• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

500$ for reloading equipment setup?

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm looking into getting into reloading. Primary cartridge will be 308 win for a 700 5R.

I'm thinking of getting:
RCBS rockchucker - 130$
MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 40$
RCBS Shell holder 7$
Satern Powder Funnel 10$
Redding #5 Powder Trickler 20$
Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz 7$
L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool 20$
RCBS Hand Priming Tool (Is this the best hand priming or should I do press priming?) 40$
Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer -25$
Above ~300$

Leaves me with ~200$ for the below

Powder Throw (Which?)
Set of 308 Dies (Which?)
Tumbler and separator (Which?)

I'm just overwhelemed at the moment. Need a sanity check. This is cobbled together from a few people's beginners lists some of which may be out of date. I just need some feed back if this is good stuff, or if there's better stuff or if I really need to spend 5 or 50$ more here or there and what not.

I've been looking at the non-electronic/weighing powder throws. I don't see why I should need the 350$ ones. If that's wrong, let me know but between the trickler, the scale, and a standard thrower, it seems I could do the same, but be slower. Being that it's 300$ more, that's almost twice the investment to recoupe it seems like it's a bit much.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Re: 500$ for reloading equipment setup?

Your list looks good. This is almost the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs ETC. debate. Everyone has their personal preference.

I bought the LEE turret kit for about $120 shipped. THere are somethings I like about the LEE kit and somethings I think they droped the ball on. It's a great way to get started though.

I think if I had to do it again I might go with the RCBS rock chucker kit going for about $300 + they have great customer service, lifetime warranty, and a rebate or the Lyman Expert Reloading Kit going for about $350. You still have the cost of the dies.

I'm sure more experinced reloaders will chime in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS Hand Priming Tool (Is this the best hand priming or should I do press priming?) 40$</div></div>People have said that you get better feel for the priming process using a hand tool. Trusting that, I bought a hand primer and like it. It's one less step I have to do out in the garage
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz 7$</div></div>The wax seems unnecessarily messy compared to the sprays that are available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder Throw (Which?)</div></div>I had good luck with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure that I borrowed for a year. I just got my Chargemaster though and am excited to try it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tumbler and separator (Which?)</div></div>
I started out with a borrowed vibratory tumbler using the walnut media. Now that I saved up my money I went with the rotating tumbler and the SS media. I'm glad I did, but everyone's financial situation is different. I'm still separating media by hand, but I've got another Midway order to place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CBS rockchucker - 130$</div></div>
Of all the things I borrowed before buying my own, the only thing I replaced exactly was the Lee Classic Cast press. It's on sale for $90 which would give you another $40 to put else where. I don't have experience with any other presses, but I can't imagine it giving up much to the RCBS.

I'm sure the more experienced guys will have much more to add, but that's my input for now.

MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 40$

Get a set of beam scales instead.

I think the rock chucker is the way to go.

I wouldn't spend $10 on a powder funnel. Can't remember what I got but it works fine and cost $2

If you are loading for a precision bolt gun, I would skip the powder measure for now. If you do get one, any of the "ball valve" types work great. I have an old rcbs uniflow and its a dandy.

Instead of the wilson debur tool, id recommend the lyman tool that has the 22* VLD inside chamfering tool, outside debur, primer pocket cleaner and primer pocket uniformer. I just got one for $20 at cabelas and it comes with billet aluminum anodized (orange) handles that thread together giving you a place to store all the "bits". Each bit has a small shank you can chuck in a drill for when you have more experience.

$20 case trimmer? I don't see how that's gonna be worth a damn. Don't waste your money. Either skip this tool for now, get the wilson, or save up for a gracie power trimmer. Don't consider ANY other crank type than the wilson. You can get by ok for a while without one at all.

I prime with the press, I like it although the rcbs hand tool is good too. Does the press come with the priming stuff, or is it extra? If it comes with it....rock that for a while and save the $50.

Dies...oh boy.... Assuming you have a good bolt gun you need:

Full length sizer - recommend forster/redding sling sleeve type
Neck only sizer - recommend a bushing die forster/redding sliding sleeve
Shoulder bump die - sets back shoulder only
Seater - recommend a forster or redding "sliding sleeve" type - very precise... awful nice to have a micrometer adjusted on it but not REQUIRED

It would be nice a mandrel die that will open case necks and make them round - but you can get one later.

Its imperative you have a measuring caliper on hand while reloading. You'll use it all the time. A harbor freight dial caliper is $15 and will do you just fine.

Any old vibratory tumbler will be fine. A 5 gallon bucket and some wire mesh from lowes does a very fair job sifting.

You can buy pure liquid lanolin from amazon.com, and get some 99% isopropyl alcohol... mix 4oz lanolin to 16 oz alcohol and you have YEARS worth of case lube for $10.

Consider a flash hole deburring tool. Any brand that has an adjustable stop is fine.

It is almost imperative you get a bullet puller. The inertial ones (hammer) work well enough. You will make mistakes and want to take ammo apart on a regular enough basis to need one of these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zack-s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 40$

Get a set of beam scales instead. </div></div>
+1
I have a beam scale and a digital scale, the digital scale stays in the drawer.
SScott

Interesting. I have a beam and digital scale and I always use the digital. Here's why: I literally use a long handled teaspoon (not the measuring kind - the coffee stirring kind) to dip powder from into the weigh boat. Because the digital scale reads out weight real time, I get feedback on how much powder I've dipped each time. With practice, I've gotten good at almost dipping the correct amount of powder on the first try. I find this easier than throwing a charge into a shotglass, then pouring that into the weigh boat, then trickling. I just dip, see where I am dip again, then use the spoon to add/subtract the last few kernels of powder as required. Invariably, with the trickler, ill go too far and end up picking kernels out of the boat with a spoon. I can charge a case to +/- .02gr in about 30 seconds this way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS Hand Priming Tool (Is this the best hand priming or should I do press priming?) 40$</div></div>People have said that you get better feel for the priming process using a hand tool. Trusting that, I bought a hand primer and like it. It's one less step I have to do out in the garage
laugh.gif
</div></div> I'm all for keeping my self out of the garage as much as possible. I really enjoy watching TV while I clean guns, sort brass, etc and would like to keep as many operations in the living room as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz 7$</div></div>The wax seems unnecessarily messy compared to the sprays that are available.</div></div> Works for me, I'll get some spray lube then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder Throw (Which?)</div></div>I had good luck with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure that I borrowed for a year. I just got my Chargemaster though and am excited to try it out.</div></div> let me know how you like it. I haven't found too many direct comparisons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tumbler and separator (Which?)</div></div>
I started out with a borrowed vibratory tumbler using the walnut media. Now that I saved up my money I went with the rotating tumbler and the SS media. I'm glad I did, but everyone's financial situation is different. I'm still separating media by hand, but I've got another Midway order to place.</div></div>I don't mind spending the extra money for something that's worth it, I don't feel like spending money just to spend money though. Do you think it's worth it or are there better places to spend the money?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure the more experienced guys will have much more to add, but that's my input for now.</div></div> Thanks for the input!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saleen308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your list looks good. This is almost the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs ETC. debate. Everyone has their personal preference.

I bought the LEE turret kit for about $120 shipped. THere are somethings I like about the LEE kit and somethings I think they droped the ball on. It's a great way to get started though.

I think if I had to do it again I might go with the RCBS rock chucker kit going for about $300 + they have great customer service, lifetime warranty, and a rebate or the Lyman Expert Reloading Kit going for about $350. You still have the cost of the dies.

I'm sure more experinced reloaders will chime in.</div></div> Thanks for the feed back. That's part of the problem I'm having is seperating what's the ford v chevy items and what's the ford ferrari options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the rock chucker is the way to go.</div></div> Ok thanks for vote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't spend $10 on a powder funnel. Can't remember what I got but it works fine and cost $2</div></div> I had heard they were better because they didn't suffer from static like some of the plastic ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are loading for a precision bolt gun, I would skip the powder measure for now. If you do get one, any of the "ball valve" types work great. I have an old rcbs uniflow and its a dandy.
Yeah those were the type I was thinking about. I'll probably reload some 9mm with this setup as well so I figured it would be cross applicable.

Instead of the wilson debur tool, id recommend the lyman tool that has the 22* VLD inside chamfering tool, outside debur, primer pocket cleaner and primer pocket uniformer. I just got one for $20 at cabelas and it comes with billet aluminum anodized (orange) handles that thread together giving you a place to store all the "bits". Each bit has a small shank you can chuck in a drill for when you have more experience.

$20 case trimmer? I don't see how that's gonna be worth a damn. Don't waste your money. Either skip this tool for now, get the wilson, or save up for a gracie power trimmer. Don't consider ANY other crank type than the wilson. You can get by ok for a while without one at all.</div></div> ok thanks, this is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I know you can spend hundreds trying different 10-20$ tools to find the ones that are worth the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prime with the press, I like it although the rcbs hand tool is good too. Does the press come with the priming stuff, or is it extra? If it comes with it....rock that for a while and save the $50.</div></div> I don't think it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dies...oh boy....</div></div> My thoughts exactly
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Assuming you have a good bolt gun you need:

Full length sizer - recommend forster/redding sling sleeve type
Neck only sizer - recommend a bushing die forster/redding sliding sleeve
Shoulder bump die - sets back shoulder only
Seater - recommend a forster or redding "sliding sleeve" type - very precise... awful nice to have a micrometer adjusted on it but not REQUIRED

It would be nice a mandrel die that will open case necks and make them round - but you can get one later.</div></div>Ok thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its imperative you have a measuring caliper on hand while reloading. You'll use it all the time. A harbor freight dial caliper is $15 and will do you just fine.</div></div> I've got a cheap digital one at home, although I might borrow one of the nice starrett digital ones from work to double check the accuracy of the cheap pair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any old vibratory tumbler will be fine. A 5 gallon bucket and some wire mesh from lowes does a very fair job sifting.</div></div> Ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can buy pure liquid lanolin from amazon.com, and get some 99% isopropyl alcohol... mix 4oz lanolin to 16 oz alcohol and you have YEARS worth of case lube for $10.</div></div> ok, I wasn't worrying about that too hard simply because the relative cost.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider a flash hole deburring tool. Any brand that has an adjustable stop is fine.</div></div> Will do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is almost imperative you get a bullet puller. The inertial ones (hammer) work well enough. You will make mistakes and want to take ammo apart on a regular enough basis to need one of these.</div></div> ok.

Thanks a bunch for the feed back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zack-s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 40$

+1
I have a beam scale and a digital scale, the digital scale stays in the drawer.
SScott </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zack-s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 40$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting. I have a beam and digital scale and I always use the digital. Here's why: I literally use a long handled teaspoon (not the measuring kind - the coffee stirring kind) to dip powder from into the weigh boat. Because the digital scale reads out weight real time, I get feedback on how much powder I've dipped each time. With practice, I've gotten good at almost dipping the correct amount of powder on the first try. I find this easier than throwing a charge into a shotglass, then pouring that into the weigh boat, then trickling. I just dip, see where I am dip again, then use the spoon to add/subtract the last few kernels of powder as required. Invariably, with the trickler, ill go too far and end up picking kernels out of the boat with a spoon. I can charge a case to +/- .02gr in about 30 seconds this way. </div></div>

Is this a ford chevy item or is one really better than the other? The beam scales that come in the kits look really crappy. Are there better quality ones out there or something?

Bi-Mart has good priced reloading supplies available here in the Northwest.

Possibly compare to starting with a kit, then add any extras desired.

http://www.bimart.com/skudetail.aspx?loc=k.394923_s.623A_c.63A_d.57&nm=Ammunition

Master Reloading Kit
Rcbs

Includes: Rock Chucker Supreme press, 5-0-5 mechanical scale, hand priming tool, Uniflow powder measure, case lube pad, case lube-2, case neck brushes, case loading block, powder funnel, Hex wrench set, Debur tool and Speer reloading manual.

SKU: 394923
$319.97

Here is their store locator.
http://www.bimart.com/stores/index.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is this a ford chevy item or is one really better than the other? The beam scales that come in the kits look really crappy. Are there better quality ones out there or something? </div></div>
What kit are you talking about? The RCBS kit comes with teh 505 which I believe are made by Ohaus. Digital scales are only good for weighing brass unless you buy a acculab or other big $ scale. A decent set of balance beams will serve you better.

One of the first things to do is use proper terminology. It is not a powder dump nor is it a powder throw, it IS a POWDER MEASURE. Glad I could help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zack-s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is this a ford chevy item or is one really better than the other? The beam scales that come in the kits look really crappy. Are there better quality ones out there or something? </div></div>
What kit are you talking about? The RCBS kit comes with teh 505 which I believe are made by Ohaus. Digital scales are only good for weighing brass unless you buy a acculab or other big $ scale. A decent set of balance beams will serve you better. </div></div>

Cabelas had one of the kits opened and on display (RCBS I think? Not sure) and the beam scale looked like a cheap and flimsy piece of plastic.

I did look through a bunch of the electronic scales and I have no doubts some of them are crap (accuracy of +/- 0.1 GRAM instead of GRAIN).

Edit: just looked up the 505, that is NOT what was in the kit I looked at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tumbler and separator (Which?)</div></div>
I started out with a borrowed vibratory tumbler using the walnut media. Now that I saved up my money I went with the rotating tumbler and the SS media. I'm glad I did, but everyone's financial situation is different. I'm still separating media by hand, but I've got another Midway order to place.</div></div>I don't mind spending the extra money for something that's worth it, I don't feel like spending money just to spend money though. Do you think it's worth it or are there better places to spend the money?</div></div>I would say there are better, more important places to spend the money when starting out. I found the vibratory a little messy (I used the walnut media with rouge) the media was always static clinging to everything and the rouge dust got everywhere. With your budget though, I wouldn't sweat it and get the vibratory tumbler.

I also agree with the guy about the Satern funnel. Sure, the plastic ones can get a little static-y but a couple rapid, light taps from the scale's dish and all the powder falls into the case.