan to use IOR Glass but Im odd like that.
They built me a .338 Lapua thats Lights Out on a AI chasis
very nice gun. Give em a call and get your gun the way you want it.

What I did with my $4000.

Armalite AR10 SASS
Leupold 4.5-14X M4 FF
ARMS #36 S-EX Swan sleeve + medium rings
USGI M1 Garand type sling (I don't use a bipod)
7 mags(25 rounders) and a field parts kit
A slew of DAG surplus ammo (not part of the $4000)

What I can do with my $4000
From the prone with a sling, 5" groups at 300yds
Range and hit 20" targets 100% out to 500 yds.
Range and hit 20" targets 9 out of 10 at 600 yds.
Range and hit 20" targets 7 out of 10 at 700 yds.
Work more at the 600 and 700 (DAG is only 40 cents each)
Because I'm not tied to a bipod I can adjust to the different ranges very fast but this is more of a battle rifle discipline and to make high probability hits past 700 yds one will need to use a quality bipod and match ammo. Knowing this, if for a few hundred dollars more and my set-up will deliver all the 308 is capable of, why spend more?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Payne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't more people here shoot Jp's? </div></div>

cause this is a GAP forum, duh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Payne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the GAP's better or is it just the kool-aid?</div></div>

The GAP-10 is a very accurate rifle and built by G.A. Precision and it's every bit as good as people say it is. I wouldn't call it "kool-aid" but to each their own. Everyone has their personal favorite, mine being the POF.

I would get a LMT MWS 308 if I was you and spend the rest of the money on a good scope. You will not regret it. I will put my LMT against any other 308 out there.

I'll be in this same boat soon as well. Leaning toward Armalite myself.

KAC are overpriced and people pay every penny and then make excuses when they don't shoot how a 4-6k dollar gun should. Buy a GAP and I have owned and used just about all the semi- autos out there, and am not necessarily a fan boy of one company over another, all the smiths on here do amazing work. But the gap10 is proven now to run and shoot better then most bolt guns so that's good enough for me. I would take it down range and that is saying a lot

I've never even heard of the GAP-10 before I came here. Not on arfcom or M4C, nowhere. Looks like a DI version of a POF to boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snake Plissken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never even heard of the GAP-10 before I came here. Not on arfcom or M4C, nowhere. Looks like a DI version of a POF to boot. </div></div>

Prefered Juice Manufacturer will vary depending on the name of the Forum.

Same as everyone else has said: LMT, LaRue, GAP, build your own (in no particular order).

LaRue gets a bad rap here because the owner of this forum and Mark LaRue get into pissing matches occasionally and the fan boys here clash with the LaRue fanboys. That being said, the OBR's shoot really well and are very nice, but are expensive.

The LMTs are pretty sweet shooting guns and the barrel swap feature is nice.

You've heard plenty about GAP.

If I were you I'd build my own from a mixture of parts from the above manufacturers plus Noveske. You can put together a rifle that will do nearly everything all for the above rifles will do and not have to compromise on any of the parts or features. You can build a very very nice rifle and get great glass for it for well under $6,000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LaRue gets a bad rap here because the owner of this forum and Mark LaRue get into pissing matches occasionally and the fan boys here clash with the LaRue fanboys.
</div></div>

You might want to get your facts straight on part of that. From what I've seen LowLight actually does not get into the pissing match but in fact it's Mark that seems to have issues with anyone who says anything negative about his product or it's capabilities. Mark has gone on several Forums with rants and acting like a 3 year old that had his ice cream stolen. George on the other hand has not acted as such and not spoken any ill words of Mark from what I've seen. As for the Fanboys on both sides... well... yeah... lol...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LaRue gets a bad rap here because the owner of this forum and Mark LaRue get into pissing matches occasionally and the fan boys here clash with the LaRue fanboys.
</div></div>

You might want to get your facts straight on part of that. From what I've seen LowLight actually does not get into the pissing match but in fact it's Mark that seems to have issues with anyone who says anything negative about his product or it's capabilities. Mark has gone on several Forums with rants and acting like a 3 year old that had his ice cream stolen. George on the other hand has not acted as such and not spoken any ill words of Mark from what I've seen. As for the Fanboys on both sides... well... yeah... lol... </div></div>

Not to rehash the issue at all, but I was here for all of it, and it's almost certainly a pissing match between the two. I know everyone here loves lowlight, but there are groups that feel about him the same things the group here feels about Mark LaRue. No offense to anyone, just pointing it out.

I have a Gap built ar10 and it shoots great but if I did it over again I would go for an LMT. I love how you don't have to build a complete upper to quickly change calibers.

This thread needs pictures! Here is a Noveske N6 21"

f14bbf098284e88587a78940bbd83e9b.jpg

My Armalite SASS below, it's life will not be complete until I get me that 21" Noveske Barrel.
AR10blacktan-vi.jpg

I was on the market for a semi-308 for the longest time. I did my research & saved my nickel & dimes; until last month when I stumbled upon a AR-308 that was built by G.A. Precision. It's not their GAP-10, but an AR-10 someone had them build for them. All said & done with a Leupold 3.5-10 on it I came out under $3,000. I think there's several options out there, you just have to find what meets your needs/wants. I choose the platform I did for some of the following reasons, it takes 7.62 PMags which are inexpensive, it fit my bill & left enough left over for a decent scope & ammo!

I liked my 16" POF-308 so much that I bought it a twin for company. One for precision shooting (2295 + tax locally) with a Vortex Razor (2k), and one with a TA11, .308 Acog for SHTF.

Both are incredibly accurate, frequently shooting sub 1.5" groups at 300y with FGMM 175gr. (not with the Acog, but with the Vortex mounted). The one I bought brand new needed a little break-in and a home chamber-polish job, and has been solid and accurate since.

jp lrp 07

Read Bostons Gun Bible. There is a lot of good information in how to choose a weapon such as you want. It helped me. Now I have 5 M14s. I have other weapons, but I am glad I standardized on the M14 for the majority of my weapons. Many parts and tools are available to do everything yourself.

There are lots of great options out there when looking for a 308 semi-auto/AR platform. The good choices include: LMT, KAC, LaRue, POF, GAP, to name a few.

What I have not seen mentioned yet is the magazine. In the AR platform of any kind, the magazine is the weakest link to a reliable weapon. Unlike an AR15, AR10s do not all use the same magazine. Some use surplus M14 mags, which are plentiful and reliable. Others use proprietary mags specific to their system. They are NOT interchangable. Spare mags can get expensive. In the AR15 platform I have had great success and reliability with PMAGs. There are a few AR10 systems that now use 308 caliber PMAGs. Actually the PMAG was designed to work with the KAC SR25/M110/Mk11 system, as it is current .mil issue. I'm partial to PMAGs as they have been reliable and relatively CHEAP. I would look at a system compatible with PMAGs. I'm not an expert on "all things AR10", but here are a few that I know about:

M14 mags:
-Armalite AR10 -need to be converted to use in AR-10(new version 2012 that accepts KAC mag?)
-Noveske N6

KAC/PMAG:
-KAC
-LMT
-LWRC REPR
-LaRue OBR
-JP LRP-07
-POF
-DPMS
-Bushmaster R25
-GAP

Proprietary:
-Rock River Armory (ETA: FN/FAL--thanks SpiralSeal)

OP: My preference would be a LMT MWS with good optics. The ability to change the barrel is not only useful when it comes to changing calibers, but also can be used to change barrel lengths in the same caliber--go from a 18" precision weapon to a 14.5" carbine in under 2 min. Granted, it's not quite as easy as swapping out an upper, but it's a whole lot cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are lots of great options out there when looking for a 308 semi-auto/AR platform. The good choices include: LMT, KAC, LaRue, POF, GAP, to name a few.

What I have not seen mentioned yet is the magazine. In the AR platform of any kind, the magazine is the weakest link to a reliable weapon. Unlike an AR15, AR10s do not all use the same magazine. Some use surplus M14 mags, which are plentiful and reliable. Others use proprietary mags specific to their system. They are NOT interchangable. Spare mags can get expensive. In the AR15 platform I have had great success and reliability with PMAGs. There are a few AR10 systems that now use 308 caliber PMAGs. Actually the PMAG was designed to work with the KAC SR25/M110/Mk11 system, as it is current .mil issue. I'm partial to PMAGs as they have been reliable and relatively CHEAP. I would look at a system compatible with PMAGs. I'm not an expert on "all things AR10", but here are a few that I know about:

M14 mags:
-Armalite AR10 -need to be converted to use in AR-10(new version 2012 that accepts KAC mag?)
-Noveske N6
-GAP

KAC/PMAG:
-KAC
-LMT
-LWRC REPR
-LaRue OBR
-JP LRP-07
-POF
-DPMS
-Bushmaster R25

Proprietary:
-Rock River Armory </div></div>

RRA uses FN FAL mags

I went with a LWRC 20in Repr and could not be more pleased. Yes, it's close to 4K for the rig itself buy you get what you pay for. I shoot it stictly suppressed with a TBAC 30P-1 and it's light out to 1000 easily with 175gr SMK from SWA.

Also, I put a offset Burris fastfire II in a predator tactical offset mount for when things get close (its dead on out to 150 yards). Main optic is a built to spec USO 1.8x-10x-37 with all the options.

Ya get what ya pay for. Add training and you can make sh*t happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are lots of great options out there when looking for a 308 semi-auto/AR platform. The good choices include: LMT, KAC, LaRue, POF, GAP, to name a few.

M14 mags:
-Noveske N6
-GAP

KAC/PMAG:
-KAC
-LMT
-LWRC REPR
-LaRue OBR
-JP LRP-07
-POF
-DPMS
-Bushmaster R25

Proprietary:
-Rock River Armory (ETA: FN/FAL--thanks SpiralSeal)

OP: My preference would be a LMT MWS with good optics. The ability to change the barrel is not only useful when it comes to changing calibers, but also can be used to change barrel lengths in the same caliber--go from a 18" precision weapon to a 14.5" carbine in under 2 min. Granted, it's not quite as easy as swapping out an upper, but it's a whole lot cheaper. </div></div>

And GAP uses PMAGS, DPMS, KAC, etc as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And GAP uses PMAGS, DPMS, KAC, etc as well... </div></div>

GAP uses PMAGs/KAC and M14 mags? Or only PMAGs/KAC? If I'm wrong about that, I'll correct it in my original reply. Wasn't sure about GAP, but read somewhere where they used M14 mags.

I had a DPMS LR308 with PRS stock, Geisselle 3 gun trigger, and Nikon glass. It was great for what it was but on my best day I only ever broke sub moa one time. I am also issued a Rem 700 for duty use which I consistently shoot sub moa so it wasn't for lack of ability. I am set with an AR platform as it is what I have used and known for so long. I am issued a colt shorty for an entry gun and have been using them since Army basic training. As a result I decided on that platform and after a lot of research went with an OBR. A fellow marksman from my department has one and it is very accurate for a semi-auto platform. Should be done mid may, my NF scope with the new MOAR should be in by mid April. Once it is up an running I will let you know how the combination works out for me. Every shooter is different so get what you know you will enjoy shooting. If you are able, shoot a few before you make the purchase so you are happy with what you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And GAP uses PMAGS, DPMS, KAC, etc as well... </div></div>

GAP uses PMAGs/KAC and M14 mags? Or only PMAGs/KAC? If I'm wrong about that, I'll correct it in my original reply. Wasn't sure about GAP, but read somewhere where they used M14 mags. </div></div>

I don't know if they use M14 mags, and I don't have one to test out. They come from GAP with a PMAG and I've used DPMS, KAC, and C-Products in mine...

I'm more than happy with my Armalite AR-10A4. After installing a FF tube and Bill Springfield trigger job, I cancelled my Krieger barrel order.

So I have decided to get the LMT MWS now i'm looking for advice on barrel length I'd like to get out to 800 yards with the weapon. I also need advice on some good optics. I want something that will be good out to 800 yards have decent eye relief and be fairly light on this platform. I have looked into the NXS 2.5 x 10-32 it looks appealing what say the masses. Thank you all for your advice on the weapon as well I'll be placing my order next month for it.

I think you'll really be pleased with your decision in regards to the LMT MWS. Sounds like you did your homework on not only the rifle, but the glass to go on top of it. The NXSc 2.5(x32) makes an excellent choice for this particular rifle. I know several folks that run one on their MWSs, and all are extremely satisfied with the combo.

Personally, I think the Rock 16" CL will do all that you require, and then some. It also makes a logical starting place for this particular switch barrel rifle.

I run a NXSc 2.5(x24) on my MWS, and currently I'm sporting the 16" CL. Here are a cpl. recent videos of mine at 800yds....

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnNQT7LsdQk&feature=youtube_gdata"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnNQT7LsdQk&feature=youtube_gdata" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KXS8i8tFQI&feature=youtube_gdata"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KXS8i8tFQI&feature=youtube_gdata" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I was waiting for Trident to chime in with his videos
smile.gif
. I run a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 on mine and love it. There are times when I wish my optic was a bit smaller, but it does the job. I have gotten 5 shot groups as small as .4 MOA out of the gun.

Setting aside any bad feelings on either side of the Larue fence, I would, and did, go with the OBR. I can not say enough good about the workmanship, quality and accuracy.

There are a few good AR10 makers out there including the POF, GAP, LWRC, etc. Just pick one you are comfortable with and don't look back.

I'm jealous you can pull the trigger and actually order one. I'm still trying to see if I can get an MWS but running into "compliance' issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Setting aside any bad feelings on either side of the Larue fence, I would, and did, go with the OBR. I can not say enough good about the workmanship, quality and accuracy.

There are a few good AR10 makers out there including the POF, GAP, LWRC, etc. Just pick one you are comfortable with and don't look back. </div></div>

+1. It's pretty well known who the higher end makers are at this point. Just missing LMT out of that equation.

Lockdown,

Agreed. LMT is definately on the short list.

To the OP: Any of the quality manufacturers of AR10 platforms are going to be gtg. The trick is to narrow down your choices based on your own requirements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If $4000 is your budget in total, I would set aside what you want for an optic first, then consider what your remaining budget is for a rifle.</div></div>

That's how I did it. Very happy with my home built rig.

Larue OBR gets my vote.

I have only shot the jp's. They are very nice.

I personally think if you go out and buy a $4000 AR, and you have never owned or operated one, would be a waste of money. You said it yourself, that you have never owned one, and are not familiar with teh platform. So, why the need to go and spend $6000 (you said $4k for AR and $2K for glass) on something your not familiar with?

When I came on board to SnipersHide, I was a rookie (and I still dont consider myself a seasoned vet by any means). I didnt feel the need to jump right in and spend an assload of cash on something I've never owned before either.

I'm known as a car guy, and I see it like this. If your 16 years old, and obviously havent been acclimated with driving in traffic, do you go and buy a $1 Million dollar Bugati? Just because you can? Or do you go buy a nice car and get used to driving first? THEN go buy that Bugati?
Just because you CAN buy something, doesnt always mean you SHOULD buy it.

I say step into something cheaper, get used to it. Learn on it. break it down. Build it. Shoot it. Update/Upgrade it. THEN go buy that $4000 AR and $2K optics.
Who knows, you may HATE the AR platform.

That's just my take, good luck.

Thank you for serving our country. My Grandpa served in the USAAF during WWII, Top Turret Gunner/Flight Engineer, 31 missions over Germany/France spanning from his 1st mission on Feb 22 1944 until his 31st mission on August 31, 1944, including D-Day. He passed on back in Jan '10. Ive located the pilot of his B-17G, the "Mary Alice", and the pilot is the last living member of thier crew.

You've got my respect for serving our country, as do ALL members of our military, and those are words I dont throw arond lightly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally think if you go out and buy a $4000 AR, and you have never owned or operated one, would be a waste of money. You said it yourself, that you have never owned one, and are not familiar with teh platform. So, why the need to go and spend $6000 (you said $4k for AR and $2K for glass) on something your not familiar with?

When I came on board to SnipersHide, I was a rookie (and I still dont consider myself a seasoned vet by any means). I didnt feel the need to jump right in and spend an assload of cash on something I've never owned before either.

I'm known as a car guy, and I see it like this. If your 16 years old, and obviously havent been acclimated with driving in traffic, do you go and buy a $1 Million dollar Bugati? Just because you can? Or do you go buy a nice car and get used to driving first? THEN go buy that Bugati?

I say step into something cheaper, get used to it. Learn on it. break it down. Build it. Shoot it. Update/Upgrade it. THEN go buy that $4000 AR and $2K optics.

Thank you for serving our country. My Grandpa served in the USAAF during WWII, Top Turret Gunner/Flight Engineer, 31 missions over Germany/France spanning from his 1st mission on Feb 22 1944 until his 31st mission on August 31, 1944, including D-Day. He passed on back in Jan '10. Ive located the pilot of his B-17G, the "Mary Alice", and the pilot is the last living member of thier crew.

You've got my respect for serving our country, as do ALL members of our military, and those are words I dont throw arond lightly. </div></div>

I don't agree man, I think if you know you are going to stick to this hobby, jump right in with the good stuff. No use messing around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally think if you go out and buy a $4000 AR, and you have never owned or operated one, would be a waste of money. You said it yourself, that you have never owned one, and are not familiar with teh platform. So, why the need to go and spend $6000 (you said $4k for AR and $2K for glass) on something your not familiar with?

You've got my respect for serving our country, as do ALL members of our military, and those are words I dont throw arond lightly. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I don't agree man, I think if you know you are going to stick to this hobby, jump right in with the good stuff. No use messing around. </span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Jump right in, I did.</span></div></div>

These two guys sum it up. When I decided I wanted to get into precision shooting, I decided to forego the DPMS and jump straight to what I wanted – the POF. If you KNOW what you want, get it and don't look back rather than buy something of lesser quality and lose money on it down the road. As I'm sure you've read on here already; buy once, cry once. If you don't have the money for exactly what you want, save your pennies until you do. You'll be much happier with your purchase.