• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Grendel precision bolt gun?

macab0ne

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2014
central NY
I have been reading up on different rounds and what the pros and cons of them are and what they are capable of. I was wondering why there are not more 6.5 Grendel precision bolt rifles out there? Reading about this round it seems like it has a lot going for it, specially in a shorter barreled rifle the difference between the Grendel and other 6.5 rounds like the creedmoore and lapua 47 seem to be greatly diminished. Being new to long range shooting I have little real experience with any of these rounds but was hoping someone who does could tell of their experiences.

Chris

Why? quite obvious. The Grendel was designed around the limitations of the ar15. In a bolt gun the sky is the limit. 6.5 creed, 6.5x47 lapua, .260 rem can push the heavier better BC pills. The Grendel is limited to 120class and under.

also the Grendel has a somewhat oddball bolt face...same as 6PPC/22PPC/220 Russian

Get it in an AR. It will reach out to 1200 yards no problem. It will shoot the larger pills... just better out of a bolt gun so you can increase the OAL.. since you are not limited to the mag length

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Get it in an AR. It will reach out to 1200 yards no problem. It will shoot the larger pills... just better out of a bolt gun so you can increase the OAL.. since you are not limited to the mag length

No...there is not enough case capacity to make shooting heavier projectiles worth it.

Isn't the barrel life much better with the Grendel than the others? If it is you can keep your big pills.

I have been reading up on different rounds and what the pros and cons of them are and what they are capable of. I was wondering why there are not more 6.5 Grendel precision bolt rifles out there? Reading about this round it seems like it has a lot going for it, specially in a shorter barreled rifle the difference between the Grendel and other 6.5 rounds like the creedmoore and lapua 47 seem to be greatly diminished. Being new to long range shooting I have little real experience with any of these rounds but was hoping someone who does could tell of their experiences.

Chris

Mag system becomes a bit of an issue with the 6.5 Grendel as even with 130 JLKs seated with BT / B @ N / S you are only in the 2.550 - 2.600" OAL range.

24" Grendel bolt rifle I'm seeing:

140 JLKs @ 2500 fps
130 JLKs @ 2625 fps
120 Berger @ 2750-2800 fps
I'm getting 2550-2600 fps from a 21" bbl'ed AR with the 120s by comparison.

I can push to higher velocities but accuracy and case life suffer greatly.

Rebarreling a CZ 527 would be decent choice but I'm not sure on max OAL for that mag.
Action choice for a repeater becomes pretty skinny and available magazine systems are not really geared for the Grendel.

Grendel with 32ish gr of usable case capacity just doesn't have the "displacement" to keep up with the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5X47 Lapua or 260.

R&R flash targets, Grendel is getting pretty anemic @ 650 and needs a high hit on 8" plate to "flash" with the 130 JLKs at 2625.

Cost of brass, achievable velocities, etc....I'd stick with Creedmoor, X47 or 260 as any of the three will greatly exceed the 6.5 G from a short barreled rifle. Grendel's appeal is what it offers via AR platform, though I think the 6mmAR is a better choice. I'll know more when I get the 6mmAR put together and have some hard data from 20" AR bbl. Might do a bolt rifle for a comparison in 6mmAR chambering also.

Thanks for all the info guys! My question was more out of curiosity than the desire to build a rifle around this caliber. I see a lot of people with .223 bolt gun and never one in 6.5 grendle it just seemed a bit odd to me but you all bring up some good points. If I were to ever build an AR it would be on this platform but being in NY that is a bit out of the question unfortunately. Honestly I was researching the 6.5 creedmoore and came across the grendle and had never heard of it before, just wanted to know a little more. Again thank you for the info I can tell I am going to learn a lot hanging around here.

I shoot both a Rem 260 bolt action and a 6.5 Grendel rifle with the local long range precision field/match club. The 260 is a far superior round once you get past 800 yards. My 24" Rem 260 shoots 140 gr bullets at 2880 FPS. My 20" Grendel shoots 123 gr bullets at 2480 FPS. The difference in windage at 1000 yds with a 10 MPH cross wind is about 26".

I am getting 2585 out of a 24" AA with 123 AMAX. With 120 SMK I am at almost 2640

I shoot both a Rem 260 bolt action and a 6.5 Grendel rifle with the local long range precision field/match club. The 260 is a far superior round once you get past 800 yards. My 24" Rem 260 shoots 140 gr bullets at 2880 FPS. My 20" Grendel shoots 123 gr bullets at 2480 FPS. The difference in windage at 1000 yds with a 10 MPH cross wind is about 26".

Running a 6.5 Grendel bolt rifle or in AR? If a bolt rifle, what action did you build on? What magazines are you running?

Sorry AR. Mags from AA. So whoever their supplier is

I re-barreled a CZ 527 7.62x39 carbine for the 6 RAT, a necked-down, blown-out 6.5 Grendel (sort of a miniature 6 Dasher). It doesn't feed 100% reliably out of the CZ mag - usually it's the 1st round that gives problems, while the next one feeds fine. I get around 2780fps with 85-87gr 6mm bullets, and 2730fps is about it with 105s using RL15. Krieger bbl is 24" long, and gives good accuracy; with a Sightron Big Sky 4.5-14x42 scope mounted in the factory steel rings, it weighs about 8-1/2lbs - fun little rifle to carry, and would do the job on coyotes, and even deer out to 200+yds.

My 1st choice for a donor action would've been one of those sweet little PPC Sako repeaters they made for a couple of years back in the '80s - but when one comes up for sale on Gun Broker, it usually brings over $1400.....sweet, but out of my league.

Mine is out being built. Went with a model 7 action and a 1-8.5" twist Bartlein #3 for a hunting rifle. I tried feeding some 6ppc through it before I shipped it out and it looks like it will work with minimal tweaking. I'm going with a 22" barrel planning on shooting 100gr Nosler Ballistic tips for pigs, and may try some Sierra 85gr. on Coyotes and ground squirrels.