• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

8 lb pork butt...

oneshot86

Minuteman
Jul 13, 2001
citrus park ,fl
help me out with a very basic type rub and a basic way to half smoke half bbq this mother...
those pictures you guys post are nutts, i have been salivating on your pictures and been telling my super sexy lady to grab me one of those sons of bitches, pork butts or what the fuck ever...
just get me some fuckin meat, i'm gonna learn to bbq...
well fucken surprise, todays the day...
and i'm not prepared, nope, not even a little, i dont know what i'm doing to know what i need...
and i have already started drinking beer, at least i'm calm...
i have a bbq that i would really like to kick off a cliff, but my thought is one of 4 burners on low, piece of oak on top of that, cook the chunk on the other side of grill, no???
no fancy foo foo shit, just basic bad ass style...

Last time I did one of those... I did it in a sort of odd way. I cut into several big one- to two-pound hunks. Then charred the hunks on a super hot BBQ with Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Blackening spices. Try and get the BBQ to flame up. Bacon fat helps.

Then after charred, covered them with cheap (KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, mixed with tabasco, molasses, salt and garlic powder). Put in oven under tin foil for about 6 hours at low temp. 200 degrees.

Just before getting ready to serve, take out of the oven, put on more BBQ sauce and then re-BBQ at high heat. You may need to do on a cast-iron griddle as it will want to fall apart some. But you will carmelize the sauce and final 'sear' the outside.

Serve with more BBQ sauce. Cornbread. Corn on the cob... baked beans. Onion Rings.

Or do the old fashioned way... North Carolina vinegar sauce style. Mix a gallon of white vinegar with a whole can of red pepper flakes and molasses. Char the whole butt at high heat (get a good flame up). Then wrap in tin foil, leaving a hole at the top of the foil Then cook on BBQ at 200 degrees for 5-6 hours. Dousing regularly with vinegar sauce through the hole in the tinfoil. Works better with a whole pig. But you can do a butt this way, too. Serve with cole-slaw and beans and with hamburger buns... for pulled-pork sandwiches.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Throw the pork away, get a two chamber smoker, some beef brisket, and slow mesquite or hickory smoke it at 170%F or so for about 12-14 hours.

Barring that chop the pork, soak with sauce, and all it "NC style Q".

Brother Mikey, you're way too far into the day to start a Butt or Shoulder the 'conventional' way. Sir is on to your best solution if it's gotta be tonight. Gonna have to cut that bad boy down to get it cooked before sunrise unfortunately. I'd love to help ya out but I don't wanna screw ya up from here if'n ya know what I mean. I do what I do and that's what I know. I can go on the fly all rustic n shit but it's no way to cut your teeth and I ain't gonna jack up your meal. Sir is on one path to get ya going, but I'm telling ya, when ya got a day to devote to this you'd be way better off IMHO. For what you're doing and the equipment you got I'd be looking up a number of different ways to reach your goal and utilize whichever you feel most confident pulling off. Nothing is really set in stone Brother. Damn I wish I was down there right now....

yep, boy i read 14 hrs for this 8 1/2 er, i pulled the plug, i need a rub idea as we will soak the meat overnight and start it early tommarrow

Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Blackening spice.

95dc6e7e-518e-4abe-97aa-bc15e831a959_1.9d125db6a0e0b7efe2f484a0efc93dda.jpeg

Great on Pork!!!

Cheers,

Sirhr

this is my scrapped plan, not cooking this effer till tomarrow or the next day...
what can i simply do to it before i smoke it and then while i'm smoking it and what temp
i'll follow it to a t

Beef and Game Rub for Smoking

1 cup Salt
1 cup Chili powder
1 cup Black pepper
½ cup Ground all spice
¼ cup Onion powder
¼ cup Garlic powder

I use this all the time for pork shoulder. Good stuff

(It goes without saying, but the salt is Kosher salt, not table salt)

Don't overthink it. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, maybe some cayenne powder. I like my rub to be 1/3 to 1/2 brown sugar. I coat the meat in olive oil, then liberally apply the rub. Put it in the smoker at 250F until the meat gets to 160F. Pull it, wrap in foil, then back in the smoker until 200F. Wrapping it will cut HOURS off the cook time, but not negatively affect the smokey flavor. If you wrap it, you can also go into a conventional oven at a higher temp to cut even more time off the cook. But, if I've got the time I'll just wait out the "stall" and not bother with the wrap.

The above works well for brisket too, however, I've found that even though I'm from Texas I prefer a pork "butt" to a beef brisket.

A good "premade" rub is Texjoy's BBQ rub. I use it on beef, pork, and poultry.

cool, i found anouther recipe very similar, how long to let the rub sit on it, overnight? and then a slow smoke to cook it?

You can't go wrong with doubling this recipe of ingredients. If you're gonna skip any of them I would skip the dried chipotle chili pepper, and either the cumin or dry mustard, but not both. Just say'n. You can rub all your goodies all over your meat top to bottom. Leave the fat cap up cuz you're gonna cover it and won't beable to see it anymore so just put it in a big pan and cover in the fridge over night with saran wrap or something. Score/Cut some X's into the fat cap down to the meat and make sure your rub gets in there. After all your rub is on take a shit load, and I mean like 2-3 cups of brown sugar and pack it on top and leave it overnight. Get that BBQ going low n slow around 200 is fine. Squirt bottle of Apple Juice every hour after the first 2 hrs. Leave a can of warm beer, apple juice, something in there while it cooks. After the first 2 hrs spray that baby and toss some more brown sugar to it then give it a tad more spray, but don't spray off the brown sugar. Keep it going for no less than 9-10 hrs for your weather location. You can put heavy duty foil down to put it on so you don't burn the shit outta the bottom cuz ya don't want direct heat to it, open flame right on it. That's all I got man. It's a Hunter Gather'r thing and your common sense will kick in and you'll be like wow, I did good. Low n slow.........

That's all I got man. Go get a couple bottles of store bought rub and don't screw with the making it yourself right now If ya don't wanna. But get that sugar to it fo sho. :p
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon fresh-ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground dried chipotle chili pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
  • Add all ingredients to list
[h=2][/h]

I put the rub on then straight into the smoker. No waiting. I've never brined one and have never heard a complaint.

Ha, by the time I got done with War and Peace look at that !!!! Nice. You're not gonna fuck this up man. Pics...................
and good luck.:p

I put the rub on then straight into the smoker. No waiting. I've never brined one and have never heard a complaint.

Ya, brining is a different cat so what he's got to run with from all of us is spot on within a smidge or two. Go gettem Buddy.

got a plannnn..
preciate it...
i'll take some photos, i will have time to baby sit it all day

You're gonna get so fucked up it's not even funny. lmfao You better hit Costco for a 36 pack man. You're gonna need it. :eek:

regardless of rub which i can do pretty much anything, bring the pork but internal temp to about 198. Then pull it and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes. The fat inside as your pulling should solidify and u should be able to separate it out. make sure you mix the bark pieces with the ones in the middle. I usually smoke for about 6-8 hours then cover if using a stronger wood. Smoke temp for me is about 230-250. Once wrapped in foil I might just finish it in the oven at 220 until it reaches 198. You will notice the temp plateau at some point but just keep at it without raising temperature in oven or smoker. plan accordingly, i usually wake up at 3am to smoke. 3 shoulders and am usually ready to eat around 6-7 pm

Not My Pig. Just For Visual Stimulation.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/labsincbiz.weebly.com\/uploads\/8\/0\/2\/0\/80208672\/____5953494_orig.jpg"}[/IMG2]

rub is on and meat is in the fridge...
i'll smoke and cook it slow starting early tomarrow...
good visual, super pro job on that one

rub is on and meat is in the fridge...
i'll smoke and cook it slow starting early tomarrow...
good visual, super pro job on that one

You got this man. What BBQ sauce you gonna use? "I" like to put it on heavy for the last hour and then mix some in when ya pull it apart. Nom!

i was gonna follow your gig above with spraying it down with apple juice and putting brown sugar on it...
bbq sauce? no idea, i probably should buy a couple bottles at the store, yes? no?
but tomarrow morn, slow but steady

help me out with a very basic type rub and a basic way to half smoke half bbq this mother...
those pictures you guys post are nutts, i have been salivating on your pictures and been telling my super sexy lady to grab me one of those sons of bitches, pork butts or what the fuck ever...
just get me some fuckin meat, i'm gonna learn to bbq...
well fucken surprise, todays the day...
and i'm not prepared, nope, not even a little, i dont know what i'm doing to know what i need...
and i have already started drinking beer, at least i'm calm...
i have a bbq that i would really like to kick off a cliff, but my thought is one of 4 burners on low, piece of oak on top of that, cook the chunk on the other side of grill, no???
no fancy foo foo shit, just basic bad ass style...

Get a pit barrel cooker Veer....You can make the equivalent cheaper yourself but I just bought one for less than $300. It will make outrageous BBQ

You can make your own rubs or mops but this is the easiest HW to get in order to really make true BBQ.

i was gonna follow your gig above with spraying it down with apple juice and putting brown sugar on it...
bbq sauce? no idea, i probably should buy a couple bottles at the store, yes? no?
but tomarrow morn, slow but steady

You will not be disappointed with the Apple Juice and Brown Sugar. I'm telling you.

Why is this not in Nom Nom Nom where it belongs?

He's gone rogue. I'm not certain we're gonna get him back after this. Prolly gonna get all snobby n stuff. :p

Wait a minute. Shouldn't you be digesting?;)

Originally posted by Veer_G View Post

Why is this not in Nom Nom Nom where it belongs?

He's gone rogue. I'm not certain we're gonna get him back after this. Prolly gonna get all snobby n stuff. :p

Wait a minute. Shouldn't you be digesting?;)

I can multitask!

0XrSyNE.jpg?1.jpg

ive cooked a pork rib roast on a gas grill with indirect heat and it worked. Good luck.

I usually cook the pork over or in a shallow pan to collect the juices. After pulling the pork, mix some bbq sauce, apple juice and pan juices and stir through the pulled pork. Damn it, getting hungry now.

Get a pit barrel cooker Veer....You can make the equivalent cheaper yourself but I just bought one for less than $300. It will make outrageous BBQ

You can make your own rubs or mops but this is the easiest HW to get in order to really make true BBQ.

This^^^^^

Totally makes smoking meat easy peasy, and in a shorter amount of time (about 6hrs for a 8lb pork shoulder). I've had one for about two years now...I'll never not have one now.

This.

Although I'll tell you from experience that two 8-10lb butts on the Pit Barrel at the same time is a little too much for it. I managed to coax them through, but it loses efficiency when you overload it. Same goes for 2 full-size packer briskets or 8 whole chickens, in the case of the chickens I just couldn't get them done and had to move a few over to another smoker.

altered some things, had to go a little redneck with it...
i started with the butt in a big grill, meat on right, only burner on was on the left with some oak over the top of the flame...
that shit didnt work, so i went to the barn...had some old shit in their that worked, it was work baby sitting that cocksucker but damn, it worked well...
i smoked that bitch about 14 hours back and forth between 170 and 225...came out good with a capital g...
ate great, than pulled it apart and put it in beans, thats what we are eating now, just had a bowl, awesome...
i need to find some one who can throw some pics up for me...
neva saw a cat that thirsty, he keeps going...

Last edited:
altered some things, had to go a little redneck with it...
i started with the butt in a big grill, meat on right, only burner on was on the left with some oak over the top of the flame...
that shit didnt work, so i went to the barn...had some old shit in their that worked, it was work baby sitting that cocksucker but damn, it worked well...
i smoked that bitch about 14 hours back and forth between 170 and 225...came out good with a capital g...
ate great, than pulled it apart and put it in beans, thats what we are eating now, just had a bowl, awesome...
i need to find some one who can throw some pics up for me...
neva saw a cat that thirsty, he keeps going...

I'll take it.
PM Sent.
:p

There it is. Way to go buddy. Nice improv ya filthy animal. Mike C thx for hooking our guy up with the pics. ;)

the bottom bbq was a electric weber, and stupid badass i must say, loved it. i used it as the firebox, 3 pieces of firewood to support the weber on top,
and sealed all the leaks with tin foil...
worked good for some hillbilly shit

In my part of the country I'm pretty sure there's a law against cooking pork butt and not making carnitas. But if your in part of the USA that's going to stay part of the USA I suppose it's okay. :cool: Congratulations on a job well done!