• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

8.6 Blk reloading info

I am having a 6.5 twist made, the reamer is already here. Most 3 twist barrels from Faxon have been total junk. I aggressively lapped mine, that helped smoothness but it's basically still junk, with torn rifling especially at the start. Achieved the best accuracy and single digit with this load in the 3 twist ... no other combinations came close...for those still trying to make the 3 twist work. It's just a bad idea,
limiting the cartridge.

Attachments

• 20230428_150953.jpg
    20230428_150953.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 103
I am having a 6.5 twist made, the reamer is already here. Most 3 twist barrels from Faxon have been total junk. I aggressively lapped mine, that helped smoothness but it's basically still junk, with torn rifling especially at the start. Achieved the best accuracy and single digit with this load in the 3 twist ... no other combinations came close...for those still trying to make the 3 twist work. It's just a bad idea,
limiting the cartridge.
What kind of accuracy were you getting with that load? Do you have a method for testing the subsonic expanding projectiles? Interested in how the slower twist is going to compare. I’m going to wait to order a Mos-Tek 8.6 barrel if it works out well with subsonic expanding projectiles.

What kind of accuracy were you getting with that load? Do you have a method for testing the subsonic expanding projectiles? Interested in how the slower twist is going to compare. I’m going to wait to order a Mos-Tek 8.6 barrel if it works out well with subsonic expanding projectiles.
This is at 75 yds with a 27X scope, so about a 2" 100 yd 10 shot group is the very best I achieved out of all the bullets tried ...the 300 Sierra MK was about the same but with AA 1680, but higher S/D at 75 yds. So IMR 4198 300 gr Berger was the winner. I do not have an expansion test medium, other than simple water jugs...but I doubt any of these expand, as is. The 225 gr tipped GMX copper bullets tried had double the group size at 50 yds and 5 shots... velocity a bit too high into 1150 fps ave the high velocity was also disappointing with about 1900 fps. According to Hornady the minimum muzzle velocity is 2500 fps for reliable expansion...so they won't work even at maximum effort from the 8.6 in a 16" barrel...according to the manufacturer.
"The bullet" would be the Hornady FTX Marlin express 200 gr 338 at maximum effort (super sonic) in the 8.6 blackout it has a minimum expansion velocity of 1800 fps...But Not in a 3 twist! The 3 twist limits the killing power as it confines bullets to low nonexpanding velocities...subs are fun, but I want to be able to shoot the supers too...where the real performance is at for hunting.

Attachments

• 20231030_155457.jpg
    20231030_155457.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 50
Everything is torqued to spec and I am shooting off a bipod with concrete bench and I have shot many groups in the 2s from a bipod even some in the 1s I’m thanking it’s the barrel from wat I am hearing
Hornady # 332704 - 185 gr. CX Polymer Tipped Boat Tail (GMX Replacement)
Powder: TAC 32.5 gr
TESTED OK 16 inch barrel. Good Groups.
Powder: CFE 223 33.0 gr TESTED OK

Would people here be so kind as to share their Maker 350gr REX load data? I found that with my 8" barrel, the following works from a muzzle velocity perspective:

15.5gr of Hodgdon Lil Gun + CCI 200 LRP + 2.810 COAL = 1057 fps
17.3gr of Hodgdon H110 + CCI 200 LRP + 2.810 COAL = 1042 fps

I have not grouped these rounds yet, so I do not know how accurate these loads are. The problem I have run into, though, is that they are having trouble chambering rounds from Magpul PMAGs in my Aero M5 upper/lower. It happens when I release the bolt to chamber the first round in the magazine and the bolt will ride over the top of the brass and cause a jam (picture below). I spoke to my gunsmith about the issue and he advised that the rounds are riding the shoulder guides. He said I could file down the shoulder guides in the magazines to prevent this, but I was curious first if anybody else has run into this issue and had any luck getting around this with a different COAL or perhaps a different magazine.

View attachment 8074496

I didn't see anyone reply to this.

I built an AR10 using a complete Aero M5 upper and had to file the feed ramps on the barrel also. Mine didn't hang up like yours is, but I also used an Aero for my 8.6BLK build I have yet to complete... I will be inspecting it very closely

I didn't see anyone reply to this.

I built an AR10 using a complete Aero M5 upper and had to file the feed ramps on the barrel also. Mine didn't hang up like yours is, but I also used an Aero for my 8.6BLK build I have yet to complete... I will be inspecting it very closely
I ended up getting the feed ramps on my upper polished. I haven't had any problems chambering rounds in a while with mine. Usually if I do, it is a brass issue. Thankfully there is factory Vairog brass available now so I don't have to use converted Hornady brass anymore.

Feel free to join the 8.6 Blackout Discord...Lots of good people and info here: https://discord.gg/buMR4YKV

Would people here be so kind as to share their Maker 350gr REX load data? I found that with my 8" barrel, the following works from a muzzle velocity perspective:

I have not grouped these rounds yet, so I do not know how accurate these loads are. The problem I have run into, though, is that they are having trouble chambering rounds from Magpul PMAGs in my Aero M5 upper/lower. It happens when I release the bolt to chamber the first round in the magazine and the bolt will ride over the top of the brass and cause a jam (picture below). I spoke to my gunsmith about the issue and he advised that the rounds are riding the shoulder guides. He said I could file down the shoulder guides in the magazines to prevent this, but I was curious first if anybody else has run into this issue and had any luck getting around this with a different COAL or perhaps a different magazine.

View attachment 8074496
I got sub MOA with a similar load. I’m using a mix of Gorilla and early Q brass, BR2’s, 14.9 grains of Lil Gun. 1.951 CBTO. I was using lancer mags out of a bolt gun. Only loaded a few up to test them. MV was 1016, 1009 and 1004. Temp was around 40 degrees.

I have heard that. What length barrel are you using?
this was in a 12" with can. Was getting ready for a deer hunt and thought the labradar was out of whack it was terrible. Accuracy wasnt great. I reloaded subs and i was was getting way better performance and groups out of the subs. Defintely a round to reload given the crappy quality of Gorilla

View attachment 8074496
Use lancer L7 AWM mags. Fixed that problem for me.

Something I’ve found that has been looking to be helpful for lowering SD and ES in subsonic is weighing primers. I’m using Lil’ Gun and N110, testing different charge weights for 350 grain makers. I am getting SDs in the single digits. Examples are: 2/3 were the same MV and one outlier at +7 fps. Another charge had a SD of 1.5 and ES of 3. A load with varying primer weight (each primer varied in weight by .1 grain) had a SD of 16 and ES of 31. Groups are looking a lot better too.

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson
The Gorilla factory loads are absolutely horrible for factory ammo - extreme spreads > 150 fps over 5 rounds same box for the supers.
Interesting. I had decent results with them. Just at MOA at 100 yards averaged 1047 fps and std dev of 13.5fps out of 16” Mos-Tek barrel. Not perfect but good until I load my own. It would have been closer but had one slow shot at 1008 out of 20 shots. The rest ranged from 1039-1065.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hey boys,
I finally got to hunt with my 8.6 build this weekend. I’ve tried several powders and bullets, and currently I’m running hornady 285gn eldm’s with 14.5gn of 1680. MV with my 16” bolt gun is right at 1090fps. Average groups are consistently 1-1.5 moa with the occasional sub moa 5 shot group.

Below is a nice sized sow I took with one shot at close to the 100yd mark. I was surprised and impressed that the bullet blew through both shoulders and the amount of terminal ballistics was more than satisfactory.

Question- when I was loading for a 300 blackout bolt gun years back, I found that lil’ gun was the quietest powder I had found at that time and produced the same velocities.
I’ve looked through the pages, but would like to know if any of you fellas would mind sharing your Hodgdon Lil’ Gun loadings with the 285 eldm or 230 eldx, or of course any other projectiles.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
7C5367AA-6BF9-48D2-95E7-2294F8C0EB8C.jpeg
8349328F-B5B5-44C1-8B6B-B4ABB4217C40.jpeg

Almost got it…
285 ELD-M
15.3gr A1680 1010fps OAL 2.810

250 Peregrine Bushmaster
23.0 gr A2200 1350 fps OAL 2.505

Also loaded some 250 Interlok RN OAL 9.8 gr Bullseye 1030fps, but they’re too far from the lands for accuracy and high pressure.

Waiting on 220 Cutting Edge Raptors.
I’m loving the Peregrines!

Curious about your OAL on the 285 ELD-M

Out of everyone on this forum I believe you are running at the longest OAL i've read which is still under the spec of 2.825

Can you comment on how well this length and the ELD-M has worked out for you?
I will be using an AR10 based rifle which usually prompts me to stay on the shorter side of OAL but I just loaded my first rounds up at 2.803 which felt long reading everyone else's specs...

load in development is:

285gr ELD-M
Hornady 6.5CM resized brass 6.5>308>trim>8.6
14.5gr Accurate 1680
OAL 2.803

Rfile:
12" pistol length gas Faxon barrel
adjustable gas block
carbine buffer system with H2/H3(?)
joining soon is Dead Air Primal

Out of everyone on this forum I believe you are running at the longest OAL i've read which is still under the spec of 2.825

I will be using an AR10 based rifle which usually prompts me to stay on the shorter side of OAL but I just loaded my first rounds up at 2.803 which felt long reading everyone else's specs...

load in development is:

285gr ELD-M
14.5gr Accurate 1680
OAL 2.803

Rfile:
adjustable gas block
2.760” shoots best for me.

Reactions: fortify503

load in development is:

285gr ELD-M
14.5gr Accurate 1680
OAL 2.803

Rfile:
adjustable gas block
I would strongly recommend switching your powder over to Vihtavuori N110 or Hodgdon Lil Gun. AA1680 is super dirty, gassy, and loud. I did some testing with TBAC on my 8" AR-10 and we found that Lil Gun was 2.5db quieter than AA1680. We didn't measure N110 but it is definitely quieter than Lil Gun. N110 is also much, much cleaner. There is just no reason to run AA1680 unless you are having issues cycling.

I would strongly recommend switching your powder over to Vihtavuori N110 or Hodgdon Lil Gun. AA1680 is super dirty, gassy, and loud. I did some testing with TBAC on my 8" AR-10 and we found that Lil Gun was 2.5db quieter than AA1680. We didn't measure N110 but it is definitely quieter than Lil Gun. N110 is also much, much cleaner. There is just no reason to run AA1680 unless you are having issues cycling.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I would rather run Accurate 1680 in this wildcat rifle than use it for any of my other rifle platforms specifically for those same reasons.
I've got 5lbs. that has been collecting dust since it was the only thing I could source during the primer and powder pandemic...
Thought i'd use it as my excuse to dive into the 8.6 development :)

IMG_3518.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-04 17:00:45.910058.jpg

Not sure what is going on with loads lately. Above is 14.9 grains of N110, BR2 and 350 grain Makers at a CBTO of 1.943”. I made sure everything was just about equal and did a load development with the combo. Test several shots with a batch and this is the result. I thought I was expecting too much out of subsonic ammunition but can get 1 MOA out of 300 BO subsonic. Has anyone tried the MOS-TEK 8.6 barrels in 1:6.5?

Some other notes, I did 9 grains of Unique with the 350 makers. GRT gave me a velocity of about 1000 fps. Actual velocity was 400 fps. I sat the 350s all the way down to 1.900” using 15 grains of N110 and started getting a heavy bolt and ejector swipes.

Becareful with the 8.6 blackout, experimental loads can be very dangerous in this small case, big pressure spikes happens with each .030" decrease in COAL. And be sure the bullet exits the barrel before shooting the next round. ..650 fps for jacketed bullets should be your minimum velocity to make sure the bullet exits, for each shot. Haven't heard from the barrel maker, who's past due on the lead time of my 6.5 twist 8.6 Blackout barrel... have the finish reamer and the 700 action is trued...but no barrel blank...yet. So, I haven't been messing with the cartridge because I felt I was wasting ammo on the 3 twist...

Ok guys and gals I’m on the edge of selling everything I got in 8.6blackout I have a 12in faxon remage barrel on a tenacity action that I can not get to shoot at all I have 350gr maker bullets and 285gr hornady bullets I want this thing to shoot subs and I have tried all the recommended load data with h110 and 1680 at 2.810 oal and around that and same goes for the 285eldms I have tried all the load data for it and it just won’t shoot nothing it just keeps throwing them all over the place the scope is a arken ep5 I know it’s good as I took it if my dasher to use someone come save me on this 8.6 blk road befor I jump offf thanks

Ps I’m using Q 8.6 brass
I have the same setup and same problem. Its the barrel. I am getting a new 1:3 twist barrel shortly (from faxon) but I am also having a 1:6.5 twist spun up for me. I hope to have answers in the coming months.

Reactions: 6.5guys2
Hey boys,
I finally got to hunt with my 8.6 build this weekend. I’ve tried several powders and bullets, and currently I’m running hornady 285gn eldm’s with 14.5gn of 1680. MV with my 16” bolt gun is right at 1090fps. Average groups are consistently 1-1.5 moa with the occasional sub moa 5 shot group.

Below is a nice sized sow I took with one shot at close to the 100yd mark. I was surprised and impressed that the bullet blew through both shoulders and the amount of terminal ballistics was more than satisfactory.

Question- when I was loading for a 300 blackout bolt gun years back, I found that lil’ gun was the quietest powder I had found at that time and produced the same velocities.
I’ve looked through the pages, but would like to know if any of you fellas would mind sharing your Hodgdon Lil’ Gun loadings with the 285 eldm or 230 eldx, or of course any other projectiles.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
View attachment 8302725View attachment 8302726
What stock is that?

Becareful with the 8.6 blackout, experimental loads can be very dangerous in this small case, big pressure spikes happens with each .030" decrease in COAL. And be sure the bullet exits the barrel before shooting the next round. ..650 fps for jacketed bullets should be your minimum velocity to make sure the bullet exits, for each shot. Haven't heard from the barrel maker, who's past due on the lead time of my 6.5 twist 8.6 Blackout barrel... have the finish reamer and the 700 action is trued...but no barrel blank...yet. So, I haven't been messing with the cartridge because I felt I was wasting ammo on the 3 twist...
Thanks dad.

Has anyone tried CFE-Blk with the Barnes 210gr TSX? I am thinking of starting at 33.5gr and going up to 34.5 as a test. This will be in a bolt gun. I have ran it in GRT and it is showing a 60k pressure at the max load. I was hoping someone had quickloads or another program could double check me.

Case: Gorilla
Bullet: Barnes 210gr TSX #30410
Primer: Remington 9 1/2
Case capacity in water: 45.5gr
O.A.L.: 2.650
Barrel: 16" Faxon

Thanks,
Greg

Has anyone tried CFE-Blk with the Barnes 210gr TSX? I am thinking of starting at 33.5gr and going up to 34.5 as a test. This will be in a bolt gun. I have ran it in GRT and it is showing a 60k pressure at the max load. I was hoping someone had quickloads or another program could double check me.

Thanks,
Greg
Depends on bullet length...which is absent
But if its 1.473" for the bullet.
A bolt gun ...maybe 33.7 gr aprox 58265 psi 34.0 gr over 60,000 psi. CFE-Blk.
Pressure jumps fast in a small case.
But this is not exact, but a guesstimate...
Always have to work up...pressure signs will tell ya.
Not... for use in weak bolt semi auto, at all.

Reactions: GregP42
Depends on bullet length...which is absent
But if its 1.473" for the bullet.
A bolt gun ...maybe 33.7 gr aprox 58265 psi 34.0 gr over 60,000 psi. CFE-Blk.
Pressure jumps fast in a small case.
But this is not exact, but a guesstimate...
Always have to work up...pressure signs will tell ya.
Not... for use in weak bolt semi auto, at all.

Thank you and I forgot that and was hoping since I gave the part number it would be ok, had to find the calipers in the reloading room :( These are 1.356 oal.

Greg

Reactions: 45-90
Thank you and I forgot that and was hoping since I gave the part number it would be ok, had to find the calipers in the reloading room :( These are 1.356 oal.

Greg
Yes, COAL and bullet length changes case capacity...drastically in a small case, which changes pressure.
At 2.650" COAL, 45.5 gr h20 case cap, bullet 1.356 long copper 338 dia 210 gr
This shows ,"A reference" a max 35.3 gr CFE BLK 58434 PSI ...
Any changes in components or seating depth makes a large jump in pressure...so be careful the max may be lower in your bolt gun.
Work up slowly checking for pressure signs, and case longevity.
For comparison 31.9 gr of AA1680 31.9 gr gets similar velocity and pressure...for comparison, with the same bullet and parameters set down.
For informational purposes.

Reactions: GregP42
Bullet length: 1.356
Powder: CFEBlk
Charge: 33.8gr
FPS: 2110
Action: Remington 700
Weather: Rain, 57f

Over all the tested load shot well, primers were still nice and round, standard deviation was 12fps for the 5 rounds tested.
The tested load at 50 yards grouped into 3/4" at first testing. Recoil was normal, nothing sharp, bolt lift was normal as well.
No shiny spots on brass heads and no lines around webbing. I am going to increase the load to 34gr and test again.
This is just for informational purposes, do not try this at home, safe in my build, may not be in yours.
Only targets and backstop were hurt in this testing.

Greg

View attachment 8314630View attachment 8314631
Not sure what is going on with loads lately. Above is 14.9 grains of N110, BR2 and 350 grain Makers at a CBTO of 1.943”. I made sure everything was just about equal and did a load development with the combo. Test several shots with a batch and this is the result. I thought I was expecting too much out of subsonic ammunition but can get 1 MOA out of 300 BO subsonic. Has anyone tried the MOS-TEK 8.6 barrels in 1:6.5?

Some other notes, I did 9 grains of Unique with the 350 makers. GRT gave me a velocity of about 1000 fps. Actual velocity was 400 fps. I sat the 350s all the way down to 1.900” using 15 grains of N110 and started getting a heavy bolt and ejector swipes.
Changed the load to 15 grains of N110 and CBTO to 1.940”. Groups shrank to 1-1.5 MOA. Average MV was 977fps. Has anyone tried N120? I’ve read that it does better for subsonics in 300 BO. I was curious if maybe it would be the same in 8.6.

Just getting started on load development. Prelims look good. Very excited about this gun.

Seekins SP10 Mos-Tek SS 10.5” 1:6.5 twist
SiCo 36M
Garmin Xero C1

1/28/24
46F 88% 29.70in

300 gr SMK HPBT (factory seconds)
A1680
FGMM 210M
BTO 2.1900
Q brass x 1 firing
BTO 2.1880
COAL 2.790
COL 1.6765
16.5 966, 985, 972, 979, 996
SD 10.3 ES 29.7 0.8” @ 50y
17.0 995, 1013, 1017, 999, 1010
1007, 1010, 997, 1009, 1023
SD 8.5 ES 27.8 1” @ 50y
17.3 1033, 1049

Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-28 17:14:30.097945.jpg

Reactions: DRWilson and Eo12
Just getting started on load development. Prelims look good. Very excited about this gun.

SiCo 36M
Garmin Xero C1

1/28/24
46F 88% 29.70in

A1680
FGMM 210M
BTO 2.1900
Q brass x 1 firing
BTO 2.1880
COAL 2.790
COL 1.6765
SD 8.5 ES 27.8 1” @ 50y
17.3 1033, 1049

View attachment 8336622
Any issues with the suppressor and the handguard? I was wanting to run this setup but worried the suppressor wouldn’t clear.

Any issues with the suppressor and the handguard? I was wanting to run this setup but worried the suppressor wouldn’t clear.
It clears. I’ll post pics. I have to direct thread obviously. There is not room to attach any 2” M-Lok picatinny pieces. The Seekins rapid attach ones with the spring loaded buttons on the end do fit but barely touch the suppressor so I wouldn’t recommend it unless you just had to. I’m ordering a one screw piece as there is a little room behind it with my 10.5” barrel I think it will fit.

Reactions: MSBRPT

SiCo 36M
Garmin Xero C1

1/28/24
46F 88% 29.70in

A1680
FGMM 210M
BTO 2.1900
Q brass x 1 firing
BTO 2.1880
COAL 2.790
COL 1.6765
SD 8.5 ES 27.8 1” @ 50y
17.3 1033, 1049

View attachment 8336622
1:6.5 twist in the wild!! Please share your thoughts. I’m waiting for my barrel.

Reactions: db2000
It clears. I’ll post pics. I have to direct thread obviously. There is not room to attach any 2” M-Lok picatinny pieces. The Seekins rapid attach ones with the spring loaded buttons on the end do fit but barely touch the suppressor so I wouldn’t recommend it unless you just had to. I’m ordering a one screw piece as there is a little room behind it with my 10.5” barrel I think it will fit.
IMG_2234.jpeg
IMG_2237.jpeg
IMG_2238.jpeg
IMG_2239.jpeg
IMG_2240.jpeg
IMG_2241.jpeg

IMG_2244.jpeg

using a .45ACP can for subsonic 8.6BLK (reloaded with 14.4gr of Accurate 1680 behind 285gr ELD-M bullets in a 12" barrel)?

Allowed cartridges for this particular suppressor list 350 Legend which has pressures upward of 55,000psi... I'm assuming a .338 projectile traveling at subsonic would be safe in such a can (assuming you have the correct barrel thread adapters)??

hint: Rugged Obsidian45

using a .45ACP can for subsonic 8.6BLK (reloaded with 14.4gr of Accurate 1680 behind 285gr ELD-M bullets in a 12" barrel)?

Allowed cartridges for this particular suppressor list 350 Legend which has pressures upward of 55,000psi... I'm assuming a .338 projectile traveling at subsonic would be safe in such a can (assuming you have the correct barrel thread adapters)??

hint: Rugged Obsidian45
Historically ELD-M bullets have been the worst for jackets separating, albeit at supersonic speeds. If you’re running a 1:3 they’re probably ok but there’s always a risk of ruining your can.

Historically ELD-M bullets have been the worst for jackets separating, albeit at supersonic speeds. If you’re running a 1:3 they’re probably ok but there’s always a risk of ruining your can.
So far so good keeping things to subsonic. 1024,974,976,1006,971,958,969,989,990 fps for the first ten rounds with my not so trusty caldwell pro chrono.
Not sure how one goes about getting pressure reading without a direct measurement of some sort?... I'll wait to hear from Rugged

So far so good keeping things to subsonic. 1024,974,976,1006,971,958,969,989,990 fps for the first ten rounds with my not so trusty caldwell pro chrono.
Not sure how one goes about getting pressure reading without a direct measurement of some sort?... I'll wait to hear from Rugged
That's a NO GO for the Obsidian 45 supporting 8.6BLK according to Rugged. If I had money to waste I might test it for myself ;)

Not necessarily directly related to reloading, but Q posted on their Instagram that SAAMI certification is anticipated in January 2024. Hopefully that opens the doors for wider adoption.
I couldn't find anything that said SAAMI approved the 8.6BLK. Maybe approval is "imminent"?

Anyone have data for 1680 using 350g Rex from a 12” barrel? I tried to run through this thread and google outside and am striking out. Just got this setup for my Fix.

I picked up a box of the Barnes 160gr TTSX and was looking at the Q data, the say OAL should be 2.70" if that is the case then only .205 of the bullet would be in the case, that would be barely the first band on the bullet. Has anyone else loaded these yet and if so what was your OAL? I am thinking of 2.575'ish maybe?